PDA

View Full Version : Subversion 1.4.3 package

gabrielsaldana
March 9th, 2007, 04:34 AM
I use Subclipse to work with svn from my Eclipse IDE. I recently upgraded to subclipse 1.2 and now my repositories said that my svn client was too old.

So this brings me to the necesity of upgrading subversion, but given that on the repositories there is only version 1.3.2, I had to compile from source.

I made a package, but I'm a total newbie in this subject. I can't guarantee that it will work for you (help on this topic would be very well appreciated).

http://www.nethazard.net/subversion/subversion_1.4.3-1_i386.deb

So here I'll give you the instructions to get 1.4.3 from source in case my package didn't work.

Get subversion source:

wget http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-1.4.3.tar.gz
wget http://subversion.tigris.org/downloads/subversion-deps-1.4.3.tar.gz
and extract the files:

tar xvzf subversion-1.4.3.tar.gz
tar xvzf subversion-deps-1.4.3.tar.gz
Okay, now to the building process...

First, make sure you have all development tools

sudo aptitude install build-essential
then install some dependencies

sudo aptitude install libapr1 libapr1-dev libaprutil1 libaprutil1-dev

sudo apt-get install libneon25 libneon25-dev

sudo apt-get install libdb4.3 libdb4.3-dev db4.3-util libdb4.3++c2 libdb4.3++-dev

sudo apt-get install checkinstall auto-apt
Finally the compiling steps to build the package and install it:

auto-apt run ./configure --with-ssl --with-apr=/usr/bin/apr-config --with-apr-util=/usr/bin/apu-config

make

sudo checkinstall
and you are done.

roboguy
March 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
If you are an amd64 user you might find the following helpful http://jamesfitzsimons.blogspot.com/2007/03/subversion-143-on-ubuntu-edgy-amd64.html

andrewroth
April 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
This post is literally a year old. Why is there no 1.4 ubuntu subversion package? This feels like debian!! Everyone is compiling 1.4 themselves or using unofficial packages, someone who can should really put it in the official repository!

Co.Sinecure
April 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Agreed...I've found myself in the same situation with the code base i share between windows and linux...Tortoise SVN has upgraded to 1.4, subclipse has upgraded...

WW
April 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
This is the nature of ubuntu. If you need the latest version of a particular piece of software, you must compile it yourself. In some cases, the developers of the program or some third party may provide a binary package. Or you can prod the backporters to backport the program to whatever version of ubuntu you are using: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=40291

feisty has subversion 1.4.3, so in a few weeks, you can upgrade, and get lots of shiny new (well, relatively new) software.

jvc26
April 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
The repos are not changed once the full release comes out except for security patches and bugfixes - its to make sure that all the packages work properly with that distro of ubuntu just in case a new version breaks your ubuntu install. When you upgrade to the new Ubuntu you then get all the new packages as new as when the release comes out.
Il

Tookelso
April 6th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Thank you very much Gabrielsadana.

I didn't install your .deb package, I followed your compile instructions, and you saved me.

I've been using Eclipse, and upgraded to 1.4.3 in the Eclipse stuff. This totally messed up my other projects that weren't using Eclipse, because my svn was on version 1.3.2

Now, I can check in / check out my non-Eclipse projects from the command line!

One note:

Before you run this line

auto-apt run ./configure --with-ssl <snip>

You should cd into the subversion1.4.3 directory, because that's where the ./configure script is. You might want to edit your original post to tell newbs that they need to cd to the directory where they un-tarred the files.

Thanks again!

--Took

21croissants
April 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I have adapted a script found on internet to install in one click subversion 1.4.2 on ubuntu Edgy
check out http://21croissants.blogspot.com/2007/04/set-up-subversion-for-netbeans-on.html

donjefe
May 1st, 2007, 02:01 AM
I had no luck with the configure command, but this works for me:

apt-get install apache2-devel

auto-apt run ./configure --with-ssl --with-apxs=/usr/bin/apxs2

jespdj
May 1st, 2007, 11:00 PM
I don't know which Ubuntu version you are all using, but I'm using 7.04 (64-bit) and installed Subversion via the package management system and got version 1.4.3.

So for Ubuntu 7.04 at least there is an up-to-date Subversion package.

deez0n
June 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I don't know which Ubuntu version you are all using, but I'm using 7.04 (64-bit) and installed Subversion via the package management system and got version 1.4.3.

So for Ubuntu 7.04 at least there is an up-to-date Subversion package.

This thread is for folks still using LTS (there are a few of us out here who can't do the upgrade to Fiesty for one reason or another)

Thanks
ds

ssmohan
August 28th, 2007, 06:28 AM
I have adapted a script found on internet to install in one click subversion 1.4.2 on ubuntu Edgy
check out http://21croissants.blogspot.com/2007/04/set-up-subversion-for-netbeans-on.html

Greetings,
Thank you! I have an inspiron 1420 with triple boot of dapper/feisty/vista and all three need to use subversion to modify files in a shared partition. The script saved me a lot of hassle to get 1.4.3 running on dapper. I was trying to use prevu to accomplish the same task, but ran in to all kinds of dependency issues. The above script worked without a hitch after changing all 1.4.2 occurences to 1.4.3.

Thanks again!

honzik.nemec@seznam.cz
December 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks a lot! This howto saved the day for me :-)

antitalented
April 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hello,
I followed ur steps. everything worked fine until the make command. Below is the error log. Please help.

subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:34:19: error: expat.h: No such file or directory
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:45: error: syntax error before 'XML_Parser'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:45: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:61: error: syntax error before '}' token
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:306: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'XML_Char'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:306: error: syntax error before '*' token
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: In function 'expat_start_handler':
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:309: error: 'userData' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:309: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:309: error: for each function it appears in.)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:311: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:311: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:311: error: 'name' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:311: error: 'atts' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: At top level:
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:314: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'XML_Char'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:314: error: syntax error before '*' token
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: In function 'expat_end_handler':
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:316: error: 'userData' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:318: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:318: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:318: error: 'name' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: At top level:
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:321: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'XML_Char'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:321: error: syntax error before '*' token
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: In function 'expat_data_handler':
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:323: error: 'userData' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:325: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:325: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:325: error: 's' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:325: error: 'len' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: In function 'svn_xml_make_parser':
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:341: error: 'XML_Parser' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:341: error: syntax error before 'parser'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:343: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_SetElementHandler'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:343: error: 'parser' undeclared (first use in this function)
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:346: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_SetCharacterDataHandler'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:353: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:353: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:355: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:356: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:357: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:358: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:359: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:360: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:363: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_SetUserData'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: In function 'svn_xml_free_parser':
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:374: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_ParserFree'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:374: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:377: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: In function 'svn_xml_parse':
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:393: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_Parse'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:393: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:401: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_ErrorString'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:401: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_GetErrorCode'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:401: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:402: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XML_GetCurrentLineNumber'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:402: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:402: warning: format '%s' expects type 'char *', but argument 4 has type 'int'
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:410: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:412: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c: In function 'svn_xml_signal_bailout':
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:426: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:427: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.c:431: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make: *** [subversion/libsvn_subr/xml.lo] Error 1
anirudh@anirudh:~/subversion-1.4.3$

antitalented
April 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM
a