PDA

View Full Version : The Beginner Team has started

Pages : 1 [2] 3

plumgoofy
August 5th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I just loaded ubuntu feisty fawn 2 days ago before that i did not know anything about ubuntu i was given an old pc and wanted to try a new operating system. been a windows user my whole computer life. spent the last day trying to see what i can and cant do so far i like what im seeing. just wanted to tell everyone a little about myself and say howdy ill try not to ask to many questons that are already answered here. thanks for the future help

suebear
August 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Greetings everyone,

I stumbled my way onto this forum this AM after searching the Internet the wee hours for hours and hours for Linux and Ubuntu. I've just recently (as of this AM) downloaded the most recent version of Ubuntu LiveCD and now in the process building my system safely so it can be run. There are a few quick changes on it that need to be done however I don't see too much of an issue at this moment in time.

At any rate, a little about me. My name is Sue and I'm just pleased to be here with all of you. I've been fussing in the computer industry for many moons. I have been working with computers since the TRS-80s or as some used to call them Trash-80s. LOL! Of course, they weren't the greatest pieces of equipment but at the time they were all we had. Anyway. I'm familiar with M$ operating systems and the dinosaur CPUs (286s, 386, etc) As a matter of fact, the idea of having a custom system is what really gives me a charge on liking the idea of having open source software. Build it with minimal money and make it the way I want it.

I'm on hiatus from my IT career and in college full time for my MBA in IT, my under grad was in Management Information Systems. In the process of doing my undergraduate degree, I started a web development consulting business. I work with small business owners and have been paying close attention to what the needs are of businesses in general. In doing that it has helped me build my own plan of action.

I testing open source software with the business and determine if it will be "worth" using for future needs either my own or a client's. Something which has helped me tremendously with a learning curve and I've grown very accustomed to having software that you can use and make your own which is another thing that has turned me towards Ubuntu. *breathe* Yes, I can talk a lot at times when it comes to computers and business. On a good note, I do have a funny sense of humor in between my remarks at times. LOL!

Anyway. I'd like to get involved with this if I can help some how. I'll add more as I can come up with things. I do have a question. I have an IT blog. Does Ubuntu have a blog that can be linked?

Regards,
Sue

csmyth
August 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

I am new to Ubuntu and almost new to Linux. I've used Linspire for the past few years but I'm still a Linux newbie when it comes to the nuts and bolts of the system. I'm slowly working on learning Linux and a beginner's forum like this is perfect for slow learners like me.

I installed Ubuntu 7.04 as a dual boot on my new Dell Dell Dimension desktop. It came loaded with Windows Vista. I'm very impressed with Ubuntu - it seems to be a very mature and easy to use operating system.

This post is just to give all of the "team" a big thank you for the time and effort you put in to helping newbies such as myself.

Chris:)

Klumzy
August 6th, 2007, 07:55 AM
WOW! Thanks for starting this beginner thread. I qualify. Bigtime. I have wanted to learn to use Linux for quite some time, and on my son's recommendation, Ubuntu fills the bill for me. Friendly system, friendly forums ... can't go wrong!

I have just joined you here and I guess I'm very self-conscious about asking stoooopit questions. I am configuring two identical Dell PCs with 7.04. So far so good, :) but because these Dells don't have built-in sound, I'm looking for ideas on cheap sound cards that Ubuntu likes. One of my two is currently running a soundblaster MP3+ for USB and it runs great...but I only have one. If I can find an internal card I can get two of, I'll set these Dimension XPSs up identically. Cheers! And thanks again to a team who really cares about us newbz.

K

threethirty
August 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
My LUG has a video series on how to get Ubuntu running at rlugubuntuhelp.blogspot.com it goes from how to download the ISO to installing software using Synaptic. There is a mailing list tread where you can request other videos. I only mention this because I remember how hard it was starting out. Some of this stuff you really need to see done once before you can do it.

umbrellaco
August 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hello, I too want to say thank you for starting this thread I have not found anything so geared toward the beginner until this. I do have some questions so please excuse me if I have missed somewhere they have already been covered. All the so called help and tutorials, and how-to's seem to be written for people who already know what they are doing. Is there anyone who knows how to or where to find some sort of translation. I know that I can learn quickly if I can just get the hang of the very basic things but those are the ONLY things I cannot find help on. phrases such as "cd this to your desktop" and all of this craziness. I got Ubuntu for one reason and that is that I am very anti monopoly and not so much because I like to tinker with computer. I do like to a little but I need somewhere to start. So here is what I did. I downloaded ubuntu burned the iso to a cd restarted my pc booted from cd, installed ubuntu and ubuntu has not changed since its initial install because I cant figure anything out. I cant install programs drivers or anything else. another big prob. in GRUB windows xp pro appears but does not boot... just says starting up... It says root (hd0,0) and I tried every possible alteration to that line and it doesnt boot I need help but I need spoonfed how do I find the actual fix to the windows boot prob. how do I get realplayer, yahoo msngr, my HP printer and my Logitech rumblepad2 ps2 video game controller to work on ubuntu. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me.

bodhi.zazen
August 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
All good questions umbrellaco

BUT, this is not a support thread, so I advise posting your questions in Absolute Beginner Talk, I's sure you will get a rapid response ....

skipknyc
August 11th, 2007, 04:21 AM
All good questions umbrellaco

BUT, this is not a support thread, so I advise posting your questions in Absolute Beginner Talk, I's sure you will get a rapid response ....
I hope this finds you well.

Bought a new Dell laptop with Ubuntu Fiesty pre-installed about two weeks ago and, Linux noob that I am, I've only had to re-install it once, so far.

I love it here.

I'm off to Absolute Beginners Talk.

A thousand thanks for thinking of absolute beginners, like me,

Bogcat
August 11th, 2007, 11:29 PM
This is my first day with Ubuntu. I've never run Linux before, so I have a lot to learn. I'm really glad this section of the forum exists!

So... Hi everyone! It's good to know I'm not alone in this windows-free world.

MenZa
August 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
This is my first day with Ubuntu. I've never run Linux before, so I have a lot to learn. I'm really glad this section of the forum exists!

So... Hi everyone! It's good to know I'm not alone in this windows-free world.

Welcome to the wonderful world of freedom! :)

bwtranch
August 12th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Sounds Good. Count me in.

LudovicusRex
August 12th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Hello,

I am a very beginner in computers and I am trying to install Ubuntu on my new dell Vostro laptop. I am having problems even when I use the information I gathered on your very documented forum threads and I keep asking questions BUT nobody seams to answer.

I would like to know if I am not asking the good questions or not to with the right words.
If there is a "code to follow" or some rules to respect to have my questions answered, please let me know.

I really want to use Ubuntu on my new laptop, because on my previous one it worked very well and I was very satisfied with it.

Thank you for your answer.

kteagan84
August 13th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new Ubuntu user, and so far I love it! The only other previous experience I've had with Linux was Fedora Core on an older PC, which I enjoyed. During this time I grew an appreciation for the simplicity of the GNOME desktop :). I just set up Ubuntu 7.04 on an older Dell Dimension 2300 because Windows XP was getting sluggish. Ubuntu Feisty Fawn is much faster and seems more reliable so far.

This forum has been a great help for me as I've customized my system. It is much more friendly than other Linux forums I've found...

Well, just wanted to introduce myself, and as I get more accustomed to Ubuntu, hopefully I can contribute more to these forums.

irish_flu
August 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hello,

I am a very beginner in computers and I am trying to install Ubuntu on my new dell Vostro laptop. I am having problems even when I use the information I gathered on your very documented forum threads and I keep asking questions BUT nobody seams to answer.

I would like to know if I am not asking the good questions or not to with the right words.
If there is a "code to follow" or some rules to respect to have my questions answered, please let me know.

I really want to use Ubuntu on my new laptop, because on my previous one it worked very well and I was very satisfied with it.

Thank you for your answer.

Hey buddy, there's a new "Dell" subforum here, you might try posting in there and see if you get better responses.

jayaramk
August 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
thxxx for creating this community... i am a mewbie in learning linux and i feel that this ciommunity will help me a lot...

punkrokk
August 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM
where would I go if I wanted to help?

bodhi.zazen
August 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
where would I go if I wanted to help?

You have come to the right place

either search the forums with the search function of start a new thread in ABT (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73)

donkolion
August 18th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Just joined the forum after installing the fawn, how do I get more colors for my display, I do not seem to have anything but three or four desktop themes.

bodhi.zazen
August 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Just joined the forum after installing the fawn, how do I get more colors for my display, I do not seem to have anything but three or four desktop themes.

http://www.gnome-look.org/

donkolion
August 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM
thanks for the quick response Bodhi.

rharriso
August 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I've been using ubuntu for the last year, just recently started using the forum, and I have to say, I'm really impressed by the support system that the Ubuntu community has. I've tried using other Distros such as SUSE and Fedora but I found getting information rather difficult. I hope that I can help out others in the community.

loza
August 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Hi all

I used to be into linux in 1993 but then I got distracted by lots of windoze and network implementations.

I just started using Ubuntu this month and I think its just fantastic! I love the Ubuntu message and ethos, it really fits into my way of thinking.

I loaded Ubuntu onto a toshiba satellite pro (nothing flashy) and its running just fine. I'm amazed at the new developments and evolution since the last time I touched linux.

I've ran up a few of the distros around but I think I've settled for Ubuntu - it just 'feels' right to me to do my everyday 'stuff'.

Anyway this site looks cool, I'm hoping to get involved somehow if my workload allows and I catch up on the curve. I'm very happy to be back in linuxland, penguin computing!

I wish Ubuntu every success...

loza

sythen
August 20th, 2007, 04:34 AM
i just started using Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago. and after 10 years of using windows. he he i don't need it anymore. nice. clean. and very well made. solid and a rock. easy to install. quick to boot.

jpsimm
August 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Team,

Back in the days of the Commodores (not the band) I studied and learned Basic and had lots of fun learning. Now, years and lot's of changes in computers since, here I am wanting to learn more. But not with MS or Apple. They are too restrictive, problematic and require too much attention in other areas. They do not promise much "intellectual adventure" and associations in those other OS's are not "fun" like here in the Linux community. There have been times in the past where I've had to call some guy in India to say, "I'm only changing the hard drive in my computer" and "get permission" as it seemed before I could re-install. It's easy not to like that sort of thing.

So here I am. There are lots of flavors but I like the philosophy put forth by Ubuntu. I want to make a clean break from XP. Sure right now my sound doesn't work yet and I don't seem to have as much control with my printer and scanner as I would like and playing videos? Well, I trust all will be sorted out and that's the reason I take the trouble to write this intro. I really appreciate the idea of a group of you banding to help out.

Right now I sort of like Xubuntu 6.04 64 but am thinking that it might be smart for a newbie to stick with the "brown" until more is learned. I don't know for sure. I have a CD with Ubuntu 6.10 64. Maybe I should change to that before I get too involved.

My 'puter is an AMD 64 with 1 Gig RAM and a 3-D video which works well at least I can play those games like Neverball and the effects seem right.

Thanks again and be patient with me. I feel like a kid again with this.

JPS

Dark Star
August 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Been using Linux since I was 14'th .. Have a year + experience with Ubuntu :) WIll contribute as much as I can /:)

cosbear
August 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Team,

Back in the days of the Commodores (not the band) I studied and learned Basic and had lots of fun learning. Now, years and lot's of changes in computers since, here I am wanting to learn more. But not with MS or Apple. They are too restrictive, problematic and require too much attention in other areas. They do not promise much "intellectual adventure" and associations in those other OS's are not "fun" like here in the Linux community. There have been times in the past where I've had to call some guy in India to say, "I'm only changing the hard drive in my computer" and "get permission" as it seemed before I could re-install. It's easy not to like that sort of thing.

So here I am. There are lots of flavors but I like the philosophy put forth by Ubuntu. I want to make a clean break from XP. Sure right now my sound doesn't work yet and I don't seem to have as much control with my printer and scanner as I would like and playing videos? Well, I trust all will be sorted out and that's the reason I take the trouble to write this intro. I really appreciate the idea of a group of you banding to help out.

Right now I sort of like Xubuntu 6.04 64 but am thinking that it might be smart for a newbie to stick with the "brown" until more is learned. I don't know for sure. I have a CD with Ubuntu 6.10 64. Maybe I should change to that before I get too involved.

My 'puter is an AMD 64 with 1 Gig RAM and a 3-D video which works well at least I can play those games like Neverball and the effects seem right.

Thanks again and be patient with me. I feel like a kid again with this.

JPS

Welcome jpsimm:

I too remember what they called Pet Basic. Back then the Commodore company was started and owned by a member of the Pet Milk Family. I learned some basic on my C64 and later a C128. When the Amiga came out I was in love. I bought the first A500 as soon as it hit the shelves at the local Amiga store. I was a member of Commodore and Amiga groups for years. Back then we networked through locally run bulletin board services (BBS's) which you connected to over phone lines. I still remember struggling to pay my ATT long distance bills. No one but college geeks had even heard of the internet let alone had access. Groups communicated by connecting to the BBS;s. I'll never forget how I wracked my brain trying to figure out how to customize Amiga startup scripts. There were no schools, or even books yet; there were user groups. I started a local user group which met Saturday mornings at the Community College. I was working for a cable access company funded by the local public High Schools and talked them into buying an Amiga 1000 to generate an animated crawl with local time, news and weather info. Amiga was the only personal computer back then that could create digital video and animation which could run at the Broadcast standard of 60 frames a second. Hardly anyone but old Amigaheads remember this stuff anymore. Guess I'm dating both of us. I'll never forget when Washington University opened the Commodore and Amiga archives online, which later became the largest archive of free software in the world; and still was until just a few years back. It had mirror sites in countries all over the world. Probably still does.

Amiga video and animation started my business for me. When the Amiga 2000 came out and a company called Newtek, I believe, came out with the Video Toaster; I started building customized video and animation workstations and editing suites. I could offer companies that created video in house an editing suite for 8 to 10 thousand dollars including everything, that beat the pants off of dedicated workstations that started at over $100,000. All of a sudden I was averaging over a $100 an hour in the Denver area and had to hire employees to keep up with the demand. We used multiple Amiga workstations and networked them together with Sun Unix boxes. Later we used Silicon Graphics boxes for rendering the video because they were so much faster and a friend of mine at SG in Denver gave me an excellent price on them. I opened one of the first private local ISPs in Colorado back then. What a headache. Oh well, I hadn't meant to run on like this but just hearing the Commodore name sent me reeling back through time and space. I have a tendency to be verbose anyway. Technical writers should know better.

Welcome to the Ubuntu forums and to the wonderful world of free source computing. It does remind me of the old days in some ways. It is community driven for the most part. If Linux groups would put aside their differences and all pull together the way the Commodore and Amiga communities did we could change the world in many ways. I would suggest moving up to Ubuntu 7.04 myself. It is more hardware friendly out of the box. Feel free to pivate message me or send an email if you need a little personal help. Great to hear from someone who's heard of Commodore. Later... cosbear

Dark Star
August 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hi all

I used to be into linux in 1993 but then I got distracted by lots of windoze and network implementations.

I just started using Ubuntu this month and I think its just fantastic! I love the Ubuntu message and ethos, it really fits into my way of thinking.

I loaded Ubuntu onto a toshiba satellite pro (nothing flashy) and its running just fine. I'm amazed at the new developments and evolution since the last time I touched linux.

I've ran up a few of the distros around but I think I've settled for Ubuntu - it just 'feels' right to me to do my everyday 'stuff'.

Anyway this site looks cool, I'm hoping to get involved somehow if my workload allows and I catch up on the curve. I'm very happy to be back in linuxland, penguin computing!

loza

1993:o :popcorn: Welcome .. Hope to see ya around :guitar:

cosbear
August 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hi all

loza

Howdy Ioza:

Welcome to the community of Ubuntu. This forum is a great resource with lots of nice folks who are willing to help. Y'all come back dyahear. Later... cosbear

cosbear
August 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
i just started using Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago. and after 10 years of using windows. he he i don't need it anymore. nice. clean. and very well made. solid and a rock. easy to install. quick to boot.

Howdy sythen:

Welcome to the community. Your right, Ubuntu is solid. I use a lot of distro's in my business to meet customers needs but my Ubuntu feisty server is the backbone of my computing world. I know what you mean about Windoze, I would have tried anything to escape. I install it on customers computers, mostly running on virtual machines on top of Ubuntu. I refuse to support it; however, unless they promise to never use it to go online and use Linux for that instead. I'm tired of breaking my brains chasing worms and varments. Have fun. Later...cosbear

Boaslad
August 25th, 2007, 03:56 AM
As a full-on noob, I fully appreciate the idea a "Beginner Team". Transitioning from Windows is TOUGH. The farther out I get the deeper the water seems to be. It's nice to know there is a "floatation" device available. Your efforts are not unappreciated.

SpiritIsReality
August 26th, 2007, 07:08 PM
howdy

free linux books online
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484846
for us beginners

trails

fuzzylogic
August 29th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I'm having extreme difficulty to load ubuntu because I'm not to sharp on computers. I downloaded ubuntu 6.10 to a folder and this is what happens when I tried to open it, "windows cannot open this file: Ubuntu 6.10-desktop-i386.iso". So my question is what am I supposed to do next? I like to load on my secondary Win Me HD.

n3u
August 29th, 2007, 10:11 AM
fuzzylogic: I'm having extreme difficulty to load ...

what do u want with click the source of ubuntu.iso,
if u want to install it , u must burning the source to CD,,,,
then boot ur PC ....

abhilash82
August 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM
It is an image file that you are trying to open through Windows. So you need to burn it to a CD using Nero or any other image writing software to a CD and have to reboot with that CD. You can go through the below link to help you in you installation.

Since you are new to Linux and Ubuntu I would recommed you to downlad the Ubuntu Feisty Faawn 7.04 iso file to start with Linux. You can also order a CD through Ubuntu's website.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html

carmel dukas
August 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM
ok. so after years of trying to deal with linux os finelly i have one on my very nice new laptop.
i tried to install linux os few times before and everytime it didnt work out and screw my windows os.
now i have studied a lot about windows systems (mcse) and i feel like it is the best time to deal with the linux after i heard for so many times that it is much more simple then microsoft and much more proffesional as you would like it to be.
i am coming from a background of programming in the old computer languages, hardware knowledge, windows knowledge.
hope of aa dream to have an easier environment and less capitalist...
this looks likr the best place to start with!
my problems for now are - that i don't know how to do all of the advanced settings.
i feel like a complete stupid because i have no sound and i dont know how to fix it.
i lost the panels and i dont know how to create a new one.
i don't know what to do... where to go how to handle ahhh!
once again i have installed the linux and it deleted my win xp pro version and i am so tired of installing windows so i decided to keep only ubuntu on my system.
whats up with this terminal???
i would like to know how the system exactlly work and would like to support and bring many new users to this environment.
people are trust me when i speak about computers they belive i am a proffesional.
i may know some about windows but have no clue about linux.
i am coming from israel by the way
and glad to begin to be a part of

SpiritIsReality
August 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM
howdy

as good a site map as anywhere
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

important links here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=232059

free books here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484846&highlight=free+books

trails

papermoon
August 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM
cool thanks!

cosbear
August 29th, 2007, 11:49 PM
ok. so after years of trying to deal with linux os finelly i have one on my very nice new laptop.
i tried to install linux os few times before and everytime it didnt work out and screw my windows os.
now i have studied a lot about windows systems (mcse) and i feel like it is the best time to deal with the linux after i heard for so many times that it is much more simple then microsoft and much more proffesional as you would like it to be.
i am coming from a background of programming in the old computer languages, hardware knowledge, windows knowledge.
hope of aa dream to have an easier environment and less capitalist...
this looks likr the best place to start with!
my problems for now are - that i don't know how to do all of the advanced settings.
i feel like a complete stupid because i have no sound and i dont know how to fix it.
i lost the panels and i dont know how to create a new one.
i don't know what to do... where to go how to handle ahhh!
once again i have installed the linux and it deleted my win xp pro version and i am so tired of installing windows so i decided to keep only ubuntu on my system.
whats up with this terminal???
i would like to know how the system exactlly work and would like to support and bring many new users to this environment.
people are trust me when i speak about computers they belive i am a proffesional.
i may know some about windows but have no clue about linux.
i am coming from israel by the way
and glad to begin to be a part of

Hello Carmel:

Welcome to Linux and this forum. I know exactly what you mean. I started out on Amiga computers and the Amiga Operating System and then the company that made them went bankrupt. I had a business built on custom built Amiga's and went from a prosperous entrepreneur to another guy with a barely functioning business. So I started using the Windows Operating System and went from expert to beginner overnight. Then in the last year or two I decided I was sick and tired of everything about Windows and wanted to change to Linux. So once again I was nearly a beginner.

There are a lot of smart people on this forum who are more than willing to help you out. If you want help though you need to give us some information. What opperating system and which version are you using. What kind of laptop do you have, what is the processor your using, how much ram is installed and what size hard drive do you have? You will also get more help if you are very specific about your questions. You will see that this forum is broken into a lot of categories, which are specific to the questions being asked and the answers that are available. You can look through the forum or search it and probably find people have already asked the same questions you have and there are already answers on here. Also there is online documentation available here with lots of information: https://help.ubuntu.com/

So once again welcome and I know the water seems deep but in a few weeks or months you will be amazed how far you have come. Remember no matter how different operating systems look or seem at first, they have a lot more things in common than differences. Most of what you know already about Windows will still apply in many ways to what you learn about Ubuntu. Looking forward to seeing you on the forum. In a few months I may be asking you questions, because no matter how much you know there is always much more to learn. Later... cosbear

DarinB
August 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks i really like this project.

BTW what are the beans about???

DarinB
August 31st, 2007, 12:24 AM
I guess i really am a beginner i jsut found the rules of the forum
thanks every one

Sean14
September 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM
im new to this whole linux thing,and i need some help,i dont know what to do when i download a Bin. file unto my computer,what should i do?:confused:

SpiritIsReality
September 2nd, 2007, 05:01 AM
howdy

these links here lead to good advice
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=232059
from the sticky threads on this page
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

trails

Onelostpuppy
September 2nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
An introduction PDF with ubuntu would be cool. Also an explantion of how to use the command line. Lastly a more rounded program, for example sound preinstalled.

zyun580
September 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Good ideas, I'm a new here, I need such a team
:)

nikoPSK
September 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM
I have a question,

I am using xubuntu 7.04 fiesty fawn and I am trying to install on my Dell latitude laptop
with 128 megs of ram and a p2 processor I am using the alternative install cd and It asks what language, then my country, then it determines keyboard layout then it finds all my internals but then I get a screen where I can type stuff. I don not know what to type I know something about me having to download from a server I have internet connection. But plz walk me through the installation or give me a link to a site that will.:)

spur
September 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I have a question,

I am using xubuntu 7.04 fiesty fawn and I am trying to install on my Dell latitude laptop
with 128 megs of ram and a p2 processor I am using the alternative install cd and It asks what language, then my country, then it determines keyboard layout then it finds all my internals but then I get a screen where I can type stuff. I don not know what to type I know something about me having to download from a server I have internet connection. But plz walk me through the installation or give me a link to a site that will.:)
You should ask this as a normal thread in the beginners forum.
If your laptop is connected to the internet it should auto set up the place it downloads from. You should not have to type anything. That is the way the alternate cd worked for me anyway. Check it is using the right device. If not it should still install. Unless you have a minimal cd that has nothing else on it. I didn't think they were available though. Also this could be a xubuntu thing as I have used kubuntu and Ubuntu only.

the bioengineer
September 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
What I really need is a GUI interactive tutorial.

There is so much jargon and slang for the computer world, and (I wish no offense to anyone) the Linux community is notorious for using jargon and short-answers to questions. Although I feel that they(Linux power-users) keep it short and to the point as to not overstate anything or underestimate the intelligence of the questioner, this leads to large amounts of confusion for those of us who are new.

"Simple, just ..." and "It's easy, all you need to do is..." may suffice for one-problem questions. But this forum is getting clogged with one-problem answers. And to top it off, the answers are getting harder to find as the threads wander to-and-fro. This is not so much an issue of thread control as it is an issue of the nature of human communication.

And THAT is the point I wish to emphasize. The human-to-human interaction of transferring information from one person to another is incredibly inefficient. Think about it - it takes at least 12-20 years for a human child to be "educated" in western culture. Plop the same child in front of an interactive GUI and you halve that time. Foreign language classes can take two to three years of college semesters to achieve fluency, but Rosetta Stone software can accomplish a nearly identical result in six months.

I know this is getting long-winded, but if you can give me a macromedia or quiktime play-by-play tutorial then most of my questions will be answered. But I am no programmer, and although I can power-use WinXP I am ignorant of the ways of Linux. And I am frustrated with searching for answers one-by-one, especially when the threads go on forever (75 pages? Who has that kind of time to hope for an answer?). I want to use Linux, want to be educated, want to know what the masters know.

Until my "Linux Bible" book comes in the mail I search the forums in desperation. But I feel a GUI interactive would be a better way for all.

mostwanted
September 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM
What I really need is a GUI interactive tutorial.

There is so much jargon and slang for the computer world, and (I wish no offense to anyone) the Linux community is notorious for using jargon and short-answers to questions. Although I feel that they(Linux power-users) keep it short and to the point as to not overstate anything or underestimate the intelligence of the questioner, this leads to large amounts of confusion for those of us who are new.

"Simple, just ..." and "It's easy, all you need to do is..." may suffice for one-problem questions. But this forum is getting clogged with one-problem answers. And to top it off, the answers are getting harder to find as the threads wander to-and-fro. This is not so much an issue of thread control as it is an issue of the nature of human communication.

And THAT is the point I wish to emphasize. The human-to-human interaction of transferring information from one person to another is incredibly inefficient. Think about it - it takes at least 12-20 years for a human child to be "educated" in western culture. Plop the same child in front of an interactive GUI and you halve that time. Foreign language classes can take two to three years of college semesters to achieve fluency, but Rosetta Stone software can accomplish a nearly identical result in six months.

I know this is getting long-winded, but if you can give me a macromedia or quiktime play-by-play tutorial then most of my questions will be answered. But I am no programmer, and although I can power-use WinXP I am ignorant of the ways of Linux. And I am frustrated with searching for answers one-by-one, especially when the threads go on forever (75 pages? Who has that kind of time to hope for an answer?). I want to use Linux, want to be educated, want to know what the masters know.

Until my "Linux Bible" book comes in the mail I search the forums in desperation. But I feel a GUI interactive would be a better way for all.

If it were simple video tutorials you were looking for, why not spend a few seconds looking for those instead of writing a long reply stating your need for them? :) Google has numerous search results which apply. Here's one:

http://ubuntuclips.org/

I do agree that tutorials and guides should be more graphical and in layman's terms. I made my own guide once trying to do just that (it's at http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing if you're interested).

MRMuaz
September 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

AznMnky2004
September 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Greetings, I installed a program for Ubuntu called wubi. For thoset that don't know it allows you to run linux without changing your current OS or dropping it alltogether. However, the reason of my post is, that I chose this so I could familiarize myself with linux. A problem that I have though is I am new to all this, and don't really have any knowledge of code (Learning python currently) I am trying to figure out how to trouble shoot known issues for a linux install on my current model of laptop which is a Dell XPS M1210. I don't seem to have enough knowledge to fix this though, and I was wondering if anyone had links for tuts or papers that I could view or if anyone has any knowledge of Linux on this type of system; your asisstance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

kteagan84
September 24th, 2007, 07:11 AM
An introduction PDF with ubuntu would be cool. Also an explantion of how to use the command line. Lastly a more rounded program, for example sound preinstalled.

Hi, just read this post. There are a lot of websites devoted to command line operations, but I've found it's more useful to go to the library and get a linux (preferably an ubuntu-specific) book that guides you through using the command line.

Also, check out your "examples" folder (should be in your "home" folder if you did a standard ubuntu install) for some documentation and presentations explaining Ubuntu. It's kind of like an introduction.

Sorry to hear sound wasn't working right away. Hopefully you got that fixed!

jupetsu
September 25th, 2007, 04:56 AM
I have managed to install ZSNES yesterday using synaptics manager. I am just wondering where am I supposed to find the "executable"? It didn't appear on the applications/games.:confused:

oneword
September 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Good! I'll gather all my problems and present them logically asap. Hope for real help.

bodhi.zazen
September 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Welcome to everyone, welcome to Linux, Ubuntu, and the Ubuntu forums.

The Beginner Team is running strong and there are several active members \o/

Please keep in mind that this is not the best thread for support, but please feel free to post in Absolute Beginner Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73), General Help (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131), or the 64-bit forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134).

Also, just a general FYI, we are interested in recruiting members to the Hardware Team as well.

USPB
September 28th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Can I join you guys?

Presto123
September 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone. I could join this team and be the poster child for what NOT to do. LOL.

FYI: I am new to Ubuntu and already love the system.

I have found that once you actually understand how it works, it is quite easy to use and I love the password protected features it has.

I would like to pass on to fellow beginners something (Especially if they have the same, or close to same machine):

First off, my computer info:

EMachines W2686 with an AMD Athlon (2.12ghz), 1gig RAM, Nvidia GEForce 6200 256mb card, 160gig HD running dual monitors...etc. (Most of everything I have listed has been changed from the original factory settings if you are wondering. Equals to about a $1k+ machine now.)

To begin: BURN AN IMAGE and not just a boot (Ubuntu forums are a lifesaver!) in Roxio Media or Nero. (I have both programs because each came with two different computers.)

Second: If it doesn't autoload from the disk and you're a newb like me...don't try to use the command prompt yet!

3rd: Install the Nvidia driver, then load it's setting manager for dual-screens. :)

Lastly: If you crash an eMachines...walk away, take several deep breaths and bite the bullet and reinstall the whole crappy thing.

Once I realized all of this and realized that if I had paid attention to the forums, etc. I might not have had to re-install Windows (dual-boot purposes) and SP2.

Oh, and in Windows, if you have to reinstall with a Nvidia graphics card, remove it before reinstall, get SP2 THEN install it.

jefflongthegreat
October 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
hello ubuntu guys, im new here
i just want to be informed about triple booting or running side by side opensuse, xp and ubuntu.
now i just come up to dual boot ubuntu 6.06 lts and windows xp.
i really cant use my ubuntu now because of i cant install the driver of my motherboard and lan components of it. thats why i cant totally influence my brothers and friends with linux operating system because myself cant run it quite normaly. all i can do is keep on showing them fantastic videos from youtube like opensuse/ubuntu6.06/ubuntu7.04/ubuntuultimateedition with compiz/kibadock/xgl/beryl/wine running in harmony with windows and mac os.

Its really fun to watch and to show it off with others but i can actually infuence them in using linux based os. but the only question to me is how?

i am patient and stubborn,i really want those videos in youtube to happen in my desktop.
i have tried downloading lots of kinds/versions/iso files/image of ubuntu/opensuse. trust me and i have burned more than a dozen cds and dvds just to make this happen and i always end up reformating my sytem and installing windows xp. i fall a sleep with linux on my mind. i think of it more than i think of my girlfriend. haha thats why..
i need help here.
what are the things to download?
what are the steps?
what do i need?
what are the things i need to know? what is aixgl, fiesty fawn, dapper, etc.

by the way, my system is AMD athlon(tm) 64 X2 dual
core processor 4800+ 2.63 GHz, 1.00 GB of ram, ASrock motherboard ALiveNFS-VSTA, DVD rewriter sata. thats all i know.

thanks much guys.

Ciansy
October 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Hello,

I'm a very new Linux user and I'm really excited about using Ubuntu to manage my college work and media collection. However, I'm having lots of problems that I just can't seem to get around. First, I was looking for an app that would allow me to view youtube and google videos. I found that whenever I download something to my workspace and try to do anything with it via the terminal, I'm told that the file does not exist. Am I missing out part of the file name, or is there something more seriously wrong?

My second problem was with Amarok, which I am trying to use to organise my mp3 collection from a Creative Zen player. Whenever I try to copy files to my collection, the message 'sorry, # files could not be organised' comes up. Any ideas? The player is recognised and the files aren't data protected.

Thanks for taking the time to help me,

Cian

Mazza558
October 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Hello,

I'm a very new Linux user and I'm really excited about using Ubuntu to manage my college work and media collection. However, I'm having lots of problems that I just can't seem to get around. First, I was looking for an app that would allow me to view youtube and google videos. I found that whenever I download something to my workspace and try to do anything with it via the terminal, I'm told that the file does not exist. Am I missing out part of the file name, or is there something more seriously wrong?

My second problem was with Amarok, which I am trying to use to organise my mp3 collection from a Creative Zen player. Whenever I try to copy files to my collection, the message 'sorry, # files could not be organised' comes up. Any ideas? The player is recognised and the files aren't data protected.

Thanks for taking the time to help me,

Cian

If you want a seperate app for watching Youtube videos, try Miro (used to be Democracy Player). It should be in the repos, in "Add/Remove".

LuisC-SM
October 4th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Welcome to everyone, welcome to Linux, Ubuntu, and the Ubuntu forums.

Also, just a general FYI, we are interested in recruiting members to the Hardware Team as well.
This is a team where I 'd really like to be in. As soon as I finish my assembling/disassembling laptop course I hope to be part of it.
Regards
Luis

bodhi.zazen
October 4th, 2007, 04:44 AM
This is a team where I 'd really like to be in. As soon as I finish my assembling/disassembling laptop course I hope to be part of it.
Regards
Luis

When you are ready, we would love to have you on board ...

kelpraj
October 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM
i have recently purchased windows vista home premium and im completley new to linux and ubuntu for that matter. I recently downloaded ubuntu 7.04 and then burnt onto one cdr and when i read the instructions it said that when you restart your computer it will run straight away from the cd without installing anything but when i restarted my computer autoplay came up and it listed two options run and open files and when i clicked run a page came up that listed firefox thunderbird and abiword i think and some other software asking me to download these but what i want is the ubuntu environment not the software some of which i already have in the form of firefox and etc please can someone get me started

LuisC-SM
October 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM
i have recently purchased windows vista home premium and im completley new to linux and ubuntu for that matter. I recently downloaded ubuntu 7.04 and then burnt onto one cdr and when i read the instructions it said that when you restart your computer it will run straight away from the cd without installing anything but when i restarted my computer autoplay came up and it listed two options run and open files and when i clicked run a page came up that listed firefox thunderbird and abiword i think and some other software asking me to download these but what i want is the ubuntu environment not the software some of which i already have in the form of firefox and etc please can someone get me started
It most likely seems to be running on vista and not at boot time.
I think you should tell your BIOS to boot from CD
Cheers
Luis

Smith
October 9th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I finally took the plunge and installed Ubuntu on Sunday night, got it working fully last night after reading through some of the help posted here. I've had a couple of interesting niggles to sort out but most are all fixed. The remaining ones I'll query in the relevant areas.

I just wanted to make a quick comment in here to say "Thank You!" as while I may be more familiar with computers than some I'm VERY new to Linux. The information I've read so far has turned what was, up until yesterday evening, a very frustrating experience into something of a result.

LuisC-SM
October 10th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I finally took the plunge and installed Ubuntu on Sunday night, got it working fully last night after reading through some of the help posted here. I've had a couple of interesting niggles to sort out but most are all fixed. The remaining ones I'll query in the relevant areas.

I just wanted to make a quick comment in here to say "Thank You!" as while I may be more familiar with computers than some I'm VERY new to Linux. The information I've read so far has turned what was, up until yesterday evening, a very frustrating experience into something of a result.
I'm not allowed to post under someone's name but, under the ubuntu team's name (I assume the risk :D)
YOU ARE WELCOME !!!!
Fell free to post whatever you feel and like. There are very many places where you will find lots of information concerning any interest or problem, if not... you can always open a new thread and there will be somebody to discuss it and willing to help you.
Welcome to ubuntu, you will never regret it
Luis

zipzap_kill
October 14th, 2007, 07:51 PM
sir from last 8 years i am in computing field in india i am using windos from windows 3.11 till now vista edition but i am egger to know about linux as it is a free os will ur guide me and teac me linux from basic commands

bodhi.zazen
October 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM
sir from last 8 years i am in computing field in india i am using windos from windows 3.11 till now vista edition but i am egger to know about linux as it is a free os will ur guide me and teac me linux from basic commands

That is what the beginners team is here for :)

It will take a while ...

If you have a specific question, feel free to start a thread.

http://www.pixelbeat.org/cmdline.html
http://doc.gwos.org/newdoc/doku.php/clibeginner
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Command_Reference
http://www.ss64.com/bash/
http://linuxcommand.org/

Oh, and I fully respect your tone and culture, but here at Ubuntu we are all equals, part of the Ubuntu ethos, so no need to call anyone "sir".

Nerdyn
October 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Thank you!

pieisgood4589
October 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Hello! I am a HUGE fan of Ubuntu, and would like to be an admin. Is this in anyway possible? :confused:

PS
I stay on the comp 24/7 so I know what I'm talking about. You can check out my posts! :popcorn:

Dr Small
October 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Hello! I am a HUGE fan of Ubuntu, and would like to be an admin. Is this in anyway possible? :confused:

PS
I stay on the comp 24/7 so I know what I'm talking about. You can check out my posts! :popcorn:
LOL. An admin ?
Hmm, I don't foresee that happening, but you could request to join the Beginners Team.

pieisgood4589
October 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM
LOL. An admin ?
Hmm, I don't foresee that happening, but you could request to join the Beginners Team.

Ok... so could I join the beginners team?:guitar:

Dr Small
October 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I don't have any say about it, but you could PM bodhi.zazen and ask him.

Dr Small

markntravis
October 21st, 2007, 02:03 AM
Would someone direct me to an install guide. I want to install (dual boot) ubuntu 7.10 on my XP desktop.

What do I do first, second, third etc.

Thanks

Dr Small
October 21st, 2007, 02:09 AM
This link explains how to install a dual-boot system:
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

reza81
October 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
I just requested to join this project/team. I use Ubuntu sins january 2007 & am learning a lot. By joining this team me learning Linux will go faster & I will help others. It's a win/win situation ;)

P.S.

Is it posible to join more than one team. Because when Hardy Heron first release comes out ... well, I want to join the test team to.

ducktail
October 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hello,

Ubuntu is amazing! I installed it in VMware last night and it's working now! Thank you guys for such an excellent work!

I have two questions but I will finish this thread before posting it in case they're already asked and answered:)

burt_57
October 24th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hey gang,
Would love to help were I can, and helping beginners is a great place to start... I think...

:)

Good ..here is on for you to help me.
How can I edit my xconfig
Everytime I try to save change it will not allow me. ( it said that I do no have the right to edit )
I have Ubuntu 7.10
There is 3 section that I have to uncomment inorder for my Wacom to work.
So how do you edit xconfig?

Dr Small
October 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Good ..here is on for you to help me.
How can I edit my xconfig
Everytime I try to save change it will not allow me. ( it said that I do no have the right to edit )
I have Ubuntu 7.10
There is 3 section that I have to uncomment inorder for my Wacom to work.
So how do you edit xconfig?
Use sudo.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

burt_57
October 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Use sudo.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

I have tried so many time , oh boy nothing works.
Thank anyway.
I did it the way below: And my mouse and pen work now

Use the following command to edit your xorg.conf file:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

replace 'nano' with other text editor, if you prefer.

burt_57
October 24th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I got so close to format my second hardrive because of my Wacom tablet not working.
I came here and look for some answers, no luck " BUT " I got some good pointers.
My problem was that I could not edit my xorg.conf cause it said I was not the admin. " go figure that one "
Anyway tere was 3 places where I had to rid this sign # <------- and everytime I did it I could not save.
But I have found this and it did fix my problem

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

And voila my mouse work...my pen work ........so :) .
My goald is to rid myself of windowX all together.
getting close

Anyway I will be back good luck all. :guitar:

sanpedrodave
October 25th, 2007, 02:38 AM
First of all, what a great forum and learning experience. What I am trying to do is install Ubuntu on my Windows crashed PC so I can boot and retrieve a bunch of files. I know it will be hard but can it be done? I hope to dump WinXP on this rig ASAP after install....Plus I want to earn some coffee beans.:)

henjenagin
October 25th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Hi all,
I think 7.10 is pretty fantastic. I have migrated from XP since about May and first tried out Kubuntu 7.04. I've been settling in to UbuntuStudio since the release and must say that I like what you have done to the Gnome desktop (was liking the whole KDE thing). Everything I've tried so far is working great, compiz-fusion, usb printers, restricted nvidia drivers, and so on. I should also point out that I have been going around the distro block and got used to the root user idea and now that is where I am running into a litlle bit of a problem. I would like to add a line to sources.list file in /etc/apt and that file is owned by root. I try using a text editor, but I do not have the permissions. I know that I could go through synaptic package manager by adding a new repository, but I would like to figure out this root user work-around thing if possible. sudo something chown --help me | grep frustration / elevating .higher

henjenagin
October 25th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Sorry, I went back a couple of pages and found my answer. sudo kate filename. (I imported kate frome KDE because I prefer to use Konqueror). Now to get back to adding screenlets to my system...:-)

stomponthis
October 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I love the support Ubuntu users receive :)
Even better is the spirit of the community.
Goodtimes :cool:

Saint Angeles
October 28th, 2007, 09:16 PM
First of all, what a great forum and learning experience. What I am trying to do is install Ubuntu on my Windows crashed PC so I can boot and retrieve a bunch of files. I know it will be hard but can it be done? I hope to dump WinXP on this rig ASAP after install....Plus I want to earn some coffee beans.:)

theres a live-CD version of linux call Knoppix that is really good for viewing your windows HD and editing necessary files.

Eddie002Fast
October 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I was a windows user for 5yrs and now I am new too Linux :D I have been using Linux for about 5-7 days now and been checking out different Distro's and Ubuntu and Linux XP seems too be my fav's so far :D I am also an extreme gamer hopefully i can find a way too use games like MXO (TheMatrixOnline) and Star Wars-knights of the old republic 2 sith lords...etc........on Linux :-D.....any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!.........thx :lolflag:

Eddie002Fast
October 29th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Windows FTL......Linux FTW!!! :D

simone.legris
October 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM
The Absolute Beginners Talk forum can get a bit, well, technical for somebody like me. As an Absolute Beginner, I would appreciate and enjoy reading more tips and tricks written in a simple language for the uninitiated. This Mom has scant knowledge about software and operating systems. When my teenage kids gave me a new laptop last month, they installed Gutsy Gibbon. So far, so great! But it is different than XP and requires self-directed learning. The Forums serve as my first resource.
Thank you.

Lord_Dicranius
October 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
The Absolute Beginners Talk forum can get a bit, well, technical for somebody like me. As an Absolute Beginner, I would appreciate and enjoy reading more tips and tricks written in a simple language for the uninitiated. This Mom has scant knowledge about software and operating systems. When my teenage kids gave me a new laptop last month, they installed Gutsy Gibbon. So far, so great! But it is different than XP and requires self-directed learning. The Forums serve as my first resource.
Thank you.
Now if I could only get my mom to take the plunge :)

Dr Small
October 31st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Now if I could only get my mom to take the plunge :)
Me too :p

meindian523
October 31st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Me too :p

Thirded....

ghostwalk.with.me
November 1st, 2007, 01:33 AM
I believe that the formation of a beginner team is an excellent idea, but some in some instances, people need individualized attention. I realize that what I'm suggesting may be out of the framework of the community, but if one or two team memebers make themselves available on various chat clients and post their availabilty, the average beginner may be able to be "walked thru" various tasks.

I myself wouldn't mind getting the ball rolling. My Yahoo screen name is Squirrel511, and I'm available between the hours of 9am and 12pm US Pacific Standard time. I might not know everything, but I will try to point you in the right direction.

The only thing I request is that you mention that you've read this post, so I know that you're not trolling for dates (lol).

PAX.

Tom_Thumb
November 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Hi Beginner Team.
I'm a complete noob with Ubuntu and Linux in general and have just installed Ubuntu 7.10 Server edition. I got an issue though, which is seriously holding me back. It appears that my account (created during the install) wasn't added into the "sudoers" file. So now I can't install the GUI or any other packages for that matter.
Any suggestions as to how to either start a root user session to edit the "sudoers" file so I can ad my account into the admin Group, or some other way to accomplish something similar e.g add another user with "sudo" rights?
Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.

NonCents
November 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM
This is extraordinary, I spent years of angst and frustration on windows without knowledge of any even semi-functioning alternative, then through the power of StumbleUpon i started to find out about the world of open source. This community takes a lot of the scary daunting fear of giving up what i have know for years. THANKS!!!

bodhi.zazen
November 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
Hi Beginner Team.
I'm a complete noob with Ubuntu and Linux in general and have just installed Ubuntu 7.10 Server edition. I got an issue though, which is seriously holding me back. It appears that my account (created during the install) wasn't added into the "sudoers" file. So now I can't install the GUI or any other packages for that matter.
Any suggestions as to how to either start a root user session to edit the "sudoers" file so I can ad my account into the admin Group, or some other way to accomplish something similar e.g add another user with "sudo" rights?
Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.

Boot to recovery mode and add you user to the admin group.

Spiderper
November 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Hi there.
i just got Ubuntu and i cant seem to get things to work, like how to run .exe files?
is it an extra program? i tried downloading the wine program but i cant find the install file. every things upside down. please help me out here.

bodhi.zazen
November 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
Hi there.
i just got Ubuntu and i cant seem to get things to work, like how to run .exe files?
is it an extra program? i tried downloading the wine program but i cant find the install file. every things upside down. please help me out here.

You will have better luck if you start a new thread as this is not primarily a support thread.

In general, Linux != Windows meaning you can not always run .exe on Linux.

To do so you need something like wine. wine is not always so easy to get running and you should start by telling us what application (*.exe) you are wanting to run.

simone.legris
November 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Hello All;
I am computer illiterate, yet the forums & info guides for Gutsy Gibbon OS make finding stuff so easy. For one thing, I learned that by pressing ALT + F1, all my little icons pop up! Best of all, my teenagers have not had to help me, I can do it myself.

Bobrm2
November 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
This is great. My suggestion would be a wiki for tools that would help; like a wireless glossary. I stuck on how to setup a wireless network between two computers and a printer. Have spent all week end. The only way I have had any success, with the wired network is to connect directly into the WBR-1310 D-link. Have one computer running XPpro the other (this one) Ubuntu 7.10. Have never been able to print from the Linux box?

Still searching for the answers.

Thanks once more

Bob

Linuxratty
November 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE
I think this forum is really going to help us who need things explained in slow motion.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
I started with Windows,then Linspire,then freespire,then Klikit and now Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiration that arrived today.
Ive already hit two snags..i can't play DVD's and the desktop effects don't work.
Ive always used KDE,so Gnome is interesting.

Ajinomoto
November 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Lately I just installed Ubuntu in my system, together with Windows XP, so here are my questions sure you can help me :D

1) how can I access the root/admin?
2) can I access my files in my other OS (Windows XP)? how will I do that?
3) whats the propare command in terminal if I want to display the ip/configurations in my PC? I tried using the ifconfig but to "command not found". Do I need to log in as a root just to display this configuration/settings?

Thanks in advance! :D

bodhi.zazen
November 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Lately I just installed Ubuntu in my system, together with Windows XP, so here are my questions sure you can help me :D

1) how can I access the root/admin?

sudo

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Use gksu for graphical apps

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

2) can I access my files in my other OS (Windows XP)? how will I do that?

Mount them.

Mounting and permissions depends on the file system:

Windows: Psychocats Mount windows (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows)
For read-write: vfat (FAT) use umask=000
ntfs use ntfs-3g (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009) and a fstab entry something like this:

/dev/hda1 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
An alternate is ntfs-config. ntfs-config uses ntfs-3g to mount windows partitions via a gui :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=337970

Linux: Psychocats Mount Linux (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux)
To set permissions, mount the partition, then chmod
sudo chmod 777 /mount/point

To mount at boot you will need to edit /etc/fstab (as outlined in the links above).
For an overview of fstab see: How to fstab (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?&t=283131)

For access to ext2/3 from windows see : http://www.fs-driver.org/

Vista: Install the fs-driver using the "Windows XP compatibility mode"

3) whats the propare command in terminal if I want to display the ip/configurations in my PC? I tried using the ifconfig but to "command not found". Do I need to log in as a root just to display this configuration/settings?

You need sudo with that

sudo ifconfig

Thanks in advance! :D

Welcome to Ubuntu

cherry316316
November 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I got the following msg when i was trying to install Abaqus on my computer

$TMPDIR is not defined on this system. Provide the full path
to the scratch directory.

although , i provided "/tmp" at the run time, but I will like to know how to define
this kinda things on system.

also another msg i got was

On UNIX and Linux platforms the Commands directory should be added to each user's path manually. Alternately, a link for each Abaqus version can be defined at the system level or for each user, pointing to the appropriate command in the Commands directory.

which means, every time I have to run abaqus , i have to go to the directory
"/usr/local/Abaqus/Commands/" and become a root and run it.
whereas my other software like matlab etc automatically made a shortcut, so that
i can run them from anywhere using the command , like "matlab", "firefox" etc etc
one way to do this is to modify the "~/.bashrc" file and make a "alias"
but I want to know about making a proper shortcut for a software.

Thanks in advance :D

cherry

cherry316316
November 7th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I want to install Abaqus on my computer Ubuntu 7.10 gusty.

I am trying from many days, but no success so far.

I also installed MESA separately but when i run "/media/cdrom0/setuo -sysinfo" it gives me following output
if you have success of installing or running Abaqus so far, then please let me know. I am using Abaqus 6.7, but I also have
cd for Abaqus 6.6

I have also installed FORTRAN , g++ , sun-java6 and mesa , but it refuses to verify.

when i tried to run abaqus installer according to the command given on your blog
"/media/cdrom0/setup -nosystemchecks -jre /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/ -console"
because when i write "-jre system" it says VM not found and stuff.

so with the above command, it do runs and install the Abaqus, but when I run Abaqus after installation,
it runs in full transparent mode, which I dont know how to fix. I have also attach the screen shot of the
Abaqus when i run after this installation.
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~dev/Screenshot.png

my output from
"/media/cdrom0/setup -sysinfo" :

root@cherry-laptop:/home/cherry# /media/cdrom0/setup -sysinfo

A scratch directory is required for the execution of the
Abaqus installation procedure.

TMPDIR is not defined on this system. Provide the full path
to the scratch directory.

Scratch directory is: /tmp

Checking system requirements for Abaqus. This will
take just a moment...
Checking for GNU Lib C version 2.3.2 or newer.
Pass - Found GNU Lib C Version 2.6.1.
WARNING: Unknown Linux distribution type found on this system just setting base
kernel version information.

Running system configuration checks for Linux/x86-32.
Please wait until all the needed information has been gathered...

Current system configuration is:

Hostname: cherry-laptop
Username: root
Date: Wed Nov 7 00:36:31 2007
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
Number of CPUs: 2
Linux Distribution: Unable to determine Linux Distribution.
Memory: 3545 Mb
Graphics Card: nVidia Corporation unknown chipset (0x0407) rev 161
X11 Version: Unable to determine X11 Version.
OpenGL Version: Unable to determine OpenGL version.
X Server:
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.3
OpenGL version string: 2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.19

System requirement status is:

Requirement: SuSE 9.3, 10.0 or 10.1, SuSE Enterprise Linux 9.0 or
10.0, SuSE Enterprise Desktop 10, Red Hat Enterprise 3.0
or 4.0
Products: All Abaqus Products

Requirement: GNU Lib C 2.3.2 or greater

Requirement: Linux Kernel 2.4.20 or newer

Requirement: GNU Compiler Suite 3.2 or later
Products: Abaqus make utility with C++ and Abaqus make utility with
Fortran and Abaqus with user subroutines

Requirement: Intel 32-bits C++ Compiler 9.1
Products: Abaqus make utility with C++
Status: Fail - Unable to locate and/or determine the version of a
C++ compiler on this system.

Requirement: Intel 32-bits Fortran Compiler 9.1
Products: Abaqus make utility with Fortran and Abaqus with user
subroutines
Status: Fail - Unable to locate and/or determine the version of a
Fortran compiler on this system.

Requirement: HP-MPI 02.02.05.00
Products: Abaqus analyses using MPI-based parallelization
Status: Fail - Unable to locate a supported MPI implementation on
this system. For more information on the MPI-based
parallel functionality, see the section 'Parallel
processing modes in Abaqus' in the Abaqus Analysis User's
Manual.

Requirement: Mesa 4.3.0 or greater
Products: Abaqus/CAE and Abaqus/Viewer

Requirement: XFree86 or Xorg server must be configured to load the glx
module
Products: Abaqus/CAE and Abaqus/Viewer

Requirement: Netscape 7.0, Mozilla 1.2, Firefox 1.0.1, or greater
Products: Abaqus Documentation

Not all requirement checks succeeded.

...finished.

Ajinomoto
November 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM
sudo

Use gksu for graphical apps

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Mount them.

Mounting and permissions depends on the file system:

Windows: Psychocats Mount windows (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows)
For read-write: vfat (FAT) use umask=000
ntfs use ntfs-3g (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009) and a fstab entry something like this:

/dev/hda1 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
An alternate is ntfs-config. ntfs-config uses ntfs-3g to mount windows partitions via a gui :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=337970

Linux: Psychocats Mount Linux (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux)
To set permissions, mount the partition, then chmod
sudo chmod 777 /mount/point

To mount at boot you will need to edit /etc/fstab (as outlined in the links above).
For an overview of fstab see: How to fstab (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?&t=283131)

For access to ext2/3 from windows see : http://www.fs-driver.org/

Vista: Install the fs-driver using the "Windows XP compatibility mode"

You need sudo with that

sudo ifconfig

Welcome to Ubuntu

Thank you for the reply. Greatly appreciated :D more power to you!

padre44
November 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks to all who contribute to these forums. I have installed Ubuntu and gotten everything working, including networking and file sharing with Samba, thanks to all the posts in the forums. I still don't use Ubuntu for my main work, but hope to migrate in the future. For now, it is a dual boot. Next, I'll put it on my laptop. One issue I'm researching is why Open Office documents on an NTFS parition open with different formatting in Ubuntu. I'm sure I'll figure this out. Thanks again to everyone.:)

Tux.Ice
November 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Sweet im willing to show some new users hey does hardy haron have a gui yet if it does where can i download an iso

ser_virtual
November 15th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Hi there,

I turned to Ubuntu 7.10 a couple of weeks ago. Since then I haven't had success getting online.
I first manage to get the wireless card read the networks around but after setting the parameters of the network I want to connect at System> Administration> Network which by the way doesn't ask for user id, nothing appears to happen. The Network Manager applet does seem to be of any help. It just has the Network Information option not enable while the Active Network is on.

What must I do?

Thanks in advance.

I'm running Ubuntu in a Dell 1501
Wireless card: Broadcom 4311

Niedzwiedz
November 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM
This is good. I always say the best way to learn is to help. After years of "Microbutt" I help many people fix Windows problems, but, it took me a good year + starting with Windows 3.11 and DOS. I not a good year into using Linux, but, have learned a lot since I trashed Windows from my main Computer. I enjoy helping, but, I also want to feel confident when I do. So, in the joy of being able to post and not ask a question, I will say; "Let me learn and hopefully in a few months I be willing to help, 'IF' you want". I just want to feel confident, before I start assuming! :-k

mapperkid
November 19th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I may say I'm not new to Linux, I have tried it before but didn't pursue because of the tech jargons I can't understand those command thing, terminal, etc. But when I got this news that Ubuntu is somewhat user friendly (ubuntu6.04), I tried and it surprised me, it works above par in my old PC. Now I'm using the gutsy version (7.10) and will stick to it because I’m starting to love it.

But my wife is kinda sad, she's a chat savvy, and not satisfied with here chatting experience though i installed a GyanhE. She noticed that her camera's picture quality lags compared to when she's in windows. The webcam and voice chat it's a frustration with her, still need more development to catch-up. But on the other hand my daughter (6 yrs old) loves it with those open source child’s game especially the Childsplay and GCompris.

My computing experience with Ubuntu is getting better with the aid of this forum and I'm sharing it with my friends. VIVA UBUNTU!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
PIII GHz, i815e Chipset, Built-in VGA, 512MB, 80GB

jmucha
November 22nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
beginner team rocks! Let's start with the wireless dilemma. No net, no gain.

Aquilastudio.com
November 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
I have been waiting so long for this. This will be a great addition. Although I already have and know how to use ubuntu, I do have some problems. Great Idea :)

jrx1139
November 24th, 2007, 06:20 AM
hello! I am absolutely new to Ubuntu and have a few problems. One is, I can't get Ubuntu to recognize my Kodak Digital X6400 camera (an older model). All my usb ports work. Plus, can't get any sound. Bad sound card? Thirdly, can't seem to configure either irrsi or GaiM to get freenode-connect #ubuntu help so I can chat online with people more knowledgable than myself. Any thoughts people?

-grubby
November 24th, 2007, 06:22 AM
hello! I am absolutely new to Ubuntu and have a few problems. One is, I can't get Ubuntu to recognize my Kodak Digital X6400 camera (an older model). All my usb ports work. Plus, can't get any sound. Bad sound card? Thirdly, can't seem to configure either irrsi or GaiM to get freenode-connect #ubuntu help so I can chat online with people more knowledgable than myself. Any thoughts people?

you could start some threads about that

burt_57
November 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Great, thats me, a New Beginner! 5 days in so far, lots of things running, lots not running. I would like to contribute to a 'Getting Started' Manual with lots of how do's. E.g.

How do I load a Shuttle iPod?
How do I watch the BBC News stream?
How do I 'Skype' ?

AND... all to be done without a command line! (Yes, I know you Linux/Unix command line folks are very clever but you can't keep Ubuntu to just yourselves you know. It's too good for a niche market! Let the grey hairs have it too! We are a growing market!)

Kind Regards
Bob
Well said...........us old gray hair man that are not to good with writting confusing command, can get lost.
Wish I knew more, I tell you that if I did, I would make this work more efficient. :popcorn:

eBus37
November 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Hi, I'm new here and I will be installing Ubuntu to a use pc in DEC. Just looking and reading all abut one of my future OS.

Thank you for the nice forum :)

cherry316316
November 26th, 2007, 08:18 PM
do you know how to add something to the enivornment path, i got the following message,
even though i have Java installed.

No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
environment variable. You must install a VM prior to
running this program.

Derryl
November 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hi I am interested in learning Ubuntu Linux.

I am interested in learning how to write scripts and manage the file system. I need to know how to copy move and delete files in my $home directory and how to make directories and delete them.

also are there any good books out there to teach me Ubuntu Linux? The ones at The Calgary Public Library are all out of date. I have Linux for non ners on order and a repositry of 6 DVD's with Applications on them

I dual boot Uuntu with win XP. I am on the Use net news reading all of the posts and learning a lot of stuff. The Ubuntu group is great for teaching newbies like me.

Thanks for the great support and have a nice day.

Derryl Killan

Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Dr Small
November 27th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Derryl, please check out LinuxCommand.org:

Dr Small

mark-mlt
November 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
im new in ubuntu... i need help to confige a wired internet connection.10x

dadawan
November 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM
The Beginner Team is an excellent idea!

I don't think I'm quite qualified to be a member since I am a only a recent convert from Windows myself, but I am so happy with Ubuntu 7.10 that I'm with you in spirit.

:D

But I'll keep an eye on the Absolute Beginner forum and maybe there are some questions basic enough I can answer.

And if anybody is wanting to put in a 2nd hard drive to make a dual-boot system, I have documented every step that I did to make it work on my Dell, and tossed it up on my website:

http://www.bornthree.com/HowTo/

-BornThree

Stickman Joe
December 3rd, 2007, 01:29 AM
Hi there Everyone! I'm a friend of NikoPSK and I decided to get Ubuntu 'cause I don't like the ways microsoft are going. I'm the one that NikoPSK was "being a douchebag to"

lol, i was being a douchebag to my friend and he wanted to learn how to do stuff with the gimp so I showed him and made these:

:lolflag:

well, I hope I have fun!:guitar:"click on the guitar dude"

sadistikal
December 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM
i just wan to ask what is the best internet cafe system we can use as timer here in ubuntu linux? tnx and more power to all of you....

369gnl
December 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Ok I'v got this far:), but before I go any further I would like to know a few things, like can I have all that I now have with windows skype flash player webcam streaming video and is it going to be difficult?
looking forward to the replys:

ps is there a spell check?

lenswipe
December 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
The community for Ubuntu is amazing, especially for a n00b with a 64-bit processor trying to (among other trials and tribulations) communicate with a Lexmark printer... ouch!

dude...

u wana try centos with an Epson DX5000

frikkin nightmare!!!

:lolflag:

Mazza558
December 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Ok I'v got this far:), but before I go any further I would like to know a few things, like can I have all that I now have with windows skype flash player webcam streaming video and is it going to be difficult?
looking forward to the replys:

ps is there a spell check?

You're actually incredibly lucky, just a few days ago, there was a new version of Skype released with video chat and, I assume, webcam support. Streaming video and flash is really easy to sort out.

Xp3reMental
December 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM
hallo there every one.. I've had Ubuntu 7.10 for 3days now and I'm really impressed.. Really love Compiz!

I'm a bit lost but this n00b is willing to learn..!

quasimodo69
December 14th, 2007, 02:28 AM
HOORAY! The beginner team!Thnx gang!
And too ignighted..I noticed you are running AMD64x2 and an nVidia card.I am running an AMD64 chip (not an x2) and an nVidia 5200 card and am having severe problems with crashes.i mean it just randomly shuts down.I have tried an re-install without doing the compiz update (info from the forums) and tried a new download of the ISO from another source-same problem..except now I get this strange thing where the monitor will all of a sudden do this thing where it fritzes out and it shows a screwed up screen that is diagonal patterned for a split second..
I'm done-thnx

quasimodo69
December 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM
to roger_melly..
I am like you.While Micro$oft's selling point was point and clik..and simplicity...it is what we want...but it has problems..security mainly..and the fault is slow response to consumers and even slower response to problems..and while I applaud the move to simplicty that is being shown and the amazing effort of all who have solved problems and vetted the solutions,..with each new advancement in the OS the security problems increase and the learning curve does too.
I ask the indulgence of the beginner team to refer new questions to a viable link to solve the posters question if they are cogizent of it. and to please provide a respone with a step by step explinatin of the cure for the posters question.
Thnx for your consideration of my ramblings..
and when will we find a cure for the dreaded shut down ....?
Long Live Ubuntu!;-)

Karmafarmer
December 14th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Hi Gang.

I'm 7.04 atm and it's getting pretty cool. DOS was before my time so the terminal is a new thing to me. I'm using XP right now because I live in the boonies and there is no highspeed. The modem is a winmodem and doesn't seem to be compatable unfortunately. Ahh well.

Cool board and I look forward to learning a new O/S.

bwallum
December 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM
to roger_melly..
I am like you.While Micro$oft's selling point was point and clik..and simplicity...it is what we want...but it has problems..security mainly..and the fault is slow response to consumers and even slower response to problems..and while I applaud the move to simplicty that is being shown and the amazing effort of all who have solved problems and vetted the solutions,..with each new advancement in the OS the security problems increase and the learning curve does too.
I ask the indulgence of the beginner team to refer new questions to a viable link to solve the posters question if they are cogizent of it. and to please provide a respone with a step by step explinatin of the cure for the posters question.
Thnx for your consideration of my ramblings..
and when will we find a cure for the dreaded shut down ....?
Long Live Ubuntu!;-)

Hi Quasi

I run an AMD64 version of Ubuntu 7.10 with a nVidia G71 [GeForce 7300 GS] card. It all runs fine but it did take some time to set up, I recall.

Firstly, It's a good idea to include your hardware and software spec in your signature. That lets us all know what kit you are running on.

You first need to check that you have installed the correct version of Ubuntu for your AMD64 motherboard, that is AMD64 Ubuntu.

Then check out this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=628981

I would be interested to hear how you get on.

BACKGROUND
There are two nVidia card drivers, one is called nv (file name is nvidia-glx) the other is called nvidia (file name nvidia-glx-new). The names 'nv' and 'nvidia' are used in the graphics configuration file /etc/Xll/xorg.conf.

From memory, the nVidia 5200 card can run the nvidia-glx-new driver. This is the accelerated graphics driver required for Compiz.

nVidia have a generic linux driver at http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_100.14.19.html
that I believe is used by Ubuntu in their Restricted Drivers Manager. To load it tick the 'enabled' box.

Errare
December 16th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Hi,

I would like to know where I can find the main commands used on the terminal for Ubuntu ..... It would be really helpfull...

I was a Dos user before moving under Windows and now just using Ubuntu without trying to know the commandssssssss..

Thanks for your help !!!

Dr Small
December 16th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Hi,

I would like to know where I can find the main commands used on the terminal for Ubuntu ..... It would be really helpfull...

I was a Dos user before moving under Windows and now just using Ubuntu without trying to know the commandssssssss..

Thanks for your help !!!
Please check out:

Errare
December 16th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Please check out:

Cheers !!!

salvador24
December 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Please check out:

Thanks for this great resource. I too am relatively new to linux and have found these forums to be one of the best things about Ubuntu relative to any other distro. This is a great help to people like me. Keep up the good work!

lng80
December 17th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks for starting this. I'm trying to learn all I can about ubuntu before installing it. I think this will be very helpful to me. I'll keep checking back.

Thefantom
December 24th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Hello.
i would just give my opinion on ubuntu.

AND I LOVE IT !!
i have hade it for 4 days or so and i can say that i love the challenge of using ubuntu (linux)

Though i find it hard to learn all the commands and set it up.

so fare i mannage to learn a bit about apt-get (apt-get install)
atm im working on "trying" to get a vnc server up and running (manage to install it YEAH :guitar: )
But in all its going well , i use this forum a lot.

Thank you for all the Info i get (this threath)

//Matrux /TheFantom

Flamebird
December 29th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Hi all,

This Beginner Team is a brilliant idea!

I'm such a newbie to Linux and Ubuntu, that I pretty much squeek. ;-)

However, having said that; I'm SO loving both the OS and the people around here.

Try and get this many helpful people when you have a windows question. Not gonna happen.

I ordered the installation disc a few months ago, but never got around to trying it till the last few weeks. I played around on the live cd for a while and it was fun; so I finally just loaded it Christmas Eve.

It's been non-stop "Wow, COOL", ever since. I think I'm starting to bug my friends, with the constant "You gotta SEE this", stuff. but whatever.:)

Anyway, I found this forum BEFORE I installed Linux and I think reading on it and seeing how helpful people try to be is what encouraged me to go ahead and install it.

So thanks again to EVERYBODY!

Surprisingly, I don't have any real questions or problems (YET), but I do have one possible suggestion for the beginners team. How practical it would be to actually do, I have no idea.

My big idea would be to start a thread called something like "Dear Ubuntu" or "Ask Ubuntu", like a "Dear Abby" thing, where newbies can ask general questions that don't require a lot of technical help.

Stuff like: I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 and see that there is a 7.4 version; should I upgrade to this new version right away, or learn on the older version first?

Or: I'm getting ready to buy a new printer, can you suggest a kind that works well with Ubuntu.

Stuff like that

I don't know how practical it would be for you guys to do something like that, but I do believe it would be VERY popular.

Thanks again to the entire Ubuntu crew and everybody at the forum here, for making my transition easier than I thought it would be.=D>

confused1
December 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Hi all i'm new to the Ubuntu arena- I downloaded and installed Ubuntu two days ago and I must say that I like it. I had been using windows since 3.1.
I tried Lindows back in the past and for whatever reason it didn't work to well.
Being able to boot into a system where there's less worry of hackers/virus actions is like a breath of fresh air.
So far i've downloaded all 148 updates and installed firestarter and guarddog (for my peace of mind) as old habits are die hard.

cheers and happy new year
confused1

Lian Li, Intel Duo-core 6420 2.14GHz, 2GB Corsair C5400Pro Twin-matched, Seagates 160/320GB, and ATI X-700:confused:
485W Enermax PS, Thermaltake Cooler

confused1
December 30th, 2007, 01:59 AM
[FONT="Arial"]Hi i'm new to the Ubuntu arena- i downloaded and installed Ubuntu 7.10 two days ago and I must say that I like it. I had been using windows since 3.1. I tried Lindows back in the past and for whatever reason it didn't work to well.
Being able to boot into a system where there's less worry of hackers/virus actions is like a breath of fresh air.
So far i've downloaded all 148 updates and installed firestarter and guarddog (for my peace of mind) as old habits are hard to break.

cheers and happy new year
confused1

Lian Li, ASUS P5B, Intel Duo-core 6420 2.14GHz, 2GB Corsair C5400Pro Twin-matched, Seagates 160/320GB, and ATI X-700 485W Enermax PS, and Thermaltake Cooler.:)

bodhi.zazen
December 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Welcome to both of you (Flamebird and confused1).

@Flamebird : I like your suggestion re "Dear Ubuntu", that is the intention of Absolute Beginner Talk.

@confused1 : You should understand that Firestarter and Guarddog are configuration tools. The firewall is iptables and both Firestarter and Guard dog are just configuration tools. You really do not need both. And you should not run either all the time. Start either and configure your firewall, then close the application (iptables is active without either program running).

For further information on Ubuntu Security : Ubuntu Security (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812)

Joeb454
December 30th, 2007, 03:44 AM
bodhi I think what Flamebird was suggesting sounds somewhat like an FAQ style thing.

Not sure where this could be implented, but thats what it sounded like to me :)

sparkyjoe34
December 30th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Thank you very much. Being a noob myself this will be really helpful. :KS

confused1
December 31st, 2007, 12:04 AM
thanks bodhi.zazen for the greeting
um... i did not mean to say that i was using both firestarter and guarddog at the same time. i down loaded them and wanted to see which one would confuse me more-

i noticed after testing on grc.com, in which i scanned my ports, that the following failed the test:

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED)

Should we be overly concerned about these?

bodhi.zazen
December 31st, 2007, 02:03 AM
thanks bodhi.zazen for the greeting
um... i did not mean to say that i was using both firestarter and guarddog at the same time. i down loaded them and wanted to see which one would confuse me more-

i noticed after testing on grc.com, in which i scanned my ports, that the following failed the test:

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED)

Should we be overly concerned about these?

You are most welcome :)

I would not be overly concerned about those two (TCP packets or ping reply).

confused1
December 31st, 2007, 04:23 AM
I am unable to get to this address- does anyone know if it is correct or if there is another that will suffise-

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/CommandLineBeginners

thanks
n00b on a mission

Flamebird
December 31st, 2007, 10:52 AM
I am unable to get to this address- does anyone know if it is correct or if there is another that will suffise-

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/CommandLineBeginners

thanks
n00b on a mission

Try this:http://doc.gwos.org/doku.php/doc:admin:cli

Or this: http://doc.gwos.org/doku.php

Hope that helps.

bazzawill
January 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
Great idea guys,
I have been using ubuntu for a few years now along with experimenting with other distro's. I have received a great deal of help from this and other forums (mostly through searching existing posts). I have just thought its about time I started paying back for the assistance I have already received and no doubt will continue to do so.
If anyone can point me in the right direction to best offer support without having to live on the forum that would be great.
Barry

Xavieran
January 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
Whenever I have spare time I just hang around the Absolute Beginners area hitting refresh and helping any way I can...

sammysun
January 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
This is good news for beginners!:)

home21
January 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Hello guys
I am new here and I will need some help:)

Joeb454
January 2nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
That's what we're here for, if you get stuck, make a new thread and describe the problem in as much detail as you can, and we'll try and solve it :)

soho324
January 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
Thank you for not leaving the newbies behind. This is a great idea!!!!! :)

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu, everyone! Ubuntuforums.org is pretty much the only reason I'm still using Ubuntu. The userbase and friendly community alone is worth staying for, in addition to all the support a guy could ask for.

exneo002
January 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
how do i send a join request I've experimented with linux since september and I wnt to dual boot ubuntu ultimate or linux mint with windows xp

Martje_001
January 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
how do i send a join request I've experimented with linux since september and I wnt to dual boot ubuntu ultimate or linux mint with windows xp
I think you don't have to. Just answer questions! :)

darklight74
January 9th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu, everyone! Ubuntuforums.org is pretty much the only reason I'm still using Ubuntu. The userbase and friendly community alone is worth staying for, in addition to all the support a guy could ask for.

Hello guys ... im new here. Not only to this forum .. but also new to Ubuntu ...
not sure why i pick up this distro compared to other linux family ..
anyway ... so far ...so good .. ubuntu relief the part where i used to worry .. of things like licences ... and upgrading ..

Im not sure whether .. ubuntu user also vulnerable to DOS ... and other computer viral attack... if it is .. is there any software or any antivirus available to counter this problem...
much appreciated if some one could shade some light on this ...

bodhi.zazen
January 9th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Hello guys ... im new here. Not only to this forum .. but also new to Ubuntu ...
anyway ... so far ...so good .. ubuntu relief the part where i used to worry .. of things like licences ... and upgrading ..

Im not sure whether .. ubuntu user also vulnerable to DOS ... and other computer viral attack... if it is .. is there any software or any antivirus available to counter this problem...

Viruses no

DOS yes.

See this link : Ubuntu Security (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812)

cherry316316
January 10th, 2008, 02:39 AM

well as of now linux is least affected with viruses, the window and then mac are more dangerous. virus are a program code written by some physco , and most of physco has written codes so far for windows xp, now for vista , and then for mac, as this r popular
OS.
But yeah, in theory it is also possible to write a code for linux, although i will agree that linux security features are bit higher then XP or mac, but still if some physco wants he can write a code for linux.
well as of now linux world is safe :)

Joanieph
January 10th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Fantastic! This is just what I need. I have been with DOS and Windows since the early days where 1MHz Processors and the DOS command prompts were the "leading edge" (choke...gag) of technology for most users. OK...I'm medically retired now and now I'm going to start doing things the right way. This should be very useful to a 29-year-old geekette!

So far I have downloaded Gutsy Gibbon on a GPARTED HD and still have my windows volume up and running, a 5GB file share, 2GB Linux Swap and about 40GB each for Linux and Windows. I can make the internet OK (I'm doing this now) but I still have to find out how to get my HP Laserjet 1000 to Lase, speakers to speak, scanner to scan and my "youtubes" to play - without bulloxing the whole operating system like I did a couple of nights ago. Thank all that's sacred for the recovery mode!

:guitar:

Best to all,
Joanie

Joeb454
January 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
To get your "youtubes" to play, chances are you'll need flash and java installed.

Search Add/Remove or Synaptic for Ubuntu Restricted Extras :)

cherry316316
January 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
use swiftweaseal its a new version of mozilla firefox and it plays everything , including
www.raaga,com
you will get swiftweaseal in synaptic

domeboy
January 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Cool!!
Thank You.
I am new and working on transitioning to Ubuntu!
I am just starting to post...
How do you become a member of the community

Joeb454
January 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
If you post, you'll be a member

allforcarrie
January 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
If you post, you'll be a member

Awesome!

Joeb454
January 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Sorry let me clarify that. domeboy wanted to know how to be a member of the community, so I said just post, and you'll be a member - of the community - (that's what I meant.

If you're looking to join the beginners team, you could always just post help in the Absolute Beginners Talk section, which is basically all we do. Or if you want to be identified as such, then you need to talk to a member of the beginners team on the forums, and we'll help you with that.

lenswipe
January 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM
well i put my application in but nobody bothered to tell me wether or not i was on so idk...

overdrank
January 18th, 2008, 12:08 AM
well i put my application in but nobody bothered to tell me wether or not i was on so idk...

HI and the team leader bodhi.zazen is quite busy but I am sure you will hear from bodhi. :)

Jbirdie1
January 22nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
how about a guide for recommended actions to be taken immediately after install? do i set up email, do i set up desktop, do i do some of that apt-get stuff. a guideline for things to do would be real nice. now i have a specific q for myself... when i use that kde or one of those file manager like proggies it always shows big ole bloated icons, i choose details and they shrink but give the other nfo i want. however, when i leave that page/window the icons revert to bloated crap again...how can i make this change permanent...finally, why cant i use a 'root directory' rather than bury stuff in subdirectories. all the windows soothsayers said it wont work that wankers will eat you up...i have used windows since ver 3.0 back in the early 90's and i have NEVER had an attack, so why would i get one in linux, i thought this was the seccure o/s. :-(. ths and yes this forum group is well needed, congrats!!!

xecutech
January 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
At the moment, my other pc is downloading the newest ubuntu .iso file and I thought I would pop in here for some advice. Hopefully, by this time tommorrow, I will be on here with the new setup. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I am trying to be positive. Wish me luck!

bodhi.zazen
January 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
At the moment, my other pc is downloading the newest ubuntu .iso file and I thought I would pop in here for some advice. Hopefully, by this time tommorrow, I will be on here with the new setup. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I am trying to be positive. Wish me luck!

Welcome and let us know if we can help.

xecutech
January 25th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Thank you. Actually, it installed the first time and went online without any issues. I ran all the downloads and am using it right now. So far it is great, especially out of the box!

I havent hit any issues yet, but know where to go if I have any problems. Also, where do you look at your hardware to see is all the drivers got installed? Video and network card seems fine, but I wanted to know where to look. I guess I could search for it...

This is really nice.

djedds
January 26th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Hi im posting this here because i dont know anywhere else this would fit in, I am working on a website right now that would allow people to evaluate linux over the internet using a remote desktop program, i know how to setup all the servers at my end, but im not sure what program i should use to allow people to remote admin, i thought about all the web based ones like gotomypc, logmein etc but none that i have found actually support linux, im leaning towards realvnc right now because it has a java viewer that you can use in a web browser but im still not sure, please if anyone could give me any advice i would be greatful, oh and the website isnt much right now but if you go to www.odesk.co.nz, you'll see whats done so far, not much since i only started seriously about a week ago. but if anyone can help please tell me

Martje_001
January 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Make sure every user gets another account! Like this:

Website (java-viewer) connects to server --> server makes account --> java-viewer logs in --> [people can do things] --> java-viewer logs out --> server deletes account.

djedds
January 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks for replying i thought i would set it up with vmware esx server, having all the os's running as virtual computers, then automated reinstall every day, then i would be able to give the people using the os's administrator right and they could do what ever they wanted and get a real feel for the os. if i gave every user a separate account, i could not give them admin priviledges otherwise what they do on the os could interfer with other accounts, please tell me if im wrong or if this is the wrong way to go about it, cause i am still finding out alot of stuff myself.

Martje_001
January 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for replying i thought i would set it up with vmware esx server, having all the os's running as virtual computers, then automated reinstall every day, then i would be able to give the people using the os's administrator right and they could do what ever they wanted and get a real feel for the os. if i gave every user a separate account, i could not give them admin priviledges otherwise what they do on the os could interfer with other accounts, please tell me if im wrong or if this is the wrong way to go about it, cause i am still finding out alot of stuff myself.
Hmm, yes. But if one user messes up, it will affect every user..

ureckifix
January 27th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Great, thats me, a New Beginner! 5 days in so far, lots of things running, lots not running. I would like to contribute to a 'Getting Started' Manual with lots of how do's. E.g.

How do I load a Shuttle iPod?
How do I watch the BBC News stream?
How do I 'Skype' ?

AND... all to be done without a command line! (Yes, I know you Linux/Unix command line folks are very clever but you can't keep Ubuntu to just yourselves you know. It's too good for a niche market! Let the grey hairs have it too! We are a growing market!)

Kind Regards
Bob

3 years in now and i still use the begginer site cause you just never know and just 1 day into this fourm
keep in touch and windoze will fall strength in # and LINUX is climbing.

fernso2004
February 5th, 2008, 07:48 AM
This site's great! I've installed ubuntu dual boot with xp since last year. I haven't been able to maximize the full functionalities of ubuntu yet. I'm eager to learn more about ubuntu and unleash the full potential of ubuntu. More power to all of you!

Joeb454
February 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Why thankyou ;)

We'll be more than happy to help if we can. Just pop a question out in the appropriate section, and you'll get an answer sooner or later :)

Martje_001
February 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM
that's cool, hows that done?
Pretty simple (http://www.xs4all.nl/~mgj1/out.ogg). ;)

nikoPSK
February 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Pretty simple (http://www.xs4all.nl/~mgj1/out.ogg). ;)

:D

genesis5521
February 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I'm a computer software instructor at a technical college. I teach Windows XP, MS-Word, IE, OE, Firefox, etc. to senior citizens who are just dying to learn about their "confusers." I'm not a "hardware" expert, and I'm a real rookie with Ubuntu.

I used the alternate CD and just installed Ubuntu 6.0 on an old Compaq desktop with 64 MB of RAM and a 10 GB HD. The installation went without a hitch, but it literally took 18 hours to complete the installation. I had nothing important on this old Compaq so I allocated all of the HD space to Ubuntu. Things run slow. REAL SLOW. But I just wanted to play with Ubuntu for awahile to get a feel for it. If all goes well with Ubuntu on the old Compaq, my next project will be to use the live CD and install it on my emachine which has 256 MB of RAM and a 20 GB HD. I've played with the live CD on this machine. but I'm thinking that a permanent installation would make thngs run faster. This would be a dual-boot machine; Windows XP and Ubuntu.

Who knows. I may start teach my learners about Ubuntu.

A questions s’il vous plaît
1) Is Ubuntu plagued as much by virus attacks as Windows is? (I'm guessing that it's not plagued at all by viruses.)

Thanks for this forum. Keep up the good work. I'll check back often.

Don (genesis5521) <><

jan quark
February 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
virus what is a virus? I haven't seen one for ages since I use linux

no linux is not affected by viruses at all
the major part of all bad trojans and worm and viruses out there are designed to attack windows architecture system so you are on the safe side wich linux

Joeb454
February 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
genesis5521, you'll find that you can't REALLY run Ubuntu on a machine with only 64Mb RAM, try running Xubuntu instead, it's a lightweight version of Ubuntu. You could even try Fluxbuntu instead. Just google the 2 names and they'll come up :)

And jan quark there are some virus' for Linux but the exploits they use are usually patched up pretty quick :p By some I mean <10

weelibin
February 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
i <3 the open source community its great every time i want something its like right there either later on the day im looking or the next day sometimes two. brilliant. i use kubuntu are there much differences between u/ku buntu?

Joeb454
February 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
weelibin - First: Nice name ;)

2nd: Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop Environment, and comes with Gnome applications by default. Whereas Kubuntu uses the KDE Environment, and comes with KDE applications by default :)

You can install KDE app's (i.e. Amarok) on normal Ubuntu, and vice versa :)

weelibin
February 13th, 2008, 03:32 PM
joeb454, nice one:) the name is an old nickname my last name is wheeler and my mates all used to call me wheeler until one day we were standing outside having a smoke in a back garden and next to a weelibin and one of them had the bright idea of calling me weelibin. since then it is almost always guaranteed to get me the same name on whatever internet site i use:D thanks for clearing that up for me on the kde/gnome issue. i was pretty sure you could use some app.s on both but wasnt sure.

Joeb454
February 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
No problem :) Thanks for the info on the name too ;)

February 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
how do i start a Thread ????

jan quark
February 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM
just go into a forum category you think it is near your problem
and click on make new post

just as post reply
only make new post

nikoPSK
February 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM
how do i start a Thread ????

I didn't know how to do that for a while. :)

February 15th, 2008, 06:25 AM
lol

Saint Cruz
March 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Hi
I am absolutely green about linux and would like very much to learn step by step how to use it.I have downloaded ubuntu desktop and already installed it.A place to begin for me would be how to install software and where to get complete linux referernce commands.I hope this is a good place to start.
Thank you.

overdrank
March 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi
I am absolutely green about linux and would like very much to learn step by step how to use it.I have downloaded ubuntu desktop and already installed it.A place to begin for me would be how to install software and where to get complete linux referernce commands.I hope this is a good place to start.
Thank you.

HI andwelcome, these link may help with installations
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntuinstall/
As for the commands
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
And finally
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners/FAQ
Good luck!

bwallum
March 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the best forum on the web!

http://linuxcommand.org/ is a good general place for Linux Commands.

Have fun

SloYerRoll
March 5th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Very cool!

I've been in these forums for over a week and am jsut now at the point where I'm actually posting. There's gold in these forums if you search around for it.

If I could make a humble suggestion to all the newbies like myself. I find when I search, if I use Google and type in the following:

site:http://ubuntuforums.org UBUNTU (just replace the red text w/ whatever your search is for. FYI: Google DOES recognize caps)

You can get great results. Chances are there's an answer in these forums for almost every question asked.

Good luck creating your team. W/ the coolness of Ubuntu. I'm sure that the number of nOObs will always outweigh the Guru's!

All the best,
-Jon

Joeb454
March 5th, 2008, 01:57 AM
The forums themselves also have a search function :)

A lot of people can't be bothered to take the time to search, they want answers now! :lolflag: sometimes they can find an answer just by searching, though again, that can be outdated sometimes...:)

SloYerRoll
March 5th, 2008, 03:55 AM
The forums themselves also have a search function :)

A lot of people can't be bothered to take the time to search, they want answers now! :lolflag: sometimes they can find an answer just by searching, though again, that can be outdated sometimes...:)Thanks Joe,

I understand the forums have search functions.:)

I'm pretty sure this forum is vBulletin and the indexing on vBulletin kinda stinks (No fault of the site owners) Google can return much better results + you have the advantages of all the advanced search functionality of Google. *There's ALLOT more to Google than just typing in queries.

Not debating. Jsut telling you why I said what I said:)

Joeb454
March 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oh yeah I know :) I usually use the forum search to find a specific user :)

SloYerRoll
March 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this since it's not really worth of a thread.
Are there definitions to the different color beans and cups directly underneath our Ubuntu catch phrase?

bodhi.zazen
March 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this since it's not really worth of a thread.
Are there definitions to the different color beans and cups directly underneath our Ubuntu catch phrase?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560

SloYerRoll
March 5th, 2008, 08:03 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560

Thanks bodhi:)

GOLFMAN119
March 5th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Terminal is the like the old Dos command , if you installed Unbuntu, then go Kmenu, which is like your windows Start button, lower left corner of your screen, click on it and menu will open up, move the mouse over on System, and a sub menu will open, you will see some thing called Konsole, click on it and your terminal will open up. you can type help for help. best of luck.

Joeb454
March 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM
GOLFMAN119: That only applies to Kubuntu :)

miamizsun
March 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I've been using Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 for a few days and I'm thoroughly impressed. Impressed with the product, additional software and this community. It would seem that we could get a tutorial(s) on specific Windows installs, since, in my humble opinion, this is where most new users will come from.

Partitioning was a breeze with Vista, and after my install, Automatix2 was instrumental in updating and installing great software. Please accept many thanks for the job(s) well done.

And to all new users and people thinking about using Ubuntu reading this, if you follow the good advice here, you will be pleasantly surprised. I see no reason why Ubuntu/Linux couldn't perform any task with relative ease.

Regards, miamizsun :)

SloYerRoll
March 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I have another question that isn't really thread worthy and I don't PM Mods unless it's serious. :)

Searched all over and couldn't find a place where I can request to move a thread for more visibility.

I started this thread in General but would really like it to move to Desktop Effects & Customization for more visibility.

Can you please let me know where to make this kind of request?

bodhi.zazen
March 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I have another question that isn't really thread worthy and I don't PM Mods unless it's serious. :)

Searched all over and couldn't find a place where I can request to move a thread for more visibility.

I started this thread in General but would really like it to move to Desktop Effects & Customization for more visibility.

Can you please let me know where to make this kind of request?

Use the "Report" button and state your case ...

SloYerRoll
March 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks again!

juky
March 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I can see that this forum is great! Many users here! I plan to install ubuntu 7.10, and I can see that I will have support (hopefully) in case of some problems!

Cheers and keep up a good work!

Joeb454
March 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
No worries :) If you have any problems just post them up, chances are somebody will know how to fix it :)

And to miamizsun If preferable, we try to avoid Automatix :) But as long as it's not giving you any problems that's ok :D

Raimond
March 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM
thanks you for this... as I'm completely n00b with Linux/Ubuntu/anything other than Windows... so this is necessary for me!:)

W2IBC
March 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I love this idea, myself as a linux noob decided that microshaft windows is just a piece of junk and got tired of having to "reformatt" due to bad win-xp updates. so i dumped the hdd and installed ubuntu 7.10. and now using it as the only os for 3 days now i love it. only had 1 problem with the sound ( which is in another post) but i have found ubuntu to work awesome.

Joeb454
March 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying Ubuntu KD8HHO :D

Geos
March 9th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Hi all,

What a great looking friendly forum... Hope it stays that way after my umpteenth stupid question... ;) .

Thanks, from another noob...

angel_zone
March 10th, 2008, 06:17 AM
hi every one:D, right now im downloading ubuntu cd image for the 2nd time i hope it works this time coz i'm really excited about ubuntu linux after 7 months suffering with windows xp:(

valjour
March 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Thank You all for being here. :)

I've been muddling through the transition from microsludge into the macrocosm that is Ubuntu Linux,and Debian ; on my own for about a month or so. I've made my mistakes and had my successes. Lots to learn...

Getting used to getting out of the point and click world if but oh so painfully, especially for another nOOb like me. I was getting lost out their on my own glad I've stumbled my way home. I'll have questions (a lot of them) before I have answers... believe me. I'm grateful you are here. Ubuntu and these forums ...:guitar:

Joeb454
March 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Don't worry about getting stuck valjour just post a question here if you can't figure it out, we'll try and help :)

504harry
March 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM
(To Roger-Melly)
Much of what you say is "right" - the problem is coping with a whole range of experience!
-If you need basic help it almost explains how to switch it on! This is typical with Win and just about any kit these days. Writing "help-manuals" is a very rare ability - it needs to be targeted to the precise level and activity you are attempting. It is this lack of "focus" that causes beginners to be swamped by "help", that is the very-opposite!

Part of the problem is that unfamiliar users wown't know what they need, they are unfamiliar with the term "desktop" and letters like KDE ( or words that appear-familiar "Gnome"), have no obvious menaing....and merely add further confusion. Indeed it would be useful to have a section under "Help" that is "Words and other useful things" - by switching this application "on" the computer would become a "Tutor" - Firstly it displays the mouse with buttons, defining what they will do - compared with "normal" use ( Wow! I'd like that!).

There is also an issue with language - not just that UK/USA have different terminology - there is a tendency to use cross-confusing words - Example_ education. It has many meanings and these are very rarely defined - consequently you cannot find the information you seek. What is needed is a means to "mouse-over" the words, so the search is more accurate. (OR maybe another scheme, eh?)...this would remove meanings of Education that mean the industry of education, that's schools and universities out of the way. then remove meaninigs that mean the schools someone has attended...and establishments offering courses....I suspect this is a better way to define searches - for at the moment you get a deluge - and then try to scroll down is very time consuming.

RebelwithoutaClue
March 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
One thing I'm noticing and am now into my third half-done installation, is the instructions seem to go from 0-60 in rabidly quick time.

I've seen a few apps that I thought I fancied and tried to follow the installation with little success.

What is worrying me now is that I have these half-done installations.

It seems that downloading the package is the easy bit, but after that it all goes wrong.

I thought I'd get me some widgety eye-candy...

I have directories I can't find through the CLI or the GUI for one app, thus bringing the install to a halt, despite it being shown as installed.

I thought I'd play with aircrack in it's native environs, I never really had much luck with it on XP. Despite following what I thought was the idiots guide, I was unable to work out from the 'instructions' what parameters I should provide to the command line.

The other part-installed instance escapes me at the moment, but if I could ask anything of the Beginner Team it would be to encourage their fellow Ubuntu experts to provide more meaningful step-by-step installation information.

Download this and then compile it is not really the greatest experience for an X-newbie.

bodhi.zazen
March 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Installation of what ?

You should use the repos with either Add/Remove or Synaptic.

Install Ubuntu : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Software management :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020

Reelix
March 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Oooh! A post :D

vikigal
March 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Hello to all. I have had my new computer with Ubuntu 7.10 for a week now. I absolutely love it.

I started researching in January by buying a book with a live CD. I ended up buying an IBM rebuilt computer with ONLY an Ubuntu OS. I wanted windows out of my hair permanently.

I have had no problems. My Westinghouse monitor and Logitech trackball mouse plugged right in and worked immediately. I feel like the system works intuitively, for me. It does things the way I want them to.

Using add/remove programs I have added several programs with absolutely no issues at all. To my delight I even found a number of genealogy programs. I just type in what I am looking for and Voila! there is a list to choose from.

THANK YOU to all the wonderful people out there who have brought this entire operating system to us non-geeks. And thanks to the forum for being here to soothe my fears...

To anyone still debating: Dive in, the water´s just about right.

Joeb454
March 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM
No worries vikigal you might want to make a post in the testimonials section to tell others about your experience :) It'd make a change from the many negative threads I've read in there :(

flugo
March 28th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Thank you so much. when i first started with ubuntu the whole command line idea was intimidating but i'm starting to get more familiar with it and i really like the sense of accomplishment i get when using it. Coming from windows where you just point and click and "presto".....the CLI is just more rewarding to work with. But I'm a noob and hungry for the challenge of learning something new and as i saw it so aptly put in a thread,"getting your hands a little dirty".

So thank-you bodhi.zazen and all you vets out there for lending your knowledge,time and patience to those of us just starting out. These forums and especially this one in particular is an affirmation of the spirit of community you strive to foster. I look forward to the time i can contribute more and pay it forward.

Joeb454
March 28th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I thought that when I first started using Linux...to be precise I thought "Command Line?!?!?! That's so OLD!"

I use it all the time now, it's very rare I don't have a terminal open ;)

wPwLUi3N
March 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I thought that when I first started using Linux...to be precise I thought "Command Line?!?!?! That's so OLD!"

I use it all the time now, it's very rare I don't have a terminal open ;)

Command lines can be very intimidating for new users but in the hand of an expert they have infinite potential. Its a deadly arsenal only thing you should know when and where to use them to nuke.:)

howitz
March 29th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Hello guys, i am new here ,
Yesterday i installed my first "non" gates and windows OS. Ubuntu, and i must say i love it! :)
I am new to it , but i learn my way thru , i have expirience with computers , damn i am late with this ubuntu learning, i work mainly on windows cuz of my photoshop , dreamweaver and so on you now...

I am here to learn more and much more about ubuntu , i know windows better than gates allready , i have my certs, mcp's and papers like that ....

Looking forward learning from you guys, and ofcourse little bit of help from time to time :)

p.s. i worked stuff on ubuntu like 2h's and after i went to windows ... guess what...Don't send error lmao.. oh well my job is mainly based on windows , let's face it , nobody likes it , but we have to stick with it.

Joeb454
March 29th, 2008, 01:55 AM
You don't have to stick with it ;)

howitz
March 29th, 2008, 02:00 AM
vmware with xp on it , should get my problems fixed :)

Joeb454
March 29th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah it should, unless you want to run anything 3d, then you'll be fine :)

ashvee
March 29th, 2008, 02:28 AM
is there any way to connect x5470 in ubuntu . if any one knows pls respond
i want to avoid microsoft for ever

Joeb454
March 29th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Perhaps you should post in the Absolute Beginners Talk, or General Help section of the forums, giving more specific details of what you've tried, how you are trying to connect it to your PC, and what hardware you are running :)

Walc
March 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM
howdy guys
ive just noticed this section...lolz
id like to ask 1 question: how do i post sth using code? lets say a piece of menu.lst or device.map so that it stands out of ordinary text?

Joeb454
March 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM
use the [ CODE] <stuff> [ /CODE] without the spaces :)

Walc
March 30th, 2008, 12:43 AM
thx mate

next question is: how to edit the thread title - basiclly adding [solved] - after the issues is solved

Joeb454
March 30th, 2008, 12:48 AM
That's another easy one :D It's in thread tools (top right above the first post on the page)

Let me know if you can't find it

Walc
March 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM
sweet
'mark this thread as solved' - thx m8

mannafran
March 30th, 2008, 04:39 AM
bodhi master, your link didn't work for me -
-Third, start here : http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/CommandLineBeginners
?
i'm new to Ubuntu - never given Linux a real chance, but i feel clean now with microsloth removed, and more importantly i feel part of a community, what the world now needs more than ever.... best wishes to all

Martje_001
March 30th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Maby this is a great place to start: http://www.howtoforge.com/useful_linux_commands

fool_relax
March 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
great!

Walc
March 31st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Guys is there a way to track down my previous posts/threads?
I need em badly :P

Michael.Godawski
March 31st, 2008, 10:38 PM
Guys is there a way to track down my previous posts/threads?

When you click on your profile name in the forums you get to your forum profile. There is a box called Posts. There you can click on "Find all post by..." or "Find all posts started by...".

adouglasmhor
April 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hi all, runing 7.10 on a comoputer I built myself with Ubuntu on a 10gb HD, Win 2000 on another and a 20 gb hd for media files etc. Had no problems exept once when I couln't access or mount the other HDs and I searched and found a solution and another one that i can't even remeber what was going wrong, thought it hadn't worked than when I restarted the next time it took a wee bit longer then it worked fine. I think i have only had terminal open a couple of times after finding solutions here but i do like to mess about with things. Waiting for a new modem from virgin as the old one only runs usb, which is fine for net access but I will be adding a wireless router soon so my lappy which also has 7.10 can get some more use.

Any questions i know where to come now.

Walc
April 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
When you click on your profile name in the forums you get to your forum profile. There is a box called Posts. There you can click on "Find all post by..." or "Find all posts started by...".

thx m8

ThomasHC
April 2nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hi all, runing 7.10 on a comoputer I built myself with Ubuntu on a 10gb HD, Win 2000 on another and a 20 gb hd for media files etc. Had no problems exept once when I couln't access or mount the other HDs and I searched and found a solution and another one that i can't even remeber what was going wrong, thought it hadn't worked than when I restarted the next time it took a wee bit longer then it worked fine. I think i have only had terminal open a couple of times after finding solutions here but i do like to mess about with things. Waiting for a new modem from virgin as the old one only runs usb, which is fine for net access but I will be adding a wireless router soon so my lappy which also has 7.10 can get some more use.

Any questions i know where to come now.

So it works now? Hmm, could have been a Win2000 problem.

Joeb454
April 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
It's because Windows uses NTFS partitioning, and NTFS-3g is now standard in an Ubuntu installation, so users can read/write to them by default :)

imzm
April 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
New users :

First, welcome to Ubuutu.

it must be Ubuntu, not ubuutu, right?

NightwishFan
April 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I am guessing, yes?

Joeb454
April 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Well noticed :) I'll get bodhi.zazen to change it ;)

bodhi.zazen
April 6th, 2008, 05:49 AM
New users :

First, welcome to Ubuutu.

it must be Ubuntu, not ubuutu, right?

:lolflag: and only 497 posts before someone noticed.