PDA

View Full Version : Turing Programming Language?

JRevell
March 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hello,
I am in Grade 10 and at my highschool, my computer science course is using the turing programming language (http://www.holtsoft.com/turing/). However, turing is not free... my question is: Is there a free compiler for Turing?

Lux Perpetua
March 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
JRevell, your link is dead.

pmasiar
March 3rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
turing is not free... my question is: Is there a free compiler for Turing?

sorry to disapoint you, but unlikely there is any any free implementation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_programming_language - looks like classic proprietary lock-in. I doubt it is used anywhere outside Canada, and for a good reason: it sucks. Forum also looks quite dead - about 50 new posts in a year :-)

Looks like you've been pwned by your own school. Sad.

Install free Python and learn a real language on your own. Lots of free books and help, and can be used for something beyond satisfy your teacher. Using Python shell, learning language and exploring it's features is easy and fun.

http://learnpydia.pbwiki.com/ has all the links you need. Good luck!

tr333
March 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
JRevell, your link is dead.

remove the bracket from the end of the link :wink:

daniel of sarnia
March 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Yeah don't worry about turing, I had to learn it in grade ten too.

They just use it to convey a basic concept of programing to you, but in the real world it's not used for anything practical.

Just get through it to get a good mark in the class and move on to a more practical programing language AFTER your done with turing in that class. Unless you really think you can keep two languages in your head at once when you just first learning. I would not do it personally, just starting out is hard as it is, but then again you may be smarter then I was in grade ten....

Anyhow I'll see if I can find you a turing compiler for linux, for if I can get one to work through wine. I'll post back if I get something to work.

EDIT: could not find anything useful sorry, but really like I said before turing is just a stepping stone and when you move on to a practical language you won't ever use it again anyways.

azazel00
March 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Back in grade ten I was doing spreadsheets on Lotus 123 to calculate student averages. I guess schools in my country suck.. lol

Anyway, I have to agree with the guys suggesting you take on a programming language and learn it. That is, if you are serious about programming. If all you need is to pass the course, then get a good book, because you don't have much of a choice there.

kosmic
March 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Now I'm curious, Why use Turing instead of Pascal ?? To learn the basics you can start with Pascal :)

rekahsoft
March 4th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Turing is the crapiest language ever!! When i was in grade 8 i and was getting interested in programming i came across it...i stop looking at it after a day and moved to java. I am very happy with the decision i made...I highly recommend that you learn another language or atleast talk to your teacher about how much Turing sucks and that it would be better if you used a language that is actually used in the enterprise. Although if the ciriculum is the same in your school as it is in mine then u will be learning java in grade 11 and 12. It normally depends on the teacher ;)

SIXAXIS
February 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Turing is the crapiest language ever!! When i was in grade 8 i and was getting interested in programming i came across it...i stop looking at it after a day and moved to java. I am very happy with the decision i made...I highly recommend that you learn another language or atleast talk to your teacher about how much Turing sucks and that it would be better if you used a language that is actually used in the enterprise. Although if the ciriculum is the same in your school as it is in mine then u will be learning java in grade 11 and 12. It normally depends on the teacher ;)
It is pretty crappy and easy, but to get the work done, he has to have Turing installed on his Linux machine. Plus, I knew a lot of people who were in my class who couldn't even make a basic program that calculated the area of a circle. So even though Turing is crappy, a lot of high school students can't even understand the basics of it.

Now I'm curious, Why use Turing instead of Pascal ?? To learn the basics you can start with Pascal :)
Turing is based on Pascal so it would be about the same.

BTW, did anybody find a way to have Turing on Linux? My Linux is 64-bit so Turing in WINE is a bit slow.

Nauscar
May 23rd, 2009, 01:26 AM
try running turing in wine! it works for me :P

connorh123
May 23rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
try running turing in wine! it works for me :P

There's no point in bringing this discussion up.