PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for new systems

exisn
March 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
I'm considering building a general purpose server to be used in my houeshold, but would like some input regarding the hardware.

Since it will be on for quite some time every day, low power consumption would be a nice feature to consider, which is why I'm thinking about using a mobile processor (Perhaps a dual core, though I fell it is a little overpowered to just a server).

The servers main purpose will be to serve files to the different computers and act as a print server. In the near future it may be promoted to media center as well.

I'm looking for advise from all yous guys (and gals) out there, who already run a server, as to what I need to be aware of, hardware recommendations etc.

While I'm at it, I'm also considering a new laptop (As the old une has given up for some reason). Both the server and the laptop will be running Linux, so compability is a must.

Any suggestions?

Linuturk
March 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
www.system76.com

exisn
March 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Forgot to mention, I live in Denmark. System 76 doesn't ship outside of North America, though they look nice.

maniacmusician
March 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Sure. I'd suggest a MicroATX form factor machine. Something small, with a decent, but not too powerful processor. Trust me, it takes minimal processing power to be able to transfer files. Media servers want something a little better, but not too much. You definitely don't need a dual core for it. Search around and window shop for some smaller boards and cases to see if you can find anything that fits your budget.

I would also use SATAII (also referred to as SATA 3.0 Gb/s) hard drives instead of IDE ones. They are priced similarly (or comparatively better) to IDE drives, but they have a much faster transfer rate and are generally the choice for any modern system. IDE (also known as PATA) is phasing out. The next generation of computers probably won't even offer the option.