PDA

View Full Version : Python - No \n at the end of a print statement?

ironfistchamp
March 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM
Hey everyone

Just a quickie I hope. How can I stop Python from putting a \n at the end of a print statement. After looking at the documentation it appears that it won't put one if there is a comma at the end but that stops it from printing my string entirely.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ironfistchamp

ghostdog74
March 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM
usually, the comma does the trick. You could post some example of what you want to achieve and the desired output.

ironfistchamp
March 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. Basically I want to present a list of options number 1-n and then accept input. I have a function to get a keypress and try to turn the keypress into an int. That works fine. The problem is that I want it to say "What do you want? " and then give the prompt.

Doing this will print out the string and then have the flashing input block on a new line.

#menu code here

print "What do you want? "
keypress.int_in()

Doing this will just give me the flashing input block and then indent the next printed line.

#menu code here

print "What do you want? ",
keypress.int_in()

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Ironfistchamp

ghostdog74
March 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
i don't know how you did your keypress method, but usually when i want to ask for input, i just use raw_input(). raw_input writes to stdout without newline. you using curses?

pmasiar
March 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM
How can I stop Python from putting a \n at the end of a print statement. After looking at the documentation it appears that it won't put one if there is a comma at the end but that stops it from printing my string entirely.

You have some other issue. Comma at the end does the trick:

>>> print "this", ; print "that"
this that
>>> print "this" ; print "that"
this
that

Show us your code which does not work

pmasiar
March 1st, 2007, 04:24 PM
I want to present a list of options number 1-n and then accept input. I have a function to get a keypress and try to turn the keypress into an int. That works fine. The problem is that I want it to say "What do you want? " and then give the prompt.

why not use build-in function input() or raw_input for this? They have optional prompt parameter.

Or add prompt parameter to your int_in() custom function