PDA

View Full Version : ATI vs NVIDIA in the Ubuntu arena

IoN_PuLse
November 9th, 2004, 04:46 AM
I am considering purchasing a new video card, but I cannot decide between the ATI 9800 PRO or the NVIDIA 5900XT. They are both around the same price for me, but has anyone done any direct comparisons in linux? I know in Windows the 9800 is faster than the 5900XT in most cases, however I've read that NVIDIA has much better linux performance.

I've used NVIDIA's driver under linux with older cards with no problems, worked very well. I know the newer ATI drivers are supposed to be better but still have some issues.

Anyone have any experience or numbers (performance) of their ATI cards to share?

Thanks =)

FLeiXiuS
November 9th, 2004, 07:35 AM
** Moved to Community Chat ** Reasion: Asking Opinions

To be honest we should start a war on who prefers the masterous nvidia or its contender ati :-). I follow nvidia my self and I haven't had a problem yet. As a matter of a fact I can preform highter refresh rates with the linux drivers then with the windows drivers. My graphics card appears to have a complete advantage in linux.

Edit:
OH yeah and with the new nvidia linux drivers which I installed yesterday, I'm really impressed with its improvements with OpenGL and the 2.6 kernel.

zenwhen
November 9th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Its still not even a competition. The Nvidia Linux drivers provide performance almost equal to their Windows counterparts. ATi's aren't even close. Nvidia also provides better dual head support.

IoN_PuLse
November 9th, 2004, 07:47 AM
I was kinda looking for actual comparisons or benchmarks people had taken, but I guess opinions too....

zenwhen
November 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Oh.

Perhaps someone will benchmark the two in Ubuntu, but most who have tried both will not bother with ATi afterwards. :lol:

FLeiXiuS
November 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM
I was kinda looking for actual comparisons or benchmarks people had taken, but I guess opinions too....

take a look at tomshardware.com they usually have outstanding benchmarks.

IoN_PuLse
November 9th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I meant linux-only comparisons, tomshardware doesn't have any I could find...but I guess it's pretty clear, nvidia's drivers are superior.

I've actually had them perform better than windows (Q3A and UT for example) but that could have been better resource management than windows.

mattyh
November 9th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I have an ATI All in Wonder 9600xt. Ubuntu is only the second distro I've gotten 3d acceleration to work with. It was by far the easiest one to get it working with. I think ATI has a lot of room to grow in this department. Hopefully, they will. But, if I were to do it all over again, NVIDIA here I come!!!

kal_zakath
November 10th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I'll go for nvidia if I were you. ATI linux drivers suck so baaaad...

Nvidia seems to have great (or at least, good) linux support, wich is really not the case of ATI. I always bought ATI cards, now I changed my mind and next one will be nvidia, for sure !

jdodson
November 10th, 2004, 01:49 AM
i agree with all here, nvidia is the way to rock. i have heard that ATI had some crazy linux news in the works though, perhaps they are going to open source the drivers...... most likely not. 8-[

HiddenWolf
November 11th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Anandtech has had a linux comparision last month.

Basicly, the Nvidia drivers worked, if not always up to par with windows, they where solid pieces of software.

Half the games they could not get to run on ATI cards, and that is with the ATI support team assisting them.

They had to go to a lot of trouble to get even the amazingly short list of games to work on ATI.

Ask anyone who has 3d acceleration going on an ATI card. If it works, you're so relieved, you don't ever want to touch it again.
ATI drivers do not support X.org, only Xfree, and for anything higher then a Radeon 9200, they are horrendous.

They have promised new drivers, but last I've heard, there is no news on that front.

bitserf
November 12th, 2004, 11:04 AM
apparently ATI was going to have a live chat about their Linux drivers last night on the rage3d IRC channel, but i can't seem to find any logs of that, and the rage3d webserver is down right now.

here's hoping we get 6.8.x support for christmas, i can't afford another card right now :)

bitserf
November 12th, 2004, 11:53 PM
the ATI chat:

http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?node=getarticle&u=content%2Finterviews%2FATIChats%2F&p=4

j-pizzle
November 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Id go with nvidia, though. it appears the ATI drivers for linux have some issues. for instance you can't play OpenGl games while still running XGL for 3d desktop effects with the fglrx driver for ATI.

screaminj3sus
November 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
Id go with nvidia, though. it appears the ATI drivers for linux have some issues. for instance you can't play OpenGl games while still running XGL for 3d desktop effects with the fglrx driver for ATI.

Wow you just bumped a thread that was three years old.

Sand Lee
November 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Wow you just bumped a thread that was three years old.

LOL:lolflag:

Mazza558
November 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
The times are beginning to change now. It's easy to get ATi and Nvidia cards working, and from my experience, the ATi driver is actually better for me than the Nvidia driver, which slows my desktop considerably.

stinkinrich88
August 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
nah, still nvidia. Ati can't handle openGL that well (with compiz) and they can't handle mipmaps in compiz or blur effect. suxx