PDA

View Full Version : Objective C

boon utnubu
February 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Hello all,

First of all I'm new to Ubuntu and I must say that I'm really, really impressed. Definately the best Linux I've ever had the pleasure of running.

Right, to me question. By trade I'm a developer. When developing on Wintendo I code in C# (not my choice but it's actually not a bad language - IMHO). For what little OS X programming I do I use Objective C and the Cocoa framework.

Now, I know I'm probably in the minority here but I actually really like and enjoy developing in Objective C. I know I can code in Objective C on Ubuntu (as I've done some mucking about) but could I use it for real projects in the real world. Yeah I know the Mono framework is starting to come into it's own and we're seeing more and more apps written using that platform but I'd rather use Obj C over C# if I could. I was just wondering if I could Obj C on Ubuntu for something in the real world? I vaguely remember something called Swarm (not sure if that's dead now).

Basically I want to develop on Ubuntu in Objective C and develop something worthwhile, not something that's just going to print out Hello World and then iterate through an array of integers. Oh, by the way, me and C++ have never gotten on :confused:

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated and thanks for reading.

:popcorn:

Note360
February 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Obj-C looks pretty cool, when I was on OS X I was discouraged from it cause I didnt know C, now I know some C and would like to try it out. However, from what I gather it inst the best on Linux. I think you can use the C GTK bindings inside of Obj-C. I think their is somethign called Cocotron, but I am not sure if it works in Linux. C# is really nice on Linux, did you try looking into Python or Ruby?

lnostdal
February 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM
edit: turns out this post doesn't serve much purpose

winch
February 28th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Take a look at GNUstep (http://www.gnustep.org/). I expect very few peole have it installed so that might be an issue if you want others to download and run your software as easily as possible.
You can use Obj-C without gnustep but idiomatic Obj-C makes heavy use of the various frameworks. Without the frameworks it's pretty much C with smalltalk like OO slapped on.

boon utnubu
February 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Wow, thanks guys. Lots to think about there :)

Yeah, I have dabbled with Ruby for a very small project here at work and I like it a lot.

I think I'm going to have aplay calling the C-libraries and toying about with GTK+.

Thanks again guys. Very helpful ):P

Note360
February 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Well their are some ObjC GTK bindings but they are all GTK 1.0 (I think), undocumented and out of development.