PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz

geakMonkey
February 26th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Hello,

I am not a student. I am migrating from Mandrake Linux to Ubuntu to operate a non-profit server. I am interested in a local users group which does not require traveling to the UCSC campus.

Personally, my special interests are scripts and howtos for running a server, maybe fun stuff like playing mp3 lists while working, and my all time favorite...3 second pause...not!(sic) system security.

I favor meetings at cafe's with laptops vs. college campuses and such.

Go Cali-Ubuntu!

greg.hagen
March 21st, 2007, 05:15 AM
I'm an Ubuntu user and I'm often in Lulu Carpenter's downtown. I'm not there often right now as it is the end of the school quarter, but you can recognize me from the huge Ubuntu sticker on my tiny laptop.

I also happen to be the sysadmin for a San Jose loan processing company. I set up their old Debian server for secure remote access, file and printer sharing. The best place to find info is this forum, google, or man pages. Unfortunately, they just switched to Windows 2000. :(

It's good to know I'm not the only Ubuntu user in Santa Cruz.

lcafiero
March 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Chalk up another Ubuntu user in Santa Cruz, geak and Greg (although I use Xubuntu on an iMac while trying, mostly in vain, to get Ubuntu 5.10 running on a PowerBook G3 -- yes, I'm a Mac guy because the hardware never dies).

If you promise to hold those rotten tomatoes, I can tell you that I work as a copy desk editor (state/nation/world news) for the Sentinel and I am also planning to publish a bi-monthly magazine called Open Source Reporter starting in July.

If there's an Ubuntu group forming in Santa Cruz -- or if you think there needs to be one (maybe so) -- I'd be interested. E-mail me at larry.cafiero@gmail.com

geakMonkey
April 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Hi to Ya'll;

Okay, I am ding System Admin using Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Lamp for a non-profit in town. I appologize that I did not read my forum news for a few weeks. I have been super busy doing work. But I am close to Lulu's. My laptop is Windows XP for Wifi. I will accept Mac if you can accept that.

I did have Mandrake dual-booting for several years on several machines. Now, I am using Ubuntu on 64-bit and other machines Live CD when I need something to test.

I have one project to take an PII HP Vectra to use an Ubuntu but it has 128 RAM and hangs. Another project is to take a Dell P4 and dual-boot it but the Windows XP seems to hang-on. I am thinking that the boot is chained to the BIOS. I am interested in recycling some more machines locally.

Email me or message me. We can meet downtown and then talk about ideas and concepts about Ubuntu for Santa Cruz locos.

:popcorn:

force4
August 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Arrr...mates

Yup...another and another. Why wee might even get to be called a group someday.

Posted all my stuff here: :confused:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3149120#post3149120

before I saw this thread.

Let's go sailing...