PDA

View Full Version : prepatition before install

JerichoRick
February 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
this newbie needs help. my Ubuntu CE 6.10 is in the mail. I have partitioned my sata hd after my win xp and xp backup partitions with partition magic 8 for linux. is this a good idea? what level of partition should I use, 2 or 3? I used 3 and made the swamp 1g and the root the rest of the available drive. or, should i just make that portion unformated and let the new distro do it's thing when i get it?

mysticrider92
February 23rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Ubuntu's installer will do the formatting for you as ext3. I would recommend waiting and using the Ubuntu cd to partion to avoid errors or damage (formatting a hard drive while it is in use is not recommended). Just be sure the Win XP backup is in some other place than the drive that Ubuntu will be installed to.

JerichoRick
February 24th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks for that info. With that, I don't know if I should trust PatitionMagic 8.0 to do the new os install for me. I have had bad experiences years past with installing Linux distros. I was hoping this would be a better and safer way. All that I am reading is telling me that the Ubuntu CE disk will self install or self destruct! I had best do as you say and dump a backup of my XP.

Thanks again,
Rick

mysticrider92
February 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I have had a few problems with Linux install cd's, mostly the crashing graphical Gentoo installer that wiped my whole drive, but Ubuntu has always worked for me. I have put it on my computer multiple times and my dad's laptop, and have had no problems. I have always used either the distro cd I am installing from or a GParted live cd.