PDA

View Full Version : Really Simple Question regarding system() in c++

jordoex
February 21st, 2007, 09:09 PM
I haven't programmed a thing in c++ before, im making a automated cd ripper. How do I get the output of a command using system()?
I've only used Java and their APIs are much more useful.

SoggyCornflake
February 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
I haven't programmed a thing in c++ before, im making a automated cd ripper. How do I get the output of a command using system()?
I've only used Java and their APIs are much more useful.

I'm curious: Are you using C++ because it's a better tool choice for making a CD Ripper?

or are you using a CD Ripper program to be a good project to learn C++

I'm guessing the output is a string since system() invokes a terminal session and runs whatever command that is embedded.

xtacocorex
February 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
I don't think system() returns anything. I tried using it in a code to see if a file was in a certain directory, but ended up checking fstream error codes.

po0f
February 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM
jordoex,

Why are you using system() and not the CD ripping libraries directly?

WW
February 21st, 2007, 11:59 PM
"I don't think system() returns anything. ..."

"I'm guessing the output is a string ..."

Why are you guessing? Find the documentation and read it! For example: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/system.html

jordoex
February 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
Wow, i can't believe it. 4 posts and none of you came up with the solution. I figured it out myself about a half hour after I posted. All I have to do is system(command >> outputfile)

And I'm using system because it's easier to config than using the libraries and Im using c++ because yes, i want to learn it and none of the GUI rippers are easy to config and can rip all of the tracks to wav, save the cddb data and then encode them to wahtever later really easily to rip lots of cds with as little time spent by the user inserting and ejecting CDs. Im doing this for a friend, and partly for myself. Also, I want to learn how to use QT designer and KDevelop and such, as, personally, I think KDE is better than Gnome.(Please don't make this into a KDE vs Gnome thread, there are other ones for that)

xtacocorex
February 22nd, 2007, 03:32 AM
How do I get the output of a command using system()?
WW, I know system returns the exit code of the command that it ran, but it doesn't return a string value of data, which is what the OP asked. I also responded to this quickly as I was leaving for an appointment, which I shouldn't have done.

I'm glad you (OP) figured it out though.