PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Way to Install Java 6

jonathan_c
February 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM
There are so many guides to install Java 6 manually on the Ubuntu forums that I kinda got lost between them all (but I did get Java 6 working). I'm writing this guide in order to make it simple to install and easy to understand (through the shell script).

Note: There are 2 ways to install java6 nowadays b/c java6 has been added to the repositories (multiverse)

The following method is if you have the multiverse repository enabled/added to your /etc/apt/sources.list (I won't go covering how to do that here)

To install:

sudo apt-get update
# To install the mozilla plugin remove the # on the next line
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk #sun-java6-plugin
update-java-alternatives --list
# The line above should produce output somewhat similar to:
# java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
# Add the first part of the line above to the end of the next line
sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun

Now if you want to change java versions just do:

sudo update-java-alternatives --set <one of the java versions>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following method shows how to install java 6 manually (in case you don't want multiverse repo. enabled for security reasons or if you just want to learn how to do it)

1. Download the Java 6 SDK (Make sure you download the "Linux self-extracting file") from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
2. After it has finished downloading you will have a file called jdk-6-linux-i586.bin
3. Run the following in the directory that the file is located in (Change any variables as you see fit)

JDKFILE=jdk-6-linux-i586.bin
JDKFOLDER=jdk1.6.0
JDKPATH=/opt

chmod +x $JDKFILE
sh $JDKFILE
sudo mv $JDKFOLDER $JDKPATH

# Uncomment the following line to have Mozilla browsers (i.e. Firefox) load the Java 6 plugin
# ln -s $JDKPATH/$JDKFOLDER/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

echo "export JAVA_HOME=$JDKPATH/$JDKFOLDER" >> ~/.bashrc
echo "PATH=\$JAVA_HOME/bin:\$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin:\$PATH" >> ~/.bashrc

source ~/.bashrc

Now you can test to see if java 6 is installed by running: `java -version` and `javac -version`
This should print out something similar to:

joncfoo@A3200:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode, sharing)

joncfoo@A3200:~$ javac -version
javac 1.6.0

Now if you have other versions of Java installed and want to use them, the easiest way to do is would be to change the JAVA_HOME variable by doing:

export JAVA_HOME=/another/java/directory
After you have done this, just launch whatever application(s) you need under that version of Java

I hope this is straightforward and to the point. If not feel free to ask me any questions.

mr.blacke
February 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Simply understandable! too comprehensive guide. Thank you!

glennric
February 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Isn't it easier to add the edgy-backports repository to your sources.list and install the sun-java6 packages?

jonathan_c
February 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
I did an `apt-cache search java6` right after I saw your post. You're right, it is in the repository. It wasn't there 2 days ago though :)

Thanks!

phossal
February 23rd, 2007, 03:21 AM
Installing Java 6 from the backports is an unworkable method if you need multiple instances, or need to capture the latest updates from SUN as soon as possible. Besides, the package is prepared by a third party using the .bin file from SUN anyway. You suffer any security breaches inherent in the .bin file plus any included in the packaging script - thus explains its placement in backports.

In addition, using the package isn't an option if you need an older version. The backports option is easy, but it isn't easier than just installing the .bin file by yourself. Food for thought.

the.phantom
February 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
sudo apt-get update
sudo update-java-alternatives --set <java version from the command above>

ok the original dummy here
i would just enter this in the terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin
sudo update-java-alternatives --set sun-java6-jdk

that is after making the changes you show in the comments, and think i did it right?

i have a older sun java on here and i have read about not uninstalling or overwriting the old with a new???

thanks for any help confimrming that is the right command
i have the older version working and don't want to blow out java as i need it

jonathan_c
February 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
the.phantom,
If you used apt-get to install the new java6 then it shouldn't overwrite any other java versions. All the older versions should still be installed along-side the new version.

On my machine `update-java-alternatives --list` produces:

joncfoo@A3200:~$ update-java-alternatives --list
java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
Running `sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun` would be the correct command for me to run.

If by chance the output on your `update-java-alternatives --list` shows "sun-java6-jdk <some number> <path to sun-java6-jdk>" then it is perfectly ok for you to run `sudo update-java-alternatives --set sun-java6-jdk`

neptune
February 28th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Wow this is awesome! Works like a charm.

Thanks!

mmceldowney
February 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
If you have or prefer, as I do, to manually install the latest from Sun and you have followed the manual installation instructions above, then you can update your system alternatives as such:

(I'm assuming you've moved the jdk directory to /opt)

update-alternatives --install java java /opt/jdk1.6.0_04/bin/ 1
update-alternatives --config java

Then select the number for your newly installed jdk.

Mike

mymessiah
September 13th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Thank you so much OP I have been trying to download java for 2 days now nothing worked except your help. I am new to linux this saved my life.

spliceroverlord
July 25th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Hi, when I execute the command line:
I receive an error message at the end of the process list, stating:
Errors were encountered while processing:
sun-j2re1.6
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
These are the last three lines of the process, then, when I try to run the "sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun
" command in the list, the whole process list(4 lines) is just errors:
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for mozilla-javaplugin.so.
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for xulrunner-1.9-javaplugin.so.
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for mozilla-javaplugin.so.
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for xulrunner-1.9-javaplugin.so.
Although the terminal displays error messages, it still allows me to carry on with the commands following, and displays:

java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)
oliver@Oliver:~$ javac -version
javac 1.6.0_20
when I try to run the java version command, and then, for the javac version, it states:
javac 1.6.0_20
It would appear that Java installed correctly, but when I go into firefox, I tried to run a java game, and it wouldn't install, I also attempted installing the iced tea plugin when I realised that java wasn't working, but that displayed exactly the same error message that I first noted, Is there something wrong with my system, or am I juat not installing correctly?
Cheers.

Pete B
March 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I want to install jdk on Ubuntu 10.10 Pretty much a newbie to Linux and was hoping to find it in the Software Centre - but no deal.

Are these suggestions still relevant?

Cheers,

Pete