PDA

View Full Version : Dell Ideastorm: Pre-installed Linux

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 20th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Hi guys, just thought I'd share this, it's pretty interesting. Dell launched a site at www.dellideastorm.com (http://www.dellideastorm.com/) to collect ideas from users and consumers for ideas for Dell.

The number one voted idea so far?

Preinstalled Linux, including Ubuntu.

djembe330
February 20th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I saw this also and voted for pre-installed linux. This would be a great step forward for open source software. Hopefully Dell will actually listen and others will follow. I encourage everyone to go and vote!

Vorian
February 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Dude, I'm getting a Dell (with Linux)!

jpeddicord
February 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I actually ordered a Dell laptop on Sunday, sadly with Vista. I might see if I can send Vista back, I know it has been done before.

Voted.

wesley_of_course
February 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Wesley here :

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Apache/2.2.2 (Fedora) Server at www.dellideastorm.com Port 80

hackle577
February 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Submitted to reddit! Upvote it!

http://reddit.com/info/15l3c/comments

Sidster
February 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Apache/2.2.2 (Fedora) Server at www.dellideastorm.com Port 80

LOL :) That's excellent! They're running Apache. It means they already have a soft spot for Linux. Although the fact that it's down doesn't reflect well on... well you know. I suppose the well informed know that it can be down for a myriad of reasons.

Can't wait for it to be back up so I can cast my vote :)

nick.inspiron6400
February 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I would really like Dell to offer Linux as a choice. I think the problem is Dell has got a deal with Micro$oft, and that is to just sell Window$.

You can get a refund, just decline the EULA. Then write to Dell, someone in the UK did that. God bless him!

I probably wont buy a Dell again if they dont offer Linux. I would buy a IBM Lenovo ThinkPad.

Oki
February 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I have never liked Dell, but that will change in a snap if they will sell with Linux - going to vote as soon as the the site is up again.-)

This would be quite big, MS will go crazy, just as last time.