PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu addition changed bootsplash ??

glenn69
February 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I have been running CE and decided to add the kde desktop by : sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop.

Now, when I boot up the starting screen (I believe it is the bootsplash) displays kubuntu rather than ubuntu Christian Edition.

How do I set it back to the CE splash ?

aysiu
February 15th, 2007, 03:35 AM
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Different_usplash

glenn69
February 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
OK, that worked to change bootsplash to standard ubuntu. What I really want to do is change it back to the Ubuntu Christian Editiion bootsplash.

How would I do that ?

mhancoc7
February 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM
OK, that worked to change bootsplash to standard ubuntu. What I really want to do is change it back to the Ubuntu Christian Editiion bootsplash.

How would I do that ?

You could run the upgrade_me script. It should adjust the bootsplash back to the original Ubuntu CE one.

www.mirror.christianubuntu.com

Jereme

montgoej
February 17th, 2007, 05:10 AM
If you don't wanna download/install the whole script just download the attached file, open a terminal and navigate to wherever you downloaded it, then type:

tar -xvf usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so.tar.gz
sudo cp -f "usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so" "/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so"
sudo ln -sf "/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so" "/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so"
sudo update-initramfs -u

~Jordan Montgomery

glenn69
February 18th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks Jordan,

I ran the following 2 lines of your script :

sudo ln -sf "/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so" "/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so"
sudo update-initramfs -u

However, in the spirit of learning linux......what exactly did those 2 lines accomplish. I can see the first line creates some sort of a link, but why?
Second line...I'm clueless.

Thanks

mysticrider92
February 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks Jordan,

sudo update-initramfs -u

However, in the spirit of learning linux......what exactly did those 2 lines accomplish. I can see the first line creates some sort of a link, but why?

I am not completely sure about the first one, but I think that it is kind of tricking init to load a different splash screen. The second code tells it to update the initramfs, which is one of the two first files loaded on boot (initrd and vmlinuz). It basically puts all necessary files to boot into RAM, including modules (aka, drivers) and scripts to start various processes and your bootsplash.

montgoej
February 19th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Thanks Jordan,

sudo update-initramfs -u

Thanks
tar -xvf usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so.tar.gz

sudo cp -f "usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so" "/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so"

sudo update-initramfs -u

First line unpacks the .tar.gz archive. Second line copies the file to /usr.lib.usplash. Third line makes a link between /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-ubuntu-ce.so and /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so. Fourth line updates initram and makes it use the Ubuntu CE splash screen.

~Jordan Montgomery

Jimmy_r
February 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I can add that at least from edgy and forward, it is recommended to use update-alternatives to switch between usplash themes:
sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so
If you have changed the symlinks manually, this might not work unless you do a

sudo ln -sf /etc/alternatives/usplash-artwork.so /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so first.

oceanspray
February 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Different_usplash

Had the same problem, thanks for the link!