PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "illegitimate state" controversy.

manmower
February 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Some additional thoughts about the closing of the "Israel: Illegitimate State?" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2148277&postcount=103) thread which I see has already been brought up here. I hope this falls within the guidelines (one issue per thread, but no mention of multiple threads on one issue).

I believe matthew was genuinely trying to keep the thread alive by suggesting to let it cool off for a day. However, in the state as it is now, those members who did not comply with that suggestion are the people who had the last word. At the very least if the thread is to remain closed I would suggest their final comments be deleted out of fairness to those who respected the request.
The fact that posting continued during the proposed cooldown period constitutes a valid reason for closing the thread. However, I disagree with the way this decision was carried out. I believe that if it had to be done, it should be by someone who has remained neutral in the discussion. No matter the reason for closing the thread, the way in which it was handled suggests abuse of power (be it perceived or real).
I resent the accusations of "new anti-semitism" (which in itself is a contested concept), regardless of who they were directed at or who they were coming from. One post was jailed for comparing the ideology of Zionism to Nazism. From an objective point of view I don't see how doing the inverse and accusing someone who is not pro-Israel of anti-semitism is acceptable. One could similarly accuse those taking a pro-Israel stance in the discussion of racism towards Palestinians or Arabs in general, by the way.

matthew
February 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM
You have some good comments and thoughts here. Thank you for your input. I'm considering all the angles and doing my best to work this out in a positive manner.

I'll get back to everyone on this issue as soon as I can.

matthew
February 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Some additional thoughts about the closing of the "Israel: Illegitimate State?" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2148277&postcount=103) thread which I see has already been brought up here. I hope this falls within the guidelines (one issue per thread, but no mention of multiple threads on one issue).

I believe matthew was genuinely trying to keep the thread alive by suggesting to let it cool off for a day. However, in the state as it is now, those members who did not comply with that suggestion are the people who had the last word. At the very least if the thread is to remain closed I would suggest their final comments be deleted out of fairness to those who respected the request.I think this is a valid request.

The fact that posting continued during the proposed cooldown period constitutes a valid reason for closing the thread. However, I disagree with the way this decision was carried out. I believe that if it had to be done, it should be by someone who has remained neutral in the discussion. No matter the reason for closing the thread, the way in which it was handled suggests abuse of power (be it perceived or real).That is what I am going to do. I'm writing a new post at the end of the thread with my full reasoning.

I resent the accusations of "new anti-semitism" (which in itself is a contested concept), regardless of who they were directed at or who they were coming from. One post was jailed for comparing the ideology of Zionism to Nazism. From an objective point of view I don't see how doing the inverse and accusing someone who is not pro-Israel of anti-semitism is acceptable. One could similarly accuse those taking a pro-Israel stance in the discussion of racism towards Palestinians or Arabs in general, by the way.I see your point and I am discussing the matter with the person in question.

I hope this resolves the issue satisfactorily...I'm not Solomon, but I'm doing my best.

manmower
February 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'm not Solomon, but I'm doing my best.

Rest assured, it is very much appreciated. I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the thread lasting as long as it did in the first place.