PDA

View Full Version : My kb has a turbo button?

hk_2999
February 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM
What does this mean? It's right below Enter, to the right of Shift.

Is the world coming to an end?

Kateikyoushi
February 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Are you still on 386 ? :) That might as well be the autofire for shooting games.

maagimies
February 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Aah, I remember my 486dx had a turbo button on the front, in turbo it ran at 66mhz and without in 25mhz.
I normally used it as a slowdown cheat in dos games if I faced a too tough opponent :P

Kateikyoushi
February 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Not mentioning how often someone else had the need to push that button during class on MY machine...

hk_2999
February 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Seriously, im using an AMD 3200 am2 processor.

And it's in my keyboard!
So, can I use shortcuts for it or something?

jeffc313
February 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM
can i see a picture of the keyboard, where on earth did you get it?

hk_2999
February 11th, 2007, 07:39 PM
can i see a picture of the keyboard, where on earth did you get it?

From our local keyboard manufacturer. It only cost $4 if converted to USD.

http://www.cdrking.com/local/products/index.php?action=mnu&temp=2&typeno=l&prod=Keyboards&prodcode=kb_809
http://www.cdrking.com/images/products/Keyboards/kb_809.gif

The one above the right CTRL is the turbo button. The salespeople has no idea either why the manufacturer bothered to put it there, and ubuntu doesn't seem to detect it whenever I add a shortcut to it in the GNOME keyboard settings.

Aren't there anyone else who has a keyboard like this too?

jeffc313
February 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
From our local keyboard manufacturer. It only cost $4 if converted to USD.

http://www.cdrking.com/local/products/index.php?action=mnu&temp=2&typeno=l&prod=Keyboards&prodcode=kb_809
http://www.cdrking.com/images/products/Keyboards/kb_809.gif

The one above the right CTRL is the turbo button. The salespeople has no idea either why the manufacturer bothered to put it there, and ubuntu doesn't seem to detect it whenever I add a shortcut to it in the GNOME keyboard settings.

Aren't there anyone else who has a keyboard like this too?
if it isnt detected, just use it for whatever purpise you see it fit. I also find it funny that the driver download is a 404 error. :)

hk_2999
February 11th, 2007, 08:15 PM
if it isnt detected, just use it for whatever purpise you see it fit. I also find it funny that the driver download is a 404 error. :)

:lolflag: Ah... who cares about any shift-place-stealing-turbo-key-that-doesn't-work anyways, i have 18 other keys to play with! :)

Anyway, if anyone actually found a way I could map this key to a program, I would be grateful.

mykalreborn
February 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Aah, I remember my 486dx had a turbo button on the front, in turbo it ran at 66mhz and without in 25mhz.
I normally used it as a slowdown cheat in dos games if I faced a too tough opponent :P
i've allways thought the turbo button on the pc was just for show and didn't really work.
now i'll die smarter. :P

hk_2999
February 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
i've allways thought the turbo button on the pc was just for show and didn't really work.
now i'll die smarter. :P

me too! :guitar:

moeFinley
February 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM

It was because some applications relied on a specific slower clock speed. As machines got faster these apps became too quick to use or just crashed, hense the turbo button. Still I haven't seen one since the early 90s!

mykalreborn
February 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
early 90s...
lol. i've had one of those computers 2 years ago. :D

kevinf311
February 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I've heard that the Turbo button on cases depended on the motherboard inside as to whether or not they worked.

We had one on our old 3.1 box. The computer was built by an independent shop and it actually did change the speed.

Haha, I used it to slow down games too! Take that Duke Nukem boss!

RandomJoe
February 11th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Most of the old case turbo buttons (and the LED display that went along with them) were "dumb". As far as the mobo was concerned, they were just a plan on/off switch. Closed contacts = full speed, open contacts = slow speed. (Or vice versa, just depended on the board.) The boards did NOT actually report the speed they were operating at. The backside of the LED display was a mass of jumpers, which could be reconfigured to display whatever you wanted! (Assuming you could find the instructions...)

As for the keyboard's turbo button, I had an OmniKey keyboard that had one, it had something to do with programming or using macros that were stored in the keyboard itself. You could tell the keyboard to memorize some sequence of keys, then hit Turbo and the key you assigned the macro to and it would spit that sequence back out. Or something like that... That was a long time ago!

hk_2999
February 12th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I've heard that the Turbo button on cases depended on the motherboard inside as to whether or not they worked.

We had one on our old 3.1 box. The computer was built by an independent shop and it actually did change the speed.

Haha, I used it to slow down games too! Take that Duke Nukem boss!

Duke Nukem boss? Who could forget Dr. Proton!!!