PDA

View Full Version : Whaddaya Think About Edgy?

thomasaaron
February 10th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Hey, folks.

So, I've got Dapper on my Acer Aspire 3000 laptop. Getting the wireless working and the screen resolution right took some doing, but now that I've been using it for several months, I will never (Did I say "never"? My bad. I meant "NEVER!" go back to Wind-ooze.)

I COMPLETELY make my living with my laptop, so when I say I'm satisfied with Dapper, I mean it. But, I'm a naturally curious fellow, and I'm wondering about Edgy.

For now, I'm pretty sure I'll stay with Dapper (since it has LTS) until Edgy is finalized. But what do you guys think about Edgy? How does it compare to Dapper?

Best,
Tom

Engnome
February 10th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Can't vote as I'm not sure what your options really mean...

My edgy experience has been smooth...search around and ye shall find many threads discussing this.

Warning though for upgrading, it's a little risky.

23meg
February 10th, 2007, 01:20 AM
For now, I'm pretty sure I'll stay with Dapper (since it has LTS) until Edgy is finalized. Edgy is finalized; it's the current stable version.

maxamillion
February 10th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Edgy is finalized; it's the current stable version.

Stable is a fluid concept in the world of Edgy .... :(

SunnyRabbiera
February 10th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Edgy is finalized; it's the current stable version.
well current yes, but stable is another issue.
Of course I have had little issues with edgy but there arre a number of reports of it being not up to the same level as dapper.

seijuro
February 10th, 2007, 01:27 AM
there really isn't an option for my opinion of edgy. It's somewhere between the first two options it's better than "almost but not a home run" but it definitely does not cast shadows. I upgraded from dapper just recently (last week) clean install. It has some newer stuff runs loads shuts down a bit faster. Couple things work on it that didn't work on dapper (my dad's scanner for example). However my modem driver is a bit more unstable on Edgy, but I blame Linuxant for that because they're selling a closed source driver that judging by the quality is reverse engineered rather than licensed as they claim. If you need newer software for something or something you want to get working isn't working under dapper you might try Edgy but if everything you have works and does everything you want I wouldn't risk Edgy throwing a wrench in something that is doing everything you want it to. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

23meg
February 10th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Of course I have had little issues with edgy but there arre a number of reports of it being not up to the same level as dapper.

Stable is a fluid concept in the world of Edgy .... :(
The term "stable version" used in context of an OS doesn't say anything about its degree of stability.

SunnyRabbiera
February 10th, 2007, 01:30 AM
spoot, ignore this...
my bad, accidental post

23meg
February 10th, 2007, 01:32 AM
There are also a number of reports of it being on a par with or more stable than Dapper. Everyone reports their own experience, which depends on their needs, their hardware configuration, their level of expertise, their expectations, so on.

maxamillion
February 10th, 2007, 01:33 AM
The term "stable version" used in context of an OS doesn't say anything about its degree of stability.

I come form a debian background so I am just used to a higher level of stability, but yes ... I suppose you are correct.

entangled
February 10th, 2007, 01:41 AM
If its any help, I am normally a ubuntu 6.06 user, but have just tried kubuntu 6.10 inside vmware.
I was really put off by things not working as expected in kubuntu. For a start the installer completely failed at first attempt. Windows networking was dead; it normally works immediately after a fresh install of ubuntu. Sound was dead; again normally OK in ubuntu. Kaffeine player crashed after the second clip I played. It took X server with it. This is repeatable. Also many dialog windows have a habit of opening too small, with controls out of sight and text overwriting things. You have to resize to see properly. Also - many games don't resize window contents.
I am used to gnome ubuntu 6.06 where none of these criticisms apply so I am not sure if it's kde or going to 6.10 that is the problem.
I've stopped trying to use kubuntu 6.10 now.

NewOldTimer
February 10th, 2007, 01:55 AM
in reply to the title...I love it , yeah I'm a noob in more ways than one{1st linux distro, windows user all of my previous experience{say's enough} etc. etc.... I know I can't compare to other version's, or even on the stable debate, but as a guy that just wanted a little more control over my pc, my choice of app's, my own thought's on what is or isn't a O/S for me, I feel as if I've been smiled down upon by the Guru's of above. This install went what I as a noob would call "excellent" Maybe I'm just lucky but I've had no "major" problems, it seems to me it's very stable, 99% of any problems have been due to my own lack of knowledge and/or not doing my homework first.
Sorry if I wasted any of your time, but like my gun's, Guitar's, dogs and yes even my wife... you'll have to pry my Ubuntu/Egdy out of my cold dead hand's{unless like I tell my wife... something better come's along}lol

Polygon
February 10th, 2007, 02:21 AM
from my experience, edgy is OK... but dapper is way more stable

during the upgrade, the installer did not put a UUID for my /home partiton and every time i booted up, fsck "died with error status 8" until i could figure out how to enter it manually

randomy one time, most of the applets in gnome-panel were malfunctioning, like the quit button just logged me out instead of giving me a choice

But there are some good things about edgy, and im my opinion the good outweighs the bad.

beast2k
February 10th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Edgy is beyond great, it's so far beyond great that the light from great will take a billion years to hit edgy. There was the invention of the wheel and then there was edgy. Edgy is so humbling I am but a spec on edgys but.

FuturePilot
February 10th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I don't think Edgy is as stable as Dapper. I tried Edgy out but it just seemed to buggy. I'm using Dapper now and it's rock solid:)

jrjazzman
February 10th, 2007, 03:03 AM
To those still running Dapper: How do you deal with the Dapper repos containing old versions of all your applications? I have this problem even with Edgy. Either the repos have old versions, or the apps were compiled without certain features enabled I need. I realize the latter part is a separate issue, but the general questions still applies. thanks.

Jeremy

FuturePilot
February 10th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Well if you want a new version of a program that what's in the Dapper repos, I guess you could build it from source. It does bug me a little that the programs are older versions too. For example, Firefox 2.0 has not been released for Dapper. But there is a guide on how to install it.

ramjet_1953
February 10th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I have found Edy to be more "stable" than Dapper. Not a single lockup since I installed it some time ago.

I had problems with the system freezing when using Evolution under Dapper, but have had no problems under Edgy.

One problem that I have encountered, though, is that no matter what I do, I just can't get my Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro to work. When I try to configure it using Ekiga, it goes through the motions, the LED on the camera blinks during the testing phase, but all I get at the end is a light-grey screen. I've tried all of the "How-To's" that have been posted, but no-go.

It worked fine under Dapper and also works under Feisty.

Regards,
Roger :cool:

guitarmaniac
February 10th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I use edgy at the moment and I must say its not as stable as dapper but I like to live on the bleeding edge.
I think if everything just worked I'd soon get bored and not want to use my computer oddly enough.
but I'm weird like that...