PDA

View Full Version : The response to this section

panickedthumb
May 20th, 2005, 03:50 AM
I'm absolutely thrilled with the response we've gotten to this forum section. It's fantastic that people understand the need for it, and that so many people have contributed so far. Thanks everyone!

dejitarob
May 20th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Where's the Ubuntu Men section? Oh wait, thats the rest of the forum :D

bored2k
May 20th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Where's the Ubuntu Men section? Oh wait, thats the rest of the forum :D
That's not correct. The forums were not aimed at a particular genre. We ask for everyone's respect towards the whole ubuntuforums, but a little extra for this one, because it can get trollish in here just like it did yesterday. If you or anyone doesn't agree with this, it really does not matter. Now before anyone posts "well why the division?"

The group is not for only women, but for people who want to see an increase in women to the community.
I'm just trying to correct you politely before someone else goes berserk..

dejitarob
May 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM
I apologize for leaving out the <sarcasm /> tags and being unaware of any previous discussion. It's a common response to narrow-minded individuals who view any attempt to deviate from the majority as mere "political correctness". I unfortunately have heard (and even said) "well that's everything else" all too often but perhaps not enough. I should of found wherever the original discussion occurred and contributed there but I'll just attribute this to very limited free time.

poofyhairguy
May 21st, 2005, 02:20 AM
Where's the Ubuntu Men section?

I guess its waiting to be made......

kassetra
May 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM
I apologize for leaving out the <sarcasm /> tags and being unaware of any previous discussion. It's a common response to narrow-minded individuals who view any attempt to deviate from the majority as mere "political correctness". I unfortunately have heard (and even said) "well that's everything else" all too often but perhaps not enough. I should of found wherever the original discussion occurred and contributed there but I'll just attribute this to very limited free time.

It's ok. No harm done, and you obviously understand the need for a broader mindset. :)

noordinaryspider
May 21st, 2005, 10:54 PM
I'm thrilled to see this section and have never seen a women's forum or interest in a women's forum mentioned on any of the other Linux sites I go to.

To be bluntly honest, I'm usually watching myself very carefully to make sure I don't allude to anything that might give away my gender; I have always been afraid that I would not be taken seriously if I did.

I'm voluntarily giving it away today because of a recent shock: when I couldn't think of any more excuses for not meeting my local LUG offline, nobody even blinked an eyelash when I showed up all girl. They treated me the same as they always had on the forums.

Perhaps I underestimate your average Linux user because of my experience with your average Windows user; my bad.

Right now I am running Kubuntu 5.04 on a Dell Dimension V400, 400 Mhz PII, 256 MB RAM, 8.45 gig HD. It previously dual-booted with Mandrake 10.1 and Win2000. It was very slow but worth the $30 I paid for it on eBay. Since I put Kubuntu on, I have been getting confused about which PC my KVM is set to.

The other PC is a Dimension 4500, 2.45Ghz, 1gig of RAM running Slackware.

My son is looking for a slightly more "Bells 'n Whistles" distro than Dam* Small Linux for gaming, and since a search of his favorite game, Battle For Wesnoth, brought me right back here I will probably put Ubuntu with Gnome (for variety's sake) on his machine within the next week or so.

My boyfriend has very little interest in computers so I am constantly having to help him with his machine, which currently has hardware problems and/or Windows XP.

panickedthumb
May 22nd, 2005, 02:53 AM
Welcome noordinaryspider-- I like the nick and the location ;)

It's great that you've become comfortable in your gender in the tech world. We're out to give every woman that experience :)

primeirocrime
May 25th, 2005, 02:36 AM
This section is great! My mother and sister were quite surprised when I mentioned this. They are this close to delete xp, this close [hand gesture here] :)

kassetra
May 25th, 2005, 04:39 AM
noordinaryspider: while your nick sends me looking for my shoe... I'm super glad you've found us! As you can see, we have a genuine desire for all Women to be able to comfortably ask questions and work with Linux. :)

primeirocrime: Tell your sis and mom to "come on in, the water's fine!"

Also, I am making arrangements to have local Ubuntu Women's groups - to have install fests, help, etc. :)