PDA

View Full Version : Should the default GDM theme have a chooser

prizrak
February 9th, 2007, 12:46 AM
So far I have always switched my GDM theme to have a chooser in it. I think it would be a welcome change for people with multi user accounts since you wouldn't need to remember usernames. It's also nice for single user accounts since you only put the password in. What do you think?

Sqwishy
February 9th, 2007, 12:54 AM
do you mean the default theme should have a list of users?
like this
http://gnome-look.org/content/pre1/48213-1.jpg

qamelian
February 9th, 2007, 01:40 AM
It's a matter of taste. Personally, i don't like choosers on my login screen, but I can understand why others might prefer it.

Stemp
February 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I like choosers in gdm, I even created a version based on Ubuntu human since Warty ;)

ixus_123
February 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I don't like the 'choosers'. I think they look untidy & if any of your family are snooping around your account they only need guess the password as you give them the user name for free

maxamillion
February 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I can understand how some home users might find it practical, but lets say I wanted to launch a business implementation with 1000+ end users, the menu would be alot of overhead to generate and would just clutter the interface.

I think if you have rights to use the computer, you should be aware of your username.

mykalreborn
February 11th, 2007, 10:59 PM
the current gdm was the first thing i liked about ubuntu. so there... my opinion...

bastiegast
February 11th, 2007, 11:44 PM
It has other practical uses. I sometimes (when my hands are cold for example) mistype my username and press enter. Then I realize I typed it wrong and no matter what password I type, I will have to wait for the fail delay which is very annoying. If theres a list of users and I mistype my password I can still click on my name to avoid having to wait for a fail delay. Would take away some annoyances for me.
Oh and most people only have one account on their computer so if theres a list they don have to type their username. These are small things but enough reason to make the change I'd say.

Polygon
February 12th, 2007, 01:00 AM
it would be nice to have a official ubuntu gdm theme with a chooser, as i personally like the non chooser one, but i can understand why people would want one with the ability to just click on a picture and type in a password. so... why not make both an option? =P

Stemp
February 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM
For those interested by an ubuntu gdm theme with a chooser, see : Gdm Human with user list (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1696299&postcount=15)
Comments highly welcome.

prizrak
February 12th, 2007, 03:21 AM
do you mean the default theme should have a list of users?
like this
http://gnome-look.org/content/pre1/48213-1.jpg

Yep that's exactly what I meant.

This is a matter of preference but to me seems like it's easier for an end user to have a chooser. In the case of a corporate deployment I would assume you would be making a custom OEM style install image since there are alot of things that come with Ubuntu that shouldn't be/have no use in an organizational environment. There are also certain things that are vital (NFS/SMB) in large organizational deployments.