PDA

View Full Version : The future Dansguardian GUI...

mhancoc7
February 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well, we have just released Ubuntu CE v2.1 (Edgy) and Ubuntu CE v1.5.2 (Dapper) and I am already working on more improvements to the dansguardian GUI.

I am hoping to be able to add the "Accountabiltiy" feature, but I am running into a few issues with ips being blocked when sending emails from the command line.

One of the criticisms that the dansguardian GUI received from a web review of Ubuntu CE was that it was not very polished. So that is what I am trying to do.

The future release of Ubuntu CE will include the latest version which includes both "Basic" and "Advanced" configuration options. This will make it easier for those who are not familiar or who do not feel comfortable editing the dansguardian config file by hand. I have also polished the GUI up a bit with progress bars and status indicators.

Here are a few screenshots of what I have so far. I may eventually release this as a beta version for those interested.

God Bless, Jereme

urukrama
February 7th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I installed dansguardian on my Dapper laptop before you came out with your GUI, and didn't want to go through the hassle of starting from scratch with dansguardian just to have a nice GUI (though it is nice!).

Having only seen a few basic screenshots of the GUI, I don't quite know how it works. If I would click on, say, exception site list (whitelist, I think it is called in the GUI?), does that then open gedit (or whatever one's text editor is), or does it open the list in a special Dansguardian GUI window?

I'm just curious how it works. I might install the GUI next time I do a (re)install of Ubuntu.

mhancoc7
February 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I installed dansguardian on my Dapper laptop before you came out with your GUI, and didn't want to go through the hassle of starting from scratch with dansguardian just to have a nice GUI (though it is nice!).

Having only seen a few basic screenshots of the GUI, I don't quite know how it works. If I would click on, say, exception site list (whitelist, I think it is called in the GUI?), does that then open gedit (or whatever one's text editor is), or does it open the list in a special Dansguardian GUI window?

I'm just curious how it works. I might install the GUI next time I do a (re)install of Ubuntu.

Well, let me first let you know that you can install the GUI to your system without messing with the rest of your system. Just go to the download page www.mirror.christianubuntu.com (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.mirror.christianubuntu.com) and select Edgy or Dapper depending on your needs and you will find the script to install the GUI only.

Now, when you click the buttons (ie "Banned Extensions") it will open the corresponding dansguardian config file in gedit. The enhancements that I am working on now will allow new users to simply select from three "levels" of filtering instead of having to edit the config files directly.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

God Bless, Jereme

mhancoc7
February 8th, 2007, 02:54 AM
For those interested, I have released the latest beta version of the Dansguardian GUI.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2121324#post2121324

God Bless, Jereme

urukrama
February 8th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks, Jereme. I might try it out.

doobit
February 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I tried the GUI in the attachment here, and I really like it. The link to the one on the Ubuntu CE site still installs the original v.1.3 GUI however.

mhancoc7
February 11th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I tried the GUI in the attachment here, and I really like it. The link to the one on the Ubuntu CE site still installs the original v.1.3 GUI however.

Thanks, I am working on some more improvements now.

Yes the "official" download should now be v1.4. It does not include the newest features since they are still in beta.

God Bless, Jereme