PDA

View Full Version : "Intel will begin producing high-end discrete graphics cards"

agurk
February 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Check this (http://www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=874) out, at least I hadn't heard about it before. Another post mentions some other interesting stuff (http://www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=708) as well. Looks like things are starting to move. :)

(I later found the /. article (http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/23/0235249) that I had obviously missed, sorry if it's old news to y'all)

23meg
February 7th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Great news, assuming they'll keep providing open source drivers.

Brainfart
February 7th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Great news, assuming they'll keep providing open source drivers.
Pretty sure they'd keep it open. No reason not to. I think the main reason nVIdia doesn't open theirs is due to issues with IP. I've read that mentioned a few times at least...

23meg
February 7th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Pretty sure they'd keep it open. No reason not to. I think the main reason nVIdia doesn't open theirs is due to issues with IP. I've read that mentioned a few times at least...
Frankly I don't care much why they don't, as long as there's a rival who does.

IYY
February 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Frankly I don't care much why they don't, as long as there's a rival who does.

But there isn't a rival who does and also produces high-end cards. Until Intel actually starts producing these cards mentioned in the OP.

23meg
February 7th, 2007, 02:16 AM
But there isn't a rival who does and also produces high-end cards. Until Intel actually starts producing these cards mentioned in the OP.
Hence my choice of wording:
as long as there's a rival who does.

BarfBag
February 7th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Nice! I've already decided that my next PC is going to have an Intel processor. If this has open drivers, I'll definitely get one of these as well.

the_darkside_986
February 7th, 2007, 04:13 AM
This sounds great. Nvidia gives me a stupid closed-source driver that causes X to restart for no reason randomly. If it were open source, someone would get the code and fix it quickly. Other than that it works well. Nvidia's opengl library is sorta yucky because it doesn't render the text in Billard-GL properly (can't read a thing). I assume that's the problem.

FyreBrand
February 7th, 2007, 05:42 AM
At home I have an Nvidia 6800 and I love it. I think they make pretty good cards. I don't mind the closed drivers and they aren't that much trouble to install.

At work my machine has an Intel 9xx integrated graphics chipset. I was surprised at how easy it is to setup beryl on that thing and what a nice card it is. If Intel made stand alone video cards I would check them out.

mips
February 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hopefully they ramp up performance in future as the current GMA X3000 is a snail compared to ati & nvidia offerings.

Magnes
February 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM
If Intel will produce card with open source drivers faster than my GF6200 I'll sell my GF and buy an Intel card immediately. :)

Kateikyoushi
February 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well I am sure if they want to be serious need to match at least the mid range cards performance.
They have the highest manufacturing technilogy so I would love to see some 40nm midrange chips with low power requirements for notebooks.

Sunnz
February 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Perhaps the most stupid question in the thread... the high end cards would be like PCI-E AGP not some integrated chip-set, right?

mips
February 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yes that is my understanding.

Thing is i read somewhere that Intel is doing this because of Vista requirements and are making cards just powerfull enough for that but dont compete on the high end side.

Sunnz
February 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Yes that is my understanding.

Thing is i read somewhere that Intel is doing this because of Vista requirements and are making cards just powerfull enough for that but dont compete on the high end side.
Talk about Vista, has anyone read the Cost Analyst thing?
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

It talks about how manufacturer might be developing hardware to support DRM... at the cost of the end user... it might have a modules that is only for DRM... it might not even be compatible with Linux.

I hope Intel isn't developing this thing for the DRMs in Vista!!!

Brunellus
February 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Talk about Vista, has anyone read the Cost Analyst thing?
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

It talks about how manufacturer might be developing hardware to support DRM... at the cost of the end user... it might have a modules that is only for DRM... it might not even be compatible with Linux.

I hope Intel isn't developing this thing for the DRMs in Vista!!!
good catch. that's probably why Intel is moving in this direction.

Sunnz
February 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Well, I really hope they leave room for Linux... I mean, there are mixed feelings around Intel... on one hand they are pro-FLOSS and Linux, they liked it and made their graphics chip-sets open and stuff... or the other hand they got to work with MS and Apple... and made their motherboard specification so closed that it is hard to make LinuxBIOS work on it....

Probably the situation where we can only pray for the best to come...