View Full Version : Jabber gateways vs. built-in MSN support of GAIM, aMSN etc.?

February 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Which one is better and more stable to use, built-in MSN support of GAIM and other clients, or using the MSN gateways with any Jabber client? (Gajim seems to be the best Jabber-only client.)

What I call "stable" is;
-the solution with *full* messaging and chat support without any problems,
-the solution with *painless* file-transfer support.

What I call "better" is;
-Support for status messages and avatars (not mandatory),
-GNOME integration would be OK.

(IMHO, support for smileys and text decorations isn't needed at all. Any extras like nudge, MSN spaces are useless too.)

February 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I think that my thread was misunderstood. This thread aims to compare MSN gateways (transports) with the native MSN support of some programs. I never meant to start another "GAIM vs. aMSN", "GAIM vs. Kopete" thread, as I could see there have been plenty of them, it is not my target anyway.

The first question of this thread is to determine the most stable solution for MSN, second one could be "In your opinion, which client meets the criterias I stated above?". Thank you.

February 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I'm moving this to Community Chat. Should generate interesting discussion there.

February 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks. I'm a newbie in this forum, so I had thought that "Absolute Beginner Talk" would be suitable for this one. :)

February 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
My experience with MSN transports is that it is amazingly unstable most of the time. Lets make people switch to Jabber instead :)

February 7th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Trying to make people switch to Jabber is nice, but what if I have 100+ people in my contact list? We still need some closed IM protocols, until Jabber will become known outside Linux and open-source community, especially become known for people who just can double-click MSN icon on their desktop and don't know anything further about instant messaging.

I suggested some friends using Jabber, but most of them refused, due to lack of any impressive Jabber clients for Windows, I think. (Jabbin and Exodus didn't seem stable to me. For end-users, they also lack some features, but *mostly* they lack the eye-candy of MSN Messenger.)

But those friends would probably accept a Gtalk invitation, although it's a harder process to set up Gtalk than setting up any Jabber client with any server. Weird...

December 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Setting up googletalk is just as easy as any other jabber/xmpp account.
As for eye-candy i dont consider the live messenger to be very easy on the eye, unless you consider commercials eyecandy. Why dont you show them pidgin? Pidgin even has a googletalk account management, so it couldnt be made much easier.

Most of them probably have a gmail address already, and with multi-protocol clients it should be easy to lure them into trying something new.