PDA

View Full Version : Beryl 0.20RC markedly faster than it's previous versions!

Jiraiya_sama
February 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
It's now nearing the useable stage for me (which is no frame rate drops for your information.) The entire programs performance is noticeably better, and a lot of the most common causes for frame rate drops are gone. cpu usage is also down, and hopefully they will soon remove all the bugs for a beautiful desktop experience.

happy-and-lost
February 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Yay! Can't wait to try it out :D

Is it just me, or has Compiz just got less stable?

PartisanEntity
February 5th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Glad to see it is improving, I recently installed Beryl on Dapper (for the first time) and although I liked the eyecandy I deinstalled beryl again because it was so buggy and slowed down the computer in certain cases.

bastiegast
February 5th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I can only say one thing: Great! :KS

The Noble
February 6th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Wow, beryl has really been chugging along lately. I remember about a month ago, it was barely usable and i tried using compiz. Now im actually using the latest version and its been noticeably better. I can't wait for release .2

deadlydeathcone
February 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Yay! Can't wait to try it out :D

Is it just me, or has Compiz just got less stable?

No. If you have them both configured with the same settings they are nearly indistinguishable in terms of performance. The only difference that I've found is that Beryl uses a bit more memory due to changes in the core made to facilitate the blur plugin, which is the main reason I use Compiz. It may not seem like much, but I have an imbedded nvidia 6100 that runs into the dreaded "black window bug" when its 64 megs of video are used up.

It's good to hear that Beryl is back up to speed again, though. I tried out the RC1 out of curiosity and was surprised to see it perform so terribly and crash for the very first time that I can remember. I was a bit worried that their drastic changes to the core were perhaps catching up to them.

PartisanEntity
February 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Would the latest Beryl release work on Dapper? :)

adam.tropics
February 6th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Would the latest Beryl release work on Dapper? :)

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu_from_the_SVN_snapshots_rep ository

and

http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php/topic,45451.msg241885.html#msg241885

SunnyRabbiera
February 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I am using beryl now and its surprisingly good on my slightly out of date machine.

Rotarychainsaw
February 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
No. If you have them both configured with the same settings they are nearly indistinguishable in terms of performance. The only difference that I've found is that Beryl uses a bit more memory due to changes in the core made to facilitate the blur plugin, which is the main reason I use Compiz. It may not seem like much, but I have an imbedded nvidia 6100 that runs into the dreaded "black window bug" when its 64 megs of video are used up.

It's good to hear that Beryl is back up to speed again, though. I tried out the RC1 out of curiosity and was surprised to see it perform so terribly and crash for the very first time that I can remember. I was a bit worried that their drastic changes to the core were perhaps catching up to them.
Using compiz makes the blackwindow thing goaway?

moma
February 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Lunapark6 has a good Beryl v0.2.0 (RC) preview.
o--> http://lunapark6.com/?p=2916
Yes. The version 0.2.0 _is_ amazing.

---
PS. I still recommend Code::Blocks IDE for C/C++ programming.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1962696#post1962696

BarfBag
February 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Nice! The performance hogging is the reason I don't use it all the time. I turn it on when I'm bored, and when I'm showing Linux off to Windows users - but that's just about it.

prizrak
February 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
That's interesting to hear but it was always quite fast on Feisty. Me thinks it wasn't Beryl's fault for the slowness in Dapper....