PDA

View Full Version : Your days before switching to Linux

Spr0k3t
February 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I've run into a bit of a road block trying to convince a few friends of mine to try Ubuntu. I've gone to the trouble of making sure their hardware would work by sneaking a live disc and testing their rigs secretly. They all know that I've cut my windows cords completely and have loved the OS (going on 2 weeks now). So what I'd like to get from people here is some firepower I can use.

1. What was that killer app you couldn't live without? What application did you finally find to get around the lack of availability?

2. What was your biggest fear jumping into Linux? Once you were in Linux, how fast was this fear trampled?

3. What was the straw that broke the camels back to make you jump into Linux?

Anyway, here's my answers
1: I do lots of web application development and needed a way that I could write, test, and deploy .NET/Java/PHP/Perl applications. I tried getting Mono working (for another rainy day I spose) and ended up just using a headless Win2K system as a local server to test .NET. Everything else is done locally with a LAMP setup.

2: Compatibility and the learning curve were my biggest fears. After doing some research I found that most of my equipment was out-of-the-box compatible and therefore had nothing to worry about. The big one was learning the new commands and how to generally navigate within the OS. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's coming more fluidly now.

3: For me is was the incessant DRM taking over the systems.

~LoKe
February 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Can't really say I had any troubles making the conversion. Most application alternatives I wanted were installed by default.

mykalreborn
February 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
i guess for most people games would be an issue. and the overall change of design. most people just don't want to try new stuff ;)

runningwithscissors
February 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I've run into a bit of a road block trying to convince a few friends of mine to try Ubuntu. I've gone to the trouble of making sure their hardware would work by sneaking a live disc and testing their rigs secretly.
Don't do that. It's not nice to mess with their machines without permission.

1. What was that killer app you couldn't live without? What application did you finally find to get around the lack of availability?
Never had one. I mainly use my machine to write programs. And it is a hell of a lot easier setting development tools on Linux than on Windows.

2. What was your biggest fear jumping into Linux? Once you were in Linux, how fast was this fear trampled?
There was no fear. ;) I tried it voluntarily back in 1999, because it intrigued me. Alas, I couldn't get my modem to play nicely and had to abandon the effort. Tried it again five years later with Gentoo (those five years were better spent on university education that had little to do with computers) determined to succeed. And I did.

There was no straw or camel's back. They said it was free. It was Unix-like. And it really worked quite well back in 1999. I only had trouble with a modem and that too not because of lack of support for the device, but because I didn't know how to communicate with a serial modem in Linux.

3: For me is was the incessant DRM taking over the systems.
Good to see that people are treating DRM unfavourably.

jclmusic
February 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
for me the killer app is still reason. it's all i ever boot into windows for. shame, really.

SZF2001
February 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Back when I started with Ubuntu, I just needed it to make a humble little computer for my room - to watch DVDs on, write documents for school, etc.

I was using the Gnome setup, and really, it wasn't very hard figuring out where stuff was. Is it really that back for people? Windows has a Start button, Ubuntu distro's have the Applications button. They both basically do the same thing.

And for a long time I just used the "Install/Remove Software" button in the Applications menu. Doesn't seem that hard, really, and I don't get why people even think it should be that hard.

I really, really, really don't get why Windows users can't make the switch because of that reason. It's so easy, even a cave man can do it.

Brainfart
February 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I've run into a bit of a road block trying to convince a few friends of mine to try Ubuntu. I've gone to the trouble of making sure their hardware would work by sneaking a live disc and testing their rigs secretly. They all know that I've cut my windows cords completely and have loved the OS (going on 2 weeks now). So what I'd like to get from people here is some firepower I can use.Just don't be a jerk about it. Silly reason to cause friction with your friends...

1. What was that killer app you couldn't live without? What application did you finally find to get around the lack of availability? Mostly MSFT development tools (VS, MSSQL Server). Still keep Windows for them.

2. What was your biggest fear jumping into Linux? Once you were in Linux, how fast was this fear trampled? FIrst it was that it'd be difficult to use. As soon as I'd first installed Linux, I realized drivers would be a problem. Ended up putting off the whole Linux thing for almost a year because of poor driver support.

Decided it couldn't really be all that bad, and I really wanted a decent SSH client for doing my schoolwork. Just to make things easy on myself, I started off seriously with Gentoo and it's been great. :D Starting to branch out and compare other distros now.

kevinf311
February 4th, 2007, 11:03 PM

When I first switched, it was a game that I liked to play. Now it's a language learning program that only runs in Windows. Also, as a part of that, my Easy Call Desktop does not have Linux drivers for the speakerphone. I plan on writing my own with the help of a friend, though.

That I would have an orphan OS that couldn't do or see anything. This was trampled when I had more functionality off a clean Ubuntu install than I did on a clean XP install (I compared since they took place within hours of each other, it was amazing).

I could say that it was the instability of my XP installation, but it was more boredom than anything else.

RandomJoe
February 5th, 2007, 01:30 AM
They all know that I've cut my windows cords completely and have loved the OS (going on 2 weeks now).
Certainly not long enough to convince most people you really know what you're talking about. I've been using Linux exclusively (at home) for 10 years, and still can't convince most people. So I don't try - I choose Linux, they choose Windows. On occasion someone will try Linux out and I'll help as I can. Otherwise I just limit myself to (humorous, all-in-fun) snide remarks whenever they mention their latest Windows problem! :mrgreen:

I never really had something I was wedded to, but if I had to say something it would be Quicken. Ten years ago there was nothing comparable so I just had to bite the bullet and deal with it. I did eventually find CBB (CheckBookBalancer) that took care of most of my needs, and now use GNUCash.

Fear? None! This was fun! :) Well, maybe screwing up my monitor since at the time you had to roll your own modelines... Nowadays, most people seem to fear the command line - sure, it's a foreign idea to most people weaned on Windows but it isn't like you stand a chance of destroying your hardware like it used to be!

I used both for a while. Actually, when I first started, I had a single computer and would install Linux, use it for a bit, go back to Win. Try again a few months later, lasting a bit longer each time. Eventually it became my primary OS, and I would run Windows on another machine on occasion. Pretty soon, though, I realized I just wasn't doing anything with Windows and I just never bothered to reinstall it again. (Back then I doubt a computer lasted 3-4 months before I reinstalled for one reason or another - or none at all!)

AndyCooll
February 5th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Certainly not long enough to convince most people you really know what you're talking about. I've been using Linux exclusively (at home) for 10 years, and still can't convince most people. So I don't try - I choose Linux, they choose Windows. On occasion someone will try Linux out and I'll help as I can. Otherwise I just limit myself to (humorous, all-in-fun) snide remarks whenever they mention their latest Windows problem!

I agree with this. I'm waiting for Aysiu to say something along the lines of ...leave them alone, forcing people into trying it out ain't gonna work. And in such circumstances there isn't any "killer" app that's going to convert them.

The best promotion tool is others seeing you use Linux and them asking about it ...then you know they're interested. Like RandomJoe, I simply promote Linux in a positive way when given the opportunity. And then when folk want to know more I'll tell them.

:cool:

doobit
February 5th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I agree with this. I'm waiting for Aysiu to say something along the lines of ...leave them alone, forcing people into trying it out ain't gonna work. And in such circumstances there isn't any "killer" app that's going to convert them.

The best promotion tool is others seeing you use Linux and them asking about it ...then you know they're interested. Like RandomJoe, I simply promote Linux in a positive way when given the opportunity. And then when folk want to know more I'll tell them.

:cool:

Good Idea! I already suggested having "FOSS" parties to introduce people you know to Linux and FOSS.

nalmeth
February 5th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I had none. At the time I though windows media player was pretty cool :shock:
Then I discovered Amarok and VLC. I don't know if they would dig VLC, the Skins 2 theme is really nice, but it has some quirks I don't like about it. Kaffeine is a great video player.

Probably that someone would send me a video that didn't work, or brought a DVD over that wouldn't work, or that they gave me a game that wouldn't work.
Probably just embarrassment, but once I understood how codecs worked, I was much more sober about it.

I had no choice. Couldn't afford Windows if I wanted it, had a really crappy rig, and HAD to learn, or not use a computer at all.

Conversion is a tricky subject. PLEASE don't turn it into a religious debate, where you can't hang out with them anymore if they fail to convert.

Take it easy and slow, talk about the benefits you enjoy, just be subtle about it. Don't let it dominate the conversation all the time, talk about it only when it becomes relevant.

Like BrainFart said, don't turn into a jerk if it doesn't work. Who really cares if they don't want to use linux anyway? You could spend the same energy helping people who WANT to use it and your effort would go much further.

There are a lot of people on this forum who are personally interested in Ubuntu, and could use slightly better documentation, or just a helpful tip, to make the conversion complete. Whereas you would constantly be exerting yourself to keep friend a/b or c satisfied, and yet unconvinced.

Your friends are more important than a fixation on an operating system. Don't let Ubuntu get between you and them.
If they know you and respect you in using Ubuntu, they are friends worth keeping.
I have friends who think I'm a total geek because I was showing them Compiz many months ago. They won't talk to me or look at me the same, let alone try linux for themselves.
I have other friends who were amazed and have installed linux themselves with some gentle guidance from myself.

Help those who want help, let those who don't find their own separate way.
I think Stormy Eyes made a fantastic point in this post (especially the last two paragraphs:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1259698&postcount=1

kerry_s
February 5th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Oh good it was so long ago. I was still working for MS, than i started flirting with linux, than the flirting turned into obsession, i started to learn all i could, installing distro after distro. Thank god i can barely remember those days, Oh! the shame. :cry: Why was i forced to start with windows? :( :lolflag:
It would be great if i could find some work with linux that i could get perks like MS use to give. I miss getting new systems and parts/software. Back then i would have never thought i would be running linux on everything MS gave me. You can kind of say they gave me what i needed to feed my linux obsession. :)

SunnyRabbiera
February 5th, 2007, 04:39 AM

well there was no real "killer app" that would have deterred me from linux, though I did want to still use programs like adobie photoshop and microsoft word, but I saw crossover office and i said "well lets see if this works"
and crossover did, now yes i did try WINE but I could not get a hang of it.
I can safely say there is no reall app I miss from windows, i was never a gamer or anything and linux seemed it could handle the demands I have.

Getting used to the enviroment and stuff, I had a really nasty time with my first linux distro.
I started my quest with Suse as it was supposed to be good for beginners, mandriva was out of the question as it wa not availible freely and the other distros were not that high.
Suse was miserable though, i could not install crap on it.
I didnt get it, suse was a total disaster so I kept my dual boot.
The distro that changed me was Mepis 3.3, mepis 3.3 was a wonderful first timer as it picked things up infinately better then Suse.
Mepis slowly got me out of windows, and till this day i am tankful for my experience with mepis as it was easy and smooth.
once i got around the command line and other stuff I suddenly saw how easy linux could be.
after a bit I actually discovered that working Mepis was easier then working windows and here I am with ubuntu another very easy distro great for new users.

The instabilities in XP, that was the thing that got me attracted to linux in the first place.
Now XP worked fairly well for me (and by all accounts I could go back to it if I wanted to) but now with Vista... well i am perma linux now :D

bodycoach2
February 5th, 2007, 04:46 AM
1. Microsoft Reader. Over the years, I've collected over 15,000 ebooks, and I don't really want to lose them. At the moment, other than Adobe Reader, there isn't a good alternative. And, I can't get Wine to work with MS Reader (any help on this would be greatly appreciated).

2. Biggest fear: I hate feeling stupid. Luckily, it was easier than I expected. Much easier. Moreso than OS X, IMO.

3. I had to load it for an Operating Systems class for my IT degree. First distro was Fedora Core 4. I was impressed. I watched Ubuntu's progress, and decided to give it a try. WAY better, and even better than Windows or OS X. My girlfriend uses Ubuntu, and has never opened the terminal. Never, ever. THAT says something about the progress Linux has made.

fuscia
February 5th, 2007, 05:48 AM

none, really. i was already using firefox, tbird, gimp, zinf and gaim.

could not get past the wireless problem. at the time, i was using an old desktop that did not have an ethernet card, so i could only connect to my cable box with a wireless. i didn't have a clue about linux or any of this driver this/driver that stuff.

i just said "f*** it" and jumped. couldn't get my netgear to work, but i found an old linksys thing laying around, tried it and it worked.

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Compatibility and the learning curve were my biggest fears. After doing some research I found that most of my equipment was out-of-the-box compatible and therefore had nothing to worry about. The big one was learning the new commands and how to generally navigate within the OS. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's coming more fluidly now.

I don't know why but the learning curve of learning Linux was actually my motive for trying it in the first place!!! Well I was relatively young and kinda want to see how deep the learning curve really is, I also, I thought it was cool to say to my friends, "I am running Linux now so no more MSN games!!!"