PDA

View Full Version : Pixel32, a secret project by Adobe ?

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
I've sendt a mail to *snip*, the man behind this stuff, I belive.. anyway, here is this e-mail message I've sendt to him:

Subject: Just a question.
Date: Sat, February 3, 2007 8:57 am
To: *snip*

Hi,
I have a question for you. Are you working secretly for adobe ? since they
are just ignoring to port a photoshop client for linux there must be a
reason, and the reason is that pixel32 is coming up for us linux users(?).

Maybe I'm just paranoid but pixel32 have alot of photoshop elements, or
stuff that reminds me alot of photoshop.

Maybe Pixel32 is a on going "Secretly project number 2" going on ?
I dont know, but.. you havent been sued yet for using alot of their elements.

I am a Windows and a Linux user. At my windows machine I'm using
photoshop, Linux, everything else.

When Pixel32 have a good support for Wacom's drawing tablets, and maybe
some more features, I'll maybe buy Pixel32 someday and delete my windows
harddrive to become a 100% linux user.

anyway, thanks for this nice program, and I hope this program can improve
alot before Photoshop CS3 comes out.

I think that projects like The Gimp and this will just fade away in a way,
or not, if there isnt some major features coming up, because I think CS3
is gonna be rock N' roll !

--herrfalcor / blog.digital-brush.org
I am gonna post the reply, if I get any.. maybe I could be wrong, but I tought I should share this with you guys :)

jincast90
February 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Ok.

1. I do not think it's called Pixel32 any more, but just Pixel Image Editor.

2. I don't think your right here. I do not think he has anything to do with Adobe.

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Yeah, but there are many things we dont know about :)

rejser
February 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Kind of wierd since there is a windows version of pixel also. (and a mac-version)
Personally I think that pixel is excellent, but I also belive if Adobe would try to create a linux version of ps they would YELL it out loud to get all linux-users that don't like gimp to line up waving their money!

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
yeah, but something isn't right.. Adobe havent sued him yet because of using alot of their elements.. or ? Maybe I'm just confused.

aeto
February 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
GIMP will remain free and opensource..so it wont just fade away.

slimdog360
February 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
I just tried it then, its not that great. Ive got to say I dont really like the layout, its really weird and hard to use. Certainly not even nearly as good as the new gimp 2.4. At least its being made for linux which is a real plus.

You can get the 2.3.14 .deb of the new gimp from here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311020

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
I've already tested Gimp 2.3.14, it is great - but, I am a Photoshop user and a fan of photoshop because of it's UI Layout :-)

ESPOiG
February 3rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
i agree this seems to be alot like photoshop, ived used photoshop for years and this is the only program that ive every come across that is so close that its amazing

but yeh, wish it was opensource that would make it evenbetter

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Here is an intressing post for you guys:

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104

:)

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
I've got a reply back:

Hi,

thank your for entertaining e-mail. No I'm not working for Adobe, nor
I'm being paid by them. This is my own project since 1997.

I agree Pixel is similar to Photoshop but I don't see this as a reason
for sueing me by Adobe. There are many image editors and some of them
are similar to Photoshop as well, but Adobe isn't sueing them. What
about Photopaint or Paint Shop Pro, or the very similar GIMPshop?

Beside that Adobe cannot sue me, since their patents doesn't apply in
Europe.

In case of any additional questions, feel free to mail me back.

regards,
Pavel Kanzelsberger

at least we've got that cleared up :)

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
I've sendt him another e-mail

Hi,

Thank you for answering me, I really thank you for that.
Now, here is the other thing Iam screaming to you about, I know that you
dont ever want to make Pixel Image editor open sourced, but what if you
could make money out of it, even if you open sourced it - Would you open
source it then ?

I think this is a too much massive project for one man to handle by his
own. You are gonna need a big *** team to get this program as bug free as
possible, pluss add alot of new features.

--herrfalcor / blog.digital-brush.org

I am gonna post the reply when I get it :)

Stealth
February 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Pixel is really cool. I actually bought the program to support the author. Although it's not open-source, I don't blame the guy for releasing some 10 years worth of coding, to get nothing in return. Of course, I bet a bunch of people will donate, but either way, I don't mind. He support so many OS's and the program looks good. Once he releases Beta 7 (which has tablet support) I will really try using it to replace Photoshop...

Though I still wish a team would get going and create a true open-source clone of Photoshop.

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah, but there are many things we dont know about :)

Having read many of your threads, I'm thinking you need to chill out. We (the Linux community) should not meet new software for us with such skepticism. I won't even use the word "excited" to describe you, in fact, I don't know what would. You seem to be a conspiracy theorist, between your posts about the theoretical sudden death of Linus, and now an "Adobe is taking over Linux by proxy" rant.

So, as a member of the Linux community who actually likes to see new software, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from harassing developers about their products in the future. Thanks.

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
Here is the reply I've got:

*snipped with copies retained for reference*

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Here is the reply I've got:

And here is the new mail I've sendt:

I'll post when I get a reply :)

Read. My. Post.

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Read. My. Post.

I've read it - I am just exited as, yeah :) I'll mean no harm, just like to disscus, and share toughts :)

saulgoode
February 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
I hope that you are asking Pavel's permission before posting his responses -- 'tis very discourteous to do otherwise.

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
here is the reply I've got so far:

*snipped with copies retained for reference*

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
I hope that you are asking Pavel's permission before posting his responses -- 'tis very discourteous to do otherwise.

well, I hope he doesnt mind, if so.. I am sorry - Maybe I'll warn him next time :)

EDIT: It is a company e-mail, right ? so, I am not breaking the law right now ? I dont hope so - If not, I am very sorry If I did any harm at him personally as a person

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
It's also very discourteous to physically threaten software developers, and post their email address on public forums where any bot that scans google can find them and spam them.

I just need to ask, how old are you Drfalcor? I sincerely hope that he blocks your email address, you're being very immature and rude.

Kernel Sanders
February 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
drfalkor

Your e-mails to this guy seem rather spammy and offensive. Why dont you stop harassing him? :rolleyes:

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
It's also very discourteous to physically threaten software developers, and post their email address on public forums where any bot that scans google can find them and spam them.

I just need to ask, how old are you Drfalcor? I sincerely hope that he blocks your email address, you're being very immature and rude.

Well, I am just saying what I mean. I am 18, maybe a little unmature, but like I said - It is a company email, so I am not breaking anything - But if I did any harm at him personally as a person, I am very sorry - I just like to share... rude ? well, sorry, nothing else to say but that it was maybe a little bit of rude.

drfalkor
February 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
drfalkor

Your e-mails to this guy seem rather spammy and offensive. Why dont you stop harassing him? :rolleyes:

harassing ? sorry if this is harassing( I dont hope so) I dont see the point of harassing. if it was me, I would be alittle bit proud, but maybe I am just thinking in a wrong way ;)

Adamant1988
February 3rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Well, I am just saying what I mean. I am 18, maybe a little unmature, but like I said - It is a company email, so I am not breaking anything - But if I did any harm at him personally as a person, I am very sorry - I just like to share... rude ? well, sorry, nothing else to say but that it was maybe a little bit of rude.

O.K., well, as you can probably tell I'm 18 as well. But your behavior needs to stop, I actually felt compelled to e-mail Pavel an informal apology on the community's behalf, saying that we don't condone your behavior or the inappropriate use of private emails on public forums.

Kernel Sanders
February 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
harassing ? sorry if this is harassing( I dont hope so) I dont see the point of harassing. if it was me, I would be alittle bit proud, but maybe I am just thinking in a wrong way ;)

Your behaviour has been wholly inappropriate. I have reported this thread in the hope that it gets closed.

These forums should not be used as a platform for this type of behaviour.

PriceChild
February 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
I agree with *John* and am closing this thread.

There is no reason why authors of software should open source their work if it is not in their interests. Please grow up.