View Full Version : Looking for Montreal Ubuntu / Linux guru

February 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I hope I don't get killed for posting this as a first post on this forum. I posted an ad on craiglist looking for a Ubuntu guru in Montreal. (http://montreal.craigslist.org/cps/272681511.html) I know there are a lot of rich ressources online, but I'd like to have a "go-to" actual human being to get me started with my current needs.

My ad says:

Wanted: Ubuntu / Linux guru (Montreal)
Reply to: serv-272681511@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-02-03, 1:56AM EST

I am a semi-computer-litterate 28 years old guy running Ubuntu Dapper on my old cheap laptop since September and I've set up everything so it is all functional, but I would like to become an advanced Ubuntu geek. I don't update my softwares (still on Firefox 1.5) because of the depositories / sources.list headache, I would like to try different environments than Gnome, but I'd really rather have a resident expert human being teach me become proficient myself than go through multiples "For Dummies" books and online FAQs and possibly mess up things.

Let me know if you are interested in helping me, and how much you would charge per hour. Off the top of my head, here are things I'd like to learn:

- Try different environments than Gnome, and be able to switch from basic to cool 3D eye candy
- Install and use new fonts (don't laugh at me)
- Install the best internet connector software (I'm having trouble connecting to my home wifi connexion, I can only use unsecured connexions)
- Try different music-writing / audio editing softwares (I miss Rebirth -- I'm oldskool -- and Reason)
- Become proficient once and for all with the ******* depositories and source.list thing when installing or updating softwares.

And perhaps other cool Linux tricks you may know I can't think of at the moment.

I don't care if you are a 12 years old genius or a 65 years old Unix veteran, if you know your **** and can help me, get in touch.

Thanks a lot!