PDA

View Full Version : Getting nothing but errors when trying to compile C++ program

Scooter7
January 30th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Hi, I'm new to C++ programming and Ubuntu/Linux, and was trying to compile this code from a tutorial:

include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout<<"HEY, you, I'm alive! Oh, and Hello World!\n";
cin.get();

return 1;
}

And I got these errors:

cd '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test' && WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5="1" WANT_AUTOMAKE_1_6="1" make -f Makefile.cvs && mkdir '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/debug' && cd '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/debug' && CXXFLAGS="-O0 -g3" "/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/configure" --enable-debug=full && cd '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/debug' && WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5="1" WANT_AUTOMAKE_1_6="1" make -k
aclocal
make: aclocal: Command not found
make: *** [all] Error 127
*** Exited with status: 2 ***

I have tried compiling this in both KDevelop and gcc, and get the same results. The strange thing is I have successfully compiled that exact code in Windows using Dev-C++ (by the way, is that available for Linux somewhere? On the website (www.bloodshed.net) it says it is, but I can't find it anywhere to download...). Why is this? I'm using Ubuntu 6.10 with both GNOME and KDE. Also, I have tried KDevelop and gcc in both environments with the same (unsuccessful) results.

phossal
January 30th, 2007, 07:25 AM
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout<<"HEY, you, I'm alive! Oh, and Hello World!\n";
std::cin.get();

return 1;
};

[edit] Complied with g++. You need a newline following the main method (in most cases). I removed the name space declaration because (as the experts will tell you) it's usually not a good idea. And I threw in the preceding pound sign for the include statement.

Scooter7
January 30th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Thank you, I tried that code but I got more errors, similar to the earlier ones:

cd '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test' && WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5="1" WANT_AUTOMAKE_1_6="1" make -f Makefile.cvs && mkdir '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/debug' && cd '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/debug' && CXXFLAGS="-O0 -g3" "/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/configure" --enable-debug=full && cd '/home/scooter7/C++_Projects/test/debug' && WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5="1" WANT_AUTOMAKE_1_6="1" make -k
aclocal
make: aclocal: Command not found
make: *** [all] Error 127
*** Exited with status: 2 ***

phossal
January 30th, 2007, 07:31 AM
What command are you using to compile it with:

g++ source.cpp

Scooter7
January 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Sorry, I posted that before I saw your edit.

I was using KDevelop, but I tried that g++ command and got this:

test.cpp:10:3: warning: no newline at end of file

phossal
January 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Right. You need a blank line after the main method.

phossal
January 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
lol I figured you would have that problem, so I bolded it in my first post. And then I was embarrassed because I thought it was stupid. It's a common problem though. ;)

KDevelop is misconfigured, it seems like. I don't know anything about it. I use eclipse and CDT.

Scooter7
January 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Well, thanks for your help. :D

I'll check out Eclipse. And, btw, I'm using the Cprogramming.com tutorials (http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html)... but seeing as I had to make those changes to my code... well, do you think I can use the code from the tutorials in Eclipse without getting those errors, or do I still need the changes?

phossal
January 30th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I'm not one of the resident c, c++ experts. I'm surprised one of them hasn't jumped in yet. Regarding the IDE, if you're just beginning, I think a lot of us would recommend just using gedit, and then running the compiler manually.

Learning an IDE is a big deal on its own, as you know from your experience with KDevelop. Just avoid them for now.

As for compiling your original source, I couldn't at the command line, which is why I changed it. I've never been a fan of online tutorials, though. I learn best from books.

Scooter7
January 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Well, thanks again for your help.

This is really odd, I tried using gedit with the exact same code that you changed for me (except without the changes), and comiled it with g++ perfectly! O_o

phossal
January 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Interesting. Technically, it should work. I'm not sure why the problems on my end. I'm glad you're up and running. Good luck.
ps. Keep your eye out for Wybiral, jblerun, et. al. They're the guys who seem to really enjoy the minutia of the c languages.

hod139
January 31st, 2007, 12:42 AM
The errors are because KDevelop is trying to use automake to build the project, and not g++ directly as phossal showed. Automake is part of autoconf (http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/), which is a way to automate source code distributions. For a single file this is super overkill, and my guess is that you can probably tell KDevelop not to use the autotools but instead to use g++ directly.