PDA

View Full Version : Internet Accountability Software

bsalt
January 29th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Hey, I am looking to get a program that does not quite focus on internet filtering (especially through a proxy - like dansguardian), but rather a program similar to X3Watch.com or CovenenantEyes.com that reports internet usage to a friend's email address for accountability purposes.

Is there such a thing? I found Accountability Partner, but I could not successfully install it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

danoyoto
February 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
I haven't found anything either. I do like the fact that CE has DansGuardian preinstalled but I really want to have an accountability app. Let me know if you find anything.

thanks.

djuse
March 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I tried installing Covenant Eyes recently and was dissappointed that it is not compatible with my Anti-Virus program NOD 32. I used to use x3 as my accountability software but was told that it is not very reliable. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for me?

Is x3 pro a better program than the free version? Will it be compatible with NOD 32?

What other software is out there that I could try?

Thanks,

Elif Tymes
March 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well, we're working on fixing Nod32. It's one of the few remaining applications that is incompatible with Covenant Eyes...

The problem with Nod32 is it's "intrusive" with how it interacts with the network. It sets itself up as primary gateway, and shoves everything else out of the system, which with Covenant Eyes installed causes them to fight. Windows networking code is... poor... compared to other OSes, which means that when the two of them fight, if there's no clear winner the system will behave... sporadically ;). Basically system hangs, etc.

Right now we're trying to figure out the best way to make the fight for the network control never happen....

I tried installing Covenant Eyes recently and was dissappointed that it is not compatible with my Anti-Virus program NOD 32. I used to use x3 as my accountability software but was told that it is not very reliable. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for me?

Is x3 pro a better program than the free version? Will it be compatible with NOD 32?

What other software is out there that I could try?

Thanks,

internetaccountability
September 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I am the maker of this software.

http://www.internetaccountability.com

I charge a nominal fee per year.

Alex

xilix
September 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I am the maker of this software.

http://www.internetaccountability.com

I charge a nominal fee per year.

Alex

Is your software easy to install under ubuntu?

internetaccountability
September 4th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Is your software easy to install under ubuntu?

I have created a simple install package.

You have 1 week for FREE trial so try it out and see.

Thanks

Alex

xilix
September 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
... when I click on "Download Program" just a new page opens, but I can find no package.

internetaccountability
September 4th, 2007, 08:28 PM
The download page that opens is locating the setup file. Please let it find it and then it will prompt you to Save to your computer. Depending on your connection speed, it may take longer than you expect.

Thanks

Alex

xilix
September 4th, 2007, 09:51 PM
The download page that opens is locating the setup file. Please let it find it and then it will prompt you to Save to your computer. Depending on your connection speed, it may take longer than you expect.

Thanks

Alex

I have a very fast connection. There seems to be a problem. I tried Firefox and Opera. JavaScript is enabled... no promt.

I would like to test it, but ...

internetaccountability
September 5th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I have a very fast connection. There seems to be a problem. I tried Firefox and Opera. JavaScript is enabled... no promt.

I would like to test it, but ...

My program only works with IE. Try downloading with IE instead.

xilix
September 5th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Sorry, but that's no alternative for me...

clmorg01
September 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM

:confused: So, how would this work on Ubuntu? Do you download on a windows machine then copy over to a Ubuntu box?

Cryophallion
September 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM
This will NOT work with Ubuntu.

See this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=356118 for a discussion of it. There are a couple of links for things that may help you for now, while people are working on some solution (There was one person who was working on this a little while back, but I haven't seen any recent updates from them).

mhancoc7
September 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM

Just curious, but you do know that this is an Ubuntu Linux forum right? :D

Jereme

internetaccountability
September 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Just curious, but you do know that this is an Ubuntu Linux forum right? :D

Jereme

Not until AFTER the first post I created in this thread.

mhancoc7
September 7th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Not until AFTER the first post I created in this thread.

Oh, OK.

Jereme

Elif Tymes
September 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hey, I am looking to get a program that does not quite focus on internet filtering (especially through a proxy - like dansguardian), but rather a program similar to X3Watch.com or CovenenantEyes.com that reports internet usage to a friend's email address for accountability purposes.

Is there such a thing? I found Accountability Partner, but I could not successfully install it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Just so you know, I'm still on the quest to get something working with the Covenant Eyes application. The problem is I am not a systems programmer, merely a web developer...

If you know of any software which generates a list of url's... But... Heh, my experience falls short :(

clmorg01
September 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Just so you know, I'm still on the quest to get something working with the Covenant Eyes application. The problem is I am not a systems programmer, merely a web developer...

If you know of any software which generates a list of url's... But... Heh, my experience falls short :(

I've avoided linux for several years because of this issue but I've been getting the linux itch again. So, that's why I've only installed ubuntu on a laptop with no internet connection so far. I've been looking for a solution as well. I came across the dsniff package which has a program called urlsnarf. Urlsnarf produces a log (a very detailed and verbose log) of all url access. I was bouncing around the idea in my own head of possibly producing an interface to make use of this log. Possibly, include features that make sure the program is running and if not then include alerts to that effect.

Elif Tymes
September 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I've avoided linux for several years because of this issue but I've been getting the linux itch again. So, that's why I've only installed ubuntu on a laptop with no internet connection so far. I've been looking for a solution as well. I came across the dsniff package which has a program called urlsnarf. Urlsnarf produces a log (a very detailed and verbose log) of all url access. I was bouncing around the idea in my own head of possibly producing an interface to make use of this log. Possibly, include features that make sure the program is running and if not then include alerts to that effect.

Hmm, that looks promising... Unfortunately it seems to be a bugger getting working on wireless cards...

Hmmm...

Will look into that more tonight after work.

mssever
September 12th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I've been looking for a solution as well. I came across the dsniff package which has a program called urlsnarf. Urlsnarf produces a log (a very detailed and verbose log) of all url access. I was bouncing around the idea in my own head of possibly producing an interface to make use of this log. Possibly, include features that make sure the program is running and if not then include alerts to that effect.

I'm considering this option, too. Perhaps we can collaborate on this...

I'm working on a basic proof of concept right now. I'll post it when it's ready.

mssever
September 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM
OK. Here's the first part of the program. It has a few dependencies (all in the universe):

sudo aptitude install ruby dsniff libdaemonize-rubyThis part is the daemon that captures and logs the URLs to a YAML file in the background.

Still to be done (in no particular order):
Write the program that reads the logs and either e-mails it directly or (perhaps better) hands off the data to a still-to-be-written web service which does the mailing.
Add some configuration options
Add a GUI (Note: The GUI needs to be in a process of its own, rather than tacked on to the existing program.)
Make the program send out notifications if it is disabled or its files are tampered with
Package it up into a .deb
Daemon control scripts
Anything else?This is an extremely early version of the program. It isn't yet usable for real accountability. What's needed now are testers. Also, if you're a programmer, feel free to contribute. (I prefer code written in either Ruby or Python.)

clmorg01
September 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I've been programming in Basic on an OpenVMS system for the past five years. I was thinking about this project as way for me to learn python and to get my feet wet with OOP again. My skills are starting to get rusty from college.

So, I would love to at least test and contribute code where I can. Just don't expect any feats of programming magic from me. :-P

xilix
September 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I would like to contribute by testing the software, but I need a few instructions ...

mssever
September 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I've moved this project to its own thread. Here it is: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=550287

It is a major improvement over what I've posted in this thread.

@xilix: Hopefully the instructions there are sufficient. If not, then just ask (in that thread).

xilix
September 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Thank you. Thats great.