October 12th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Oh, sorry! I didn't know.
Thanks.

ubuntu-geek
October 13th, 2006, 12:07 AM
np :) thanks for letting us know

thayerw
October 25th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Is it just me or did I miss a sticky post somewhere about the forum search function not working? It doesn't seem to matter what I search for, everything results in "Sorry, no matches found."

ubuntu-geek
October 25th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Working for me.. are you still having issues?

thayerw
October 25th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Actually, no. LOL

As soon as I posted the above message I went back to the Installations & Upgrades forum and voila! the searches were working fine. Odd though, that the previous 20-some searches returned no matches.

dcherryholmes
October 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM
While not broken per se, and totally anecdotal, it seems like every forum search I make these days returns no results. At first I figured I was searching for too obscure stuff, but after so many zero hit searches I'm beginning to wonder if the database was wiped, chopped down in size, or something. Anyone have any info?

ubuntu-geek
October 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM
What are you searching for?

mips
October 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Which search are you using ?

The search in the very top right corner does not seem to work as it only gave me one result for "ipconfig /all"

The search in between 'New Posts' and 'Quick Links' returns lots of results.

I dunno if the two search functions are suppose to differ by design or maybe the top one is broken.

ubuntu-geek
October 26th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Which search are you using ?

The search in the very top right corner does not seem to work as it only gave me one result for "ipconfig /all"

The search in between 'New Posts' and 'Quick Links' returns lots of results.

I dunno if the two search functions are suppose to differ by design or maybe the top one is broken.
Top one is broken it seems.

dcherryholmes
October 26th, 2006, 08:10 PM
What are you searching for?

Well, for example, just now I searched on "2.6.18". Zero results.

To the other posters, I've tended to use the lower center search, FWIW. Why should there even be two, and why are they different? Seems like bad design.

adamkane
November 13th, 2006, 02:19 AM
To all the fabulous forum staff who've made UF.org the greatest computing help site ever,

The new tag-based search function has made order out of chaos, and this is a wonderously good thing. I hope you keep it up, and show all those others out there how a forum is managed.

The new tag-based system is fine for me, since I know what I'm looking for. The problem is for the newbie. What are they to do when their search produces no results?

Why not institute a tag-based search, and also a full-text search, and make it obvious which is which?

The forum is great, but now you've crippled it for the very people that you are responsible for helping and inspiring.

Bagboy23
November 15th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Is it me or does the search function on the forum not work well? I know there are posts matching my search criteria, but it does not find anything. Have to resort to Google indexing rather that the forum to find anything.

frodon
November 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Be sure to perform a search within entire post and to use words with more than 3 letters.

earobinson
November 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
What are you searching for, how about an example?

aysiu
November 15th, 2006, 05:49 PM
The forum searches being "broken" seems to be a recurring problem.

Most of the time, they work fine for me, but when they don't, I just do a Google search of this nature:
site:ubuntuforums.org name of problem

ubuntu-geek
November 16th, 2006, 01:38 AM
When we switched our indexing engine we also switched to a fulltext search. Consult the URL below.

http://ubuntuforums.org/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_booleansearching

adamkane
November 17th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Boolean. Cool. I can get used to that.

"Avoid under 3-letter word searching" is a bit patronizing.

Again execellent job organizing the site. I can't even fathom how you did it. You guys must have a lot of free time ;)

mssever
November 27th, 2006, 03:04 AM
I noticed a bug in the forum search feature while looking for threads relevant to a problem I was trying to help with. If you search for 1.0.0.0 (an IP address that apt-get sometimes attempts to use), you get no results, despite the fact that there are many threads that contain that string. Here's just one example: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1808273#post1808273

aysiu
November 27th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Do you know if it's ever worked? Is it a recent thing, or the forum search has never returned results for IP addresses?

mssever
November 27th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Do you know if it's ever worked? Is it a recent thing, or the forum search has never returned results for IP addresses?

Dunno. I've never tried that search before.

ubuntu-geek
November 27th, 2006, 04:10 AM
From some initial testing it doesn't work.. This includes a standard vb search as well.. So i don't think it ever has.. I will research more.

vjones777
December 31st, 2006, 07:20 AM
I've had a lot of trouble searching the forums for answers to various questions. I've not given up on it, but I find myself reverting to basic google searches of the web. :(
The main problem I've had is that the searches often return many results not related to the topic - I think that's because the searches return hits on ANY word.

The advanced search doesn't allow you to change this - I would have expected the option to select between an 'AND' (all words) or 'OR' (any matching word) search. Even putting the search term inside quotes (double quotes anyway - I havn't tried single quotation marks) doesn't force an AND search (nor a phrase search).
Ideally we could mix word and phrase searches, at least in the advanced search. :D

It seems that the searches are also inconsistant according to this post: "New search beta test" (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=270220). That seems to be bourne out in practice - the search box in the extreme top right of the forums seems to give an AND search on all of the Ubuntu forum, while the drop down search in the grey bar below that, and the advanced searches seems to work on OR search.

Let me say thanks VERY much to Ubuntu-geek and all others involved for all your work.
I don't mean to gripe - any search really helps make the forum useful - its just that search is so useful, problems with it really affect useability.

If its going to take a while to make any changes to the search, perhaps for now a quick note could be added to the advanced search noting which search gives the AND and OR results. I also read a suggestion that google has a site: option which could be used to search the forum. That hadn't ocurred to me - perhaps that suggestion could also be added.
TIA.

po0f
December 31st, 2006, 07:58 AM
vjones777,

You can use Google to search just ubuntuforums.org, just include the string (without quotation marks) "site:ubuntuforums.org" in your search.

ubuntu-geek
January 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
The forum has full boolean search functions. I have updated some more search functionality today. Please refer to this page for options. http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php

Southway
January 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I see on your advanced search page that it has and, or, phrase options, but it doesn't say how to use them. I did find that by clicking the little dot next to the option highlights it (if that's how you turn the option on, it's not very intuitive). I tried doing that with the phrase option, but it didn't work. The results I got were for any of the words (or).This is the only place I've seen that enclosing the search phrase in quotes did not search for the phrase only.

](*,)

weaver4
January 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM
How do you do an advanced search for a Phrase? On the advanced search page it says it will do a search like this but does not give an example. I try quotes but it does not work. What I am looking for is "Default Gateway Device"

lyceum
January 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Don't put in the quotes, and you would just have to look at all the results. I woud try having it jsut look at titles.

dannyboy79
January 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM
what exaclty are you trying to figure out? maybe you're using the wrong words for what you want to know!?!?! you should have also included your querstions and maybe others couldv'e pointed you in the correct direction.

Pobega
January 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Click search at the top, and choose "Advanced Search". You can do a titles only search, and you can also choose which section of the forum you'd like to search in.

Johan!
January 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Try Google, it's your friend:D
Search with these words:

site:ubuntuforums.org "Default Gateway Device"

When you search with google, there's no time limit for the searches, and you don't put extra stress on the ubuntuforums server.

JamieC
January 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Try Google, it's your friend:D
Search with these words:

site:ubuntuforums.org "Default Gateway Device"

When you search with google, there's no time limit for the searches, and you don't put extra stress on the ubuntuforums server.

On the other hand, you're limiting your results to those which have been indexed. More recent posts will probably not be displayed.

weaver4
January 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
On the Advanced Search Page (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php) in the section on "Using Search" (bottom left corner) it says

"Phrase - search for the complete phrase you type in"

If you just put in the words "Default Gateway Device" thousands of forum post show up where these words are scattered through the post. None of them is what I was looking for.

So I just want to know how to implement this "Phrase search" feature.

dannyboy79
January 24th, 2007, 10:03 PM
well I am sorry to say that if you are going through what you have explained than that's it! so again, if you want help, you might want to let us know what you are trying to do and we can maybe help you or you can start reading every thread to get your answer it's up to you.

ardchoille42
January 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM
On the Advanced Search Page (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.php) in the section on "Using Search" (bottom left corner) it says

"Phrase - search for the complete phrase you type in"

If you just put in the words "Default Gateway Device" thousands of forum post show up where these words are scattered through the post. None of them is what I was looking for.

So I just want to know how to implement this "Phrase search" feature.

I see what you mean. It says you can search for a phrase but it doesn't give you info on how to search for a phrase. Maybe a bug in the forum software?

weaver4
January 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Exactly, it says you can search for a phrase but it does not tell you how to search for a phrase. Normally you would use quotes, but that does not work on this forum.

For example when I search for "Default Gateway Device" the three words for it are so generic that the search results show up everywhere. But the phrase wouldn't.

To be specific, my system does not remember the "Default Gateway Device" setting from the System->Administation->Networking dialog; so I wanted to find out what configuration file I needed to modify and what I needed to put in it.

psi36
February 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
None has answered the question yet: is it possible to search a phrase?

I've had the same problem. Sometimes you just need to find a certain phrase and the results you get from searching for word A and word B, in staid of "A B" are to general.

If you can't search for a phrase, it shouldn't say so on the advanced search. If it is possible to search for a phrase it clearly is a well kept secret, since there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows how.

BTW: I wan to search for "Audiophile USB", but now I get results for al the different Audiophile sound cards, which isn't what I want.

kelbizzle
February 18th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Just curious if anyone ever figured it out? I'm trying to do a search for "nx server" I don't want it to search for the sperate words.

aysiu
February 18th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I've moved this to a more appropriate forum.

As someone else pointed out earlier, the way to do this is through a Google search, this one in particular (http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Aubuntuforums.org+%22Default+Gateway+Devic e%22&btnG=Search).

And while you do have to wait for Google to index the most recent threads, you also have to wait for the Ubuntu Forums to index its most recent threads as well. If a thread on default gateway devices is less than a day old, it's very unlikely to have already found a solution.

Use Google.

kelbizzle
February 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Yea...Google isn't my first choice when searching a forums site I already have open. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an advanced search. and telling folks "Our search system has a number of options" when in reality it doesn't. If your saying that there no way in the world to do it and google is my only choice. The I guess I have to use google. But if you know of a way to use the advanced search like it says it can be used. Could you inform us please?

Steveire
February 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I imagine the problem is that 'nx' is too short a 'word'. Some search facilities only allow you to search for words of four characters or more.

psi36
February 18th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I imagine the problem is that 'nx' is too short a 'word'. Some search facilities only allow you to search for words of four characters or more.

That's not the problem, it doesn't work with longer words either. For example: try searching the phrase "with longer words" including the quotes and you'll see what I mean. There just isn't any phrase search on this forum, so the advanced search shouldn't say there is!

aysiu
February 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I may be wrong, but I think you search for a phrase by not putting it in quotation marks. Can you try default gateway device in the advanced search without putting the phrase in quotation marks? I just tried that and came up with a bunch of results with that phrase in that order.

mips
February 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I may be wrong, but I think you search for a phrase by not putting it in quotation marks. Can you try default gateway device in the advanced search without putting the phrase in quotation marks? I just tried that and came up with a bunch of results with that phrase in that order.

That does not work. It brings up posts which contain all those words but not really as a phrase.

Apparently there is a "match phrase" search parameter but I have no clue as to how you use it.

veloce
February 18th, 2007, 11:45 PM
And somewhere along the line someone has changed the default search from "any" to "all". Again, it says you can do a search for "any" or "all" words, but no instructions!

PriceChild
February 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
And somewhere along the line someone has changed the default search from "any" to "all". Again, it says you can do a search for "any" or "all" words, but no instructions!It does both automagically.

veloce
February 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
It only ever does "and" for me. I'm trying to build up a search for a number of keywords and want an "or" but always get "and" behaviour.

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, but what I've had to work out so far seems to be of value to people so I'm trying to find unanswered posts in my few areas of expertise. Rather than run five searches, I'd like to create one that I can run daily. So I want to search for:

intel "screen resolution" dual vmware "canon printer"

An "and" results in no hits and I can't make it do an "or" (automagically or otherwise! :) )

veloce
February 21st, 2007, 04:30 AM
And how about this advanced search:

I typed in "screen OR resolution OR vmware OR (canon AND printer) "

It cam back with a description of the search:

Search: Key Word(s): screen OR resolution OR vmware OR (canon OR printer)

(automagically changing my AND to an OR)

And the result was one (1) hit - my last message where I used all of those terms! (So it automagically actually searched using ANDs.

:confused:

thug007
February 27th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Where is information on searching the Forums using advanced features?

I want to search the Desktop Environment for the phrase "magnetic tape" (say).

How do I do this please?

STREETURCHINE
February 27th, 2007, 04:01 AM
use the search option near the top of the page, or search this forum option

Prognatus
February 28th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I try to search for my own posts (to find out if there has been any replies), by using my nick as search word, but it doesn't work. I find two old posts but not all of them. Is this a bug or feature? :)

aysiu
February 28th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I try to search for my own posts (to find out if there has been any replies), by using my nick as search word, but it doesn't work. I find two old posts but not all of them. Is this a bug or feature? :)
You can search your own threads by clicking on Search and then Find All Your Threads

I believe this is the default, but if not you can change it in your User CP: the forum also has the ability to subscribe you to any thread you post in. If you click on User CP, you should see a list of any updated subscribed threads.

veloce
February 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Where is information on searching the Forums using advanced features?

I want to search the Desktop Environment for the phrase "magnetic tape" (say).

How do I do this please?

But you won't get a phrase search, it will be a search for "magnetic" and "tape".

aysiu
February 28th, 2007, 11:40 PM
But you won't get a phrase search, it will be a search for "magnetic" and "tape".
In the meantime, we have this (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Aubuntuforums.org+%22magnetic+tape%22&btnG=Google+Search).

Prognatus
March 4th, 2007, 04:12 AM
You can search your own threads by clicking on Search and then Find All Your Threads

I believe this is the default, but if not you can change it in your User CP: the forum also has the ability to subscribe you to any thread you post in. If you click on User CP, you should see a list of any updated subscribed threads.
Thanks, aysui. I had overlooked that in the drop down search menu (I knew about the subscription option though). The Find All Your Posts search lists them in a format that takes a lot of space and Find All Your Threads list only those who I've started myself, which isn't exactly what I wanted.

But I found what I wanted in the advanced search dialog: Find Posts by User and filling in my nick. Then all threads I've posted in is listed in a readable format. :)

However, this option isn't always visible on the search dialog... If I select it from the last entry in the Search menu, I don't get this option, but if I right-click on the header text in the same Search menu and select Open Link in New Tab (in Firefox), it's visible in the search dialog that appears.

May I suggest a minor change of the search menu, to make it more intuitive and useful:

Find All Threads Started by You
Display All Your Posts
List All Your Posts <-- new item - functions as Find Posts by User

MoebusNet
March 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Moderators: How can I find out how to properly use the "Forum Search" fuctions? For example, when I want to search for "Documents To Go" as a single search term, the forum disregards the quotation marks and searches for "documents"+"to"+"go". I searched the forum for "forum search" but found nothing. While I realize there are probably commonly accepted methods to define search terms, there _are_ those of us who do this infrequently enough to need a reminder if not outright instruction.

A "How to use the forum search" thread or link would be helpful to me and I suspect others as well. Please give this some consideration. Thank you.

jhenager
March 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
There's some good help under Advanced Search...

Using search
Our search system has a number of options:

* All Words - search all words you list in the search box
* Any Words - search for any of the words in the search box
* Phrase - search for the complete phrase you type in
* Boolean - advanced option allows:
* wordA !wordB (ie word A but NOT Word B in article)
* wordA (wordB wordC) (ie word A and (Word B and Word C) in article)
* wordA | (wordB wordC) (ie word A OR (Word B and Word C) in article)
* Boolean commands supported are:
| - equivalent to OR
! - equivalent to NOT (also - )
( ) - subquery allows you to group queries
& - equivalent to AND - note ANDs are implicit generally not needed

aysiu
March 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
This problem has a long history, and I've merged your thread with the other one on this topic for continuity's sake. Maybe reading the previous posts might help you get a good workaround.

MoebusNet
March 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Tahnks for the quick reply!