PDA

View Full Version : Selling Ubuntu in SuperMarket

Acordero
May 14th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Is it right ?
I got 25 Ubuntu 4.10 CD's, my brother in law works in a very big SuperMarket and after seeing Ubuntu he told me that he can sell them in the SuperMarket.
Thousands of people goes in this SuperMarket and Ubuntu would become a "commodity".
Is it right to sell them there ?
How much per Ubuntu CD ?
I had to pay US$ 100.00 in taxes to take them out of the customs.

Thank you

ubuntu_demon
May 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I would say there's nothing wrong with covering expenses. But making money on free cd's is lame.

If a supermarket would want to sell ubuntu cd's with the goal of making money I think they would have to have some sort of support service.

xmastree
May 14th, 2005, 09:47 AM
There should be another option:

Yes, but only to cover the cost of duplicating them.

(and it's 'price' not 'prize'...)

I had to pay US$ 100.00 in taxes to take them out of the customs. :shock: $100? :shock:

I paid P30 to get mine... That's about US$0.50 :)

ankitmalik
May 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM
$100...that makes it $4 per CD ? OMG! You must have downloaded one CD from somewhere and made 25 Copies...that must have been way cheaper...

panickedthumb
May 14th, 2005, 11:32 AM
$100...that makes it $4 per CD ? OMG! You must have downloaded one CD from somewhere and made 25 Copies...that must have been way cheaper...
seriously, is that $100 USD? That's quite crazy. Where do you live?

Kimm
May 14th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I had to pay 0.0 krowns to get them out... thats 0.0 USD :razz:

kvidell
May 14th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I was actually thinking about something similar.
There'd be no problem if I pressed my own Ubuntu CDs and sold them at the store I'll be working with doing webdev and gave the money to UbuntuLinux.org and Ubuntuforums would there?
I wanna help out however I can, and since I'm not much of a software dev, I'm pretty much limited to small cash donations and helping out around here.
- Kev

jobezone
May 14th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Since this option is missing from the poll, I will vote it here:

- Yes

WildTangent
May 14th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I paid a whopping R25 ($4.10) for my 200 Ubuntu discs!
theyll send you 200 at a time?!! \\:D/

-Wild

kvidell
May 15th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Ubuntu sends us free discs and we in turn make money out of the same free discs? There should be a law against that sort of thing!I never said I'd keep any of the money I made from selling them. By no means did I intend to. Infact I said I'd give it all to the different Ubuntu groups :-P
If anything I'd just keep the cost of the blank cds which I think the store gets for pennies.
- Kev

jobezone
May 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Any person who sells ubuntu CD's on a supermarket, or any other linux distribution, is OK to me. It's not only OK, it's great, and a great oportunity to distribute more free software and linux.
How many times have you been in a store with linux being sold there? And when you do see it, when is the distribution recent, as in, released less than a year? One of the few Big computer stores here in Portugal which has linux to sell, includes outdated distributions, usually 1 major point release behind what is current. I would think that anyone willing to take the time to distribute ubuntu in a supermarket (or store), being compensated or not, would be well received and apreciated in these forums.

So, to repeat my earlier point, i would vote for : "YES, you CAN sell, you SHOULD sell, you HAVE to sell ubuntu!" :)
Actually, in a stricter sense, distribute with a fee!
The more it sells like hot cakes, the better, and contrary to proprietary software, the buyer won't be loosing any of the rights that GPL and other free software licenses give users, which is, to use, modify, and redistribute the software (with or without modifications).

Arthemys
May 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
There's a small reason behind a physical store always being behind a version or two in their distro collection.

No one's bought them.
If the product has not sold, the store cannot just throw it away and buy more copies to be updated. (With the exception of franchises and chains)

I honestly think it's a great idea to sell the discs for a small fee to cover production and donation, but at a supermarket? Correct me if I'm wrong, but supermarkets out here are; Shaws, Price Chopper, etc... Sold with food products? I hope I'm wrong but, damn.

IMHO, there should be several types of cost involved with the sale of a Linux Distro, some required, some optional as they're just suggestions.

Production of media
Donation back to parent party
Support (Optional if you do provide it)
Minimal Documentation (Optional, probably just for install and basic get up and go)

weekend warrior
May 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
From the Free Software Foundation http://www.fsf.org

You may have paid money to get copies of free software, or you may have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom to copy and change the software, even to sell copies.

Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible -- just enough to cover the cost.

Actually we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can. If this seems surprising to you, please read on.
read on >>> (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/selling.html)

jdong
May 22nd, 2005, 10:08 PM
I think it's perfectly ethical to resell Ubuntu CD's. Some people would rather buy them from a store (convenience, lack of bandwidth, lack of a cd burner, etc).

Whether or not you provide support is your own choice, but whichever way you go, make it clear to the buyer!

GuitarGuru
May 25th, 2005, 11:34 PM
i dont see how people are stupid enough to buy cds that are free:P

jdong
May 25th, 2005, 11:40 PM
i dont see how people are stupid enough to buy cds that are free:P

It takes a couple decades to ship? I ordered my Warty CD's in anticipation of many robotics competitions before January, and that didn't work out. By the time I got them, it was time to start promoting Hoary.

primeirocrime
May 26th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I think the only way that I find reasonable to sell this "free cd's" is if it's suplied with a manual and some kind of booklet with links to here, ubuntu guide, backports. the booklet would also have the ubuntu manifesto. I downloaded my Hoary and the cd's I have got from ubuntu are just for spreading and informing people I know about linux, and although I'm not really versed in computers I'm offering some kind of support to the people i give the cd's to, eventually they will drop here. But with some small guide in a tangible form people would be more compeled I guess.

I wouldn't mind buying a ubuntu manual with 650 pages and color pics, would indeed pay more than 50 for it. C'mon ubuntu is best thing that happened to me computer wise [ok ok that and my first Zx Spectrum]

wbeck85
May 26th, 2005, 06:54 AM
When you say, "in a SuperMarket" do you mean having copies on the shelves being sold through the supermarket; or do you mean sitting by the entrance with a little table and cashbox, catching everyone before they enter the store?

I think it's unethical to profit off of the work of others. That would be stealing. So if the store were to start burning and packaging and selling copies, withought Canonical's permission, that would be wrong. Likewise, If I were to do the same, it would be wrong. I suppose asking for a quarter to cover the cost of the media wouldn't hurt though. In that case, you are essentially selling them the plastic disk, with 600 megs of free stuff.... sorta. What would be totally bogus, however, would be to order a substantial shipment of official ubuntu disks from Canonical and sell them on the streets for profit.

panickedthumb
May 26th, 2005, 11:16 PM
"So if the store were to start burning and packaging and selling copies, withought Canonical's permission, that would be wrong."

They have Canonical's permission. It's called the GPL :) When Canonical released ubuntu under the GPL, they have to also permit anyone to sell their product.

jdong
May 26th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I think it's unethical to profit off of the work of others. That would be stealing. So if the store were to start burning and packaging and selling copies, withought Canonical's permission, that would be wrong. Likewise, If I were to do the same, it would be wrong. I suppose asking for a quarter to cover the cost of the media wouldn't hurt though. In that case, you are essentially selling them the plastic disk, with 600 megs of free stuff.... sorta. What would be totally bogus, however, would be to order a substantial shipment of official ubuntu disks from Canonical and sell them on the streets for profit.

Hmm, well, sadly, this is one of those commercial software vendors' propaganda.

The GPL does give you permission to redistribute software licensed to you via the GPL, provided it's still done under the terms of the GPL. Read this interesting license -- you'll better understand. Ubuntu is licensed under the GPL :)

nocturn
May 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
The GPL, under which Ubuntu is licensed, explicitly permits and even encourages this.
In addition, putting pressed CD's with cover and everything on display in a store helps public exposure of Linux, which is good.

I'd say, go for it!

allforcarrie
June 3rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
selling with an disk of updates would be a great Idea.....

N'Jal
June 3rd, 2005, 01:14 PM
Um i started creating a small booklet for those new to Linux to read before they install Ubuntu, much akin to the manual i got with my boxed SuSE 9.1. If people are interested i am more than willing to just let everyone have copies of this manual but i first need a screen shot of every step of the installation, preferable an English install. As i think that a manual will make ubuntu look a lil bit more professional.

What do you guys think?

Link Me (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35359)

weekend warrior
June 3rd, 2005, 09:21 PM
here you go (http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=305&slide=1) N'Jal. Let us know how it comes along.

HTH

N'Jal
June 3rd, 2005, 11:36 PM
WOW thank's for that! I will keep you all posted, i'll upload it for viewing so if anyone thinks my comical approach just don't work i can change it.

christooss
June 3rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
WOW thank's for that! I will keep you all posted, i'll upload it for viewing so if anyone thinks my comical approach just don't work i can change it.
I choose No thats a sin. But... If you sell Ubuntu CDs it shold be with ubuntuguide Add-on CD.

int
July 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Is legal to sell CD's that we have from http://shipit.ubuntu.com?

I think no...