PDA

View Full Version : (Admins)A question for whomever maintains this website

Sweet Spot
January 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I'd really appreciate it if any of the admins, or someone whom maintains this website could contact me with the answer to this question:

I'm also an admin of a fairly popular site, and would like to add the search function which is featured here on my site. Of course we have a basic search tool, with advanced options, but the one here with the drop-down list is just fantastic, and would make life a lot easier for our forum members.

As to why I posed this question here rather than PM'ing someone, I figured that this info might serve others better if it were readily available. I was just about to visit the vB forums to get the answer, but since I frequent this forum, and the feature is used here, I thought it might be just as effective.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

matthew
January 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hi, Doug,

ubuntu-geek is the one who takes care of that stuff. I'll send him a PM to read this thread.

smartbei
January 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Question: Is your site run on vBulletin as well? (I am obviously not on of the admins)

Sweet Spot
January 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Hi, Doug,

ubuntu-geek is the one who takes care of that stuff. I'll send him a PM to read this thread.

Thank you Matthew, I really appreciate it.

Question: Is your site run on vBulletin as well? (I am obviously not on of the admins)

Yes sir/M'am. The very same including version number.

ubuntu-geek
January 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The basic search template we use here are the default vbulletin ones. However, we gutted the backend out (ie. removed the vbulletin search stuff) and we use sphinxsearch.com for most searches.

ubuntu-geek
January 15th, 2007, 10:23 PM
What is your site and i'll take a look. What are you looking to accomplish?

Sweet Spot
January 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
The basic search template we use here are the default vbulletin ones. However, we gutted the backend out (ie. removed the vbulletin search stuff) and we use sphinxsearch.com for most searches.

Thanks Geek, so it's not even a back port extension or mod that Vb uses eh ? I'll have the other admin (the one who messes about with the templates and such) look into getting that done then. Was it pretty easy to accomplish ? I'm wondering because although I'm an admin, we have someone who is much better versed in that particular software, but I'd like to throw my hands in the mix so that I may get ready to start my own site eventually, and knowing this kind of thing would really be useful.

Thanks again,

Doug

If it's ok to link to my site : MisticRiver (http://www.misticriver.net) If you don't want the link here, please feel free to delete it. It's a family oriented site though, no smut or anything. Nor is it a site whose interests parallel those of this ones. (It's a site dedicated to DAP's/ Tech stuff)

To accomplish: Basically, I just really love the search feature that you've integrated into the vB software, and would like the same at my place. Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about: Post at MR (http://misticriver.net/showpost.php?p=534163&postcount=8)

ubuntu-geek
January 15th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Geek, so it's not even a back port extension or mod that Vb uses eh ? I'll have the other admin (the one who messes about with the templates and such) look into getting that done then. Was it pretty easy to accomplish ? I'm wondering because although I'm an admin, we have someone who is much better versed in that particular software, but I'd like to throw my hands in the mix so that I may get ready to eventually start my own site eventually, and knowing this kind of thing would really be useful.

Thanks again,

Doug
Are you talking about the drop down menu with searches by hour, day, your posts etc? If so thats easy and its just a template modification

Sweet Spot
January 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Are you talking about the drop down menu with searches by hour, day, your posts etc? If so thats easy and its just a template modification

Yes sir, I am. Do you think you'd be able to spare the time and give me the necessary info so that I may do it, or perhaps just direct me to the proper place/channels/links for good info ? This would be fantastic, and would make some of our people very happy, including the staff.

I'm also interested in the template which dictates having to enter in information about the topic which a user is going to post about. The one which requires topical words or catch phrases before a thread is started. That makes things so much easier for people who actually use the search feature to its fullest extent.

Thanks a bunch,

Doug

Sweet Spot
January 16th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Update: It looks like our man in charge has implemented this particular search scheme, and it's awesome. Thank you for the help.

Doug