PDA

View Full Version : Feisty Herd2 Alternate CD "No installable kernel"

cbozic
January 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I get the following error during the "Install the base system" part of the alternate install CD:

"No installable kernel was found in the defined APT sources. You may try to continue without a kernel, and manually install your own kernel later. This is only recommended for experts, otherwise you will likely end up with a machine that doesn't boot."

I am installing on a Dell Latitude D820 laptop from the alternate install CD (not an OEM install).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris Bozic

garybrlow
January 15th, 2007, 09:48 PM
MIght be caused by a bad iso image. check the crc/MD5 of your iso image. I use Jigdo to download the image and its ok. Itried bittorent before but i get errors just like that. You can always download and intsall fiesty via repository but its been on maintenance updates right now its said to be ok on teusday or something. :)

Henrik
January 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Or it might be that the daily build you downloaded has a broken kernel. What is the image ID?

darkninja
January 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I'm having the same problem on my Toshiba Tecra A6 using the alternate install.

The disc passed validation, I don't know where to find the image ID but it's the one listed for Herd 2.

I downloaded it through HTTP.

ronacc
January 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM
it is probably NOT your problem , 2.6.19 kernals have problems with ide cd/dvd drives on some mobo/chipset combos. sabayon 3.25/3.26 also with a 2.6.19 kernal also gives this problem , using a sata dvd drive cures the problem.

SqRt7744
January 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Huh, getting the same message here, MD5SUM is fine, burnt the image twice to be sure (once really slowly). Herd 1 worked fine. also, I don't think it's a 2.6.19 kernel problem since Herd2 uses 2.6.20 anyway. The DVD drive in this thing *is* SATA.

Lenovo 3000 N100

Ah well, wait for herd 3 I guess.

cjwatson
January 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
This is https://launchpad.net/bugs/79109, since fixed; Herd 3 will have the fix.