henrikwidth
January 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Test case type: Ubuntu daily build 20070113, Desktop CD i386, auto-resize
Date of testing: 13.01.2007
md5sum confirmed: yes
Pass/Fail: Fail
Bugs identified: #78810
Other comments: got black screen after selecting keyboard layout
testmachine: Dell inspiron8500, 2Ghz, 2GB ram, 80GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce 4200 Go, wireless intel 2200,

rai4shu2
January 13th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Did you try ctrl+alt+f1 then ctrl+alt+f7? That's how I got past that.

moma
January 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Many people has got the same error.
Check this: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/78810

I have tried to debug the installer's (Ubiquity's) code, but it's pretty complicated affair because it uses debconf library and several bash-scripts to deliver data.

henrikwidth
January 13th, 2007, 04:35 PM
The poster of bug #78810 states that he is using the Norwegian layout, this is the same as me.. does anyone using different layouts get the same error?

rai4shu2
January 13th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm using the default US layout here.

henrikwidth
January 13th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Did you try ctrl+alt+f1 then ctrl+alt+f7? That's how I got past that.

Thanks rai4shu2!

This works.

ehm.. got a little exited too soon i think :p

We're sorry; the installer crashed. Please file a new bug report at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+filebug (do not attach your details to any existing bug) and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible. To help the developers understand what went wrong, include the following detail in your bug report, and attach the files /var/log/syslog and /var/log/partman:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 185, in ?
main()
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 180, in main
install(args[0])
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity", line 56, in install
ret = wizard.run()
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 310, in run
self.process_step()
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 867, in process_step
self.process_autopartitioning()
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 922, in process_autopartitioning
choice = self.get_autopartition_choice()[0]
File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 1620, in get_autopartition_choice
raise AssertionError, "no active autopartitioning choice"
AssertionError: no active autopartitioning choice

reported as bug 79091 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/79091

clinteas
January 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I have been unable to boot into any of the isos so far,be it Ubuntu or Kubuntu,Desktop or alternate,Herd 1 or 2,last tried 070113,I cant even get past the first boot screen.
My system is a C2D 6600 on AsUS P5B MoBo,pretty standard these days youd think.
Maybe Mr Shuttleworth should have a good long look at who is spending his money at Ubuntu,how can you publish such rubbish that wont even boot??
Its gotten worse and worse since Dapper,very disappointing.

_Pierre_
January 14th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Test case type: Ubuntu daily build 20070113, Desktop CD i386
Date of testing: 13.01.2007
md5sum confirmed: yes
Pass/Fail: Fail
Bugs identified:
Other comments:
Testmachine: Acer TravelMate 803 LMi (Ati Mobility Radeon 9000)

Didn't boot into gnome
Usplash loader stops at 1/4

I'm also using an updated Herd1 wich also cannot any of the 2.6.20-*-generic kernels
only 2.6.19-7-generic works fine
So I think it's the same problem I have with the daily live cd
Also 2.6.20-4-generic booted once and next boot it became also unbootable

More info on not booting (2.6.20-*) when I switch to VT's on boot the last things on the screen are

udevd[2290]:lookup-group: specified group 'nvram' unknown
udevd-event[2340]: udev_db_add_device: unable to create db file '/dev/.udev/db/class@input@mice :' No such file or directory
udevd-event[2622]: udev_db_add_device: unable to create db file '/dev/.udev/db/class@inupt@inupt1@mouse0' : No such file or directory
udevd-event[3134]:run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

Hope you guys can do anything with this :)
Keep up the great work

pochu
January 14th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I have been unable to boot into any of the isos so far,be it Ubuntu or Kubuntu,Desktop or alternate,Herd 1 or 2,last tried 070113,I cant even get past the first boot screen.
My system is a C2D 6600 on AsUS P5B MoBo,pretty standard these days youd think.
Maybe Mr Shuttleworth should have a good long look at who is spending his money at Ubuntu,how can you publish such rubbish that wont even boot??
Its gotten worse and worse since Dapper,very disappointing.
You are using a very very early alpha software, so things are supposed to break.

If you don't want this to happen, please, don't test them. Go and install Dapper Drake, and wait for the next LTS to upgrade your system. Or if you want, install the stable versions, but don't complain if an alpha software doesn't boot, because things are been developed and in some moments (maybe always) the system can get broken.

I think things are very clear, so don't complain again.

Regards
Pochu

clinteas
January 14th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Im writing this from a working Kubuntu Edgy,and i realize its an alpha release mate !
Btw,im having the exact error messages as _Pierre_above,in case anyone would like to actually check what the problem is.Boot breaks up at "configuring network interfaces" every time,whether from the livecd ur an updated edgy install.
All im saying is for ppl to test a new distro,publish it when it can actually be booted !

Henrik
January 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your testing. As pochu says, Alpha software will very often break. It's inevitable when introducing brand new code.

There are many great sections in the forum for debates about this such as the Feisty dev section (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=179). But this is not one of them. These threads are meant for test results and questions about testing only. Closing thread.