PDA

View Full Version : How much are they worth?

benplaut
May 12th, 2005, 08:24 AM
as a school project (during, not after... my school is awesome :razz: ), we are taking the school's old stock on Win 98 computers, reconfiguring them to run Ubuntu w/ XFCE, and selling them to poorer students. How much do you think they are worth? We aren't providing customer support (just giving them 2 URLs, ubuntu forums and Google :roll: ), so the computers will be set up to have XFce, some GUI config tools, OOo pre2.0 and the current stable, firefox, thunderbird, and some A/V players (not sure what, yet).

they are celeron 500MHz with 128 (or 256, haven't decided yet) with CD drives and 10gb HDDs.

We were thinking $150 for the base system, and $250 to include Wine'd Office XP.

are we 'in the ballpark', or is the price way off?

thanks! :)

panickedthumb
May 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
as a school project (during, not after... my school is awesome :razz: ), we are taking the school's old stock on Win 98 computers, reconfiguring them to run Ubuntu w/ XFCE, and selling them to poorer students. How much do you think they are worth? We aren't providing customer support (just giving them 2 URLs, ubuntu forums and Google :roll: ), so the computers will be set up to have XFce, some GUI config tools, OOo pre2.0 and the current stable, firefox, thunderbird, and some A/V players (not sure what, yet).

they are celeron 500MHz with 128 (or 256, haven't decided yet) with CD drives and 10gb HDDs.

We were thinking $150 for the base system, and $250 to include Wine'd Office XP.

are we 'in the ballpark', or is the price way off?

thanks! :)
sounds like good prices, in the ballpark ;) I'd say 125-150 base and then add the Office XP price onto it for those.

500 mhz with 256 isn't THAT bad.

WildTangent
May 14th, 2005, 08:11 PM
wow, my school is getting rid of pretty much the same thing, celeron 600, 128-256MB RAM, 10-20GB HDDs, and i was planning on doing the exact same thing, and selling them to students in the poorer, inner-city schools. id say 150 is a little too much though for people that arent as well off as others, i wouldnt charge more than $100

-Wild

benplaut
May 15th, 2005, 12:30 AM
well, people are a little better off in hawaii... but it is a fair price (IMO) considering that we they are not really being sold to the less fortunate, but to those who's parents don't really consider it important to buy their kids computers; in my school, your grades plumit if you don't have your own (i made a deal with my parents- if i could raise my grades from a C to my usual straight A's, then they would pay for the computer i was getting... it worked \\:D/ )

lappy512
May 15th, 2005, 01:49 AM
At Fry's, they sell this great computer: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4199563

Sometimes, it goes on sale for $150, so considering that, your school's computer might be a little high-priced.

benplaut
May 15th, 2005, 02:02 AM
At Fry's, they sell this great computer: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4199563

Sometimes, it goes on sale for $150, so considering that, your school's computer might be a little high-priced.

plus shipping to Hawaii ;-)

az
May 15th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Why office XP under wine? What is wrong with OO?

The ltsp would be interesting for a roomfull of old computers. These computers are not too old. I would run full-blown ubuntu on them. Especially the ones with 256 megs of ram.

Here in Montreal, I can get a used system like that for about 150...

benplaut
May 15th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Why office XP under wine? What is wrong with OO?

The ltsp would be interesting for a roomfull of old computers. These computers are not too old. I would run full-blown ubuntu on them. Especially the ones with 256 megs of ram.

Here in Montreal, I can get a used system like that for about 150...

becuase the people using these machines are used to it, and at my school, Powerpoint files from PP2003 need to be edited... IMO, OOo impress kinda sucks... :roll:

bored2k
May 15th, 2005, 02:56 AM
becuase the people using these machines are used to it, and at my school, Powerpoint files from PP2003 need to be edited... IMO, OOo impress kinda sucks... :roll:
Why don't you sell computers with OOo, and offer the posibility of you guys installing MS Office XP for an extra fee should they want MS Office so badly ? This way, they would at least know they have an option besides Microsoft, not just "OK it's another OS but you'll still need MS software wich is more expensive than this computer by itself" :neutral:

Power Point 2003 files ? and you're selling Office XP through? isn't there going to be a compatibility error anyway ? I used to get errors a lot trying to open Office XP files on Office 2000, I can only imagine it's the same..

benplaut
May 15th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Why don't you sell computers with OOo, and offer the posibility of you guys installing MS Office XP for an extra fee should they want MS Office so badly ? This way, they would at least know they have an option besides Microsoft, not just "OK it's another OS but you'll still need MS software wich is more expensive than this computer by itself" :neutral:

Power Point 2003 files ? and you're selling Office XP through? isn't there going to be a compatibility error anyway ? I used to get errors a lot trying to open Office XP files on Office 2000, I can only imagine it's the same..

$150 for the base system, and $250 to include Wine'd Office XP

there is no difference in the formats of Office XP and Office 2003... but 2000 to XP or 2003 is a huge change. think about it- the last time the premeir office suite that the world uses was updated is in 2002 :-#

bored2k
May 15th, 2005, 03:20 AM
there is no difference in the formats of Office XP and Office 2003... but 2000 to XP or 2003 is a huge change. think about it- the last time the premeir office suite that the world uses was updated is in 2002 :-#
Sorry I skipped the 250 part.

Lol. I still have funny thoughts when I see new computers with Windows 2000/XP. I just think "so the world of technology didn't have any changes at all in the course of 5 years? Windows needs apt-get !".

Anyway, what brand will the boards be? have you fully tested them for compatibility with Ubuntu? so I don't see in the near future "some dude sold me a crippled system with Ubuntu !" ;)

panickedthumb
May 15th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Here's what you should do-- don't ANNOUNCE that you'll put Office XP on them. Send them out with Ubuntu and OOo, and possibly the dynamic of the school will change to adopt OOo since more people will be using it.

benplaut
May 15th, 2005, 03:41 AM
bored2k: i haven't installed yet (didn't have enough time), but the LiveCD ran perfectly- everything was detected and ran well [enough]. I will install a few systems on monday, so we'll see then!

panickedthumb: i highly doubt it... have you ever seen something like that happen? [-X

panickedthumb
May 15th, 2005, 03:48 AM
haha, no unfortunately. It was a nice thought though right?