PDA

View Full Version : Run script on bootup as root

RudolfMDLT
January 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hi there,

I need to write a script that will restart a server install every 24 hours. Is there a program already installed/ that i can install on a server that will allow me to schedule a restart every 24 hours or will my script have to count down 24 hours?

Secondly - If my script has to count down itself, where do I tell Ubuntu server to load it at startup?

Thirdly - The script needs to reboot the computer, so it has to be executed with root privileges? how can I execute a script with root privileges without having some one enter the password? Can I have the script enter the root password for me?

Thanks,

Rudolf

LotsOfPhil
January 11th, 2007, 06:05 PM
This is hopefully not the best solution but you can make a file with your password in it and have sudo use that.

sudo -S /execute/script < /file/with/password

Not something I would do.

RudolfMDLT
January 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
O! read it from a file! Thanks a lot!

Grey
January 15th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I was hesitating to reply to this, as I really don't know the answer. But that solution is just terrible, as LotsOfPhil has already said.

The correct way of doing this would be to install the script to /etc/init.d. I'm not really sure how this works, or what the procedure is. But that's the place that boot-time scripts are placed. I think they need to be registered somewhere as well. But again, I'm not sure. Which is why I didn't answer.

My suggestion would be to check out the folding@home script on these forums, since it installs the F@H binary manually (via a script), and sets it to run on boot. It would be a good starting point.

RudolfMDLT
January 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I know it's not the most delecate or secure solution - But I'm really a noob and the machine I'm going to be running this on in an isolated ubuntu server. But I'll try the init.d advice. Thank you very much!

andrem
January 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I would put the script on /etc/init.d then do a

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/script_name.sh
and finally

sudo update-rc.d script_name.sh defaults

man update-rc.d may also help

yota
January 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
To schedule a script to be run every 24 hours you can just put it under /etc/cron.daily (make sure that it's executable and has no extension).
The cron scheduler will take care of executing it trough the anacron command; there are also the self-explaining 'cron.hourly' and 'cron.monthly'

For advanced usage have a look at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto

Hope this helps!

p.s. by default the script will be run as root as you require

andrem
January 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Yes, I'd also use cron. I set the script with update-rc.d because I though your script handled the triggering. Anyway, it seems stupid to do it that way, i'd stick to Cron.

LotsOfPhil
January 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM
When/if you use Cron, type:

sudo crontab -e

And it will run as root.