PDA

View Full Version : Giving Thanks?

l951b951
January 9th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Hi, I have lived in these forums for the past 3 weeks (since discovering Ubuntu and ditching Fedora6). Along the way, I have had some posts go unanswered. Also, I have had some posts answered instantly with precision details. I found a user, gborzi, who has the same laptop that I have. I sent him a private message regarding the IR port, and he went to the trouble to get his running (he had no need for it and had left it alone) and then sent the details to me via another private message. I am in his debt.
I tried a forum search to see if someone else had asked this question, but I'm not sure what search terms to use. So I apologize if this question has already been asked or already exists.:

Is it possible to have a counter, similar to the bean counter, showing how many people say thanks to the user? I know it would require another item, but perhaps when I view a users profile, give me the opportunity to click on a box and add to his counter.

I don't want to create an elitist feel to this forum, but I would like to give credit to the Super-Users that visit the "Absolute Beginner Talk" to help people like me. To me, a newbie, this forum is what sets Ubuntu above the rest of the distros.

teaker1s
January 9th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I'm only very average user, but my thanks to the people who helped me is to help with basic questions I know the answers to now.;)

PriceChild
January 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Currently you may only rate a thread itself as helpful/good.

A karma system "could" make a nice addition to the forums, as long as it wasn't abused... Its not for me to decide though :)

matthew
January 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Early on the forums had a system like this and it started to become more of a popularity contest ("Hey, there's another of PriceChild's threads...I'll rate it up") rather than actually beneficial. It was decided to drop the feature for that reason. It could be quite useful, but we couldn't figure out an implementation that didn't get abused.

EDIT: mentioning gborzi's name publicly and saying, "Thank you," as you have done is a wonderful way to give him credit/feedback. :)