PDA

View Full Version : Show Us Your Server

Pages : 1 2 [3]

The Real Dave
July 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM
My latest play thing, not really a server as yet but it's running 10.04 desktop edition at the moment :)

</snip>

It's an overclocked P4 to 3.1ghz, 1gb ram and 80gb drive, nothing too special but all good fun :)

I tried to take a photo using my phone (like above) of my Dell poweredge 1750 running esxi 3.5 but it won't turn out in the low light. That does have ubuntu server 10.04 running in a virtual machine as a ssh socks proxy, I'm just trying to learn the Linux server basics at the moment.

Too lazy to even take it out of the box eh? ;) Nice to see another Pentium IV server at last :)

mr-woof
July 7th, 2010, 11:12 PM
ha ha thanks, it doesn't run too badly considering it's quite old hardware now. Now what to do with it? :)

The Real Dave
July 7th, 2010, 11:21 PM
ha ha thanks, it doesn't run too badly considering it's quite old hardware now. Now what to do with it? :)

Throw on 10.04 Server and make a file/web/general-everything server :) Or try out something like FreeNAS.

mr-woof
July 7th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I was considering having a play around with freeNas, could be a good shout that Dave :) Would it work ok with just 1 disk in there?

I haven't got much room in my Dell box lol :)

mamamia88
July 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
can someone answer me a simple question? what's the difference between a file server and a ubuntu machine that shares folders with rest of network?

mr-woof
July 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I could be wrong but in my mind, I would say that's exactly the same thing.

cartman640
July 7th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Thats a really nice system, but what is with the pizza boxes??? :shock:

We normally get pizza on Fridays, and after a few weeks we had a small stack of pizza boxes going so we decided to try and get to the roof, which we did :D. Although a day later the big pile mysteriously "fell over" so they all got stacked there.

dragos240
July 7th, 2010, 11:39 PM
What are the stats of your VPS dragos? How powerful is it, for $10 pm?

1gb of ram,
1.5GHZ CPU
1000GB of bandwidth/month.
50gb HD

isecore
July 7th, 2010, 11:41 PM
can someone answer me a simple question? what's the difference between a file server and a ubuntu machine that shares folders with rest of network?

None, really. It just depends on how the files are handled. A "file server" is a pretty generic description for something that shares files - could be over SAMBA, FTP, NFS or whatever method you set it up to.

mamamia88
July 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM
ah cool and are there any backup tools that would let you automatically copy all settings and stuff to server for easy recovery in case local harddrive crashed?

mr-woof
July 7th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Dragos, regarding your vps do you have full control over it? Ie, I want to install this server version etc?

The Real Dave
July 7th, 2010, 11:50 PM
1gb of ram,
1.5GHZ CPU
1000GB of bandwidth/month.
50gb HD

Not bad :)

We normally get pizza on Fridays, and after a few weeks we had a small stack of pizza boxes going so we decided to try and get to the roof, which we did :D. Although a day later the big pile mysteriously "fell over" so they all got stacked there.

I once did a very similar thing with bottlecaps, not in a stack mind you :)

I was considering having a play around with freeNas, could be a good shout that Dave :) Would it work ok with just 1 disk in there?

I haven't got much room in my Dell box lol :)

Yup, it'll run fine with one harddrive. You can install it to the HDD, or run it Live on a CD, so long as you have a floppy or USB drive to store the config on. I ran my main server with FreeNAS from a CD and floppy for a few months, before I decided to use Ubuntu server.

WRDN
July 7th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I use my server for messing with software, for web hosting, git and svn hosting, bug tracking (bugzilla), MySQL related stuff, print server (CUPS), SSH (who doesn't), as a file server, and email server.

The specs:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz
512Mb RAM
Integrated Graphics Chip (not used, as its a headless server)
10/100MB Ethernet card
20Gb HDD
DVD RW Drive

OS: Dual boot XP Pro (came with it,used once) and Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) Server Edition. I'm going to install Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition if I get chance though.

Its an IBM Low profile machine, to be precise, the IBM 831831G. It cost be 30 on ebay, and its been a brilliant little machine :)

After all the services I want are started, I still have around 20Mb RAM free. Anyone got any ideas what I can do with this? :)

dragos240
July 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Dragos, regarding your vps do you have full control over it? Ie, I want to install this server version etc?

Yep! I can get ssh access, I even use vnc access. For some reason my current bandwidth usage is 0.00, and I use vnc daily for hours on end. It's really nice.

mamamia88
July 8th, 2010, 12:05 AM
so can you use programs like miro and ps3mediaserver via command line or would you be better setting up with desktop version then disconnecting monitor and leaving it in closet or something?

dragos240
July 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM
so can you use programs like miro and ps3mediaserver via command line or would you be better setting up with desktop version then disconnecting monitor and leaving it in closet or something?

The electricity usage per month would be more expensive than this VPS. It's really nice.

mamamia88
July 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM
The electricity usage per month would be more expensive than this VPS. It's really nice.
that doesn't exactly answer my question sorry.

dragos240
July 8th, 2010, 12:18 AM
that doesn't exactly answer my question sorry.

But yeah, I can run any software I want.

sgosnell
July 8th, 2010, 12:19 AM
For backing up to a server, rsync works well, especially in a cron job run in the middle of the night.

The Real Dave
July 8th, 2010, 12:27 AM
For backing up to a server, rsync works well, especially in a cron job run in the middle of the night.

That's exactly how my computers backup to my server, but not in the middle of the night. Twice a day. :)

dmizer
July 8th, 2010, 05:36 AM

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_%28computing%29

... consider a web server application (such as the multi-platform "Apache HTTP Server"). This web server software can be run on any capable computer. For example, while a laptop or Personal Computer is not typically known as a server, they can in these situations fulfill the role of one, and hence be labeled as one. It is in this case that the machine's purpose as a web server classifies it in general as a Server.

In this thread however, we're mostly referring to computers that are dedicated servers rather than desktop systems that also happen to be servers.

juancarlospaco
July 13th, 2010, 07:31 PM
On Sovietic Russia the Thread Bump You!

isecore
July 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I posted in this thread a long, long time ago. I'm still running the same machine, but recently I decided to go through an upgrade.

These three new bad boys will take over the duties of my homemachine, which will be retired and shut down.

These are small images, but since they're rackmounted machines (and haven't been setup just yet) I don't really see much purpose with high-resolution photos. They're just not very visually impressive.

The top photo will be the main machine. It's an IBM x-series 346, dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz and eight gigabytes of memory. It has two disc-arrays, one consisting of two 146GB 15krpm SCSI/320-disks in RAID-1 (for operating system) and a secondary array with three 300GB 10krpm SCSI/320-disks in RAID-5 for storage. This machine will be primarily functioning as a front-end webserver, running Apache, PHP and all that good-stuff. It will also be dealing with email, ftp and similar related services.

The second photo is another identical 346 (except for a slightly different disk-configuration: 6x72GB 15krpm SCSI/320 in RAID-5) which will be running back-end services such as MySQL databases and miscellaneous other services such as my XMPP-server.

The other machine in the second photo is a slightly older x345. Dual 3Ghz Xeons, but slightly older CPUs lacking for example 64-bit extensions. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with this machine, most likely using it for experiments as a sandbox type environment.

Of course these machines run Ubuntu Server, and it installed and runs completely flawlessly. Currently I'm shopping around for a decent co-location facility since I won't be running them from home - the level of noise these machines put out is astounding, and they consume rather impressive amounts of electricity.

These are "real" servers, and as such they have all the good stuff you want. Dual hot-swappable PSUs, hot-swappable drives, very noisy and each weighs about 35 kg (approx 77lbs).

Best of all? These beauties didn't cost me a thing. :)

http://www.isecore.net/ibm/346_mini.jpg

http://www.isecore.net/ibm/346plus345_mini.jpg

johnny2m
July 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM
The top photo will be the main machine. It's an IBM x-series 346, dual Xeon 3.2 Ghz and eight gigabytes of memory. It has two disc-arrays, one consisting of two 146GB 15krpm SCSI/320-disks in RAID-1 (for operating system) and a secondary array with three 300GB 10krpm SCSI/320-disks in RAID-5 for storage. This machine will be primarily functioning as a front-end webserver, running Apache, PHP and all that good-stuff. It will also be dealing with email, ftp and similar related services.

The second photo is another identical 346 (except for a slightly different disk-configuration: 6x72GB 15krpm SCSI/320 in RAID-5) which will be running back-end services such as MySQL databases and miscellaneous other services such as my XMPP-server.

For home?! :shock:

Currently I'm shopping around for a decent co-location facility since I won't be running them from home

Ah..

Best of all? These beauties didn't cost me a thing. :)]

How did you manage that?:mrgreen:

isecore
July 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
How did you manage that?:mrgreen:

These are retired machines from a former employer of mine, who happens to be a nice guy. He felt that rather than destroying otherwise perfectly good and useful machines just because they're being retired from service with him, they could go to work for me instead.

It was a win-win situation. I got machines, and he didn't have to pay to destroy fully functional servers.

irv
July 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
These are retired machines from a former employer of mine, who happens to be a nice guy. He felt that rather than destroying otherwise perfectly good and useful machines just because they're being retired from service with him, they could go to work for me instead.

It was a win-win situation. I got machines, and he didn't have to pay to destroy fully functional servers.

That was sweet.
I got a old mainframe some years back, and I stripped down, scraped the metal as was going to try and get the precious metal out of the chips, which never happen. At least I got some of it recycled.

Dragonbite
July 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM

That's how I've gotten numerous desktops and laptops. Of course they aren't as good as your servers (P4 @2.4 GHz is the best I've gotten so far, and my Centrino laptop).

All I've ever needed to do was update RAM and get new hard disks (which I need to do again anyway).

johnny2m
July 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
These are retired machines from a former employer of mine

I've only inherited a couple of old laptops from my work, tho I have turned one of those into a home web server:). We're due to be getting rid of some old servers quite soon, but I don't think my wife would let me keep them in the house!

ilovelinux33467
July 28th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Getting a new server soon :D

HP ProLiant DL140 G3.

This server has VT unlike my two older servers so I can install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it and do some testing with Linux Kernel-based Virtual Machine and libvirt which I always wanted to do and set up some iSCSI targets from the old servers to give this server more storage :)

m666
July 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
It's my main desktop PC at the moment but it's going to be converted into server soon.

irv
July 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
It's my main desktop PC at the moment but it's going to be converted into server soon.

Why don't you put it in a case? or do you plan on doing it some day? I know the land fills are full of old cases. I have a half a dozen laying around myself.

juancarlospaco
July 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM

that seems like a mini-itx board?, nice... :)

virusiidx
July 30th, 2010, 08:56 PM
My current sandbox home server hosting my websites, FTP, SSH, storage, etc... (the works). :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lVHsK543pHU/TFC9zI_qE9I/AAAAAAAABtk/Ukt6DYcN2Jo/136664306.jpg

It's a mini-itx case with a Zotac mini-itx motherboard, with an AMD x2 5600+ @ 2.9ghz, 2GB DDR2 @800mhz, 1TB 7200, 250w PSU. It's my low-power server for mostly personal stuff, but also hosts some sites for friends of mine. It's running headless with Ubuntu 10.04 Server :).

The LCD on the front is a 3.5 bay touchscreen temperature monitor and fan controller.

I used to have it running on a full sized ATX case, but it was too big and drawing too much power. So Newegg was having this combo deal for both the Zotac mini-itx motherboard and case with 250w PSU for $60, so I jumped on it and just moved all the hardware over.

Incase those are interested, this is the case and mini-itx board it's using:

itx-case w/ 250 PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091
mini-itx motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500045

m666
July 31st, 2010, 01:28 AM
Why don't you put it in a case? .
I tried but there is no room for PSU inside ;)

linux18
July 31st, 2010, 02:02 AM
Lol :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

irv
July 31st, 2010, 12:26 PM
I tried but there is no room for PSU inside ;)

There was a post on this thread where so one put there server in a wooden box, and another in a dresser drawer.

Mr Pink57
August 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM
CPU: AMD Opty 146 2ghz
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty RDX200
Memory: 2x 1gb G.Skill HZ
Hard Drive: 36gb Raptor
Power Supply: 500w Enermax
Case: Something generic with pretty blue lights
Monitor: 19" junk
dual gigabit lan

This is a Untangle server doesnt do much besides keep the bad people away.

The Real Dave
August 10th, 2010, 01:02 AM
My current sandbox home server hosting my websites, FTP, SSH, storage, etc... (the works). :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lVHsK543pHU/TFC9zI_qE9I/AAAAAAAABtk/Ukt6DYcN2Jo/136664306.jpg

It's a mini-itx case with a Zotac mini-itx motherboard, with an AMD x2 5600+ @ 2.9ghz, 2GB DDR2 @800mhz, 1TB 7200, 250w PSU. It's my low-power server for mostly personal stuff, but also hosts some sites for friends of mine. It's running headless with Ubuntu 10.04 Server :).

The LCD on the front is a 3.5 bay touchscreen temperature monitor and fan controller.

I used to have it running on a full sized ATX case, but it was too big and drawing too much power. So Newegg was having this combo deal for both the Zotac mini-itx motherboard and case with 250w PSU for $60, so I jumped on it and just moved all the hardware over.

Incase those are interested, this is the case and mini-itx board it's using:

itx-case w/ 250 PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091
mini-itx motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500045

That touchscreen controller is sweet :) I'd love something like that for my server.

schreber
August 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
virusiidx: How much noise does your little server make? I'm interested in building a small form factor HTC and want something along the lines of your build but ultra quiet.

virusiidx
August 10th, 2010, 02:55 AM
It's mostly the CPU fan that makes most of it's noise, the PSU fan is almost silent. So your mileage may vary depending on your CPU fan. I'm using a low-profile HSF that came with an AMD 245 CPU I purchased for another build, but it's fan isn't completely silent. It's about as loud as a fat PS3's fan under mid-load. It's not loud enough to bother me though, but I can hear it slightly from a few feet away.

Sorry, not sure how else to explain or compare it's noise.

Spice Weasel
October 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Shameless bump, couldn't let this classic thread die. :P

Here she is, my pride and (dusty) joy.

http://imgur.com/CPpk3.jpg

And here... with no clothes... :P

http://i.imgur.com/88ruz.jpg

Excuse the horrible cable management, and yes I did move that SATA cable in front of the fan after taking the photo.

CharlesA
October 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Nice one.

Looks a bit like one of the machines I used to have. :)

Spice Weasel
October 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks. :)

dmizer
October 27th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Excuse the horrible cable management, and yes I did move that SATA cable in front of the fan after taking the photo.

I've never been very successful with cable management either ... I think there's some voodoo involved. ;)

juancarlospaco
October 27th, 2010, 04:59 AM
My server is shy

Spice Weasel
October 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I've never been very successful with cable management either ... I think there's some voodoo involved. ;)

Here's something that made me feel better.

http://www.iinet.net.au/email/img/news_cable_mess_03_full.png

The Real Dave
October 28th, 2010, 04:54 PM
God I love my cable management :) Cable ties are your friends ;)

My server hasn't changed since it was on here last (love this thread though!), and it can be seen here (http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/hardware/#An-Lar).

Space is starting to get a bit tight now though, so for Christmas, I'll be giving an upgrade with a 1 or 2 TB harddrive :)

Spice Weasel, what are it's stats? :)

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Arr, you have a nice oldskool server, matey.

Here are my stats:

Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1354 @ 2199.93mhz (Don't ask. Good thing I don't question /proc/cpuinfo.)
500GB Western Digital hard disk (7200rpm)... I'm getting an extra 1TB soon hopefully.
1GB DDR2 Unbuffered ECC Memory
Foxconn (sigh...) unknown mATX motherboard
Alpine Linux 2.1

It's not doing much at the moment, and thanks to me being stupid I can't use it as a webserver. At the moment, it is a backup slave.

irv
October 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
God I love my cable management :) Cable ties are your friends ;)

My server hasn't changed since it was on here last (love this thread though!), and it can be seen here (http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/hardware/#An-Lar).

Space is starting to get a bit tight now though, so for Christmas, I'll be giving an upgrade with a 1 or 2 TB harddrive :)

I don't believe God has anything to do with cable management, He went wireless right from the beginning. (no punt intended). The point being, why not get rid of all the cables and go wireless.
I also love this thread, and have subscribed to it from way back.
Us server guys can come up with some neat ideas. I hope this thread never dies. The only thing that changed on my server is the OS version. Now up to 10.04. And it is like the energizing bunny and the old timex watches, it just keep going and going and it take a licking and it keep on ticking.

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know where in the UK I could buy a small monitor (>1024x768) for my server, that doesn't use too much space? :)

I don't believe God has anything to do with cable management, He went wireless right from the beginning. (no punt intended). The point being, why not get rid of all the cables and go wireless.

Wireless power isn't very widespread yet, and it's a bit risky for anyone to be able to connect to your hard drive after cracking the password. :P

darkhelmetchris
October 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'm happy to add my picture.

[my primary file server: Server01]
CentOS5, P4@2.6GHz, 1GB ram, GbE, dual 250GB hdd, card reader for critical backups

[my telephone PBX: Asterisk01]
CentOS4.3, P3@1GHz, 512MB ram, 100MbE, 80GB hdd

[my primary router: Router01]
FreeBSD7, Cel1.7GHz, 256MB ram, 100MbE, USB flash drive (no hdd)

Also seen here:
row 1: some spare hdd's, daily backup SD-cards
row 2: DSL modem, cable modem, sip ATA #1 (2xFXS), sip ATA #2 (1xFXS)
row 3: Server01, Asterisk01, Router01, UPS #1, UPS#2
far right: 8-port GbE switch
not shown: 16-port 10/100 switch

Oh yes, and all workstation are Ubuntu! There are no Windows boxes in THIS place.

irv
October 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM

CentOS5, P4@2.6GHz, 1GB ram, GbE, dual 250GB hdd, card reader for critical backups

Also seen here:

Oh yes, and all workstation are Ubuntu! There are no Windows boxes in THIS place.

Very nice. It must be your business? It doesn't look anything like my furnace room where I keep my IDF.

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know where in the UK I could buy a small monitor (>1024x768) for my server, that doesn't use too much space? :)

Why not just get a cheap flat panel? I've got a cheapo 19" LCD on my server and it doesn't take up that much space.

Like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B1930N-Widescreen-Monitor-Gloss/dp/B0039YOWF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288289450&sr=8-1) one, maybe.

d3v1150m471c
October 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Nice rig hkgonra, is that in your house? What are you doing over there,
contract work for Oak Ridge?;)

lmmfao

irv
October 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Wireless power isn't very widespread yet, and it's a bit risky for anyone to be able to connect to your hard drive after cracking the password. :P
Ya your right on the wireless. ON the monitor, I just took a peek on ebay and there are a ton of them out there, I would have to believe there are some in the UK. A lot of 15" flat panels cheap, but watch the shipping cost.

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'll take a look on ebay. Most of the >15" monitors seem to be CRT or touchscreen... Sigh.

Why not just get a cheap flat panel? I've got a cheapo 19" LCD on my server and it doesn't take up that much space.

Like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-B1930N-Widescreen-Monitor-Gloss/dp/B0039YOWF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288289450&sr=8-1) one, maybe.

19" is a bit too much to be honest, I need something that can fit in as little space as possible.

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'll take a look on ebay. Most of the >15" monitors seem to be CRT or touchscreen... Sigh.

19" is a bit too much to be honest, I need something that can fit in as little space as possible.
D'oh! A CRT would definitely not fit that bill. How much space do you have to work with?

I haven't seen anything below a 18.5" monitor in some time.

EDIT: Found a refurbished monitor http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/IBM-17IBM-17-inch-LCD-Monitor-Refurbished/2586729/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=2B64152D-52C1-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I guess I'll just have to settle for a 15". They are fairly easy to find over here. :)

darkhelmetchris
October 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Very nice. It must be your business? It doesn't look anything like my furnace room where I keep my IDF.

Well, sort-of. It is actually my home. It's a little cubby-hole under my staircase. Most of the resources used are for home use. But I do have a computer consulting business that I run out of my home, and the same gear is used for that.

sgosnell
October 28th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Looks like cable management is a common problem. Everything in that photo is very neat and orderly, except the cables all over the place. :-D

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I totally fail at cable management, since my server has so much junk crammed into the case. O_o

Mr Bean
October 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Here's my home file server.

Not a current photo though, the IDE card was since replaced with a Gigabit ethernet card, but it's close enough.

An attempt was made at cable management but I don't have the tools necessary to make the custom length cables that would have really made the system look neat.

The digits scribbled all over the case are from the hard drive serial numbers, the idea being that I will know which one to remove when a drive fails, providing that the RAID card reports the serial number of the faulty drive. I don't know if it actually will, but that evidently didn't stop me from doing it.

Main array is a 4TB RAID10 (2TB usable space), then there is a 1TB RAID1 (500GB usable), and a couple of small IDE drives.

With affordable 4 bay NAS boxes finally becoming a reality it looks like my next upgrade will see this machine retired.

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
That's a hell of a cooler. :eek:

Mr Bean
October 28th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah it is (or was) one of the biggest. It came with clips for all major heatsink mounting brackets. Luckily the AMD one shown in that photo was fairly easy to work with, but previously I used that sink in my own C2D based system, that uses those horrible plastic clips on each of the four corners. They break at the drop of a hat, and you can hardly reach them at all under the bulk of the heatsink. It was horrible.

The Real Dave
October 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I also love this thread, and have subscribed to it from way back.
Us server guys can come up with some neat ideas. I hope this thread never dies. The only thing that changed on my server is the OS version. Now up to 10.04. And it is like the energizing bunny and the old timex watches, it just keep going and going and it take a licking and it keep on ticking.

Because cabling is cheap and reliable. If I could, I would cable ever computer in my house. I get 100Mb routers practically thrown at me, and I've a box of 100Mb NICs. On the other hand, I have Wireless N compatible routers, but no N compatible adapters. I just don't have the cash for them. In the same light, upgrading to gigabit ethernet also isn't an option. But 100Mb is enough for me, for the moment at least.

And when it comes to internal wiring, cable management is quite important, helping with airflow, temperatures, and therefore stability and life length. And I don't understand quite how wireless internal components would be feasible >.<

Also seen here:

What exactly do your router server and your telephone server do? I presume the router server simply dishes out DHCP, seeing as your switches are controlling physically connecting systems to your network?

Here's my home file server.

Not a current photo though, the IDE card was since replaced with a Gigabit ethernet card, but it's close enough.

An attempt was made at cable management but I don't have the tools necessary to make the custom length cables that would have really made the system look neat.

The digits scribbled all over the case are from the hard drive serial numbers, the idea being that I will know which one to remove when a drive fails, providing that the RAID card reports the serial number of the faulty drive. I don't know if it actually will, but that evidently didn't stop me from doing it.

Main array is a 4TB RAID10 (2TB usable space), then there is a 1TB RAID1 (500GB usable), and a couple of small IDE drives.

With affordable 4 bay NAS boxes finally becoming a reality it looks like my next upgrade will see this machine retired.

That's a nice machine. I'd imagine it would be quite quiet having only those two large fans?

Your cable management is quite good, creating custom length cables is quite a lot of effort >.<

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM

That's actually a really good idea. Saves the effort of playing "guess which drive" when one fails.

Yeah it is (or was) one of the biggest. It came with clips for all major heatsink mounting brackets. Luckily the AMD one shown in that photo was fairly easy to work with, but previously I used that sink in my own C2D based system, that uses those horrible plastic clips on each of the four corners. They break at the drop of a hat, and you can hardly reach them at all under the bulk of the heatsink. It was horrible.

Huge +1 to that. I've had to replace 3 out of 4 stock coolers on the LGA775 machines that I have (both C2D and Dual-core Pentiums). Those plastic retaining clips are horrid.

Mr Bean
October 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
That's a nice machine. I'd imagine it would be quite quiet having only those two large fans?

There are 2 more 120mm fans mounted at the front that you can't see in the photo but yes it's a reasonably quiet machine. It emits a low frequency whirring that can easily be ignored during the day time.

Huge +1 to that. I've had to replace 3 out of 4 stock coolers on the LGA775 machines that I have (both C2D and Dual-core Pentiums). Those plastic retaining clips are horrid.

I don't understand what they were thinking when they designed the clips. Because the LGA socket itself is nice. But a simple lever type setup to attach the heatsink, like AMD uses for it's recent sockets, is so much easier and more robust.

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I don't understand what they were thinking when they designed the clips. Because the LGA socket itself is nice. But a simple lever type setup to attach the heatsink, like AMD uses for it's recent sockets, is so much easier and more robust.

No kidding.

The funny part is that I replaced the stock heat sink with a CoolerMaster GeminiiS (with bolts to hold it on) and it works wonderfully.

Granted it was a pain in the butt to get it installed since I had to take the mobo out of each machine, it was well with it with the cooler temps and whatnot.

darkhelmetchris
October 29th, 2010, 12:42 AM
What exactly do your router server and your telephone server do? I presume the router server simply dishes out DHCP, seeing as your switches are controlling physically connecting systems to your network?

Good question. Actually, no. My dhcpd runs on my file server, along with nfs, samba, apache, ftp, and various other server processes - oh yes, and a Quake1 server that I'll probably run until the end of time, just because I can. In case you're wondering, I did this so that I could down the router and web connections for maintenance (which is rare, I admit), and still have dhcpd available.

To answer your question:

[router]
I use pfSense on the router, to load balance and manage my dual internet connections; a consumer router with "dual wan" just didn't cut it - at least, none that I tried out back then. I keep 2 connections to the web because of my business - each seperate carriers (one via ADSL and one via cable-tv line). They come in to the house on different sides, making it an advantage such that careless backhoe operators won't cut me off in one swift dig of the bucket. pfSense also gives me so much more than a regular home consumer router would (vpn, traffic shaping, scheduling, auto config-backups, dedicated routes...etc) so it really fit my needs, and my wants. ..and it was a distro of 'nix, so it tickles my fancy.

[telephone server]
Well, I don't know where you live, but in my area the "good old blue telephone company" is getting outsourced more and more every day, with support being moved off-shore. Most people are up in arms about it. One day I had enough of the poor service and ported my phone number over to a local VoIP provider and said goodbye to POTS lines, and hello to Asterisk (Trixbox). It was wonderful. Not only is it 1/4 of the cost, but I get all the "big boy" features running Asterisk (intercom, paging, on-hold music, extensions, voicemail ..etc) and all in my house. It's been over 3 years with VoIP now. I would never go back to a copper line from "big" blue again. ...and it was Linux too. tee hee.

irv
October 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM
[telephone server]
Well, I don't know where you live, but in my area the "good old blue telephone company" is getting outsourced more and more every day, with support being moved off-shore. Most people are up in arms about it. One day I had enough of the poor service and ported my phone number over to a local VoIP provider and said goodbye to POTS lines, and hello to Asterisk (Trixbox). It was wonderful. Not only is it 1/4 of the cost, but I get all the "big boy" features running Asterisk (intercom, paging, on-hold music, extensions, voicemail ..etc) and all in my house. It's been over 3 years with VoIP now. I would never go back to a copper line from "big" blue again. ...and it was Linux too. tee hee.

darkhelmetchris, with this know how, why not go into business building linux server all setup for VoIP and install them in homes. The big selling point is the system will paid for itself very quickly. Who know you might make a good living doing this. This would work for me because I have fiber coming into my home. I have Internet, phone and TV all on fiber, (no VoIP yet).

darkhelmetchris
October 29th, 2010, 07:16 AM
darkhelmetchris, with this know how, why not go into business building linux server all setup for VoIP and install them in homes. The big selling point is the system will paid for itself very quickly. Who know you might make a good living doing this. This would work for me because I have fiber coming into my home. I have Internet, phone and TV all on fiber, (no VoIP yet).

Thanks, irv. Well, I sort of do this already, just not for telephone implementations. I build and install Linux servers of various distros depending on the need. While I could set up telephone servers, I have made my focus "normal" file servers in general. ..but, I still might.

If you think that VoIP is something you would like, Trixbox or PBXinaflash are excellent starting points. They both give you a working Asterisk system with minimal learning.

The Real Dave
October 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Good question. Actually, no. My dhcpd runs on my file server, along with nfs, samba, apache, ftp, and various other server processes - oh yes, and a Quake1 server that I'll probably run until the end of time, just because I can. In case you're wondering, I did this so that I could down the router and web connections for maintenance (which is rare, I admit), and still have dhcpd available.

To answer your question:

[router]
I use pfSense on the router, to load balance and manage my dual internet connections; a consumer router with "dual wan" just didn't cut it - at least, none that I tried out back then. I keep 2 connections to the web because of my business - each seperate carriers (one via ADSL and one via cable-tv line). They come in to the house on different sides, making it an advantage such that careless backhoe operators won't cut me off in one swift dig of the bucket. pfSense also gives me so much more than a regular home consumer router would (vpn, traffic shaping, scheduling, auto config-backups, dedicated routes...etc) so it really fit my needs, and my wants. ..and it was a distro of 'nix, so it tickles my fancy.

[telephone server]

That's rather interesting :) The only voIP provider in Ireland as far as I'm aware of is my provider, Imagine Wimax. A modem on my roof connects me to their network, and my phone line and router are all connected in. So my calls go over voIP, but not that you would realise anything different, other than a better quality (my DSL line was horrendous)

irv
October 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks, irv. Well, I sort of do this already, just not for telephone implementations. I build and install Linux servers of various distros depending on the need. While I could set up telephone servers, I have made my focus "normal" file servers in general. ..but, I still might.

If you think that VoIP is something you would like, Trixbox or PBXinaflash are excellent starting points. They both give you a working Asterisk system with minimal learning.
Thanks for the tip, I added this info to my howto list so I can look into it when time is available.

NCLinuxGuy
January 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Raise it from the grave

TechSupportx86
April 18th, 2011, 12:54 AM
So i recently watched a video on youtube of this guy's home file server... He was running a C2Q (i think 2.4Ghz), 8GB RAM, and something like an 8800GTX and about 8 1TB Hard drives, and that's not even the worst part...

he was using Windows 7 as his SERVER's OS :shock:

So i wanted to see what everyone else uses. i know mine is right where it needs to be for a simple samba file and print server, and i know for a fact his is overkill by about 800%. Just curious as to what everyone else uses, new parts, old parts, a Pentium 3?

Mine is made up of parts i accumulated over the past few years, and some i got last month:

case is nothing special, just a beige ATX case with 4x 5.25 and 4x 3.5 (It's from 1999)
motherboard is a biostar i got in a swap
775 Pentium 4 @ 2.4Ghz (Came with board)
RAM is 512MB DDR2 of some brand i don't even remember (Came with board also)
Hard drives are just some IDE drives i had lying around, a 120, 160, and 3x 80s (one is the boot drive)
OS is Ubuntu 10.10 Server edition 32-bit

Eventually i am going to upgrade to a few (maybe 4) 1TB SATA Drives, and a 1gigabit NIC (Using the PCIe x16 slot), but for right now it works pretty darn well ;)

Sporkman
April 18th, 2011, 01:19 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=334293

kaldor
April 18th, 2011, 01:31 AM
omg Win7 on a server, the world's gonna end!

ilovelinux33467
April 18th, 2011, 01:47 AM
My main server is this:
- HP Proliant DL140 G3
- 1.6 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon (To be upgraded soon hopefully)
- 9GB RAM (Supports 32GB)
- 2x SATA2 1TB Hard Drives in RAID1 (Server supports SAS)
- Running CentOS Linux 5.6 x86_64
- Role: KVM Host

Secondary Server:
- Dell PowerEdge 1800
- 3.0GHz Intel Xeon
- 4GB RAM (Supports 16GB)
- 2x 1TB Hard Drives, 1x 2TB Hard Drive, 2x 250GB Hard Drives
- Running CentOS Linux 5.6 x86_64
- Role: File Server

Servers are connected to the rest of the network with 100Mbit/s but they both have another NIC so are connected to each other with a 1Gbit/s cable.

wojox
April 18th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I use to run IIS back in the day. It's alright. Then switched to WAMP, which also was productive. CentOS is my server distro of choice.

Arch has an all server disto now. Been thinking about trying it out.

Spice Weasel
April 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
From the above linked thread:

http://imgur.com/CPpk3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/88ruz.jpg

Runs the latest version of OpenBSD for Apache, SSH and FTP. I can't remember which version.

Isn't it a good sign if you forget about your server? I can't remember much about the specs, but I'm fairly sure that it has 1GB memory, a quad core AMD Opteron and an 1GB hard disk.

overdrank
April 18th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Threads merged :)

MisterGaribaldi
April 18th, 2011, 02:34 AM
This is my Server, and his first name is Eric:

http://www.gregtheitaliansite.com/immagini/anto2/35g.jpg

Actually, I don't really own him, so he's not my Eric Server. However, he's done a fair amount of voice-over work, and so he was the first "server" to come to mind when I saw this thread.

SoFl W
April 18th, 2011, 02:39 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181182&d=1295112632
(http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181182&d=1295112632)

Roasted
April 18th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Isn't it a good sign if you forget about your server? I can't remember much about the specs, but I'm fairly sure that it has 1GB memory, a quad core AMD Opteron and an 1GB hard disk.

Oh boy. That's some serious hard disk space, my friend! :D

linuxforartists
April 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
This ad I saw by a Linux IT company is just too awesome to not share: Penguin Computing (http://www.penguincomputing.com/files/tux/gates1024x768.jpg)

Spice Weasel
April 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
oh boy. That's some serious hard disk space, my friend! :d

I assume you understand that this is not fact, this is typo! It is One of the Terabytes, not one of the Gigabytes. Those guys suck.

Dragonbite
April 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I'm going to be using Windows XP Pro as a "web server" in a few weeks but the neat things is I placed the project files in Dropbox, so I am able to develop the ASP.NET site in either Visual Studio or Monodevelop, depending on which OS I am running at the time.

(I do this because the desktop has a larger monitor and is running Ubuntu only, while the 12" laptop is running Windows)

Johnsie
April 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
(I do this because the desktop has a larger monitor and is running Ubuntu only, while the 12" laptop is running Windows)

It's good to know both Windows and Linux on the server and desktop. Speaking from experience in my job, knowing both has come in useful on many occasions. I also needed to learn Freebsd because two of the servers I need to maintain run Freebsd. It's also good to know VMWare EsxI and Exchange as many companies use those in their infrastructure.

markp1989
April 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
My main server (file server / htpc):

specs:
Intel E3300
Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX-I-E
two 1.5tb SATA drives
32GB SATA SSD
4gb DDR2 RAM

runs the following:
Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.

lighttpd, internal use only.
samba, file sharing
kvm/libvirt , virtual machines for testing new OS's
apt-cacher, for speeding up apt installations
ssh, for remote admin etc
mt-daapd (firefly) , for audio streaming
torrent slave (2 instances of rtorrent)
flexget , running every 40min with cron, for auto downloading torrents from rss feeds.
xbmc (hooked up to tv for video playback)

My firewall

2.66Ghz Celeron
40GB hard drive
256mb Memory

running Astaro home edition,providing DHCP,NTP,DNS and threat/intrusion detection

msandoy
April 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Well, my server needs are not specially demanding, but I have one set up to take care of apt-cacher, torrents and file sharing. And since electricity is getting more and more expencive, I went for an Asus EeeBox 1012.
Atom 330 Dual core.
Nvidia ION chipset.
2 GB RAM
250 GB HDD
Gigabit LAN.
Power consumption, 21W at idle and 30W when active.

I installed Ubuntu server 10.04 at first, but I upgraded it to 10.10 early March. The whole upgrade was done via SSH, since it has no mouse, keyboard or monitor. Everything worked as it was supposed to.

sudoCrushMS
April 18th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Is that an old IBM iSeries server??

fela
April 18th, 2011, 10:30 PM
omg Win7 on a server, the world's gonna end!

Yes, no sarcasm included.

Any sysadmin will tell you, windows sucks as a server OS. In fact it shouldn't even be considered one.

And as for the 800% overkill parts on that server, well, I can find a valid config for that kind of hardware on a server:

First of all, a core 2 quad is a good CPU for a server experiencing high loads with parallel processes, such as a LAMP server with many users, or a game server, for example. There's lots of server apps that would benefit from a fast quad core CPU.

8GB RAM - again, fine for a high load server. In fact, many have more (very high load servers have in excess of 64GB RAM, sometimes even 128GB - indeed it is very warranted in some cases).

Eight 1TB hard drives is perfectly fine for a server storing alot of data, or one that potentially has to store alot of data (such as a debian/ubuntu package cacher for a large network of debian PCs). In fact, my home server has two terabytes, one for backup and one for data - at the moment it's filled to about 60%, and I take alot of RAW photographs.

I can think of few uses for a high end graphics card in a server, although the one that comes to mind is nVidia CUDA/GPGPU (general purpose GPU - levering the processing power of the GPU) applications, such as folding@home, SETI@home or any of those massively parallel computing projects (provided they support GPGPU of course - many of which do nowadays). Unless a server is running these sort of things though, a graphics card like an 8800GTX is a completely unwarranted, expensive, and power hungry addon that serves to do nothing except raise the elecricity bill (and temperature!).

However, if as stated this is a file server, I would 'slightly lower' the specs to something like this (these are the specs of my server):

2.2GHz single core CPU
2GB RAM (or less)
Integrated graphics is overkill ;)
and the hard drive could be anything, depending on how much data you have to store.

So, the bottom line is, that guy didn't know what a server was - wrong hardware, wrong software.

Dragonbite
April 19th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Wow! I don't even have those specs on my desktop/laptop!

I'm running on a PIII @ 1 GHz and maxed to 512 MB of RAM!

You make me drool!

irv
April 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Wow! I don't even have those specs on my desktop/laptop!

I'm running on a PIII @ 1 GHz and maxed to 512 MB of RAM!

You make me drool!

About 6 months ago I replaced my motherboard, memory and HD in my server, and I keep it under $200. Here is what I have now.

Roasted
April 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM
However, if as stated this is a file server, I would 'slightly lower' the specs to something like this (these are the specs of my server):

2.2GHz single core CPU
2GB RAM (or less)
Integrated graphics is overkill ;)
and the hard drive could be anything, depending on how much data you have to store.

So, the bottom line is, that guy didn't know what a server was - wrong hardware, wrong software.

You can even go a bit crazier with lowering the specs of a file server. I know people who have gotten a netbook and put a fat 2.5" HDD in it. Then they adjusted power settings so they can close the laptop without it suspending and bam... sit it on the shelf with a cat5 line and AC power and that's their file server. Yay, atom processors.

I'm toying with FreeNAS right now on an old box... 256mb RAM and a single core Socket A AMD processor. It's noisy. It's dirty. But it works. However, this is also at the home level. A business file server may (and I would expect so) to need more oomph than that.

barbedsaber
April 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM
One of the universities close to me has a beowolf cluster. From memory it's 8 computers, couple of pentium III, but mainly P4, all running windows XP with full GUI and antivirus (keeping in mind that they are sandboxed, the only way you can access them is when you give them data to crunch)

EDIT:
I take it back, they've changed it since then, and my memory fails me
it's a proposed beowolf cluster
http://wiki.csclub.org.au/index.php/Beowulf_Cluster

but seriously, this is the computer science club...

Sporkman
April 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Yay, atom processors.

When you look at the big picture as to how far we've come technology-wise, even the lowly atom is impressively fast...

MBybee
April 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Here's one of my servers

cpuinfo: model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
# of CPUs: 16
141 GB of RAM
Roughly 20TB of disk
RHEL 5.5

This box is running about 80% of max on a regular day, in a cluster of 40 identical ones.

Dragonbite
April 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Yay, atom processors.

I've been tempted to pick up an atom processor nettop to use as my server in part due to low power consumption.

Heck, if I had the money I would probably replace the desktop and server with nettops since they have all the "oomph!" I need really and doesn't suck down so much juice.

A dual-core Atom may even be enough to run a couple of VMs even!

Roasted
April 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I've been tempted to pick up an atom processor nettop to use as my server in part due to low power consumption.

Heck, if I had the money I would probably replace the desktop and server with nettops since they have all the "oomph!" I need really and doesn't suck down so much juice.

A dual-core Atom may even be enough to run a couple of VMs even!

Currently my desktop runs in tandem as a file server, since I basically just threw in a couple extra hard drives and samba'd them out to the network. But in the grand scheme of things, I think I'd rather redo things when I move out, and get a very very very low power consumption desktop with a ton of hard disk space and use that as my file server that runs 247. Then use my laptop for all other stuff with the occasional powering-on of my desktop for beefier things.

I feel inclined to let my desktop run since it serves as a file server. But that 650w psu is eating up far more power than what I need from it, so I think I'd like to re-vamp things a bit to my eco-friendly benefit.

And like everybody pretty much said, love them or hate them, Atoms ARE impressive. But I must agree... a dual core Atom is quite enticing...

irv
April 19th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Here's one of my servers

cpuinfo: model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
# of CPUs: 16
141 GB of RAM
Roughly 20TB of disk
RHEL 5.5

This box is running about 80% of max on a regular day, in a cluster of 40 identical ones.

What the heck are you running with all this power, and using 80% of it?

MBybee
April 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Enterprise database cluster. We have something like 300 or so of these boxes, but the single largest cluster is these 40. The others are in sets of 2-6

speedwell68
April 19th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Here is mine...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/th_DSCF6630.jpg (http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/?action=view&current=DSCF6630.jpg)

The one on the right. It is a Dell Dimension 2300, P4 @ 2.0Ghz with 40GB HDD and 512mb of ram. All it is doing is running Squid3 on 10.04 Server. There is a 250GB Freecom NAS providing backup storage.

I really must get off my lazy butt and sort out the cabling behind the desk.

fela
April 20th, 2011, 12:42 AM
All it is doing is running Squid3 on 10.04 Server.

Do you really need a proxy server running 24/7? Aren't there routers that act as proxies nowadays? That would be cool (well if they ran some Linux distro with SSH and squid - but were still embedded devices ;))

freebeer
April 20th, 2011, 04:19 AM
My server:

irv
April 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
My server:

Nice looking server!

sonowilson
April 25th, 2011, 02:41 AM
My 10.04 server is currently consists of amd64 3.2ghz, 1gb ddr 333, and an 80gb hd. The parts are spread across my desk for now but I am planning to put it in this:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/sonofwang/DSCN3436.jpg

It's got samba, ftp, web, and ssh. My plan is to run the speaker out jack on the mobo to an amp and then from the amp to the speaker built into this radio. That way I can ssh in and play music from the command line, retaining the radio's music functionality while using it to house the server.

NightwishFan
April 25th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Wow, that is a neat idea!

|{urse
April 25th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Wow, that is a neat idea!

Heck yeah! Please post a pic when it is done!

sonowilson
April 25th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Yeah, I'll keep yall posted, I was thinking tonight that I will get an fm transmitter instead of trying to wire into the speakers. The radio isn't as old as it looks - maybe 20 years old. Its good and loud but there is a bit of static in volume control. Hopefully it will twist out.

irv
April 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Sweet! and I like the woodgrain finish on the radio. I bet it is a conversational piece when your friends see it?

speedwell68
April 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Do you really need a proxy server running 24/7? Aren't there routers that act as proxies nowadays?

As I have a computer doing something 24/7 then having a proxy running 24/7 kinda makes sense. It does seem to speed up my internet experience somewhat.

You can get routers that act as a proxy, but as I don't have one and my computers are run on a tight budget using a redundant PC that this guy I know was going to dump seemed to make sense.

Dragonbite
April 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM
My 10.04 server is currently consists of amd64 3.2ghz, 1gb ddr 333, and an 80gb hd. The parts are spread across my desk for now but I am planning to put it in this:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/sonofwang/DSCN3436.jpg

It's got samba, ftp, web, and ssh. My plan is to run the speaker out jack on the mobo to an amp and then from the amp to the speaker built into this radio. That way I can ssh in and play music from the command line, retaining the radio's music functionality while using it to house the server.

I love it!

fizzel89
June 6th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Sup! I thought I'd share the pics of my server which I built a couple months ago.

http://i.imgur.com/3G3Qm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7muA3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Dc7Pe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/abhrU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9rjbm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AoyDy.jpg

These are the current specs:
COOLER MASTER Elite 100 RC-100-KKP3-GP Slim case (bought from newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119211)
AMD Athlon II 160u 1.8GHz (single-core unlocked to dual-core Athlon II X2 260u 1.8GHz)
Biostar motherboard (too lazy to look up the model number but it has the SB710 northbridge)
2GB DDR3 RAM
3 x 500GB 2.5" HD

I wanted lots of HD space, but because of the small size of the case, I couldn't fit my 1TB 3.5" HD but 1.5TB is enough lol.

I installed an AMD Athlon II 160u. This CPU is AMAZING. I wanted my server to be REALLY energy efficient while having lots of power. The Athlon II 160u runs at 1.8GHz and has a TDP of 20 watts! PLUS on top of that, this is one of those AMD CPUs where AMD locked down the second core, so when I successfully unlocked it, it turned into a stable Athlon II X2 260u which has a TDP of 25 watts! Currently my whole server runs under 45 WATTS ON FULL LOAD!

Plus, since I had 3 hard drives, I couldn't fit the flex ATX power supply that came with it, so I had to use a picoPSU which I bought from eBay. I bought a 120 Watt power supply thinking it should be enough, but in fact it was MORE than enough since my server runs under 45 watts lol.

And last but not least, you're probably wondering what OS I have. Currently, I have Windows XP Pro, but that's because I tried Ubuntu before and got so frustrated trying to install stuff so I switched to XP Pro. But I've decided to go with Ubuntu Server and give it another chance with 11.04 :)

About 6 months ago I replaced my motherboard, memory and HD in my server, and I keep it under $200. Here is what I have now.

Since you have the Sempron 140, have you tried unlocking the second core to get an Athlon II X2 4400e? (if your motherboard supports it).

You can even go a bit crazier with lowering the specs of a file server. I know people who have gotten a netbook and put a fat 2.5" HDD in it. Then they adjusted power settings so they can close the laptop without it suspending and bam... sit it on the shelf with a cat5 line and AC power and that's their file server. Yay, atom processors.

Funny you mention that, my uncle's HP mini 210's monitor started giving him problems with these lines going down the screen, so it's pretty much useless. He gave it to me since he got it free from a Verizon DSL deal lol. It's got an atom N450 1.66GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 160GB HD which I'm going to use for a personal file server.

Bandit
June 6th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Does it all..

The Real Dave
June 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
You know, I'd post up pics of my servers, but my "main" :rolleyes: server has been down for weeks. I'm changing the mobo to one out of a collection that I came across. It'll have a 2.2Ghz Celeron now instead of a 1.7Ghz Pentium IV (though I might change that back), but more importantly onboard SATA (seeing as Ubuntu hates the via_sata driver for my VIA PCI SATA cards), and also space for four slots of RAM, up to 1-2GB, I'm unsure as of yet how much it'll take.

Either way, this time around, if the onboard SATA doesn't do the job, I'll have to put back in the PCI cards, and switch to Windows server, not a fun thought >.<

dmizer
June 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Sup! I thought I'd share the pics of my server which I built a couple months ago.

Nice, but I see that there's not a lot of room for HDD expansion ;)

fizzel89
June 9th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Does it all..

That's pretty awesome, but you use your gaming PC as a server, too? I think it would be better to just get a separate low end and low powered PC and use it as a server.

TBev0
November 24th, 2011, 01:40 AM
http://www.homecomputerlab.com/wp-content/media/HomeLab_update_22_11_2011/HomeLab_22-11-2011-x1024.jpg

http://www.homecomputerlab.com

roelforg
January 8th, 2012, 02:28 PM
This is my favorite dialog:
PERSON: I've just got myself a second pc!
ME: So?
PERSON (now annoyed): So?! Now i've got 2!
ME: I've got 6.
PERSON (baffled): What?!
PERSON (smug): It's not like i've spend a few thousand bucks on my setup.
ME: Me neither, my desktops, network, (etc) have cost me 150 bucks, max.
ME: The most i've spend on 1 single system is 30 bucks, the tv cost 150 (not counted in the previous statement), but i didn't buy it for my pc's, but it's useful when i'm waiting for my pc to finish a heavy task.
PERSON: *Yaw hits floor*
PERSON: B-B-But... Why? Where? How?
ME: Because i can.
ME: You can get used computer for free or almost free, usually they're completely fine or just have minor damage (crashed os (DIE WINDOWS, DIE DIE DIE), malfunctioning cd/dvd player (i'm using one in my server, doesn't always open directly but otherwise it's a fine high grade dvd-player, got it free, go figure), "slow" (those observations are made while running windows, when i get such a pc, my first action is to shove in my autoinstall ubuntu server cd, then the slowest (windows) pc transforms in a (linux) pc whose boot-time challenges the best windows pc's)
PERSON (confused): Linuks (yes they say it like that, no typo), what's that? Some sort of program? How expensive is it? Do i need *insert newest windows version*?
ME (smug): No. It replaces windows, it's an OS, just like windows. It's completely free, and maintained by hundreds of programmers in their free time. You are completely free to modify EVERYTHING!
PERSON: So can i modify my cursor and the location of the _ [] X buttons in *snort* linux?
ME: Didn't you listen? I said EVERYTHING!
*Cut long dialog like the above 2 lines, (s)he just doesn't understand that there's a huge difference between the windows definition of everything and the linux one.

But to much talk...
Let's see some pics!

Note1: The white blob is a hot swap drive (well, it would be if my mobo would support ide hot swapping, i use is as a backup drive, it's not fully inserted in the pic, i only insert it when using).
Note2: A wiring mistake swapped the power leds (in the power button) and the red hd lights (the wire broke so they aren't on)
Note3: Yes, that's the speaker from my audio, my pc's are hooked up to professional dj audio equipment, my hobbies are: programming, playing/testing around with my pc's hardware config and every now and then turn the volume know to 5 (6 causes headaches, 7-8 ear-beep, 9-10 nothing can dampen this!)

Note1: that's a 3com superstack 3 4226T switch on top of my amp.

I build my server together with my friend,
both of us get a lot of old pc's, we strip usable parts, and either use them or put them in the spare parts box, together we had enough parts to build a pc,
I had a disks, cables, mem.
He had a case, mobo, psu.
He gave me the resulting pc as a christmas gift when i was going to leave his place to go home after building it.
I put together the hw on the floor while he was reparing the cd/hd bays in the case (they were stuck, you couldn't get a disk in them).

Specs:
Old 20 year old mobo (i know that because i gave it to him 2 years ago in a pc i got which had some parts he needed, the mobo and psu came back, ironic isn't it? "What goes around, comes back around.").
p3 500 mhz, passive cooling.
Psu, same story as mobo
DVD player (doesn't always open on the first try (read, almost never on the first 10 try's) Otherwise a nice, top-of-the-line device.
256 mb mem
2x 40g hd
1x 20g swap hd (in the cassette is a standard 20g wd ide hd, i'm gonna upgrade it).
cd player

hd1 contains the ubuntu server 11.10 os, disk 2 contains all my data (and a copy is on the swap).
I can nuke the os-disk without removing my hard work, only some config's but, who cares about them, some reinstall's and it's restored.

I like ubuntu server a lot!
It's light and basic out of the box, has all the nice features of the desktop version.
And i can use any wm i like...
I use mwm, i don't need all those fancy graphical things, they only cost me cpu and mem, slow my pc's to a crawl, while i do almost everything from a xterm (working with the shell just feels as if i've got the control of every setting in my fingertips! *drool* *drool*, sorry i just love it).
Although i'm thinking about lxde, a taskbar is kinda useful.

The best thing is when i apply power to my system.
It's like a sci-fi movie.
Fans start whirring, tl lights come flickering online (they flicker while starting, takes 2s),
Lights start blinking everywhere (the switch makes for 30 leds).
Line after line of data starts scrolling over the screen (i disabled the quiet mode and modified the gfx_payload because the kernel was mis-detecting my onboard video and all text was a mix of [{'s or wing-dingies.

Great server anyhow, plus i use it as a desktop (because i can!).

elMouse
January 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM
This is my little baby.

What it lacks in power it makes up for in sound volume. (And physical volume)

http://ownserver.no-ip.net/20121229_002103.jpghttp://ownserver.no-ip.net/20121229_002111.jpghttp://ownserver.no-ip.net/20121229_002117.jpghttp://ownserver.no-ip.net/20121229_002123.jpghttp://ownserver.no-ip.net/20121229_002132.jpghttp://ownserver.no-ip.net/20121229_002827.jpg

It is:
1 x DL360G3 with a single U320 36GB 15000K disc (Raid port 0 is dead is why i dont mirror, else i would) Single CPU and 1 GB memory, running webserver and loadbalancing / reverse proxy.

1 x DL380G3 (SAN) Running openfiler with 1 TB distributed over 15 72,8 GB 10/15000K discs attached to an MSA 30. 2 CPU with i think 2.4 Ghz and 3 GB memory.

1 x DL380G3 with 6 x 36 GB discs running Raid 5 and ESX 3.5 Is directly attached to the SAN with GiB cable on one of the NIC's

1 x Intel P4 SE7221 (Got it for roughly 1,5 usd) running a 2.4 Dualcore, with 2.5 gb memory, 2x 56 GB scsi discs with an older IDE as storage, OS windows XP, the only thing this do is holding on to VMwares infrastructure client.

1 x Storageworks 1/8 Ultrium 232 LTO-1, and is more than happy to backup the entire show. On the picture it is loaded with 6 tapes in slots 1,2,4,5,6,7.

In the bottom there is a breadbox holding cables and stuff, and the top there is an older 15 inch HP monitor with Dell Keyboard and Logitech mouse.

To keep everything afloat there is a Netgear 10/100 switch.

rory838
April 1st, 2013, 04:10 PM
Heres my precious.

In order from top to bottom:

HP 2626 10/100 switch with 2GBIC uplink ports.

HP DL360 G5 with 2 Quad Core 2.7 Ghz 64 bit xeon CPUs 3 72.8GB SAS drives in RAID 5 and 8GB Ecc DDR2.

HP Storageworks NAS 1000s with 4 160GB IDE Drives in RAID 5 (practically never used as its P4 based).

Compaq DL380 G2 with 2 1.4Ghz P3 based xeon CPUs and 6 36GB SCSI U320 drives in RAID 5.

Compaq DL380 G2 (again) with 2 1.27Ghz P3 based xeon CPUs and 2 36GB U320 SCSI drives in RAID 0 (soon to be raid 5 with 6 300GB drives) it also hosts the picture below.

All in an early HP rack that pre-dates their acquisition of Compaq but as its so old it holds its quality and weighs what feels like a metric tonne!

You may notice I love HP machines.

Cant place a picture in here as it rotates so here is a link. (http://rdservers.co.uk/img/RAW%20Camera%20Images/DSC_0251.JPG) (And its very high detail)

cprofitt
April 1st, 2013, 06:01 PM
I have an old self-built Pentium IV for a server in my basement. I use wireless with it and love the wake-on-lan feature because I do not have to get up to turn it on or off.

At work I have several HP DL360s and DL380s (Gen6 through 7 with some Gen8 servers on the way.) pictures of one of the racks below:

starlyte2
April 1st, 2013, 08:37 PM
Lools really COOL, the sort of place to get comfotably working. GREAT :D

starlyte2
April 1st, 2013, 08:39 PM
OMG, I thought mine was a bit big. :( BUT it doesn't work...yet ;)

CharlesA
April 1st, 2013, 10:19 PM
OMG, I thought mine was a bit big. :( BUT it doesn't work...yet ;)

Still needs pics... :p

linuxthefish
May 9th, 2013, 06:37 PM
It's amazing how low power some of the systems are towards the start of this topic. Why do we need higher power servers now, what has changed from a few years back?

MeduZa
May 12th, 2013, 03:38 AM
I created, like 3 years ago, a rack 10U (I named it Orion) to store my servers:
Right now I have 2 server, one 1U and the second a 2U.

Poseidon: is a network server with build in WIFI for access point @ 450mpbs
the hardware is an old Pentium 4 D @ 3ghz with 1 gb ram, a supermicro motherboard with a trendnet wifi nic + 30gb HDD, the case is a supermicro 1U
[I don't have pictures of this one, but I have from my old 1U network server]
services: Bind9 (DNS), isc-dhcp-server (DHCP), NTP (time), Firewall, hostapd(wifi AP), SSH

Apolo: is a NAS server and a XEN virtual host
the hardware is a phenon2 x4 3100 @ 3.1ghz + 4gb RAM + 40 gb sata HDD, and 3 2TB sata green AV drives the Case is a modified 2U
http://medutech.net/forostemp/rack/server2U/final2.jpg
http://medutech.net/forostemp/rack/server2U/final1.jpg
I installed a LCD 4x40:
http://medutech.net/forostemp/rack/server2U/LCD6.jpg
The NAS is a RAID5 + LVM (4TB total capacity)
The Xen holds 3 virtual servers:
Cerberus: an Authentication server using LDAP + SAMBA
Venus: a LAMP Webserver for testings
Perseus: I use this one for tests :D

To finish the Rack took me almost 1 year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr93k6TWKzc
last thing I did was a Fiber Carbon coat:
http://medutech.net/forostemp/rack/vinyl/IMAG0580.jpg
http://medutech.net/forostemp/rack/vinyl/IMAG0579.jpg
inside:
http://medutech.net/forostemp/rack/server2U/rackiando4.jpg

Is still unfinished I need to get an UPS and other stuff :D

johnycage
June 17th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Here's my home office setup.
Ubuntu headless server.
Used for: Web, file sharing, DLNA, XBox streaming etc.

http://youtu.be/YWycsVNFcx8

Dr_Hax
July 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM
A little bump wont do any harm would it?

My first custom built computer that i built back in 2000 found back to my hands after its journey on 2 other owners.
I gave it to my friend in 2005 when i upgraded finally to more powerful machine, but during the lifetime of the machine it had multiple motherboards and CPUs in it. Only whats left of the original build is the case.
Current specs are:
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz
3 sticks of 512MB DDR1 ram
2 320GB IDE hard drives
Unknown Asrock motherboard
Had an Asus Geforce 220 in.
350W Antec PSU

It serves currently as my main server running Ubuntu server, untill i find new motherboard for the Core2Quad
HTTP
FTP
torrent slave
teamspeak 3
openTTD server
streaming for PS3

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AAANutPNEk9bnpyfpn5Vdj-RIu5aoCwoRmQh28eeK556aw/12/42118223/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/2013-07-11%2015.23.08.jpg/0FKkkQVpGXT4KPKoaiEac0tcGVGx5xoKTNe2pmUEDtY?size=1 024x768
https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AACWOvII0H2uqprRpZ67Z4YRcn6GZtho7Qln-VklFD6VCA/12/42118223/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/2013-07-07%2022.57.35.jpg/FLDehBsvT_rxiETw2gA4i9LSs26FUXxUV0CUGO1EL6U?size=1 024x768
There was need for a little surgery to extract the broken CD drive.

DarkApollo
July 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM
2x DL380G3 2x Xeon @ 2.8GHz (ea) 6Gb (ea) all of the 72.8 (and the rogue 146) carriers hold a 300gb drive. Combined they have about 3TB of data storage.
1x GL360G4 2x Xeon @ 3.6GHz, 8Gb, 72Gb Web host
1x DL360G4p (currently not working...) 2x Xeon @ 3.6GHz, 8Gb, was a game server until it took on a mysterious no-boot issue with no health status lights (possibly bad power converter) 72Gb game server

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/kheldarq/null_zpsd7d94209.jpg
Starting the wiring
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/kheldarq/null_zps73a24506.jpg
Almost done, 2x external 1TB 'NAS' drives (just external disks attached to one of the 380's that are shared over the network) on top of the 360 provide for a total of ~5TB of network storage.
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/kheldarq/null_zps907aa5e1.jpg

Total cost of the set up:
Server closet: $150
New internals for G4p: $90
Cisco 2950 24prt: $25
4x Servers: FREE
2x 1TB drives: FREE
4prt KVM: FREE
-----------------------
$265

Roasted
July 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Nothing too special about my server in terms of looks. It's running this plain jane case here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146075

It's a fantastic case though. Lots of drive bay space and lots of ventilation. I use it at home for the following services:

Web - Apache
Cloud Storage - ownCloud
Samba - File/Print/Backup/Streams files to my Raspberry Pi (OpenELEC) HTPC
Motion - Video Surveillance
Subsonic - Music Streaming

It's running a low power i3, 60GB SSD for /, and 2x3TB WD Reds in RAID 1 via mdadm for all of the storage. The most important data on the box I have rsyncing across the LAN a few times a day to an Atom powered nettop with a 500GB HDD inside. That's just for some extra insurance in case my actual server magically blows up or the RAID tanks or whatever. I also do monthly burns to DVD of the most important data, namely pictures.

Both are running Ubuntu Server 12.04.2.

Kirk_Logan
May 3rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/warg0Lq.png

My personal server running ESXI.

-Virtualized PFSense as router
-KaliLinux just for fun
-Ubuntu Server running all the things
-Windows Server 2012 running all my steam gaming servers (starbound, chivalry, DayZ, etc.)

On the Ubuntu Server
-LAMP server
-Teamspeak 3
-Subsonic: media streaming
-Samba: Local file sharing
-FTP/SFTP
-OpenSSH
-Torrent Slave

My own scripts perform daily MySQL dumps and backup all databases, web applications, and configuration files and automatically compress and FTP them to an offsite backup server.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 4th, 2014, 03:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gAaIVO3s.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/gAaIVO3.jpg) http://i.imgur.com/xgrDPMrs.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/xgrDPMr.jpg) http://i.imgur.com/ZVXNkZ8s.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/ZVXNkZ8.jpg)

Services: apt-cacher-ng, apache2 (ownCloud), mpd, openSSH

Hardware:
old psu case (on-hand)
raspberry pi $32.99 (amazon - used like new)
16gb sd card (gskill class 6) $8.99
170pin breadboard $0.91
jumper wires $1.62
relay board $0.99
arctic F8 fan $4.79 (for future OCing)
adafruit power adapter #501 $7.97 (home made diy cable)
1k resistors $0.99
hdmi cable $1.25 (thought i would need for setup, did not)
2ft usb cable (on hand and very low quality)
Ethernet cable (32ft/10m) $2.97
toggle switch (on-hand)
erector set parts for mounting hardware (on-hand)
audio cable (diy/onhand cable)
stand offs (vga/parallel port mount screws from old motherbaords) with screws and nuts to fit them (on-hand/free)

Total cost: $62.48 (used some gift cards and a rebate card and my dad paid for the power adapter)
fan/sd card was covered by gift card
$40.73 out of pocket

Currently having issue with the nic going down when mpd is left playing for a extended period of time - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2218295&page=3

Todo:
hook fan up a way i am satisfied
fix said issue, workaround script still under testing, can only test about 1 time a day at most (edit: finished script (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2218295&page=2&p=13008640&viewfull=1#post13008640); fixed issue with kernel upgrade to 3.12.18+ via rpi-update command)
spray-paint case black (outside only) (edit: http://imgur.com/a/pqUgI )

sammiev
May 4th, 2014, 03:38 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gAaIVO3s.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/gAaIVO3.jpg)

Total cost please. ):P

Thanks for the update.

CharlesA
May 4th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Epic mod is epic.

PJs Ronin
May 4th, 2014, 07:08 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gAaIVO3s.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/gAaIVO3.jpg)

That is the sickest hack I've seen in a long, long time. About the only thing missing is a suicide cable.

QIII
May 4th, 2014, 07:14 AM
See if you can pick out which one is the server...

CharlesA
May 4th, 2014, 07:18 AM

The one on the bottom, right?!?

QIII
May 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM
You get two more tries! ;)

PJs Ronin
May 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM

Not that it's easy to tell from the outside, but I don't think any of them in the cabinet is he server.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 4th, 2014, 07:29 PM
That is the sickest hack I've seen in a long, long time. About the only thing missing is a suicide cable.
do the wire leads from the PSU count that are plugged into the breadboard

PSU -> Soldered Joint -> Micro USB
\ Leads

SeijiSensei
May 4th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Here's mine: https://manager.linode.com/

sammiev
May 4th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Here's mine: https://manager.linode.com/

This is what I see from your link.

PJs Ronin
May 5th, 2014, 12:02 AM
do the wire leads from the PSU count that are plugged into the breadboard

PSU -> Soldered Joint -> Micro USB
\ Leads

nah, I'm talking old school... 120/240v stuff. Love your setup tho :)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 5th, 2014, 12:26 AM
nah, I'm talking old school... 120/240v stuff. Love your setup tho :)
thanks, added a couple more images to the post, one is a bit blurry :(
the PSU case has a 115/230 switch on it, i made it a on/off switch for the fan (when off the pi can't turn the fan on)
the easily used toggle switch toggles the play state using mpc
it is running owncloud syncing my music library so why not make it a player also, very useful when trouble shooting sound issues or OS testing
I got my workaround script working for when the NIC goes down, still need to prevent it from going down at least it can't be down for over 60 seconds now

SeijiSensei
May 5th, 2014, 01:53 PM
This is what I see from your link.

That was the point. I only use virtual servers for Internet services these days. I do have an old Dell PowerEdge 400SC (http://www.mrnotebook.com/wh/images/poweredge/400sc/400sc_1.jpg) in my office for local files and a couple of other tasks like running a listserver. Otherwise I have no interest in owning hardware. I'd much rather let the nice folks at Linode (http://www.linode.com/) deal with power, air-conditioning, internet connectivity, and hardware maintenance than my having to do it.

sammiev
May 5th, 2014, 05:09 PM
That was the point. I only use virtual servers for Internet services these days. I do have an old Dell PowerEdge 400SC (http://www.mrnotebook.com/wh/images/poweredge/400sc/400sc_1.jpg) in my office for local files and a couple of other tasks like running a listserver. Otherwise I have no interest in owning hardware. I'd much rather let the nice folks at Linode (http://www.linode.com/) deal with power, air-conditioning, internet connectivity, and hardware maintenance than my having to do it.

Good Point. ;)

pedja2
May 7th, 2014, 03:43 AM
http://s28.postimg.org/wgcnqnhq5/server.jpg
server rack and server

James_Dwyer
June 10th, 2014, 05:58 AM
My god man, looking at that rig, you got more in aluminum scrap than the cost of the machines, well done sir, the old is new with linux!

Habitual
June 10th, 2014, 01:58 PM
This is one of ours (it's a Distributed Computing Grid)
All the pieces/parts looks like every other system out there.