PDA

View Full Version : OSX Emulation Rant

d3br074
January 8th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I feel like ranting about my attempts to get a good dock bar for ubuntu. here we go:

First I tried kiba. I liked it. It was cool enough, worked perfectly, never any problems, but then I saw kxdocker. OOOOOOOooooooOooOOOO. So I tried it out. EVENTUALLY, i managed to get it just to find that most of my configurations wouldn't save even with the store to thing. Ive downloaded and gotten kxdocker working various times with varying success though none of which successful enough to make me respect the product. I almost gave up hope when I saw Engage. I thought it couldn't hurt to give It a try. So i got it from the repo and installed it, configured it, found Icons. I loved it. It was perfect. Then during a download and a messy desktop i switched to a new desktop to have a clean slate and low and behold...Engage wasn't there. Engage only draws itsself onto one desktop. I NEED ALL FOUR OF THEM!!!!!! and so...here i find myself back at kiba dock after a long affair with seductive but toxic dock alternatives.

SO childeren let my story be a lesson to you...don't do drugs...no wait. that wasn't it.... a well.

macogw
January 8th, 2007, 06:27 AM
sudo apt-get install -y gDesklets

There's a dock in there

dbbolton
January 8th, 2007, 06:31 AM
i have personally had nothing but trouble with gdesklets

riven0
January 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Personally, I think the Gnome dock is good enough. But that's just me. :mrgreen:

spockrock
January 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Personally, I think the Gnome dock is good enough. But that's just me. :mrgreen:

umm I dunno if that is gnome dock that just looks like a transparent gnome bar with icons. gnome dock is a project based off cairo dock.

I myself use kxdocker, I was liking kiba dock, but then it just randomly died.... I am think of just installing gnome dock and seeing how that turns out.....

macogw
January 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
i have personally had nothing but trouble with gdesklets

Yeah when I tried changing how the transparency works on it, I broke it.

hanzomon4
January 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM
If only someone could port rklauncher (http://home.cogeco.ca/~rklauncher/)

podunk
January 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Try kooldock from the repos. Works perfectly with minimal set up, easy drag and drop. I use Kubuntu, I sort of suspect it will install a lot of KDE libs.

hanzomon4
January 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Tried it but it acted "strangely" may try it again later...........

darkhatter
January 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
the kcdocker in repos doesn't work for me, I tried both the edgy and Feisty

d3br074
January 9th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I'm using kiba now becuase I think it is the best for composite and multiple desktops. It is also the easiest to configure. Engage is fine except it only works with one desktop

macewan
January 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
check for build-essentials

sudo apt-get install build-essential

sudo apt-get install librsvg2-bin librsvg2-common librsvg2-dev libglitz-glx1 libglitz-glx1-dev

wget http://www.macewan.org/cairo-1.2.6.tar.gz

tar -xzf cairo-1.2.6.tar.gz

rm cair*.gz

cd cair*

./configure --enable-warnings --enable-glitz --disable-quartz --disable-atsui --disable-xcb --disable-win32 --disable-gtk-doc

make

sudo make install

cd ../

wget http://www.macewan.org/cairo-dock.tar.gz

sudo mv cairo-dock.tar.gz /opt

cd /opt

sudo tar -xzf cairo-dock.tar.gz

sudo rm cairo-dock*.gz

cd cairo-dock

sudo make clean

sudo make

./cairo-dock --no-glitz

credit goes to GPH (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302570) of Ubuntuforums

I feel like ranting about my attempts to get a good dock bar for ubuntu. here we go:

First I tried kiba. I liked it. It was cool enough, worked perfectly, never any problems, but then I saw kxdocker. OOOOOOOooooooOooOOOO. So I tried it out. EVENTUALLY, i managed to get it just to find that most of my configurations wouldn't save even with the store to thing. Ive downloaded and gotten kxdocker working various times with varying success though none of which successful enough to make me respect the product. I almost gave up hope when I saw Engage. I thought it couldn't hurt to give It a try. So i got it from the repo and installed it, configured it, found Icons. I loved it. It was perfect. Then during a download and a messy desktop i switched to a new desktop to have a clean slate and low and behold...Engage wasn't there. Engage only draws itsself onto one desktop. I NEED ALL FOUR OF THEM!!!!!! and so...here i find myself back at kiba dock after a long affair with seductive but toxic dock alternatives.

SO childeren let my story be a lesson to you...don't do drugs...no wait. that wasn't it.... a well.

eitan_a
January 13th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Hey, I just installed the cairo dock. It works except none of the icons show up!

spockrock
January 13th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Hey, I just installed the cairo dock. It works except none of the icons show up!

only works with svgs right now.

eitan_a
January 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM
yeah found that out...going to have to convert my pretty icons now (unless ppl are willing to upload their collection of SVG ones)

eitan_a
January 14th, 2007, 07:08 AM
OK, just worked for about an hour and brought over a bunch of icons, so looking pretty good!

I also want to turn off autohide. I find though, when autohide is off, a good portion of the bottom of the screen is unusable as clicking above an icon runs it. Any idea on how to fix?

Thanks!

I'll keep looking at it tomorrow and if i find a fix I'll post.