PDA

View Full Version : "Compiling" a programming tutorial thread

po0f
January 8th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Problem
A lot of threads have been cropping up about where to start with programming and language 'X'.

Solution
Let's start a master "programming tutorial" thread. Each user will post ONE language with really bold text at the top stating what language the links are relevant for. As other users find websites that they find are good candidates for a link for any given language, they'd PM the owner of that language's post the link and maybe a short description.

Hopefully we can get this stickied.

(I won't start the thread as I really don't have a sizable collection of programming links, but I have a couple of C++ links to contribute.)

Oh yeah, a couple people come to mind when it comes to certain languages; pmasiar, you get Python. Wybiral, you get C++. Any other self-proclaimed gurus of other languages, feel free to start a post with some links!

Wybiral
January 8th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I'd be glad to compile (pun intended) some C++ info and resources... But I want to make it clear that I don't favor C++ over python or assembly.

But, I agree, this is a good idea. I still think an ubuntu general programming wiki would be a good idea too.

po0f
January 8th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Wybiral,

... But I want to make it clear that I don't favor C++ over python or assembly. ...
I know, but pmasiar tends to lean towards the Python side. Usually when someone has a C++ problem, either you or when he/she's here duff tries to help out. When someone has a Python problem, pmasiar, ghostdog74 (sp? **) or you are all over it.

Feel free to pick Python as your language if you wish, it was just my opinion on who would be able to contribute more initially to those specific languages. Hopefully we can get a long list of links for all languages though.

And about a wiki... I neither have the time or resources to maintain a wiki, and I never use UDSF (http://doc.gwos.org/) (which seems to be down ATM). Plus, I think mirroring the links in two places, these forums and a wiki, will reach a wider audience. Feel free to start the wiki page, if one hasn't already been started.

[EDIT]

** Found a post with the correct spelling and changed my typo.

Wybiral
January 8th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I agree, pmasiar has more of a pythonic spirit than me, I was just stating that I am not partial to either. If a wiki doesn't exist, I would be very willing to start one, but I can't do it alone... Who else would be willing to add some links/tutorials/resources?

I know we have the gamedev wiki, but I'm thinking we need one that is not partial to any language, and is broader than game development.

pmasiar
January 8th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Anyone can get free private wiki quickly at http:www.pbwiki.com. So if you don't have one, it's **your** fault :-)

For learning resources, http://wikiversity.org/ is the canonical place to start - audience ever wider than ubuntu, just needs promotion. And http://www.wikibooks.org/ has the books...

po0f
January 8th, 2007, 07:34 AM
pmasiar,

You're kinda missing the point. We need something here that we can point users to when they ask questions about learning a programming language. Yes, the posts can contain links to wikis, but users need to know that such wikis exist.

If no one starts the thread soon, I will. (Better hurry up!)

Wybiral
January 8th, 2007, 07:38 AM
What should the title of the post be? I'll go ahead and start it with some C++ links if thats cool. Or... Po0f, why don't you start it explaining it's purpose and such, and then I will post my C++ reply afterwards. Anyone who wants me to add something to the C++ reply can PM me the link as you mentioned.

po0f
January 8th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Wybiral,

I guess "Master Programming Tutorial Thread" would suffice. If we can convince a mod to sticky it for us and don't like the name, I'm sure if we asked extra nice they'd change it for us. :)

Go ahead and start it, I'm firing off a PM to you shortly.

Something else I just thought of, the format for links. Maybe something like the following?
Link name (beginner|intermediate|advanced): short description

ghostdog74
January 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM
just curious, but can we can do this as a sticky ?
then how about organising the thread into sub-categories, like C/C++ ,Python, Ruby , Java , etc...so othat ppl can ask questions or search for answers in the correct place..
just a thought.

po0f
January 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM
ghostdog74,

My intention is to get this thread (not this thread, but the tutorial thread) stickied.

As I posted above, the posters to the thread will cover one programming language. Let's say you were to post about Python. You kick it off with your Python links. Anyone else that wants to see a Python link would ideally PM them to you for inclusion in your original post. That way, all the links will be in one thread, and all the language-specific links will be in individual posts in that thread.

Wybiral
January 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Ok, I'll keep adding to it the more links I find and if anyone PMs me something... So, who's next?