PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question But

RZero
January 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Hello there Ive just installed Ubuntu and I am learning shell scripting, Ive been using VIM to write them, I save them chmod a+x then move them into my bin in my home dir but when I run the script ie $: test1
it keeps telling me that the command cannot be found, I can run them in the bin folder using ./test1 but no where else :( Is there some thing I need to do ? I used to use Suse and use freeBSD while at work, both of which would work once I carried out the chmod and moved it into the bin so I am at a loss to what I'm doing wrong

thanks

Mick

Mirrorball
January 6th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Is it really in ~/bin? Open ~/.bash_profile and check if these lines are there:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi

RZero
January 6th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Yup its in my home bin, Im using #!/bin/sh on the opening line of the script if that helps

Mirrorball
January 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
What is the output of:

echo $PATH

Woodgar
January 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I had a similar problem.

However, after a little looking around I discovered that /home/woodgar/bin was not in my default $PATH. After adding it, as suggested by Mirrorball, everything worked just fine.

RZero
January 7th, 2007, 12:31 AM
echo $PATH

is blank

in the .bash_profile

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
fi

is in there

take it I have to add my path into it ?

Mirrorball
January 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
PATH really shouldn't be blank. :-k Log out and log in again?

RZero
January 7th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Ok done that and it shows:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

:confused:

Mirrorball
January 7th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Run this first:

And then your test script.

RZero
January 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Run this first:

And then your test script.

Thank you thats done the trick :D

RZero
January 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Spoke to soon :( it runs the scritp but it does not reconise the commands in the scritp, simple ones like sort and sed, after I try issue simple shell command like ls and it returns command not found I have to quit the shell and start again :(

Mirrorball
January 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM
This really shouldn't have been happenning. Create another user account, logout, login as that user, and test the script.