PDA

View Full Version : username/avatar - a little forum psychology

m.musashi
January 6th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I've been a semi-regular member here for a little over a year now and I "see" some members quite often. So much so in fact that they begin to develop a personality. Recently I noticed that that personality was partly tied to their avatar and username. This became apparent when someone I was "familiar" with changed their avatar. The effect was mildly discomforting - perhaps not unlike a friend getting a face transplant (they can do that now). So I started wondering what the relationship was between the username/avatar and the face behind the mask. I remember a thread where members posted a real picture of themselves (with their ubuntu I think). It was interesting to see that most did not match what I expected. There is probably a psych dissertation in here somewhere :).

Anyway, I've seen some similar threads but none that ask why people chose the username/avatar they did and if they are still happy with it or would like to change it (or maybe with the avatar at least they did). I suspect most are likely a reflection of an interest or hobby, but I was wondering if we couldn't go a bit further. I'd also like to know how some of you pronounce your username. I have developed a way of reading them but I suspect it isn't the same as most of you intended.

By way of explanation, I'll go first...

I don't remember what I originally wanted for a username but I remember it wasn't available. I'm not sure why I chose musashi but I am a fan of Kurosawa films and I had probably watched one recently. The funny thing is I don't think Kurosawa ever did a film on Musashi Miyamoto but someone did and I have the trilogy. Mifune Toshiro stared in that film and he is also a regular in Kurosawa films so that was probably the connection. I also thought Musashi was a pretty cool guy (read the book of five rings if you have a chance). Anyway, I was in need of help and needed to register so when my first choice wasn't available this popped into my head. I wanted to be just simply "musashi" but that was taken too - although I've never once seen a post by a musashi. So I added the m. in front so I could get some help. As for the avatar, I just searched for a picture of Musashi and came across a drawing which I used for a few weeks. I decided I didn't like it and changed to one of Mifune (I actually don't know which film it's from). I had to change it again when it disappeared for some reason. I couldn't find the same one again so I went with the current one. If you don't know how to pronounce Japanese names, a somewhat phonetic spelling of mine would be moo-saw-she. If I could, I'd change my username to something closer to my real name but I'd have to re-register and lose all my beans. That wouldn't be any fun. I'd also like to lose the m. in front. Can any mod fix that for me?

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

fuscia
January 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
my name is 'fuscia' (just 'fuscia', like 'madonna') and that is me in my av (someone said they thought i was dead, so i just went along with it, for a joke).

Biggus
January 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
My avatar and username are taken from a character in an incredibly funny film.

He has a wife you know.

m.musashi
January 6th, 2007, 07:07 PM
My avatar and username are taken from a character in an incredibly funny film.

He has a wife you know.

Excellent. That really brings back good memories.

m.musashi
January 6th, 2007, 07:10 PM
my name is 'fuscia' (just 'fuscia', like 'madonna') and that is me in my av (someone said they thought i was dead, so i just went along with it, for a joke).

You know, I kind of figured you would be the first to reply. I wonder who has the record for the most hours logged on the forum?

However, you are not getting to the psychology of it all. Why "fuscia"? Did you misspell the color or is it something altogether different?

EDIT: and how to you pronounce it? Like the color or something else?

Lord Illidan
January 6th, 2007, 07:10 PM
My username and avatar are based on a game, Warcraft 3..

I am teh Lord!

GermanFafian
January 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Well I used to go by another name, but I found someone else using it in several places. Now I just use my real name and my avatar is my nature-given ugly mug :twisted:
I just stopped trying to hide myself behind a Boa Constrictor picture/avatar.

m.musashi
January 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I liked your old signature. Are you no longer the only Maltese on the forum?

fuscia
January 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Why "fuscia"? Did you misspell the color...?

i certainly did. whenever i would order a gatorade at the golf course i used to play at, they

would ask which color? i would respond 'fuscia' (or, however tf it's spelled).

m.musashi
January 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
fuchsia. I had to look it up. Do they make fuchsia gatorade? And did the flunky behind the counter even get something close to purple for you (fuchsia is a kind of purple, right?)?

EDIT: I think there should be a link to your avatar on wikipedia. That would really mess with some people.

Lord Illidan
January 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I liked your old signature. Are you no longer the only Maltese on the forum?

Apparently there are a few more...though I don't think there are a lot, possibly 10 at most. I am the most active, I think. I need some ideas for a sig, though.

RandomJoe
January 6th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I was using "RecumbentJoe" on some cycling email lists and sites, but when I started registering at other forums too many people didn't know what a recumbent bicycle was and I got tired of being asked... I liked the sound of "I'm just some random Joe..." (Joe being my name) so I went with RandomJoe.

The avatar pic is my current recumbent bicycle.

fuscia
January 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
fuchsia. I had to look it up. Do they make fuchsia gatorade? And did the flunky behind the counter even get something close to purple for you (fuchsia is a kind of purple, right?)?

there's a flavor that's kind of pinkish red.

http://www.3-form.com/images/action/fuchsia-1.jpg

roderikk
January 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM
So much so in fact that they begin to develop a personality. Recently I noticed that that personality was partly tied to their avatar and username.

That is so true!! :-)

My nick is just my name and since someone usually already has the name with a single K I append the first letter of my last name :-).

It may sound strange but I hang at these forums way to often and at a certain moment you just 'get to know' the 'non-lurking' people who frequent it. Hm, does this sound creepy......? :rolleyes:

Imagine this forum being something in real life, we all would be stalkers... Anyway, my mind is rambling and I gotta go. BTW are we at the 2 millionth post already??

EDIT: no... wonder what the post rate is though and when we will achieve our 2millionth post. OFFTOPIC: does the amount of posting actually say something about the community per se or just that ubuntu users need lots of help... :-)

m.musashi
January 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
does the amount of posting actually say something about the community per se or just that ubuntu users need lots of help... :-)

Probably a bit of both but if the community wasn't so helpful, no one would be asking.

electricshoes
January 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
electricshoes was just a little band me and my brother had when we were kids, and i like robots. \\:D/

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
My username stems from a couple of years ago. I was getting a new gmail address, and one that I wanted to keep for a good while, so I had to think of something that reflected who I was; and maniacmusician was the first thing I came up with. It wasn't taken, so voila, that became my new internet alias.

My avatar is a particularly flattering picture of my idol; one of them at least. I don't really feel like getting into it too much because it always ends up with someone wanting to take a crack at it, and it escalates from there. I'll just end it by saying that he's probably not an idol of mine because of the reasons most people would think he is.

m. musashi; I always thought you were japanese because of your username. haha I just looked and saw you live in colorado...I completely agree with what you said in your first post. Whenever someone changes their avatar, I experience a bit of cognitive dissonance for the next week or two until I get used to it again.

d3v1ant_0n3
January 6th, 2007, 08:28 PM
My name comes from one I've used in online games for a few years, which in turn comes from an old yahoo chat name I had. Various friends of mine have had d3v1ant_tw0, _thr33, etc also...

I'm not particularly deviant, nor 1337. The use of leetspeak in my name was sarcastic at the time. Then it just stuck.

My avatar is...um...a bit dull really. I should make a new one.

kebes
January 6th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Actually up until a few moments ago I didn't have an avatar. This thread prompted me to finally set one... which I've been meaning to do for awhile now. It's true that after awhile you 'get to know' certain avatar/nick combos and they feel quite familiar. Like a real face, at first I look closely, but eventually they are familiar and I don't really think about what the image is, I simply 'recognize' the person.

That being the case I thought it was important to put some sort of image (doesn't really matter what it is!).

My username is a nickname I've had all my life. The avatar I've put up is an image I took with an atomic force microscope of some materials I study. I selected it kinda randomly for my gmail icon awhile ago... and so now I just consider it "my representation."

m.musashi
January 6th, 2007, 08:50 PM
My avatar is a particularly flattering picture of my idol; one of them at least. I don't really feel like getting into it too much because it always ends up with someone wanting to take a crack at it, and it escalates from there. I'll just end it by saying that he's probably not an idol of mine because of the reasons most people would think he is.

m. musashi; I always thought you were japanese because of your username. haha I just looked and saw you live in colorado...I completely agree with what you said in your first post. Whenever someone changes their avatar, I experience a bit of cognitive dissonance for the next week or two until I get used to it again.

I'm afraid I don't recognize the person in the avatar. Could you give a name? I promise not to make any comments.

Nope, I'm 100% Colorado native but I did live in Japan for 5 years so I suppose I did turn a bit Japanese (hey, who wrote that song?).

Randomskk
January 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
The base of my username, random, came from the first game I played multiplayer; Red Faction.
At the time kills were announced like "<someone> was killed by <someone>" and some people were using smart names like 'ur mum' to get the effect of:

SomeGuy0345 was killed by ur mum

Anyway I decided "random" for that, it worked ok, I stopped playing RF a few weeks later.
I kept the name though, and it's been fairly good, and I like it.
However, typically (this first happened WAY back when I started playing Runescape) Random is taken, so in that case I use randomskk. The SKK doesn't stand for anything, it's just an ergonomic extension to "random" on a qwerty keyboard.

Since alternating hands type keys quicker (see dvorak), the first letter is S. After "RANDOM", your left hand is on the D, so moving to S is very quick. Then you alternate back to the right hand, which is on M, and moving to K is easy. K is repeated since right hand's stronger, quickly to type the same key twice, and I didn't like "sk".

So in the end I get randomskk, which is quick to type (mostly it's all alternating hands (especially when using right-shift for capital R) ), I've never seen another randomskk (and neither has google), and I still use Random when I can.

My website's randomskk.net, but my email address is random@.

The avatar's an extension of a hobby; networking is fun and the avatar is a crop of a picture (http://randomskk.net/uploads/servers/dark/Image154.jpg) of my switches in the dark.

matthew
January 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM
This is a fun topic that comes around occasionally...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=111815
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186183

Mine changes every few months. This one is from a 1978 album cover...yep, I still have the original on vinyl. I like psychedelic influenced art.

tbroderick
January 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here. No avatar and I use my name Timothy Broderick = tbroderick. I kinda like it if everyone was forced to use their name rather then a nick. I think it helps cut down on flames and is a little more professional. It's kinda hard taking someone serious if they are named "h4x0rd00d" or something like that.

sanderella
January 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Some Ethiopian ladies couldn't pronounce my name, so this is what they called me.

azkehmm
January 6th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Well... Azkehmm comes from an old nickname from boarding school, B.J. Arke, which I tried to write while drunk. My roommate thought it looked like Azkehmm, and everyone just called me that afterwards. After boarding school I started to use it as my webname and it has stuck with me for 7 years now. Chances are, if you run into Azkehmm someplace else, it could be me :).

I don't have an avatar, mostly because all the cool ones I've seen, doesn't fit on all the other forums I'm on, and I like to use the same stuff all around... :)

seijuro
January 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm also a Mifune fan but thanks in part to the .hack game/anime series Sanjuro is WAAAY over populated as a username. I chose Seijuro instead as it is a chacter from the anime series Rurouni Kenshin with simmilar qualities but much less popular in name sake. My avatar is the character Yuda from the Samurai Spirits game series which shares characteristics of my personality and my perception of myself. You probably already know how to pronounce it but for those who do not it is Say-joo-row.

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm afraid I don't recognize the person in the avatar. Could you give a name? I promise not to make any comments.

Nope, I'm 100% Colorado native but I did live in Japan for 5 years so I suppose I did turn a bit Japanese (hey, who wrote that song?).
haha I can tell that you're intelligent enough not to start a pointless argument, it's just not all people are like that.

The picture is of Kurt Cobain; after you get past his incessant and self-indulgant drug use and the fact that he offed himself (or did he? lots of theories about that :rolleyes: haha), he was actually a pretty cool guy. He had great ideologies and thoughts about the dynamics of modern society. He was also a moderate (aka intelligent) feminist. Also pro-choice, into gay rights, etc, many of the same beliefs that I hold. It also helps that I like his music (after you get past the raw-ness of it; ie, if you think Nevermind was their best album...well...:rolleyes: ). People just tend not to focus on these aspects of him.

ah well, i've gone on a rant, just like I said I wouldn't.

RAV TUX
January 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I've been a semi-regular member here for a little over a year now and I "see" some members quite often. So much so in fact that they begin to develop a personality. Recently I noticed that that personality was partly tied to their avatar and username. This became apparent when someone I was "familiar" with changed their avatar. The effect was mildly discomforting - perhaps not unlike a friend getting a face transplant (they can do that now). So I started wondering what the relationship was between the username/avatar and the face behind the mask. I remember a thread where members posted a real picture of themselves (with their ubuntu I think). It was interesting to see that most did not match what I expected. There is probably a psych dissertation in here somewhere :).

Anyway, I've seen some similar threads but none that ask why people chose the username/avatar they did and if they are still happy with it or would like to change it (or maybe with the avatar at least they did). I suspect most are likely a reflection of an interest or hobby, but I was wondering if we couldn't go a bit further. I'd also like to know how some of you pronounce your username. I have developed a way of reading them but I suspect it isn't the same as most of you intended.

By way of explanation, I'll go first...

I don't remember what I originally wanted for a username but I remember it wasn't available. I'm not sure why I chose musashi but I am a fan of Kurosawa films and I had probably watched one recently. The funny thing is I don't think Kurosawa ever did a film on Musashi Miyamoto but someone did and I have the trilogy. Mifune Toshiro stared in that film and he is also a regular in Kurosawa films so that was probably the connection. I also thought Musashi was a pretty cool guy (read the book of five rings if you have a chance). Anyway, I was in need of help and needed to register so when my first choice wasn't available this popped into my head. I wanted to be just simply "musashi" but that was taken too - although I've never once seen a post by a musashi. So I added the m. in front so I could get some help. As for the avatar, I just searched for a picture of Musashi and came across a drawing which I used for a few weeks. I decided I didn't like it and changed to one of Mifune (I actually don't know which film it's from). I had to change it again when it disappeared for some reason. I couldn't find the same one again so I went with the current one. If you don't know how to pronounce Japanese names, a somewhat phonetic spelling of mine would be moo-saw-she. If I could, I'd change my username to something closer to my real name but I'd have to re-register and lose all my beans. That wouldn't be any fun. I'd also like to lose the m. in front. Can any mod fix that for me?

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

this subject matter is very similar to this old thread....
post a bigger more detailed picture of your avatar and explain it....
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223172&highlight=avatar

Since this thread is also asking for an explanation of the avatar....I will merge the two

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2007, 10:26 PM
this subject matter is very similar to this old thread....
post a bigger more detailed picture of your avatar and explain it....

Since this thread is also asking for an explanation of the avatar....I will merge the two
ah no, don't do that, that just kind of ruins a good thread! this thread is more sentimentally oriented, I think it'd be a mistake to merge.

RAV TUX
January 6th, 2007, 10:27 PM
ah no, don't do that, that just kind of ruins a good thread! this thread is more sentimentally oriented, I think it'd be a mistake to merge.
OK....no merger by request.;)...

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2007, 10:28 PM
woohoo! [hugs RAV TUX]

PriceChild
January 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Mine is my emblem on Halo2, an xbox live game :P

Who wins, pirates or ninjas?

-wrong!!! the correct answer is flaming ninjas!

OK....no merger by request.;)...yay *hugs*

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2007, 10:34 PM
you forgot your username explanation! ;)

PriceChild
January 6th, 2007, 10:51 PM
you forgot your username explanation! ;)pfft... I was getting to that, just wanted to keep you guessing a while...

PriceChild, child of Price, comes from a one-liner in-joke from several years back... "you wouldn't understand" ;)

RAV TUX
January 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
woohoo! [hugs RAV TUX]
this has to be the second member hug I have recieved....much appreciated [hugs back]

My "new" Avatar is an actual picture of a Rare White Lion, I found online....unfortunately I didn't save the source, but I believe I did an image search by the Internet command line(accesible via YubNub)

s.i white lion

I forgot why I was specifically looking for a white lion picture at the time....I was so moved by this one...his character, strength, and earnestness.....I felt reflective of mine....as if I was looking into a symbolic image of myself

So we have empirical validation of forum psychology self actualization....

Also I have always loved the nobleness of a Lion,....especially White Lions....symbolic of purity, honesty, and strength...which I find are attributes I embody.

Another bonus correlation which like layers of an onion; is another layer of many meanings, of why I choose the Lion is partially Ethnic....in being Sephardic....I felt the lion was a good representation of the "Lion of Judah". While this not so much a reason but more an after thought, but it may have been an unconscience contributing factor. At least a validating factor of when you make a change; "I like it, This is another good reason to keep it".

About my username, which changed.(which I don't believe is done anymore, except maybe for staff,...there must be a reference somewhere for this policy).

Originally my user name was Yozef, a phonetic spelling of my Hebrew name: Jozef....I had originally requested the change be made from Yozef to Jozef....unfortunately by this time Jozef was taken.

So I left it the same,.....then I was inspired one day to make a custom Tux, which I called RAV TUX....he was a combination of multiple Tux characters....

I will try to edit more details about RAV TUX

EDIT:

RAV TUX Avatar

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5897/avatar4498627vm8wm2.png (http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5897/avatar4498627vm8wm2.png)

He is a combination of many TUX characters....beard from Gandalf Tux, Eyeglasses from Harry Potter Tux, Hat from Rabbi Tux, and body from Devil/Angel Tux, and his beak from a Random Tux...I call him RAV TUX.

....I was inspired by the french Tux website and they had both a Jew Tux and a Rabbi Tux...but neither looked good so I made mine: RAV TUX.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rav

Rav
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rav (Heb. רב) is the Hebrew word for rabbi. For a more nuanced discussion see semicha. In Talmudic literature this word could also refer to a master of a slave. The term is also frequently used by Orthodox Jews to refer to one's own rabbi.

In the Talmud, Rav or Rab is a common name for Abba Arika, the first Amora, who established the great yeshiva at Sura (city), which, using the Mishnah as text, led to the compilation of the Talmud.

In Ashkenazi Haredi Judaism, it can be pronounced as Rov, or in Hasidic circles, using the Hungarian or Polish pronunciation of Hebrew, as Ruv. In some Hasidic groups, the Rebbe is also referred to as the ruv; in other circles, the ruv is distinct from the rebbe and is the highest dayan (judge) of the group.

The term Rav is also a generic term for a teacher or a personal spiritual guide. Thus, the Talmud tells us that "Joshua ben Perachyah said: Provide for yourself a teacher." [1] In recent times the importance of following this instruction has been emphasized by the Lubavitcher Rebbe. [2]

From the 16th Century, "Rav" or "The Rav" generally referred to Rabbi Obadiah ben Abraham (or Ovadia of Bartenura), Rav being an Acronym for the Hebrew, Rabbi Ovadia of Bartenura (רעב) which could also be vowelized "Rav."

It is an age-old tradition that as a sign of great respect, some great rabbis are simply called "The Rav." In recent times, in different circles, "The Rav" may refer to:
Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liadi
Rabbi Joseph Soloveitchik
Rabbi Moshe Feinstein
Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook
Rabbi Ovadia Yosef

So like my Avatar, my user name:RAV TUX....is a symbolic representation of my Ethinicity, as being Sephardic but more so I connect with the symbolism of the noble character of the White Lion that I embody and constantly strive for.

My White Lion is a peacful Lion,...that is wise and understanding and longs for world peace for all mankind and loves hugs.

OrangeCrate
January 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Interesting and entertaining thread. I hope more people will participate...

The original orange crate was a tricked out custom orange '72 Dodge van. The current orange crate is a custom painted dark burnt orange Harley Fat Boy. (Yup, a severely split personality.)

The avatar has no meaning. I just like Peter Max's art, though I have to admit, that I do see his stuff in a different "light", than I did back in the '60s and 70's. ;)

Update:

Now using a custom avatar made by a commercial artist friend, and the Harley has been replaced with a BMW.

RAV TUX
January 6th, 2007, 11:08 PM

The original orange crate was a tricked out custom orange '72 Dodge van. The current orange crate is a custom painted dark burnt orange Harley Fat Boy. (Yup, a severely split personality.)

The avatar has no meaning. I just like Peter Max's art, though I have to admit, that I do see his stuff in a different "light", than I did back in the '60s and 70's. ;)

I have to say you are an awesome artist....I like that better then Peter Max's work....your use of color is poetic! and moving!

Simply Awesome!

OrangeCrate
January 6th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I have to say you are an awesome artist....I like that better then Peter Max's work....your use of color is poetic! and moving!

Simply Awesome!

RAV TUX - I wish I could paint like Peter Max, but unfortunately I can't. That is a new poster by Peter Max, as I've given credit for in my signature.

RAV TUX
January 6th, 2007, 11:20 PM
RAV TUX - I wish I could paint like Peter Max, but unfortunately I can't. That is a new poster by Peter Max, as I've given credit for in my signature.

ahhh My mistake...then I have to say that is my favorite Peter Max I have seen.....

but I would like to review more of his work, do you have a link?

delfick
January 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
i liked Rav Tux's previous avatar better :D :p

my name is slightly odd.....many years ago i was playing some game with a friend of mine (i think it was a golf game, not too sure) and somehow my friend pronounced default as delfick........

after that i kept the name, when gta2 came out i used delfick as my name for that....

when we got the internet, my brother set up an email address for me (i didn't know how to anything back then :P) and he set it up as delfick755@hotmail.com ......and so delfick has become my internet alias, i use it everywhere :D

so if you see delfick (or delfick755) somewhere it's most probably me :D

my avatar sort of reflects me.....i'm not bigheaded, and i don't have a small body, but i am a bit crazy.. :D

i think it comes from the fact that i can't draw, and so if i draw a person, it's a stick figure, and somehow i came up with it (infact i only came up with it this year i think) probably...i think that being helped by the fact this year was year 12 and i spent a lot of time just sitting there drawing random things while trying to think of how to do something (i.e. homework).....

:D

(and just incase one day i change my avatar and this doesn't make sense, i'll attach my avatar :D)

OrangeCrate
January 6th, 2007, 11:26 PM
...do you have a link?

Sure, see here:

http://www.petermax.com/

I found "Sunset" in the "Card" section at the top of the page. I especially like "Space" too.

bastiegast
January 6th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I came with my username when I was eleven or something [-( It's such an shameful name, I hate it. In English its like a combination of my real name (Bastiaan) and 'dude'. bastidude literally.

But since it's so unique and stupid no one ever uses it so I can use it for everything. If you ever see a bastiegast somewhere it will probably be me. And Im too lazy to think of another one, but I will one day! Hope I can change my username here on the forums otherwise I will be starting a new life on the internet :p

As for my avatar, it's a picture of our beloved pet. I thought it was a nice picture, I'll change it in the future I think.

DrZuckerbrot
January 6th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah, it's a real interesting topic, the psychology of forum avatars. What are our intentions, our motives using avatars and what makes us choose certain "Alter Egos"....like mine from Louis de Funes combined with the name of the crazy sex doctor from the movie "Buddy Buddy" ,played by famous german actor Klaus Kinski...... so maybe I'd like to be ...funny, famous, ....and a sex doctor! maybe I am! ;) ...probably someone will write a dissertation in the near future ;)

sloggerkhan
January 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hey there. My avatar is because I like the Southwest (region of the USA). It has a lot to offer. (I think I went off about the Southwest for like a page on the a "describe your country" thread. :rolleyes: :D )

Anyhow, my name is sorta an evolution.
In games, starting with Warcraft II, I went by Rathfulkhan (and played orcs a lot.)
Iterations of my name you may see:
Rathfulkhan
Sloggerkhan
Slogger

The reasons for these names are 2 fold: I have always enjoyed reading about the Mongol Hordes and Genghis Khan, and find their balance of coldblooded efficiency and relative cultural tolerance intriguing. I have a lot to say about the Mongols, and think they get a little too negative of a rap often times. Not only that, the image of an angry Mongol Khan putting an impudent city to the knife is perfect for playing Orcs in Warcraft II.

Slogger is a name I use because I think it a a slight description of me. I tend to slog through stuff slightly obsessively and then drop it. Like I just read 2 books straight through. I have a tendency to prefer doing things in one drawn out run rather than break them into parts or manage them effectively, in other words, to 'slog' through them. If I am in the middle of doing something and I don't finish at once, I can forget about it, or feel like I've lost my train of thought when I come back to it.

The reason I use slogger sometimes is that it is shorter to type than Sloggerkhan.

MaximB
January 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM
ok, I already posted about my avatar in earlier thread :
"this beautifull work of art has been done with the help of open-source, free as freedom BLENDER3D. (www.blender3d.org)
it is a great free program for 3d modeling and animation
a little hard to learn - but limitless.
I don't know the name of the artist who has done this picture.
but if he pops up - I won't be mind telling you that ;) ."
bigger picture of my avatar (http://img69.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skeletonqg3.jpg)

now about my username
long time ago I registered an email account under the name of "MAXDDARK" and it stuck ever since
in almost every forum I register I use that username
it pronounced "max the dark" - just making it shorter ;)
max is my name (it's actually maxim but making long name short)
dark was my soul :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
but now I'm all about love (and no, I haven't "found" Jesus).

P.S
seijuro - I really like the samurai shodown game series, Genjuro Kibagami rocks ! (after Basara :D).

Titi
January 6th, 2007, 11:52 PM
haha I can tell that you're intelligent enough not to start a pointless argument, it's just not all people are like that.

The picture is of Kurt Cobain; after you get past his incessant and self-indulgant drug use and the fact that he offed himself (or did he? lots of theories about that :rolleyes: haha), he was actually a pretty cool guy. He had great ideologies and thoughts about the dynamics of modern society. He was also a moderate (aka intelligent) feminist. Also pro-choice, into gay rights, etc, many of the same beliefs that I hold. It also helps that I like his music (after you get past the raw-ness of it; ie, if you think Nevermind was their best album...well...:rolleyes: ). People just tend not to focus on these aspects of him.

yeah, i always had the idea kurt cobain was more than the drug addict everyone took him for. as for the best nirvana album, i go for in utero although i must admit i haven't listened much to the older albums. bleach etc. probably because they didn't seem that good. and i like unplugged in NY, but that's not really an album i guess.

on topic now:
Titi is how a friend used to call me in highschool. it's derived from my surname, tytgat. not many people used that name though. until i went to uni and someone asked me what my nickname was. so i told him what i just said. and then everyone started calling me Titi. or even Tit. on forums i usually use Ti though because it sounds less silly. but apparently here you need to have more than 2 letters or it was already taken or something.
and my avatar is just me with some basic photoshopping.

Sammi
January 7th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Sammi is my IRL nick, that some people use. I don't want to be a made up and fake online person, that's why I've chosen something personal and honest.

But I don't feel comfiterble with my face on every post. Same reason, as to why I don't use my real name. I don't want it to be completely obvious to just anybody who I am. People who ask personally for my real name, MSN or e-mail get it though.

I wanted to use something nice and amusing as my avatar. So I decided to go for a cartoon character, and Daffy Duck was the first cool one I could think of.
But since then I've come to think that the pic of him, that I use, shows a a bit to aggressive and almost threatening expression. This was not the original idea :(

seijuro
January 7th, 2007, 12:30 AM
P.S
seijuro - I really like the samurai shodown game series, Genjuro Kibagami rocks ! (after Basara :D).

My favorite characters to play with were Hanzo, Genjuro, and Haohmaru in that order. An interesting side bit about Genjuro is he is based on the Japanese Hanafuda card game.

ZankerH
January 7th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I'm not too creative, so my username is just my family name and the first letter of my first name.

m.musashi
January 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Jezz, now I feel stupid. I think I was in my later undergrad years when Nirvana became a big sensation. I probably should have recognize the picture but for some reason I kept thinking it was from an SNL sketch or something (I actually don't watch that any more but that is what it reminded me of). I think there are a lot of interesting people with large ideas that are often misunderstood or not understood at all. I have a lot of respect for people who think like that but I also have a lot of respect the average Joe who understands where they are coming from. For me, John Lennon was like that (I was only 13 when he died, btw). I don't think a lot of people "got" him either. Maybe that's another thread topic.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

OK....no merger by request.;)...

Thanks for not merging. I did a search before I posted this and I didn't see quite what I was interested in - you know, the person behind the mask, why we choose to represent ourselves a certain way. I know a lot is kind of spur of the moment, at least mine was, but I'm seeing a lot of history behind usernames and some people have some pretty interesting reasons for their avatar. I think it's both fun and also a sort of serious look at ourselves and each other. For example, I've always thought maniacmusician had some interesting insights (as do many many others) and his post above helped explain that.

Anyway, enough seriousness. On with the fun. I'm still waiting to hear from a few more long time members...

matthew
January 7th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I did a search before I posted this and I didn't see quite what I was interested in - you know, the person behind the mask, why we choose to represent ourselves a certain way.

Anyway, enough seriousness. On with the fun. I'm still waiting to hear from a few more long time members...My earlier post didn't quite fulfill your desires.

This is probably avatar number 10 for me on the forums and I think it may be the first where a guitar is not included. I'm attaching a few of my earlier ones in chronological order. The day I chose my current one I was feeling whimsical, artistic, a little spacey, and in desperate need of large bubbles for hair.

RAV TUX
January 7th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Sure, see here:

http://www.petermax.com/

I found "Sunset" in the "Card" section at the top of the page. I especially like "Space" too.

Thanks for the link.

OrangeCrate
January 7th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the link.

:)

m.musashi
January 7th, 2007, 01:23 AM
My earlier post didn't quite fulfill your desires.

This is probably avatar number 10 for me on the forums and I think it may be the first where a guitar is not included. I'm attaching a few of my earlier ones. The day I chose this one I was feeling whimsical, artistic, a little spacey, and in desperate need of large bubbles for hair.

For some reason, that second avatar (anime dude with beard I don't know the character) is kind of how I imagined you looked - only more human. Maybe that was just the first one you were using when I first started on the forum. Whatever happened to those characters? It seemed for a while most or all of the forum staff were using different ones. And where are they from?

maniacmusician
January 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM
For some reason, that second avatar (anime dude with beard I don't know the character) is kind of how I imagined you looked - only more human. Maybe that was just the first one you were using when I first started on the forum. Whatever happened to those characters? It seemed for a while most or all of the forum staff were using different ones. And where are they from?
anime dude? looks like a modified powerpuff girl to me :)

TheRingmaster
January 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I got my name from the second "joker's card" from the Insane Clown Posse.

I just love the avatar I have now. I got it from here. ringmaster (http://www.angusbungay.com/gals/suggestions/lifesize%20heads/pages/ringmaster.html)

macogw
January 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
I was given the nickname Maco in 5th grade (my first name is Mackenzie), but I think the board wanted 6 letters, so I added gw to the end as I go to GWU. Other times online i've added afi because they're my favourite band. My avatar is the cover of The Aggrolites most recent cd. I picked it because I love ska and reggae, and they're a really good skinhead* reggae band.

*If you think skinheads are racist, you need a history lesson. The first skinheads were British dockworkers who worked and hung out with Jamaicans. They were basically football hooligans. They kind of started the shift from rocksteady to reggae and it all funneled back to Jamaica. Jamaican rude boys (gangsters) in the early days of ska also shaved their heads (by some accounts, Bob Marley included--Rastafarianism hadn't reached Jamaica yet), so maybe the skins in Britain were copying them, but baldness had an advantage on the docks in that it prevented lice. After a while, some neo-Nazis saw how rough-n-tumble the football hooligans were and recruited some of them to their side with promises of a socialist utopia. Not all switched though. There are plenty of SHARPs (SkinHeads Against Racial Prejudice) to be found (a few of my friends are SHARPs).

yabbadabbadont
January 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM
My username is a variation of Fred Flintstone's trademark phrase. A slightly darker, more cynical version. ;)

My avatar is a "Gentoo Bubble Icon" that I created using the Fluxbox logo. Since I'm a Fluxbox addict, it suits me. (I'm not really an addict, I can stop using Fluxbox anytime I want... :lol:)

pmj
January 7th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I don't have an avatar. What does that say about me?

My name is just one I made up for this forum and FreeNode. PMJ are just my initials, and it can be pronounced however you want.

Hm, maybe I should finally choose an avatar...

seijuro
January 7th, 2007, 02:01 AM
anime dude? looks like a modified powerpuff girl to me :)

It is a powerpuff girl, and judging by the facial hair on steroids?

jk

slimdog360
January 7th, 2007, 02:04 AM
My dogs name is slim and the 360 because on a few other websites 'slimdog' is already taken so the 360 became part of a standard.
The avatar because, like Musashi, Im a big fan of Kurosawa films. The seven samurai and yojimbo are my favourites, since Musashi already had Yojimbo in his I took the seven samurai.

I love the scene at the start of Yojimbo where he goes to town on those bad guys.

roderikk
January 7th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Found a great site for Wallpaper http://my.opera.com/michaeljung/albu...w.dml?id=37505

Wow! Those are indeed great wallpapers! BTW this thread also just inspired me to add an avatar... in the spur of the moment ;-).

viper
January 7th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Interesting how we get used to peoples avatars and find a sense of familiarity. Well i know i do. :)
My user name has a few meanings for me, firstly when i was a kid while on holidays in Europe i must have been about 10 years old (1973) i was walking next to a creek with a few of my cousins, a snake came out of the water and wrapped itself around my left foot and bit me just on the ankle, i recall it hurt like all f#@k. The nurse at the hospital gave me a photo of a Viper, from then on i had a fascination and respect for snakes. No pets though, besides my wife would kill me if i bought one home for a pet (have pondered on it though ;) ).
Kids at school after seeing the scar on my ankle started calling me "viper", the nick name kinda stuck, later on i had a tribal tattoo done to cover up the scars (yeah everyone always said why didn't you get a tattoo of a snake!) i felt back then it would be too much of a cliche.
Also i liked the Colonial Viper`s in Battlestar Galactica when i was a kid, always used to draw them any opportunity i got.
The avatar thing is from an interest i have that many people simply laugh at, about 15 years ago a found a book called Communion by Whitley Strieber, fascinating read, from then on i have always pondered on the idea that we can not be alone. ( debate for another time!)
Well thats about it.
Cool thread m.musashi, i thought you were Japanese also, maybe people think i am an alien too......................you never know!!!!!!!;)

queen_yoshi
January 7th, 2007, 03:59 AM
My username is from Yoshi from Nintendo fame I always played Yoshi in classics such as Mario Cart etc! The queen part was because yoshi is already taken, and it adds a unique feminine touch lol

The avatar is Eureka from Eureka 7, my fave anime at the moment (even if it has now ended:cry:) as some of you may have been able to tell from my screenshots!

puppy
January 7th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Interesting how lots of these are related to gaming - when I first seriously got into online gaming I joined a big clan called the Dogs of War, and all the interesting/scary dog names were taken, so puppy it was :rolleyes: .

And yes, I'm 'puppy' on the TWiT forums and elsewhere like everyone else - I'm told I also have dog-like facial expressions sometimes in certain circumstances... apparently I do a very good impression of a sad bulldog :-k

Oh and my avatar changes fairly frequently and is from that massive french collection of tux avatars - I rather like the CounterStrike and Star Wars ones too...

Stew2
January 7th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Cool thread! :) Some of the explanations are pretty interesting. More interesting than mine anyway! I chose Stew2 because every cool username I could think of was taken so I tried just using Stew (short for Stewart)... it was taken too! As was Stew1, hence the username Stew2. I use it in a few other places online too. Avatar is just a dragons eye that I thought looked cool. My avatar jumps around quite a bit as I change it fairly often. I did have a picture of G-nome from the video game "Shrek Superslam" for the longest time though. It was my sons favourite game at the time and the character I ended up playing the most. I thought it tied in nicely with the gnome desktop! :D

Regards,
Stew2 :D

maniacmusician
January 7th, 2007, 05:18 AM
My username is from Yoshi from Nintendo fame I always played Yoshi in classics such as Mario Cart etc! The queen part was because yoshi is already taken, and it adds a unique feminine touch lol

The avatar is Eureka from Eureka 7, my fave anime at the moment (even if it has now ended:cry:) as some of you may have been able to tell from my screenshots!
I like Eureka Seven as well, it was pretty neat. Though it got very "fantastical" towards the end, it was a really emotional one! the plot didn't suck either, so it appealed to me.

edit: I usually end up watching most anime subbed by nanashi-fansubs and then some others. Don't know any japanese, unfortunately.

OldTimeTech
January 7th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Hmmmmmmm, mine has nothing to do with gaming, it's just that I've been in the business of computers, hardware and software since 1988. Believe it or not, I actually used DOS....LOL!!!

The avatar is very recent for me. It's a bug in amber....part of the reason I picked it, is when pushing myself hard to learn Ubuntu, I feel like I'm stuck in glue, until I finally learn what I need. The other reason is I liked the colors.

pmj
January 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Just wanted to say hello to another Eureka Seven fan.

Hello.

BLTicklemonster
January 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM
BLTicklemonster. The BL is for the UT gaming clan I'm in, the Black Legion, and Ticklemonster... Well, when I first started getting into playing games where you had to enter a user name, I'd always put my name, but as I got better, I thought it would be funny to use a name that one would not normally associate with ... something that would kill you. So I decided on Ticklemonster. I'm glad I did, because I was on a Zark server once, and drubbed some folks rather well in a death match map, and at the end, one of them remarked,

"wtf is a ticklemonster and wtf am I doing losing to it?"

8) It's moments like that, when it all clicks, that I live for.

The avatar? Well, avatars are fun and a cool way to express yourself. The one I'm using right now I found at a post office on some poster of a fellow they wanted really bad for some reason. Probably has the keys to the men's room or something, I don't know.

j/k that's me.

fuscia
January 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM
The avatar? Well, avatars are fun and a cool way to express yourself. The one I'm using right now I found at a post office on some poster of a fellow they wanted really bad for some reason. Probably has the keys to the men's room or something, I don't know.

looks like a serial telemarketer.

http://ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar44485_7.gif

m.musashi
January 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM
My dogs name is slim and the 360 because on a few other websites 'slimdog' is already taken so the 360 became part of a standard.
The avatar because, like Musashi, Im a big fan of Kurosawa films. The seven samurai and yojimbo are my favourites, since Musashi already had Yojimbo in his I took the seven samurai.

I love the scene at the start of Yojimbo where he goes to town on those bad guys.

Funny thing is, your avatar looks like the one I used to have but somehow lost. I can't remember exactly which one it was, but when I saw your post on the desktop thread I almost thought it was mine. It was kind of like looking in the mirror but seeing someone else - a little disconcerting. I'm not sure how I managed to lose my avatar but I was at work one day and logged in to see what was happening (not that I do that much :)) and it was gone. I did a quick search for a new one because I felt naked.

So mine is from Yojimbo? I didn't really pay attention but I suspected it was one of the three (Yojimbo, Sanjuro or Seven Samurai). You'd think I would have paid more attention.

m.musashi
January 7th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Cool thread m.musashi, i thought you were Japanese also, maybe people think i am an alien too......................you never know!!!!!!!;)

I have created mental images of lot of the members but for some reason just assumed everyone wouldn't do that with me. After all, I don't look anything like the avatar :).

EDIT:

Someone, might have been fuscia, said it looked like a navy seal. That stuck in my head and now every time I see a post I think of someone monitoring nuclear missiles or something. You can't see his hand but it's on the button (what country is on the screen I wonder).

viper
January 7th, 2007, 06:31 AM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

esaym
January 7th, 2007, 06:40 AM
esaym is just how you say the letters of my name S A M

The av is stolen from my local LUG;)

Polygon
January 7th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Polygon came from a screename that i made up for myself when i was an avid Starcraft: Brood War player. its kept ever since

and my current avatar:

http://email.noao.edu/~markgrandi/gorillaz_avatar_100x100.png

comes from the music video to Gorillaz's "Dirty Harry" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adcdbfIoeW4)

slimdog360
January 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Funny thing is, your avatar looks like the one I used to have but somehow lost. I can't remember exactly which one it was, but when I saw your post on the desktop thread I almost thought it was mine. It was kind of like looking in the mirror but seeing someone else - a little disconcerting. I'm not sure how I managed to lose my avatar but I was at work one day and logged in to see what was happening (not that I do that much :)) and it was gone. I did a quick search for a new one because I felt naked.

So mine is from Yojimbo? I didn't really pay attention but I suspected it was one of the three (Yojimbo, Sanjuro or Seven Samurai). You'd think I would have paid more attention.
They have them on dvd now, you should go get them, or hire them out and have another look. At the moment Ive only got the seven samurai on DVD and yojimbo on VHS. Great movies. Im looking to get a whole collection going one day, all of Kurosawa's films, the Long Wolf and Cub movies, plus some bruce lee movies.

If anyone who likes samurai movies and hasnt seen the lone wolf and cub series you must see them. Its a cult movie thing for a lot of people. And the cartoons are preety good too.
http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/LWC.t
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

m.musashi
January 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
They have them on dvd now, you should go get them, or hire them out and have another look. At the moment Ive only got the seven samurai on DVD and yojimbo on VHS. Great movies. Im looking to get a whole collection going one day, all of Kurosawa's films, the Long Wolf and Cub movies, plus some bruce lee movies.

If anyone who likes samurai movies and hasnt seen the lone wolf and cub series you must see them. Its a cult movie thing for a lot of people. And the cartoons are preety good too.
http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/LWC.t
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

I have 6 or 8 kurosawa films on dvd including the samurai 4 pack (the three I mentioned and hidden fortress). It's just been a while since I've watched them. I think yojimbo, sanjuro and seven have also been rereleased by criterion. Why can't they just do them right the first time?

Xzallion
January 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
My screen name/user name whatever you call it, has a long story. I came up with it when I was about 13, and had started dungeon mastering games of 2nd edition Dungeons & Dragons. I never got to use 'Xzallion' in a roleplay, but its a name that stuck with me that I liked. I had used 'Ace' as a nick for years on old NES and arcade machines that enforced a 3 letter limit.

I don't know how to describe it but its kind of like I have multiple personalities in my head, and each has a name and represents a basic principle/emotion. Ace became something I did not like. He was a jerk, and mean. Xzallion was a new name that stuck in my head, and I decided that was my mental name for what I wanted to be. He was a "good guy" for lack of a better term, and later on there came others: Velona (hope), Skyrie (envy), Kenny (innocence), The Koala (creativity/muse).
Xzallion is integrety & honor, while Ace is rage. At least thats how I view them.

In case your wondering how its pronounced, Its a lot like the word stallion, with a hard X followed by zallion. So X-Zal-leon would sound about right.

As for my avatar, thats Early from the Squidbillies. Basically he's a cartoon redneck squid. He acts a lot like a few members of my family, and has some funny hats. Its mainly me making fun of my redneck heritage, and just something random that I found entertaining at the time. Before that I had a tux in Kenny's jacket from Southpark. My real name is Kenneth, but all my friends call me Kenny, and I always got the Southpark "Oh my god, you killed Kenny!" jokes. I wasn't amused by them, but after awhile you accept them and learn to laugh at yourself, so I was making fun of myself having that one up. Also shortening it and going by Ken is not fun either, the barbie doll jokes roll in by the hundreds, but then again that was middle/high school so maybe people will be a bit more mature in the real world.... or not.

And about people changing avatars, it messes me up too. Takes me about a month to adjust to their new avatar and recognizing who they are, and I browse Ubuntu Cafe about twice a day.

matthew
January 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM
looks like a modified powerpuff girl to me :)
It is a powerpuff girl, and judging by the facial hair on steroids?Yeah, it's a modified powerpuff girl. Back when the forums had less than 50,000 members all the staff had powerpuff-styled avatars, customized to fit their personalities. These were made by a staff member that is no longer with us. I liked them and so I made my own (the long-haired one with the goatee and yellow guitar). It actually does look a lot like me, although my hair isn't that long anymore. The other powerpuff one I had was made for me when I became a staff member.

fuscia
January 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I have 6 or 8 kurosawa films on dvd including the samurai 4 pack (the three I mentioned and hidden fortress). It's just been a while since I've watched them. I think yojimbo, sanjuro and seven have also been rereleased by criterion. Why can't they just do them right the first time?

one of my favorite directors. i think 'ran' has to be one of the prettiest movies i've ever seen.

Bezmotivnik
January 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM
one of my favorite directors.
Check out Stray Dog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stray_Dog_(film)) sometime.

BLTicklemonster
January 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM

PSYCHO serial telemarketer. "Do Not hang up, I know where you live, and my finger is on the button! Now, you want that in fuscia, or teal?"

bonzodog
January 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
well...My nick is one I've had since I was 14 and Using CB Radio in the late 80's. It was my 'handle' then. I got it from The Bonzodog Doo-Dah band (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonzo_Dog_Doo-Dah_Band). I dunno, I guess at the time, I thought the name 'Bonzodog' sounded kinda cool and Unique. Also, i did like that one big hit of theirs - "I'm the Urban Spaceman".

My Avatar changes quite frequently, I can never quite decide what to use. Currently it's the Crystal tux Icon for Zenwalk Linux, which I use as my main OS now. I quit Ubuntu after I realised that for some wierd reason it performed slowly on my system.

It's worth noting that quite a few people in here, including staff, no longer use Ubuntu, and have switched to other linux Distros.

fuscia
January 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM
PSYCHO serial telemarketer. "Do Not hang up, I know where you live, and my finger is on the button! Now, you want that in fuscia, or teal?"

can you hold on a second? there's someone at the door. i'll just be a minute. *never comes back*

GermanFafian
January 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
It's worth noting that quite a few people in here, including staff, no longer use Ubuntu, and have switched to other linux Distros.
Off topic but interesting remark nonetheless. I have tried and used a few different ones, but finally decided between fedora and kubuntu and stuck with the second.

jclmusic
January 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
my avatar is me! (albeit through a cool effect)

Interestedinthepenguin
January 8th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I thought of Interestedinthepenguin while trying to think of a name that would last and be a little interesting.

The name pretty much explains itself, in my opinion. The penguin (Tux), represents Linux.

I was going to go with 'cooltomboy', but it doesn't fit a Linux noob.:)

I chose a picture of Sora from the PS2 game, 'Kingdom Hearts', as my avatar because I like the Kingdom Hearts series.

My liking for KH aside, I think Sora's an awesome looking character, and something about him reminds me of myself.

puppy
January 8th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Many years ago I worked for the drummer of the Bonzo-Dog Doodah Band - he was in the tyre business by that point - nice bloke :-D

cstudent
January 8th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I've been a member of the forums for about a year and a half now. I do less yakking and more lurking these days, but I feel like I'm part of the family. At least I hope so. My user name comes from the fact that I was taking a C programming class at the local vocational school at the same time I discovered Ubuntu. My avatar just seems to represent what I'm doing while online. I've had a couple of others in the past. I've tried to stick to something that represents a programmer or student.

TLE
January 8th, 2007, 03:01 AM
My nick is a acronym for TheLittleEngineer and so is just pronounced as the letters. I'm a masters engineering student in applied physics so that's where it's coming from. I've been using it for quite some years now.

As for my Avatar. The picture is of the fictional character John Dorianor just J.D. (played by Zach Braff) from my favorite TV show Scrubs.
I chose it first of all because I wanted to share one of my passions. But also I do share some personality traits with J.D. (Or at least I'd like to think so) which I would like project into/or from my Ubuntu/Internet identity. These traits is: being friendly and helpful, and taking pride in what I do and doing it well...... And having a weird sense of humor, but I suppose that goes without saying, since I'm watching Scrubs ;)

So I suppose there's quite a bit of psychology in that one

Regards TLE

IYY
January 8th, 2007, 03:11 AM
My username just consists of my initials, whereas my avatar is my photo. I am not very creative about these things. On some other forums I just use my last name as the username.

Omnios
January 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM
My user name came after months of searching for something not taken all over the place and seems pretty good so far. I got sick of this name is already in use.

RAV TUX
January 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM
this has to be the second member hug I have recieved....much appreciated [hugs back]

My "new" Avatar is an actual picture of a Rare White Lion, I found online....unfortunately I didn't save the source, but I believe I did an image search by the Internet command line(accesible via YubNub)

I forgot why I was specifically looking for a white lion picture at the time....I was so moved by this one...his character, strength, and earnestness.....I felt reflective of mine....as if I was looking into a symbolic image of myself

So we have empirical validation of forum psychology self actualization....

Also I have always loved the nobleness of a Lion,....especially White Lions....symbolic of purity, honesty, and strength...which I find are attributes I embody.

Another bonus correlation which like layers of an onion; is another layer of many meanings, of why I choose the Lion is partially Ethnic....in being Sephardic....I felt the lion was a good representation of the "Lion of Judah". While this not so much a reason but more an after thought, but it may have been an unconscience contributing factor. At least a validating factor of when you make a change; "I like it, This is another good reason to keep it".

About my username, which changed.(which I don't believe is done anymore, except maybe for staff,...there must be a reference somewhere for this policy).

Originally my user name was Yozef, a phonetic spelling of my Hebrew name: Jozef....I had originally requested the change be made from Yozef to Jozef....unfortunately by this time Jozef was taken.

So I left it the same,.....then I was inspired one day to make a custom Tux, which I called RAV TUX....he was a combination of multiple Tux characters....

I will try to edit more details about RAV TUX

EDIT:

....I was inspired by the french Tux website and they had both a Jew Tux and a Rabbi Tux...but neither looked good so I made mine: RAV TUX.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rav

So like my Avatar, my user name:RAV TUX....is a symbolic representation of my Ethinicity, as being Sephardic but more so I connect with the symbolism of the noble character of the White Lion that I embody and constantly strive for.

My White Lion is a peacful Lion,...that is wise and understanding and longs for world peace for all mankind and loves hugs.

EDIT: The above, Changed my avatar again....;)

to see a history of other avatars, (a few of many) I have had.....go here:
post a bigger more detailed picture of your avatar and explain it.... (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223172)

steven8
January 9th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Back in 2001, when I joined my first forum ever, it told me to select a username. At the time it was the 8th month I'd been using my son Steven's name as a windows password at work. . .hence, steven8. I've used it everywhere ever since.

My avatar is Hobbes, because everyone needs a Hobbes to hold, so the monsters under the bed won't get them. I love that little guy!!

OrangeCrate
January 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM

The avatar has no meaning. I just like Peter Max's art...

Edit: Like RAV TUX, I think I'll change my avatar. I found this little TUX orange thingee, and it's pretty appropriate. If this is someone else's "trademark" avatar on the forum, please let me know, and I'll change it...

Final Edit: Nevermind. After looking at it for a while, I didn't like it, and I changed it back to the Peter Max print.

aliyanage
January 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM
aliyanage, well the a stands for Andrew and Liyanage is my last name :-) well I tried to find some good avatar but somehow I ended up looking for some cool tux avatar and since I really love dragon ball I thought I might as well just take this one :-D

gosh
January 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I received my nickname when I was about 16 years and playing guitar in a band. I can't remember if the other guys where surprised at how good or how bad I was!

For my avatar I was looking for something in the spirit of Ubuntu. I am a big supporter of fair trade and thought that the bean was quite appropriate to both Ubuntu and fair trade.

renzokuken
January 9th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Well renzokuken is a Final Fantasy thing, its Squall Limit Break in FF8 and i love Final Fantasy. FF7 is the best game of all time, but all the good names from FF7 are always taken straight away. apparently Renzokuken means "sequential blade". i wish i had a gunblade, better than a light sabre imo.

anyways, my avatar, Jack Bauer, who doesnt love Jack Bauer. my alltime hero. and season 6 has just started and i watched the first few eps last night, he's a Grade A loon.

m.musashi
January 9th, 2007, 04:28 PM
EDIT: The above, Changed my avatar again....;)

to see a history of other avatars, (a few of many) I have had.....go here:
post a bigger more detailed picture of your avatar and explain it.... (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=223172)

Edit: Like RAV TUX, I think I'll change my avatar. I found this little TUX orange thingee, and it's pretty appropriate. If this is someone else's "trademark" avatar on the forum, please let me know, and I'll change it...

You know, your avatar is kind of how we all know you. If it keep changing it we get confused :). Of course, if that is your aim then it's working.

Back in 2001, when I joined my first forum ever, it told me to select a username. At the time it was the 8th month I'd been using my son Steven's name as a windows password at work. . .hence, steven8. I've used it everywhere ever since.

My avatar is Hobbes, because everyone needs a Hobbes to hold, so the monsters under the bed won't get them. I love that little guy!!

Amen. Calvin and Hobbes is by far one of if not the best comic of all time.

OrangeCrate
January 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
You know, your avatar is kind of how we all know you. If it keep changing it we get confused :). Of course, if that is your aim then it's working.

It's funny you would say that. Looking at the new one, I liked my original one better, and was just about to change it back.

doobit
January 9th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Mine is a photo of my motorcycle that I ride to work every day. It's a 2003 Suzuki VL800. I use it because it just happened to be the only abstract photo I had available at the moment I signed on. If I had a better idea I would use it.
Doobit is the first name of a character that I and a friend created about 20 years ago. His whole name is Doobit Schnood. We were trying to find a name that sounded real, but that didn't exist in the phone book or anywhere else, and this is what we came up with. Since then, it has begun appearing all over the place.

Tutu 1234
January 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
My user name is the same one I use everywhere simply because it's the same 2 letters in sequence so it's easy and quick to type. I added 1234 because someone else had registered Tutu here and I only wanted a quick answer to a problem which given I decided to keep Ubuntu and ditch Windows after all has become my permanent user name.

My avatar is simply my favourite fictional character.

stalker145
January 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
To start, the username is basically a shortening of my CB handle from eons ago when citizen's band radio was, ummm, cool (?). My original handle was Knightstalker - a concoction of my favorite time of day (nighttime), the fact that I was always lurking about (stalker), and the fact that I was horribly interested in becoming a member of law enforcement (hence the K added) - thus was created Knightstalker.
When I signed up for my first interweb account, it was AO-Hell that got my business. Knightstalker was not allowed for some reason and just plain Stalker was already taken. A friend of mine was very into J.R. 'Bob' Dobbs and the Church of the Subgenius, so, five being a 'holy' number and any derivative of five being uber-'holy', I added the 145 at the end (1+4=5 and 5='holy'). Yeah, whatever. It was an inside joke and I think this is the first time I've actually explained it...

The avatar (also attached in the event that it changes radically one day) is basically me (disguised as Tux). I'm a U.S. Marine, hence the drill instructor's hat (I couldn't get any of the other hats I found on the interweb to work right). Also, the nifty decorations are the medals, badges, and rank that I had at the time of creating the picture.

alan6
January 9th, 2007, 08:38 PM
my username is my name and favourite number:)

m.musashi
January 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
my username is my name and favourite number:)

You wouldn't be a fan of The Prisoner would you?

Be seeing you.

indigoshift
January 9th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Daffy Duck was the first cool one I could think of.

Daffy Duck is the unsung comedic genius of the 20th century. I love Daffy!

indigoshift is a mash of "Indigo Shift", which I read in a comic called "Books of Magic". One of the characters described the color as the universe died as an "indigo shift". It just sounds cool to me.

I have no idea what's up with the avatar. Found it at random. I thought he looked excited and happy, and he makes me chuckle. That avatar just plain rocks. :D

BrokeBody
January 9th, 2007, 11:12 PM
BrokeBody is just BrokeBody - No history. btw, enter "BrokeBody" on Google and also look under Images. : )

Avatar and signature tells enough I think. :D

Mr Wrath
January 9th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I chose the Armored Penguin due to my knowledge of security -home, computer, etcetera...-
that and it is also conceals;)
My name came from a few friends that knew me when I was younger...games, sports, & motocross. At the time it was only Wrath.:twisted:

Mr Wrath
January 9th, 2007, 11:36 PM
EDIT: and it also conceals;)

Brunellus
January 9th, 2007, 11:37 PM
The photo is easy. That's me holding a camera.

The name? I named myself after the protagonist of the Speculum Stultorum. I'll let the Cambridge History of English and American Literature (http://www.bartleby.com/211/1007.html)do the talking:

...the Speculum Stultorum, a long elegiac poem on the adventures of the donkey “Burnellus,” or “Brunellus,” a diminutive of “Brown” (just as “donkey” is a diminutive of “dun”). The name is borrowed from the scholastic logic of the day, in which it represents any particular horse or ***, as opposed to the abstract idea of either of those animals.

Ashamed to return home, and having an immense capacity for patient labour, he resolves on becoming a member of the English school in the university of Paris. Then follows a satire on the idleness and extravagance of some of the English students at that seat of learning. After spending seven years in studying the liberal arts and thus “completing” his education, he finds on leaving Paris that he has even forgotten the name of the place

That sums up my education nicely.

jeffc313
January 10th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I changed my avitar to tux dressed as a turkey for thanksgiving... never bothered to change it
my name: my first name is Jeff, my surname begins with "C" and my birthday is 13 March

manicka
January 10th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I've always hoped that my little guy reflects me in a good way

BLTicklemonster
January 10th, 2007, 03:56 AM
I chose the Armored Penguin due to my knowledge of security -home, computer, etcetera...-
that and it is also conceals;)
My name came from a few friends that knew me when I was younger...games, sports, & motocross. At the time it was only Wrath.:twisted:

.. that's a penguin? I thought you were basting a turkey...

ba dum tsh.

Mr Wrath
January 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Throw him out here were I live (Texas) in that outfit...It would become just that.:)

Patrick-Ruff
January 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
My username and avatar are based on a game, Warcraft 3..

I am teh Lord!

awesome, that's the only game I've managed to consistently play for 4 years :P. battle.net is awesome :)

and my username and avatar, well, username being my actual name, avatar being my consistently challenging facts and the basis of everything.

henriquemaia
January 10th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I was using "RecumbentJoe" on some cycling email lists and sites, but when I started registering at other forums too many people didn't know what a recumbent bicycle was and I got tired of being asked... I liked the sound of "I'm just some random Joe..." (Joe being my name) so I went with RandomJoe.

The avatar pic is my current recumbent bicycle.

I just love recumbents! I love all bicycles, but I like recumbents a lot.

luca.b
January 10th, 2007, 04:02 PM
My name is my real name, and the "b" is the first letter of my surname. If I had created it a little later, I'd probably have used "Einar" instead (which is my nickname in Final Fantasy XI Online).
No avatar because:

a. I don't have a good idea of what put there;
b. by policy I don't post any picture related to myself online (due to a long mess a few years ago).

cody50
January 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well, mine is just my first name, and then my favorite number. And of course the avatar for my Alma Mater.

AlanRogers
January 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM
There's absolutely nothing imaginative about my username; it's as transparent and WYSIWYG as I am. As to my avatar, it was one of the standard ones to pick from on the Virtual Irish Pub (http://www.vip.ie) before it went all righteous and commercial. I used it as my company logo until my wife asked what it was - she thought it was a pink turtle! I now use it as my avatar where I want to distinguish myself from my business but only on fora with a white background as the transparency doesn't work that well.

m.musashi
January 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
There's absolutely nothing imaginative about my username; it's as transparent and WYSIWYG as I am. As to my avatar, it was one of the standard ones to pick from on the Virtual Irish Pub (http://www.vip.ie) before it went all righteous and commercial. I used it as my company logo until my wife asked what it was - she thought it was a pink turtle! I now use it as my avatar where I want to distinguish myself from my business but only on fora with a white background as the transparency doesn't work that well.

So what, exactly, is it? I'm guessing a brain but what's impaled in it? Or is that a stupid question :)?

dorcssa
January 10th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Well, the avatar is easy. I'm a fan of The Lord of the Rings, and on my "home" forum my name is Arwen, so that's why I choosed arwen for the avatar too. I like graphics, so I wanted a drawed one and this one was really cool.
About my name. When a few years ago(I was in high school then, and only have net on IT class, once a week for two years), I was attempted to create an e-mail account, obviously from my real name, wich is Dora. In hungarian, one of it's nick forms is Dorcsi, or Dorcsa(pronounce it like dorcha). I wanted to longer the cs vocal to be sure it's not in use, but accindentally add a plus s, instead of c(when longing a double vocal you double the first letter, it's a language feature, like doubleing the p when addig ing to ship, I hope you can understand). That's how I became dorcssa, and I use it everywhere now, mostly I'm on private trackers, so you won't find much reference.

PapaWiskas
January 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Mine is just a nickname I got because my wife used to go by Wiskas, she likes cats. Then we had kids, so then her nickname changed to Mamawiskas, I became Papawiskas....the avatar, well, it fits the cat theme/name, he is quite handsome isn't he?

AlanRogers
January 10th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing a brain but what's impaled in it?It's (supposed to be) a brain and glasses. I guess it's not quite as obvious as I thought but I like it , so there [-(

m.musashi
January 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
It's (supposed to be) a brain and glasses. I guess it's not quite as obvious as I thought but I like it , so there [-(

Ahhh, I see. A little brain humor. You're not a shrink, I mean clinical psychologist, are you?

seijuro
January 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
well I ended up changing my avatar I decided on a whim that I didn't want the same avatar on 5 different forums plus my home page. The new one is Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin.

sanderella
January 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Many years ago I worked for the drummer of the Bonzo-Dog Doodah Band - he was in the tyre business by that point - nice bloke :-D

I loved the Bonzo Dog Doodah Band. Even paid to see them live:

"If it gets too hot for sundaes
And you can't get ice cream cones,
Well it aint no sin
To take off your skin
And dance around in your bones."

Happy memories of when we were young:)

mykalreborn
January 10th, 2007, 10:03 PM
my avatar is a picture of myself taken two years ago at school. i did some modifications of it to make it look better. and i wasn't aware i was getting my picture taken. i was just fooling around :p. it's one of the few pictures i have of myself and one of the even fewer i like. unfortunately i lost the original size picture and i had to satisfy myself with this one i searched on google :D

AlanRogers
January 11th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Ahhh, I see. A little brain humor. You're not a shrink, I mean clinical psychologist, are you?No, defintely not - database analyst and network support - far simpler!

m.musashi
January 11th, 2007, 01:19 AM
No, defintely not - database analyst and network support - far simpler!

Well then you simply work with th not only simpler but superior silicone brain - soon to replace the flawed carbon based ones.

carloslosgrande
January 19th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Fuchsia is a flower, a hanging plant usually in pots suspended from the rafters so that the full effect of this beautiful bloom is right about eye-level.
My user name is what a friend of our family called me when I was young and the avatar is a painting of mine.

wert613
January 19th, 2007, 02:05 AM
i use my username every where either
wert613
or
613wert
its always available:D

my avatar right now is moslty a parade of kittens...

Omnios
January 19th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Hi hi just finished my latest Avatar. <==

RAV TUX
January 19th, 2007, 05:48 AM
changed mine again recently.

neoflight
January 19th, 2007, 06:08 AM
i am teaching/preaching/lecturing about Ubuntu.... 8)

Brunellus
January 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
new avatar, new icon:

it's my eye. It's watching you.

bunabattoir
January 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
My nick is essentially made frum 2 words: Bun, well, you know what that is; and abattoir (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?sourceid=Mozilla-search&va=abattoir), which means slaughterhouse. So I am a bun slaughterhouse, and not exactly a candidate for the Adkins' diet. :D

The avatar is the block "M" from the University of Michigan (http://www.umich.edu/), my alma mater. GO BLUE! \\:D/

My user name is what a friend of our family called me when I was young and the avatar is a painting of mine.

Do you have any larger images of your paintings on-line?

geek_Man
January 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I came up with geek_Man 'cause I'm "the geeky one" with my friends. I got that avatar because I like Linux, especially Ubuntu.

m.musashi
January 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
i am teaching/preaching/lecturing about Ubuntu.... 8)

cool:guitar:

Omnios
January 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Mine is Kind of a statement. Department of darkness as all that work for the government kind of walk on a line of darkness.

carloslosgrande
January 20th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Hi Bunabbatoir, sounds a little like bon appetit
Yes i have a few other paintings posted in the gallery, titled; Wolf, Watching, Confusion, Sunset Roar

Choad
January 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM
me and my mate invented the word "choad". unfortunately it had already been invented when i went to look on urban dictionary. it had the same meaning tho. freaky. anyway, i have been known as choad for quite a while (but only a few people call me it. well... 1 person really. the guy i was referring to with the 4th word of this post)

newho.... its not true

my avatar is just a pic of me. go go team psychoanalysis.

rocknrolf77
January 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Avatar for now is yoda/tux, as the star wars fan I am and yoda beeing my all time favorite star wars character. Loving the tux avatars. Represent tux/linux and you can dress tux to reflect the stuff you like too.

My nick is because of my name and I love rock'n'roll, and my birth year. Follows me in every forum etc. as username. Then you don't forget what username you have.

Got me thinking now:-k : have too go looking for a photo tux.

The new smileys are cool! :guitar: boogie makes people wanna \\:D/

ogregore
January 20th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I use this name on all the forums I go to. My last name is gore and ogre is an anagram of it so it just worked out that way. I also enjoy Piers Anthony's Xanth series and "mythical" creatures with human traits and foibles but everyone with some magical power or other.

The avatar is just Bucky Katt from the "Get Fuzzy" comic - cynical, inventive, wants to dominate the world, did I mention cynical. I had mellowed from my previous avatar.

Cheers
Ogre

liljoe76
January 20th, 2007, 04:05 AM
fun stuff!
mines simple... names Joe... i'm 30.... my grandfather was 'big' Joe...
and that pic just makes me chuckle everytime.. me and a judicial use of ms paint. ahahhahahahaa :)

enopepsoo
January 20th, 2007, 04:10 AM
I traced my avatar from a picture taken of a stencil that I found on Flickr. I actually used the stencil to spray paint a couple of tshirts, and I gave one to a friend of mine.

Eno is after the antacid and pepsoo is a made up word. ):P

cement_head
January 20th, 2007, 04:16 AM
My Name is from a nickname I sustained while crashing a mountain bike offroad so F^$%)(@# hard that it collapsed the frame...but I lived.

My image is from "They Live". Possible the best Sci-Fi movie of the last twenty years - and still very relavent today. Got my favorite quote by Rowdy Roddy Piper in it:

"I come here to chew gum and kick a$$; and I'm all out of gum"

- L8R

m.musashi
January 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
"I come here to chew gum and kick a$$; and I'm all out of gum"

- L8R

Best quote of the century. Well, last one at least. Not sure about this one yet - too new.

public_void
January 20th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Normally its void, and I us it most places. If its taken then I prefix public or private. public, private and void are all words used in programming (C/C++), with I enjoy. The picture kinda reassembles me, but its mainly because I like The Simpsons and didn't want the usually characters.

Greevous
January 25th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, both of the good guys and the bad guys :wink: , so I "fused" General Grievous and Commander Gree into one name. I like it because it's a pun and it generally isn't taken as a user name. My avatar is, of course, the glider (from John Conway's Game of Life). The glider also represents the hacker culture, in a good way, and I support what they stand for much like I support the Linux community.

Tomosaur
January 25th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I have no avatar, and that's because I'm invisible.

RAV TUX
January 25th, 2007, 01:45 AM
new avatar/new sig pic/new sig.....go figure

m.musashi
January 25th, 2007, 02:42 AM
new avatar/new sig pic/new sig.....go figure

Maybe it's just me, but I really liked the Jewish Gandalf penguin the best. Also, every time you change it totally messes with my equilibrium. There should be a rule against that:).

Tux Aubrey
January 25th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Also, every time you change it totally messes with my equilibrium. There should be a rule against this

Yes indeed, throws me completely. There should be some sort of limit on how often RAV TUX is allowed to change his/her Avatar. How about an "Avatar Freeze" and then you run a poll whenever he gets the urge to change it?

m.musashi
January 25th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Yes indeed, throws me completely. There should be some sort of limit on how often RAV TUX is allowed to change his/her Avatar. How about an "Avatar Freeze" and then you run a poll whenever he gets the urge to change it?

Excellent idea. Any mod want to institute this. Oh wait, he's a mod too. D*mn.

RAV TUX
January 25th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Excellent idea. Any mod want to institute this. Oh wait, he's a mod too. D*mn.I actually ran a poll on my avatar once...perhaps I should run another?

EDIT: nah I like the freedom of Linux,....and the freedom of change....I have actually thought about changing my avatar daily.

m.musashi
January 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM
I actually ran a poll on my avatar once...perhaps I should run another?

EDIT: nah I like the freedom of Linux,....and the freedom of change....I have actually thought about changing my avatar daily.

I just checked the GPL and I don't see where it says linux users are free to mess with the brains of other users. But, if mess with us you must, how about a script that changes it every hour (or every minute) preferably to some random image.

fuscia
January 25th, 2007, 04:49 AM
i don't get people who change their avs every ten minutes. (b'dum-ching!1)

Polygon
January 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM
well since regular users cant have signatures (with images), the avatar is the really only place people can express themselfs with pictures =P

changed mine recently to screw with all of your minds. muhahaha

RAV TUX
January 25th, 2007, 12:53 PM
well since regular users cant have signatures (with images), the avatar is the really only place people can express themselfs with pictures =P

changed mine recently to screw with all of your minds. muhahaha

my only question is the penguin falling or dancing?

Malac
January 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Malac from gaming again as Malacandra wouldn't fit in the reg box the game used.
Malacandra is from "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis and I chose it thinking that no-one else would use it in forum, e-mails, etc. as it's unusual and it's not a persons name but this turned out not to be the case.
However Malac seems to be available as a username at most of the sites I register on so I just keep using it.
The picture is just an animated gif I liked which I use(unanimated) for this site.

RAV TUX
January 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I just checked the GPL and I don't see where it says linux users are free to mess with the brains of other users. But, if mess with us you must, how about a script that changes it every hour (or every minute) preferably to some random image.
I was thinking a gif that changed within a fraction of a second would be cool...

but honestly....this is where psychology is silly...I never thought my avatar effected anybody...I thought they were for fun?

but go figure....back by popular demand.....RAV TUX avatar...

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I was thinking a gif that changed within a fraction of a second would be cool...

but honestly....this is where psychology is silly...I never thought my avatar effected anybody...I thought they were for fun?

woah,
i liked the beryl better...

Aetherius
January 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Aetherius: Not entirely sure when i started using this... used to play XCOM games :D alot back in't'day, and the little telekinetic aliens that controlled all the rest of them were called ethereals. I found out that ethereal was latin, 'Characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; intangible' , so after a few years doodling the word on the back of school textbooks it became Aetherius.

The avatar is an inked tracing of me. Never had one before today, thought it'd make sense when I kinda realised the familiarity it brings.

EDIT: I just discovered that Aetherius was the name of 'alien' that visited George King in 1954, which caused him to start the 'Aetherius Society'. Technology-based funded-religion, think Scientology but older.

RAV TUX
January 25th, 2007, 02:31 PM
woah,
i liked the beryl better...perhaps I should start a poll?

I have to agree I think I liked the White Beryl better also...I will change it tonight.

or just keep things as is and change my avatar when I feel like it.....pretty much like everybody else.

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM
perhaps I should start a poll?

I have to agree I think I liked the White Beryl better also...I will change it tonight.

or just keep things as is and change my avatar when I feel like it.....pretty much like everybody else.

a poll might be useful:D

m.musashi
January 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM

I'm not sure silly is a fair label. Granted, this is all in fun, but it is interesting how in an online environment where users don't have a "voice" or anything that identifies them the avatar takes on the person's persona. Since I can't see or hear any of you, my mind creates a personality based in part on what you say and how you say it but also largely influenced by the avatar. When I read a post, I often don't even read the username. I see the avatar and think "I know that person". When the avatar changes, it kind of throws me off. Not that anyone cares about that and some people are probably going for that effect. Certainly, everyone is free to do as he or she pleases. I just thought it was kind of interesting.

PS Welcome back - at least for a while.

miseljt
January 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM
My username is much less original. It was the username I had when I was in military school. Just kinda stuck. As for my avatar, I really like Tux, but Calvin and Hobbes was one of the first loves in my life. Absolutely hilarious.

Polygon
January 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM
my only question is the penguin falling or dancing?

dancing =P

total wormage
March 20th, 2007, 02:53 PM
*dig dig old thread*

my avatar is an excerpt of a hello kitty image, my ex-girlfriend used that image as her avatar on an other forum. i liked it back then and it got stuck as a standard avatar

i wonder what people think of me when seeing my nick / avatar. (and me using a lot op these: :KS :KS :KS)

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM
my username it's taken from "childhood's end" by a.c. clarke (terrific book, one of my favourites), Karellen is one of the main characters (:D)...and what a character. those who read the book know what I mean :)
the avatar...well....I found it cute and funny ;)

gaspar
March 20th, 2007, 03:12 PM
My username is just my family name - I´m actually Bruno Gaspar.
My avatar, Picles (the portuguese translation for pickles) is a w.i.p. character I´m modeling for one possible animation project. :)

DrOlaf
March 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
My nick comes from an old college nickname I had. My surname sounds vaguely Scandinavian, and in one class the lecturer asked me (in front of my classmates) if I had any Viking blood in me. Needless to say, "Olaf the Viking" dogged me for the rest of my undergraduate years. As I have a PhD, the Dr is at least syntactically correct.

My avatar is the logo of an old British TV show. It was kind of a spoof quiz show, and its two catchphrases were "Eranu" (if the contestant got the bonus question right) and "Uvavu" (if they got a wrong answer). I still think that "Ubuntu? Uvavu!" sounds better, but I don't want to give anyone the impression that Ubuntu is, in fact, the wrong answer :) . It is more of a bonus, I think.

If I start talking about the show any more, I'll turn into a catchphrase-weenie, so all I will do is to keep an eye out for the Dove from Above.

bunabattoir
March 20th, 2007, 05:12 PM
my username it's taken from "childhood's end" by a.c. clarke (terrific book, one of my favourites), Karellen is one of the main characters (:D)...and what a character. those who read the book know what I mean :)
the avatar...well....I found it cute and funny ;)

The avatar is cute and funny, the character from the book, not so much. :p

lyceum
March 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM
First, I have to agree that the avatar does give the person more personality. When I first joined I seemed to see PriceChild's ninja alot, and when I read his posts the voice of the guy from Toonomi (Cartoon network) was always in my head. :)

My name come from the grove where Aristotle tought. I got my first PC when I went to collage (the first time) and pholosphy was going to be my major. Ironically, I do not like the greek philosophers very much, and Aristotle least of all. But I like the name. I like the idea of people gathering to learn. And, I am a trainer at work, so it still fits.

My avatar has three meanings. First, my wife thinks I am obsesed with Uubntu, so the eye, "all I see is Ubuntu". Second, it is a reminder to myself that while on the forums people cannot hear my voice. I am VERY sarcastic with very dry humor. I tend to forget at times that people do not alway know I am joking, so the eye "watches" what I type. Third, I made it and it looks freakin' sweet! :)

Adamant1988
March 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
My username comes from a nickname my Noni gave me when I was younger. Do you guys remember "Atom Ant"? Well, my name is Adam and my noni called me Adam Ant all the time when I was younger, I absolutely hated it when I was little but when she passed away I took it for my username on *all* of my services.

As for my Avatar, it's my picture nothing special about it.

EdThaSlayer
March 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I'm quite the addict of Warhammer 40k universe. I don't play the board games but only play the computer games. Now I'm going to type quite a lot :) about my dreams. I always imagine Ubuntu(name of legion) as one of the many space marine legions(linux distros) out there and me as just one of the soldiers helping to spread the word and defeat the enemies of linuxkind which includes Microsoft(orks) and Apple(eldar). The emperor of linuxkind would be Linus Torvalds who united the many people and computers(humans and human planets) and created legions of genetically engineered soldiers(more computer oriented people). This Linux kingdom(Imperium of man) is ofcourse attacked from within(Novell, and other Linux guys that make a deal with some anti-freedom company) and from outside(Apple, Microsoft) but still has managed to survive more than 10,000 years(15+ years >.>). Oh, and my avatar is actually only the face of some space marine priest. I chose this EdThaSlayer name because I thought that hardly anyone else would use it, and its true. Sometimes I shorten it to ETS. :)

Pikestaff
March 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
My username "Pikestaff" is about ten years old now... I made it back when I first started going on the internet in 1997 or so. I was a huge fan of Brian Jacques' Redwall books at the time, so I mostly inhabited Redwall-related message boards when I first went online, and I wanted to come up with a character to represent myself so I came up with a hare character called "Pikestaff".

Since then it's really become a part of my identity; I call myself Pikestaff basically everywhere online (LiveJournal, LastFM, Wikipedia... etc. etc.) and a lot of my friends, both online and offline, call me Pike ;)

My current avatar is something my boyfriend actually made for me. I like Gir (from the show Invader Zim) and I really like Red Mages (from the Final Fantasy series, and from the webcomic 8-Bit Theatre) so my boyfriend made me a picture combining the two as a birthday present... I really fell in love with it and resized it and now it's my avatar basically everywhere. :)

laredo7mm
March 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM
My avatar is pretty self explanitory, nanotube (another forumite) and I made it to try to promote Team Ubuntu's FAH effort. On other websites I have used my "Maker's Mark" that I put on my "works of art." It looks like this:

http://webpages.charter.net/laredo7mm/avatar_100.jpg

My screen name is derived from way back when I first needed a username, back in 1996. My hobby at the time was target shooting and my favorite gun was (and still is) my Winchester Laredo chambered in a 7mm Magnum. So that is how laredo7mm came about. I also "roll" with laredo7mma when ever I screw up a registration or forget a password.

Sure would like to change it "50 BMG" but I haven't bought one of those, yet. ;)

Spr0k3t
March 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM
The history of my name doesn't go back very far as it's a new rendition. To protect the information of who I am in the internet world, I'll leave out the information from my days of hacking. It wasn't the "taking down the system" type of hacking, more of the "personal gains hacking".

Anyway, here's some info about my previous ID I used to run with: "Spork"

Spork comes from the days of besting a group of friends in practical jokes. I've had the ID "Spork" on so many different (and now defunkt) BBSs, I wouldn't doubt if people know me from previous encounters. What I did to earn it, taking thousands of plasticwear I made little signs with glue, toothpicks, and postit notes. I spent a few weeks putting them all together. One evening around 10ish or so, I spent nearly six hours littering the front lawn of my friend who played the last joke on me. I lined up the plasticwear as if it was a political speach or presentation (kid's dad was a politician). In the center of all the knives, spoons, and forks... a single spork. The signs held by the odd plastic utensils all had unique sayings on them... things like "Spork for Prez", "All hail Spork" and whatnot. Anyway, my friend used this layout to his benefit and did a "dogcam" of the front lawn and used it in his yearbook video he was putting together. In the stillshot of the video of the closeup on the spork, he put my picture. From that point on, I was known as Spork at school. It was my 15 seconds of fame.

Now the problem with the name... it wasn't unique. I've bumped into kids online saying that I stole their name and whatnot gayness. So I finally decided to give up on my history and rebuild my ID in a new light. At the time I was coming up with a name, I wanted it to screem "Spork" but at the same time stay on the edge of who I really am. Since I was flipping through the channels, I saw a glimpse of an Electrosol commercial and thought... HEY! I can mix Spork and pr0n and come up with Spr0k3t! after Spacely Sprockets... okay, so my mind is really wack... but then you'd have to know me to understand that part.

My avatar has not changed since I was on the arpanet. If you would have done a finger to my oldest ID you would have received a gif86 header for a 16x16 2bit smiley encoded with base64. Yes, the avatar has evolved from its stick figurish looking smiley, but the design has never changed. This smiley is an extension of who I am... a very infectious happy person who loves to be the life of any party. At times my humor is so left field that very few would catch it, other times the standup humor of Spock has the audience rolling in the aisles by comparison. The color of my avatar will change with the site I'm on, it just depends on what looks like it would fit in perfectly.

Weird Al's White and nerdy has nothing on me. OOOO, bubble wrap!

justaguynpc
March 21st, 2007, 12:51 AM
I have recently went "avatar-less", thinking that I was kinda "pressured" into having one in the first place because everyone else was "doing-it." LOL

My user name is a response to my recent "migration" from "The Sates" to my new home in Canada. "Justaguy" is rather innocuous, wanting to be seen as nothing but an "ordinary-joe." (Joe was a nickname I grew up with, I share my father's name minus the "Jr." because I am the second son, not the first son who would have been a "Jr.")

"npc" needs a bit of explanation, n = "in" "pc", the name of my new town: Port Carling, in the province of Ontario. It is a small community in Cottage Country north of Toronto by about 2 hours. During "season" the population exceeds 30,000, but normally we are but about 600. It is an international summer resort area for the "well-to-do."

My partner and I are rehabiltating a 120 year old victorian, and will be running it as an inn when completed.

Enough said? :)

Cheers

tbodine
March 21st, 2007, 01:25 AM
Um, my name is Trask Bodine -- hence, "tbodine".
My avatar is a pixelated rendition of a picture of myself done by a fellow programmer from the Nonlogic community.
Why pixelated? Because my mug is ugly, and it looks better in pixels. And pixels look geekier. :)
Yup, no real psychology behind it.

Moeru
March 21st, 2007, 01:38 AM
My username was given to me by an ex of mine. I asked her to find me a new nickname that fit my explosive personality. Moeru means to be on fire (or a tense variation there of). I've kept it ever since.

My avatar is a Tux version of Grendizer. It was the closest thing I could find that matches my love of Super Robots with my enjoyment of playing with a new OS

dbbolton
March 21st, 2007, 01:55 AM
My username was given to me by an ex of mine. I asked her to find me a new nickname that fit my explosive personality. Moeru means to be on fire (or a tense variation there of). I've kept it ever since.

My avatar is a Tux version of Grendizer. It was the closest thing I could find that matches my love of Super Robots with my enjoyment of playing with a new OS
in which language ?

Belyel
March 21st, 2007, 02:11 AM
My username is actually a misspelling of my normal username belyle. I had typed it fast and didn't check it until _after_ I hit the register button. Ooops. The avatar is part of a piece I drew that I will eventually turn into my next tattoo. Oh, btw, belyle is something I made up a long time ago when I used to play everquest (eq1, n00bs), then I found out that it's an alternate spelling of belial, which is a god or demon of like bugs and pestilence. Which fit, cause I always use it for my necromancer characters in games.

yigal.weinstein
March 21st, 2007, 02:18 AM
painfully honest without imagination. Its just my first and last.

DoctorMO
March 21st, 2007, 03:30 AM
My name was given to me by a member of the #vb forum on irc freenode for helping out all the time; I was young and very enthusiastic to help; so much so that I would stay on for hours anwsering questions. It stuck because I have a rebellion against standard educational paths and like to think of myself as a witch doctor which is really a mirror of the fact that I will never be a real PhD wielding programmer, MO is me, Martin Owens.

The avatar is one of my inkscape creations, taking the wings of a dragon fly and the body of the baby tux. the current head gear is the cog from dohickey which I think resembles a Inca god of some kind. The faery shape is taken from the Bonita Sara tales which I most respect, it reminds me like all fae that no matter how good I think am I must always be kind, loving and humble like the fae characters in the books; holding back my own arrogance is my life's work.

Notes to others:

Lord Illiad: what servers where you on? I was on the EU Earthen Ring known as DrCC since DoctorMO was taken.
ManicMusician: I have a good friend of mine who is a KB fan, down with all that music. me I like Enya and Vivaldi.
RAVTUX: your avatar is distracting and I didn't even know it was you that has the old avatars.

General:

I recognise people by their pictures, I hardly ever read subject lines or author names, which explains why I read some posts as ... because nothing. and have to go routing for the first part of the message which was in the title. duh.

m.musashi
March 21st, 2007, 03:50 AM
in which language ?

It's Japanese. It means "to burn". It is the base form of the verb. If something burned you would say moeta. If it is currently burning you would say moetiru. It can also mean something could burn as in burnable but then it's just the base form again - moeru.

Sorry, probably more than you wanted to know.

dbbolton
March 21st, 2007, 04:42 AM
It's Japanese. It means "to burn". It is the base form of the verb. If something burned you would say moeta. If it is currently burning you would say moetiru. It can also mean something could burn as in burnable but then it's just the base form again - moeru.

Sorry, probably more than you wanted to know.
actually, i have a lot of brainspace that i'm not using. no worries

kostkon
March 21st, 2007, 06:34 AM
I thought of my username, kostkon, in about 1998 and it consists of the first four letters of my name and the first three letters of my surname. I like the sound of it and I also use it elsewere.

Now, about my avatar, it's Mufasa from the Disney animated movie The Lion King (1994) that I liked very much when I was younger. I was searching for a avatar to use when I registered in this forum and it happened to choose this character. I changed the image colours to match the ubuntu's ones, I also appended the ubuntu logo in it and that was it! Later, I also used this avatar elsewere.

Cheers

belikralj
March 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM
Well my user name means WhiteKing in serbian and basically I picked it (a little longer story) because of my email which is basically belikralj@.... which I opened for playing online chess and have since used if for this forum. No imagination there, as for my avatar I just like dragons, noble firebreathing in my opinion flying beast of wisdome and such. At least that was in the movie Dragon Heart. Anyway this avatar I picked because it is black and white, yes/no, yin/yang, simple but it does need an update.

Anyway the original poster person said s/he got to know us from our posts. I wonder.... did you see me posting too? I haven't been here a while, and now seing this topic I really wonder what impressions my username, avatar and signature give, don't you?

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 07:57 AM
i like this it's sorta like a meet and greet hi and your name is? mine is really just lazyness the navy gave me matthekc for my email/login and i use it the world around. I use different passwords though. matthews kevin c., and i can be found on other linux distro forums from time to time, digg, and osnews. I should set an avatar i need a good pic i have one on my myspace but it's more "time to party" than i would like here.

slayerboy
March 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM
My username has a kinda interesting/boring story....

Back when I was in high school, me and my sis went to a catholic high school. Well this was the start of my "rebel" phase that really has only kinder been quieted to a dull roar. I used to go to school with one of those biker leather jackets on, don't ask me why. I loved that jacket, and still use it 13 years later. Well, I was getting into heavier and heavier music, and I had just discovered the band Slayer. I loved them, and one day when I was hanging out at the mall (I used to be a mallrat), I saw a slayer hat, so I bought it and started wearing it to school.

My sister had a friend who almost never rode the bus we took, but one day she was on and just saw my hat because I was sleeping. She sat next to my sister and was like "Who's Slayerboy?" and my sis told her. I never found out until I got home and I liked the nickname so much that it stuck.

I used to go by the nickname of Doughboy and Tazrock. I never use Doughboy anymore, and sometimes use Tazrock online. But slayerboy just seems to fit me the best.

As far as my avatar, that's something new that I just started. I used to use a photoshopped version of the Black Label Society skull with the words "Got Label" above it. i still do on some sites. But one day I was fooling around with some pics I had and started doing some cropping and realized this made a pretty cool avatar. This is my first tattoo. It's a skull on my right shoulder. I also have a tribal dragon on my left shoulder, but this skull with the eyes is just awesome.

I plan on getting a tribute tattoo to Dimebag Darrell soon, and that might become my new avatar, we'll see. Down the road a few years I want to get a gargoyle on my back, and I know that one WILL be cropped into an avatar once that's done, but I've got a LONG ways to go for that.

:guitar:

eilu
March 21st, 2007, 11:41 AM
My forum name is my nickname (spelled that way, no caps), which is a portmanteu of my first and last name and fits me better than either one (it just does). It's pronounced "ai-loo" (ie. first sylable is a long I). If it's taken (or considered too short, as some places have a minimum length of 5 letters) I slap on '1183' after it, which is hashed from my birthday.
My avatar is usually my chop (chinese name seal) because it reflects part of my identity, but I decided to go for tux in armor because this is a linux forum. The armor becuase I'm a fighter by nature; I'm considering switching to the hannibal lecter tux because I feel that refects me more (yes, I am weird).

kazuya
March 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM
My avatar is that from Fei - ID from Xenogears rpg. The character is made up of multiple personalities that take on their own entirety separately. In the end, the character eventually unifies all of the personas as one being.

My username kazuya, is from the tekken series. Kazuya the character is a lad who was tossed off a cliff at young age by the father in other to instill the darkness required to survive in the cruel world. In the end, his father's wish comes true. He survives the near death experience by making pact with the devil. A lady Jun tried to save him in the form of an angel. In the end, the devil became his slave and he used the devil's gift as his own.

I just admired the character's resolve and strength.

moore.bryan
March 21st, 2007, 01:23 PM
username: 'cuz it's my name, so i can remember it.

use a name
March 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Uhm, I am not that good at thinking up names... I've only once reused a name, because I liked it. Otherwise it's just stupid... So, I came up with 'use a name'. Because, when you shift the emphasis a bit, you get 'username'... :-s

I think I'll try out a few of the graphics packages soon. I need to make myself one of those nice penguins. :)

Banished
March 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
I like fashion and shoes, my avatar are shoes from Victoria's Secret. When I'm gaming I usually use the last names of Victoria’s Secret supermodels for my leader names.

And my username is Banished, because...well I never really feel like I fit in...I have very different interests, as much as my friends love me, when I start talking about ...umm... technology/science/gaming ...I get tuned out very fast. Don't get me wrong, I really do have great friends...I can still talk to them about art, literature, fashion, and relationships ;-)

Orval
March 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
My nickname is the name of my favorite beer, one of the famous Belgian Trappists. Since I am a homebrewer, I thought my nickname on this forum had to do something with beer. For the beer lovers: it is not that difficult to clone the Orval once you have harvested and cultivated the yeast.

My avatar reflects my other hobby: birdwatching. Owls are my favorite birds. This one looks stern. Just like me. :lolflag:

manmower
March 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
My nickname is the name of my favorite beer, one of the famous Belgian Trappists.One of my favorites as well, peculiar in both taste and color, but an excellent beer, definitely something to savour.

My nick is the title of an equally excellent song by Motorpsycho, a Norwegian band who have made some great tunes and albums and enjoy moderate success in a few European countries. I've come to regret that the name "manmower" seems to suggest agression or violence, those who have heard the song, or even just glanced at the lyrics, will probably agree that's not at all what it is about.

My avatar is the cover of the Boards Of Canada album Twoism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twoism) and the picture is originally a still from a low budget sci-fi movie (http://www.avclub.com/content/node/23992) (which I've never actually watched but sounds like a good laugh from the description). I just like how the cover image ties into the title and mood of the record, making it a powerful image (for me personally at least).

m.musashi
March 22nd, 2007, 04:29 AM
I'm considering switching to the hannibal lecter tux because I feel that refects me more (yes, I am weird).
lol. Didn't know there was lecter tux.

My nickname is the name of my favorite beer, one of the famous Belgian Trappists. Since I am a homebrewer, I thought my nickname on this forum had to do something with beer. For the beer lovers: it is not that difficult to clone the Orval once you have harvested and cultivated the yeast.

My avatar reflects my other hobby: birdwatching. Owls are my favorite birds. This one looks stern. Just like me. :lolflag:
It's hard to find a good Belgian beer here but I live just minutes away from the New Belgium brewery. It's small comfort but they give free samples:).

BigBabyDaddy1968
March 22nd, 2007, 05:12 AM
The username is an old college nickname from a character I created in a dialect class. I liked "Big Baby Daddy" as a username, but had to add the number at the end for a yahoo account, so I kept it in forum use. As to the avatar, it's a relatively famous cover from "The Nation" which I have admired for a while. I also think it speaks particularly well as to my political leanings....

antenna
March 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
My username and avatar are from the album 'Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven' by my favourite band, Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Amazing music, really.

datelus
March 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
username is my nickname, it has been for me like 5 years from now :) its taken from a character from deus ex* game and modified a bit.

*Best game ever made, totaly non-childish, based on real political theories, lot of little features, that makes the game so pretty and nice. i usually dont like games, but this is something. its 3d action/rpg/strategy runs great on linux, has a loki installer ;) you shold give it a try

RAV TUX
June 23rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
username is my nickname, it has been for me like 5 years from now :) its taken from a character from deus ex* game and modified a bit.

*Best game ever made, totaly non-childish, based on real political theories, lot of little features, that makes the game so pretty and nice. i usually dont like games, but this is something. its 3d action/rpg/strategy runs great on linux, has a loki installer ;) you shold give it a tryCool Avatar. ;)

bchaffin72
June 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
I am a still a fan of the original Star trek, and often find myself drawn to Spock. I also tend to be the most rational,logic based person in my family, so I find some common ground with the character,as my attitudes and reactions often make me the odd one out. I also tend towards a high degree of emotional control and have a penchant for precise speaking that irritates some. I usually choose Spock as I seem to have much in common with the character.