PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend a customizable editor?

Burgresso
January 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm trying to find an editor where I can totally customize the colors - specifically, the background and text color. Anything else besides gedit?

thanks,

burgresso

raevin
January 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
If you're using KDE, KDevelop lets you customize it heavily...from what I've found anywho.

Kwrite I believe lets you do this as well.

As for an editor that works for both Gnome and KDE, try SciTE.

pmasiar
January 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
For python, I use SPE, partially because it allow to set background colors. I set strings, comment, and multi-line comment with background. Have eclipse - did not found way to do that. language -specific features of SPE are nice (like sidebar with function names), and generic editors are not **that** sophisticated.

For everything else, SciTE, er even default Midnight Commander editor in character mode (no GUI). And of course Eclipse for java :-(

NoWhereMan
January 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
For everything else, SciTE

last time I tried SciTE was slow as hell under linux; and btw it may have issues with newlines characters (DOS/UNIX compatibility)

Mirrorball
January 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Kate and Eclipse. I just checked and they let you customize colors.

raevin
January 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM
last time I tried SciTE was slow as hell under linux; and btw it may have issues with newlines characters (DOS/UNIX compatibility)

It's not that bad now though :) It works wonderfully for PHP too, so...

pmasiar
January 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM

How many olympics ago did you tried SciTE? :twisted: Now speed is not a problem (I don't have any ancient memory-restricted boxes around to realy challenge it), and you can select line end and convert it. Just IMHO, YMMV. :D

NoWhereMan
January 5th, 2007, 08:38 PM
How many olympics ago did you tried SciTE? :twisted:
On a Duron 900 laptop was far slower than gedit

and you can select line end and convert it

sure but if you open a DOS (\n\r) file and your newline policy defaults to \n (UNIX way) it will mix them up :twisted: and you won't ever notice it unless you make it show newlines or until you open it with, say vim, where you'll see a whole lot of damn ^M chars; btw there's an auto-convert somewhere in the settings but I preferred to just switch (on win I use Notepad++ which is still Scintilla based, though)

bye