View Full Version : KDE 4.0 is it good for Linux ?

January 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM
you might think I'm crazy, cuz KDE4 will be better faster and will have a better graphics and new features BUT it will also have a "new" license.

"the biggest change is going to be inside the hood so to speak. KDE 4.0 will be using Qt 4.2 library which brings with it its own extensive set of improvements. For instance, Qt 4 is designed to save lots of memory and will perform faster. Besides the speed improvement, Qt 4 has a lot of other features and some things are simplified. So programmers need less time to develop applications which run in KDE 4.0.

And since Qt 4 library has been released under GPL, one can look forward to KDE 4.0 being ported to Windows and Mac OSX. Earlier versions of Qt is available under GPL only on unix/X11 and is released under a commercial license for development in Windows and Mac OSX . So KDE 3.x and earlier which uses Qt 3.x found it difficult to be ported to these platforms."

so what do you think ...if KDE4 will be ported to windows and MAC ....will it be good for Linux ?

January 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
as i understand it qt4 will make it easier to port kde apps to windows and mac os x. this makes it possible for people to move incrementally from windows to linux.

January 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I don't think the availability of Linux programs on windows will affect Linux adoption in a negative way. Not many people use Linux only because they want to use KDE so badly for example. Rather the other way around.
As stated above it will rather have positive effects.

January 5th, 2007, 02:04 PM
If you use it on Windows and Mac, and you know what you're using now, then migrating to Linux is easier, of course I have no idea why you would want to use it on a Mac?

January 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Some clarifications:

- KDE 4 will not have a new license.
- Qt open source edition has been GPL since Qt 2, except on Windows. Qt 4 makes it also GPL on Windows.
- KDE 4 will not be ported to Windows or Mac. Some parts of KDE have been ported to Mac, but not everything.
- KDE 4 code can be ported to Windows, because of the change in Qt 4's license on Windows. It does not mean, however, that it will. It will be up to the developers and maintainers of different modules, or if there will be people willing to do the work, as some devs do not want to. There's a big difference between "can port" and "will port"

Will KDE 4 be good for Linux? Only time can tell. But imho, it certainly will.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I didn't vote. The poll already presumes the fact that KDE 4 will indeed be ported to Windows and Mac.

January 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I don't see how it would be 'bad' for Linux. It may be good in the sense that people may want to know where KDE came from, and so they may think 'oh, so Linux isn't just a command line!', which can only really improve Linux' image, but I don't think it would make people switch just yet. A desktop environment isn't really a decisive factor, is it? I mean, nobody bought an XBox 360 because of the Dashboard, did they? They're interested in the games. The time spent using the desktop environment is minimal.

Lord Illidan
January 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I don't see how porting open source apps to windows is bad for linux. It makes it even easier to switch, in fact.