PDA

View Full Version : need special software

djheadley
January 5th, 2007, 06:03 AM
I finally got a friend of mine to consider Linux and he said that if I could find a special program for him that he would definately try it. The problem is that he owns a cattle ranch (in the US) where he raises registered cattle and some mixed breed for consumption. I think I've found the program he needs to keep track of his equipment and repair needs but I can't seem to find ANYTHING relating to cattle ranching. If I can get him set up then I might be able yo get my foot in the door with other farmers and ranchers.

I think I've looked just about everywhere (for the past week) and I can't seem to find anything close (it can cost $). Any suggestions?

](*,)

Dmole
January 5th, 2007, 06:11 AM
can you give the name of a windows alternative?
use the windows app with WINE?
it's basically accounting, maintenance or POS software ?
I'll write it for you if you Pay me :-D

djheadley
January 5th, 2007, 06:24 AM
The only programs I've seen are older propriatart programs written for early windows and even dos. I don't remember the names. I could write it myself as my senior project was a simular program for a goat dairy (anybody remember BASIC?). I don't want to start from scratch as that is about a 6 month project - if everything goes well. I'm just hoping for something.

djheadley
January 10th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I really hate to bump but I'm running out of ideas to google.

Biggus
January 10th, 2007, 03:10 AM
No need to apologise, 4 days is quite sufficient to warrant a bump I feel.

Is it just a simple database you need?

Or maybe a little spreadsheet?

Or maybe a combination of both?

If that is the case, then maybe the Open Office package would be of some use to you, and enable you to set up a little package which would fulfill your needs in a relatively short space of time.

djheadley
January 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Actually he'll need a relational database to keep track of some pedigreed animals (bulls), cows that were bred by these bulls, production records of the cows (offspring), health records of all animals, origin of all animals, if sold, where the animals went, and a couple of more things I can't think of now (midnight after a loooong day). This guy isn't a hobby farmer and I'm not really sure how large his herds are as he owns & leases quite a bit of land around here. I'm still googling everything I can think of and there are plenty of systems for Windows but I've not found any viable projects for Linux yet. I guess I'll get a thesaurus and keep at it. :-)

Sammi
January 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Well I have no idea about a relational database, but I have heard of GNUcash, which is supposed to be albe to satisfy the needs of most small businesses. And it's in the repositories.

http://www.gnucash.org/

Tomosaur
January 10th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Linux has a wealth of database software, but it really depends on the application (here, cattle) and any extra software which would be integrated with the database. A lot of the time, these kinds of software are really custom-tailored versions of existing software. Without knowing the name of the software he's used to, it's difficult to tell if it's available on Linux. Does he have any experience with SQL? If so, then he could feasibly continue his business by just using basic SQL and some database software like postgresql or MySQL. There are lots of apps available which sit on top of postgresql ad mysql, and basically just give a graphical front end to it. I wouldn't imagine there'd be anything specifically relating to cattle out there, since most tend to assume the user knows what he wants. The apps available generally just make it easier for the user to create the necessary tables and relations without having to delve into the command line.

So anyway, if you can find the name of the software he's currently using, we may be able to find out if it, or something similar, is available on Linux, or even whether it runs on Wine.