PDA

View Full Version : Python - Convert word to list

Mithrilhall
January 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I would like to take a simple string in python and convert it into a list (1 character per element). Any suggestions?

txtTest = "Hello"

txtList[0] = "H"
txtList[1] = "e"
txtList[2] = "l"
txtList[3] = "l"
txtList[4] = "0"

meng
January 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Have you had any thoughts as to how you would approach this?

pmasiar
January 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM
string *is* list of characters. It is python after all - simple things are easy, hard things are possible :-)

>>> test = 'hello'
>>> test[1:3]
'el'

>>> for c in test: print c

h
e
l
l
o

Update: I stay corrected, string is *sequence* but not *list*. As meng said, it is not mutable (you cannot assign to elements). Difference depends on what methods you need to use on it. String has these methods:

>>> dir(test)
['__add__', '__class__', '__contains__', '__delattr__', '__doc__', '__eq__', '__ge__', '__getattribute__', '__getitem__', '__getnewargs__', '__getslice__', '__gt__', '__hash__', '__init__', '__le__', '__len__', '__lt__', '__mod__', '__mul__', '__ne__', '__new__', '__reduce__', '__reduce_ex__', '__repr__', '__rmod__', '__rmul__', '__setattr__', '__str__', 'capitalize', 'center', 'count', 'decode', 'encode', 'endswith', 'expandtabs', 'find', 'index', 'isalnum', 'isalpha', 'isdigit', 'islower', 'isspace', 'istitle', 'isupper', 'join', 'ljust', 'lower', 'lstrip', 'replace', 'rfind', 'rindex', 'rjust', 'rsplit', 'rstrip', 'split', 'splitlines', 'startswith', 'strip', 'swapcase', 'title', 'translate', 'upper', 'zfill']

It has replace and translate, but no per-item assignment

meng
January 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM
string *is* list of characters
Well I'm no expert, but I believe a list is mutable and a string isn't. So it's only a list of characters in the colloquial sense of the word.

<mawe>
January 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Hi!

>>> txt = "hello"
>>> txt_list = list(txt)
>>> txt_list
['h', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o']

Regards, mawe

pmasiar
January 4th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Ok, you can use list complehension to convert it to real list if you so desire:

>>> parts = [c for c in test]
>>> parts

ghostdog74
January 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I believe this is what you want?

>>> test = 'hello'
>>> list(test)

Mithrilhall
January 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Actually...what you have above works perfectly for what I need. I can't believe it was that easy! ](*,)

txtText = "Hello"

print txtText[0]

H

Thank you.

<mawe>
January 4th, 2007, 04:32 PM
@ghostdog74: Isn't this exactly what I posted? ;)

pmasiar
January 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Actually...what you have above works perfectly for what I need. I can't believe it was that easy! ](*,)

It happens with me all the time: you start coding, you need something, and then you find python has build-in feature for it. In python lore, it is called "Guido's time machine".

I dug couple links for you: how programming in python is different (http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html) and how the time machine came to existence (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-April/032164.html). :-) Timbot is nick of python developer, presumably Tim Peters, but not believed be human - no human can respond to that many emails *and* write code *and still* have sense of humor (http://www.python.org/doc/Humor.html). Because robots obviously cannot have sense of humor, timbot must be alien :-)

Mithrilhall
January 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the links pmasiar.

tseliot
January 4th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Hi!

>>> txt = "hello"
>>> txt_list = list(txt)
>>> txt_list

Regards, mawe

OR, if you have time to waste (2 seconds? :p ) and you don't want to use "list" (if you like "for" better) you can try with:

txtTest = 'Hello'
txtList = []

for i in txtTest:
txtList.append(i)

print txtList