PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: Ohio LoCo Education Team

TheIdiotThatIsMe
January 4th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Howdy everyone on the Ohio LoCo Team!

Note: To avoid any confusion, my proposal does not have anything to do with converting education institutions to Linux.

P.S. Note: This topic has also been sent via mailing list.

Why:
I am a firm believer that an easy path of transition to Linux is to train users in other Free software that is available for both Windows and Linux. At my college, I have recently been approved to start my own series of workshops and training sessions that will by taught by myself on campus and open to the community for free. The subjects in the training courses will vary, but many of them deal with training users in common basic and intermediate level tasks with Free software. For example, one session I'm having is going to be on using and managing email with Mozilla Thunderbird. During the session I will explain using some extra features of email (copy, blind copy, mailing lists, forwarding) and setting up email inside Thunderbird. Another session I will be doing will be Expanding The Web (using Firefox) to teach about profile management, RSS feeds, extensions, etc. Eventually, once users become comfortable with these programs, when we offer to switch them to Linux, they wont give up their programs they are comfortable with! When you hold your next install fest in your local area that you have been training, it can be a selling point that all these programs you've trained them in are available in a safer and more customizable environment.

How:
A good approach to educating users may to be to construct local workshops and training courses in your area that is open and free to the community. Good locations for this may be your local high school, college (or university), or local computer shops (education institutions always love an extra boost to public image to the community, and computer shops are likely to agree for an increase in customer base). Another location may be your local library also.

It has been suggested by Vorian to include Moodle for teaching. I think Moodle looks to be a wonderful tool, that may be used to either enhance higher level workshops (if you choose to do so) using regional courses, and/or also provide higher level coures online state wide. However, for lower level courses (such as mine) I believe it would be more effective to offer them in person with hands on training, maybe using Moodle for expanded teaching outside the workshop or for sharing resources.

Goals:
*To educate and train users on Free software, including but not limited to Linux.
*To draft proposals for team members to start local workshops.
*To create and share resources such as lesson plans, class ideas, and software CD's.
*To offer a service to the community for free to advance their skills using Free software.

Vorian
January 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
TheIdiotThatIsMe!!!! Great thinking!
This is a wonderful Idea, and it falls into Local Support for the Ubuntu project

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/local
Face to Face Local Support

Our worldwide network of Local Community ("LoCo") teams is providing a strong backbone to our already vast and extensive Ubuntu community. Many of these teams provide free face to face local support, such as one-on-one troubleshooting, group sessions, and presentations about Ubuntu. Why not go and see the full list of teams (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList)!
It would be great to pioneer this concept!

*This would fall under the New User Team

meatballhat
January 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
This project will be a great learning experience for our LoCo Team. After some discussion on IRC, I that this should be spec'd on Launchpad and documented on the Wiki so that Team members can more directly monitor its progress. Anybody else feel the same?

TheIdiotThatIsMe
January 11th, 2007, 04:48 PM
This project will be a great learning experience for our LoCo Team. After some discussion on IRC, I that this should be spec'd on Launchpad and documented on the Wiki so that Team members can more directly monitor its progress. Anybody else feel the same?

I certainly feel the same, and now that it has also been agreed to be under NU for less confusion instead of it's own subteam, I have gone ahead and joined NU. I will post any resources I create as progress, and will do write ups after each lesson here so others can view the success (or lack thereof) and also garner feedback to make adjustments to any replicated workshops.

oprogue
January 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Please do post back your findings. I am attempting to use Moodle now, but the host is a shared host and I am having to limit the number of connections least I flood the server with requests. I've found I can have approximately 6-8 connections without slowing things down, a dedicated server is the only way to go. I currently have several ubuntu boxes I've been toying with and am interested in using one of the boxes as a dedicated machine.

I'd also like to see how you arrange your course materials ... there needs to be a central resource for educators to post lesson plans and ideas regarding their moodle/ubuntu experiences.

Vorian
January 16th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Alright Anthony, its all yours now :mrgreen:

https://launchpad.net/~ohio-edu/