PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Post At Ubuntuforums.com! - Use Ubuntuforums.org! [Resolved]

emarkay
January 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM
For the past few days I have NOT been able to log into the forums - all my bookmarks to posts will not let me log in, either.

APPARENTLY, recently, SOMEONE decided to change this from a ".COM" to a ".ORG" and told no one except maybe a few...
What is this a Y2K+7 joke???

Googling found a post here that said this - and that the ".COM" is now just a placeholder domain. Why not just put up a page that says just that at the ".COM" page???
OR
Wouldn't a BIG NOTE at the TOP of all the pages her and there be a smart idea to tell us about this change?

Moderator[s] if you please, DON'T MOVE THIS POST TO SOMEWHERE OBSCURE.

Thank you!

taurus
January 4th, 2007, 04:38 AM
It's always been .org!!!

Hendrixski
January 4th, 2007, 04:40 AM
I thought it was always Ubungutforums.org
though now that I look at .com there's actually a page there. hhhmm maybe it's late and I'm confused

emarkay
January 4th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Well not according to my bookmarks - I have always been using .COM.

borris.morris
Are you joking me?!?! It's been ubuntuforums.org for as long as I've known. Also, why would one want people to stop helping noobs find there way around Ubuntu? Do you have a better idea or place to post? Is this a creul joke? I can't believe some people.

nix4me
Yeah, always been .org. I visited .com and the messages here are being posted there.

Weird

nix4me

nix4me
January 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM
By the way, linux has replaced windows in my house.

nix4me

borris.morris
January 4th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I went to "ubuntuforums.com" and it redirected me to "ubuntuforums.org". It just redirects you.

emarkay
January 4th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Now that I can get in and all that I see a fair amount of other folks have foiund this same problem - just search on "cookies" for example.

Just think someone needs to make this clear somewher - it's been a baffling few hours tonite trying to solve this problem.

I have now changed my bookmarked posts from ".COM" to ".ORG".](*,)

d3v1ant_0n3
January 4th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks to the joy that is the Foxmarks extension for Firefox, I've had Ubuntuforums.org on my bookmarks toolbar since I registered here, and it's always been a .org for me.

What the hoof is going on?

aysiu
January 4th, 2007, 04:52 AM
This is silly.

I have been using these forums since May 2005, and it's always been .org

Edit: I've moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

I also tested out ubuntuforums.com, and it redirects to .org.

Interestedinthepenguin
January 4th, 2007, 05:01 AM
When I visit ubuntuforums.com, I'm not logged in. I've got myself "remembered", too. Is that normal?

I'm just curious.

Btw: About a month ago tried to go to ubuntuforums.com because I couldn't remember the domain (crippled myself with firefox), and the ubuntuforums weren't there.

po0f
January 4th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I can't find the thread, but only recently did ubuntu-geek change uf.com to redirect to uf.org.

Before it wouldn't redirect and someone else was having an issue with logging into the uf.com website. It wasn't/isn't a joke, there's no need for hostility towards the OP. The issues been fixed, let's move on.

aysiu
January 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I can't find the thread, but only recently did ubuntu-geek change uf.com to redirect to uf.org.

Before it wouldn't redirect and someone else was having an issue with logging into the uf.com website. It wasn't/isn't a joke, there's no need for hostility towards the OP. The issues been fixed, let's move on.
Thanks for the clarification. Should we consider this issue resolved, then?

po0f
January 4th, 2007, 05:37 AM
aysiu,

I think it's safe to say yes. ;)

aysiu
January 4th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I've marked it resolved, then.

emarkay
January 4th, 2007, 05:44 AM
OK the URL "http://www.ubuntuforums.com/" may redirect to "http://www.ubuntuforums.org/"
but someone needs to clarify that INDIVIDUAL post URL's will do so too. I don't see that happening.

Thus anyone who last year bookmarked a thread like:
http://www.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?p=1964823#post1964823
Will furstratingly encounter a no-log-in... :evil: + ](*,) + :confused:

aysiu
January 4th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Well, I think instead of being frustrated, that user can change it to .org

Thanks for raising awareness on this issue.

po0f
January 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM
emarkay,

If you're using Firefox, bookmarks should be in a file called "bookmarks.html". I can write a script that will change all instances of ubuntuforums.com to ubuntuforums.org if you want.