PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and The Geek

Ripfox
January 4th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I just saw a dude on the tv show Beauty and The Geek say "The thing I hate the most is when people say their computer crashed and I say, thats because you aren't using Linux, your using XP and it's not stable...Linux is stable" Too bad he got eliminated heheh...but at least he got one in on national tv! :cool:

meng
January 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Must be why he got eliminated - rigged by Microsoft! :D

Ripfox
January 4th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Nah he got eliminated cuz the girl thought the...get this...NEXT election was "Nov. 2006"

linuxfanatic1024
January 6th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Must be why he got eliminated - rigged by Microsoft! :D

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

macogw
January 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Can they make a version of this show where the chick's the geek? Chix0r and the ...something?

stimpack
January 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, a show where the women are smart sexy geeks, not dumb media-friendly bimbos.

macogw
January 6th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Tempted to nominate Val Henson for one of the women on there, but I think she has a boyfriend. Val is a kernel hacker who worked on ext4fs. She's insanely smart, and she could kick most guys' butts.

Still....assumptions that all geeks are male must die. The first programmer was a chick!

EDIT: just noticed that ext4 is *not* the fs she's working on. Her's is chunkfs.

finer recliner
January 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Yeah, a show where the women are smart sexy geeks, not dumb media-friendly bimbos.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/01/03/rocket.scientist/p1_summerwilliams1.jpg

texas cheerleader that also works for nasa....sweet (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/01/03/rocket.scientist/?cnn=yes)

macogw
January 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
ooo neat!

also neat: finer recliner's sig is a Catch-22 quote

finer recliner
January 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM
ooo neat!

also neat: finer recliner's sig is a Catch-22 quote

:cool: :cool:

amborle
January 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
close up of that girl, she's packin'

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/01/03/rocket.scientist/p1_summercheer2.jpg

maniacmusician
January 6th, 2007, 11:06 PM
:rollseyes: yeah, its her sexy looks that got her where she is

but in all seriousness, this is a pretty controversial topic. my take on it is that women with brains (any women really) should feel free to be sexy yet not feel like they have to. <-- That's very oversimplified of course. There's a lot of women that feel like they have to fulfill some "attractive quotient" in order to be acceptable, which is heartbreaking. But this has all been said before

[scratches head] I don't know what it was exactly that I wanted to say. I'll stop with "I like smart girls. Stupid girls; not so much."

Ripfox
January 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
All you need is a girl who won't get crazy when you "ubuntu" too much :)
All kidding aside, my gf likes the fact that I am looking into new stuff all the time, and she does the same. She is into Zen and cooking arts and stuff, and I am into my band and my Ubuntu quest...makes for a good time.

Somenoob
January 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM
No offence to fans, but it's such an awful show,

macogw
January 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM
All you need is a girl who won't get crazy when you "ubuntu" too much :)
All kidding aside, my gf likes the fact that I am looking into new stuff all the time, and she does the same. She is into Zen and cooking arts and stuff, and I am into my band and my Ubuntu quest...makes for a good time.
You know, for the reputation geeks have for being male, I have a tough time finding geeky guys to date. I've met quite a few geeky guys, and I like geeks, but they're usually freakishly old guys hitting on me in the computer section of a bookstore. Even my bf is 12 years older than me, and he's a young'n compared to the rest of the LUG. At school I know 2 other Linux chicks and only like 4 Linux guys, but you usually hear that the difference is much broader. I don't like when I get this: :neutral: :-? :confused: because I talk about recompiling the kernel or something, but most guys do just that.

miceagol
January 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
From the Norwegian Beauty and the Geek (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_CidIS8YM)...
The stereotypical blonde in action. :shock:

Ripfox
January 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Let me just say, for the record, I am not a "fan" of the show, I started this thread because I saw one of the "geeks" mention Linux as a better OS than XP....:)

But yea, I watched the rest of it :eek:

maddog39
January 9th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Hah, never watched the show (or atleast not yet) so I can't say much. But from what everyone is saying, I should watch atleast one episode, but some of the commercials for the shows had some pretty extreme geeks, I even laughed at it myself.

Ripfox
March 26th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Ok so, not to revisit this thread too long, but dammit I thought i had to say something here!

Yet another of the "geeks" this year during his interview made reference to Linux, and said he was a "recovering Microsoft addict" and had been "Microsoft free" for 10 years.

Guess what, he was the first person to get eliminated JUST LIKE THE LAST SEASON with the dude who was a Linux advocate getting eliminated first!!

CONSPIRACY? HMM? MICROSOFT IS ASSASINATING REALITY SHOW CONTESTANTS!!

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

schauerlich
March 26th, 2008, 05:07 AM
This season has definitely gone down hill. They don't even pair them up anymore, it's just Beauties v. Geeks. Lame.

I seem to remember a contestant from season 2 mentioning Linux and going pretty far.

madjr
March 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Ok so, not to revisit this thread too long, but dammit I thought i had to say something here!

Yet another of the "geeks" this year during his interview made reference to Linux, and said he was a "recovering Microsoft addict" and had been "Microsoft free" for 10 years.

Guess what, he was the first person to get eliminated JUST LIKE THE LAST SEASON with the dude who was a Linux advocate getting eliminated first!!

CONSPIRACY? HMM? MICROSOFT IS ASSASINATING REALITY SHOW CONTESTANTS!!

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

linux geeks beware !

You know, for the reputation geeks have for being male, I have a tough time finding geeky guys to date. I've met quite a few geeky guys, and I like geeks, but they're usually freakishly old guys hitting on me in the computer section of a bookstore. Even my bf is 12 years older than me, and he's a young'n compared to the rest of the LUG. At school I know 2 other Linux chicks and only like 4 Linux guys, but you usually hear that the difference is much broader. I don't like when I get this: because I talk about recompiling the kernel or something, but most guys do just that.

anyone must be crazy to let you get away

love "chicks" who dig kernel stuff :lolflag:

u married yet ?

*sings stallman's FOSS song* :guitar: