PDA

View Full Version : proxy server error

M8M
January 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Hi,

I was looking around and decided to try out the ubuntu CE edition. I had edubuntu previously installed. At the ubuntu CE website there was a link for downloading the environment without completly reinstalling ubuntu. I used that link and installed the ubuntu CE, which so far I like. The only problem is that since I did that I cannot use Firefox. I keep getting this error:

The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

* Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.

* Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
working.
I followed instrucitons at another link to fix problems with Firefox and I´ve even disabled Dansguard, but I still get the same error. Can someone help me solve this?

Thanks in advance,
M8M

HareBall
January 4th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Hi,

I was looking around and decided to try out the ubuntu CE edition. I had edubuntu previously installed. At the ubuntu CE website there was a link for downloading the environment without completly reinstalling ubuntu. I used that link and installed the ubuntu CE, which so far I like. The only problem is that since I did that I cannot use Firefox. I keep getting this error:

The proxy server is refusing connections

Firefox is configured to use a proxy server that is refusing connections.

* Check the proxy settings to make sure that they are correct.

* Contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is
working.
I followed instrucitons at another link to fix problems with Firefox and I´ve even disabled Dansguard, but I still get the same error. Can someone help me solve this?

Thanks in advance,
M8M
Go to this thread and try it http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312061
It worked for me:)

M8M
January 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Ok, I tried following those instructions, but the ¨run in terminal¨ option doesn show up. However, the reason I wanted to switch to ubuntu CE is that I want to try out the Dansguard for my children (I have 8 and can´t watch them online ALL the time and they are so gifted and ¨accidentally¨ ended up where they aren´t supposed to when I´m not around....). Does Dansguard not work with Firefox? I like Firefox MUCH better than Mozilla web browser. (Again, I´m confused b/c I thought Firefox was from Mozilla. One day I´ll get it all, it´s just too much to learn all at once right now...). I guess I just have to go slowly....

Thanks,
M8M