PDA

View Full Version : I made the switch and set up a website about it

bd80599
January 2nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hello everyone. For those of you that don't feel like reading my ramblings, the website is here (http://all.ofthe.info).

For a long time I've wanted to make the switch from Windows to Ubuntu. For a while I dabbled in Fedora, but found it to have a somewhat steap learning curve, and compared to Windows the usablity wasn't fantastic.

Then, about two months ago, I found Ubuntu and fell in love with it.

But, as I was setting up my computer, I got frustrated that there really wasn't a central "how-to" guide. A certain net savvy was required to find the appropriate install document for certain things (for instance, Beryl. Or my quasi-supported scanner).

As a result, I reformatted my computer and started over. Only this time, I took a website I had that was gathering dust and turned it into a place where I could document each step of the way. Additionally, considering that I really don't want to pay for Vista when it comes out (nor be a de-facto beta tester for them - I have early adapter syndrome), I challenged myself - could I go a year on Ubuntu without sacrificing anything? So far, so good!

Thanks for reading, hope you visit!

-Andrew Dain
http://all.ofthe.info

BarfBag
January 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
That is such a cool domain! Nice site too. :mrgreen:

jincast90
January 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
The domain reminds me of del.icio.us
Did you take inspiration from that name? :)

bd80599
January 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, about a year ago, when del.ico.us was in the news, it only took me about a day to figure out that del.ico.us = delicious. After that, I spend a few more days trying to come up with a similar domain name hoping to "ride the wave" and become a millionaire overnight. Then I realized that you actually need content for people to visit a website, and I put it off to the side where it was collecting cobwebs until now.

jincast90
January 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Then I realized that you actually need content for people to visit a website

Oh Yeah, you are right. Thanks for the reminder :)