PDA

View Full Version : HELP needed on C++ code

vze4p6c2
January 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, what is wrong with this code??

//Theoretically, this program simple outputs:

//START...

#include <iostream>

class Ratio {
public:
Ratio(void):top_speed(0), top_distance(0), top_score(0) {start(void);}
protected:
double top_speed, top_distance, top_score;
void start(void) {std::cout<<"START..." << std::endl;}
};

int main(void) {
Ratio boat_1;
return 0;
}

I get the GCC compiler error:

code.cpp: In constructor ‘Ratio::Ratio()’:
code.cpp:10: error: expected primary-expression before ‘void’

Thanks a lot.

Wybiral
January 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM
You must be comming in from the C world, in c++, if a function doesn't require any parameters, you don't put "void" as a parameter. This should compile...

#include <iostream>

class Ratio {
public:
Ratio():top_speed(0), top_distance(0), top_score(0) {start();}
protected:
double top_speed, top_distance, top_score;
void start() {std::cout<<"START..." << std::endl;}
};

int main() {
Ratio boat_1;
return 0;
}

vze4p6c2
January 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
oh wow, so simple... Thanks a lot man.

hod139
January 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
You must be comming in from the C world, in c++, if a function doesn't require any parameters, you don't put "void" as a parameter. This should compile...

There is nothing wrong with specifying void in the parameter list of a function, and in fact I do it all the time just for extra clarity. The problem with the code was stated explicitly in the error message and is when he calls the start function. You can't pass void as an argument to a function. The only thing that has to change is line 10 with the removal of void from the call to start, the line would look like:

Ratio(void):top_speed(0), top_distance(0), top_score(0) {start();}

Then the code would compile.

Wybiral
January 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah, but it's really just unnecessary code to type to have to put void in all parameterless functions. I actually wasn't even aware you could declare them with void as a parameter, I thought that was strictly a C thing.

hod139
January 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, but it's really just unnecessary code to type to have to put void in all parameterless functions. I actually wasn't even aware you could declare them with void as a parameter, I thought that was strictly a C thing. Most people will probably agree with you. The only reason void is in C++ parameter lists is because of C and backwards compatibility. In C void f() and void f(void) are different.

Houman
January 3rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Hi there;

Here is an interesting bit of info about the f() versus f(void) problem: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/newbie.html#faq-29.4

A direct quote from the FAQ:
the f(void) style has been called an "abomination" by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, Dennis Ritchie, the co-creator of C, and Doug McIlroy, head of the research department where Unix was born.

regards

Houman